• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are you confusing Monopoly guy with Mr. Peanut? Moneybags never had a monocle as far as I remember.
You only think he had a monocle because that's part of the rich old man trope. But that's one thing Mr. Moneybags never had
This is Mr. Moneybags. He has a monocle, see? See!?

Here's where it gets real:

The Monopoly man's name is Rich Uncle Pennybags.

Not Moneybags.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
'What's all this chatter about C3P0's silver leg? Threepio has always been all gold?"
HOLY SHIT HE ALWAYS HAD A SILVER LEG! - me, last night

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Worst one for me is that Queen's we are the champions song does NOT end by "of the wooooorld".

I can HEAR IT

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Mandela effect" is a fancy way of saying "I fucking forgot something".

*You* thought he had a monocle. I didn't.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
'What's all this chatter about C3P0's silver leg? Threepio has always been all gold?"
HOLY SHIT HE ALWAYS HAD A SILVER LEG! - me, last night
I wish someone would explain to me how C-3PO suddenly has a gold right foot after being put back together by Chewie when throughout A New Hope and up to the point of him being shot at Cloud City in ESB his right foot along with the rest of his lower leg is silver.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
this being nothing more than not clearly remembering things is kind of obvious because its only affecting really old things that seem easy to misremember. try telling me the mandela effect changed Master Chief from Halo to Mister chief, or Call of Duty to Call of Dooty, not gonna happen because i just played these games. maybe in 25 years or so then we can claim mandela effect when we just forget.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Mandela effect" is a fancy way of saying "I fucking forgot something".

*You* thought he had a monocle. I didn't.
No, this is selling the phenomenon way too shortly. It's not about people forgetting or misremembering stuff, it is about collective wrong memories of masses that cannot be reasonably explained. For example, someone mentioned C-3PO's silver leg above. This can easily be explained, because the silver leg does not stand out a lot, early VHS and DVD home releases made it hard to spot due to compression and color grading, so it can easily be explained why people would miss it for like 30 years and then only start to spot it when HD releases with more picture clarity become more common. So, this is not a Mandela effect since there is simple and obvious reasoning to explain it.

On the other hand, I experienced the effect myself with the movie Shazaam. Or more precisely, Kazaam, because the movie I remember doesn't exist. It never did. After I found out about this, I watched Kazaam and that was not the movie I remembered. This alone can be explained with me simply misremembering, no big deal. But it cannot be explained why there are hundreds, thousands even who remember the same wrong movie, with the same wrong title, the same wrong actor, the same wrong plot exactly like I do. People tried to explain it because Sinbad once did a skit where he was dressed as a genie, so people probably remembered that and mixed that up with their memories of Kazaam. There's only one problem: I am not from the US, so I never knew anything about Sinbad, not even his name, and certainly not one specific skit that was never aired in my territory. The only other work I ever saw him in was Jingle all the way, and even back then I did not now about the actor's name. So, no. There is more to this effect than that "I fucking forgot something". Trust me that it is a very strange feeling to witness that you completely misremember something, only to find out that you are entirely wrong, and then find out that there are countless others who share your exact memory after being "proven" wrong.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is selling the phenomenon way too shortly. It's not about people forgetting or misremembering stuff, it is about collective wrong memories of masses that cannot be reasonably explained. For example, someone mentioned C-3PO's silver leg above. This can easily be explained, because the silver leg does not stand out a lot, early VHS and DVD home releases made it hard to spot due to compression and color grading, so it can easily be explained why people would miss it for like 30 years and then only start to spot it when HD releases with more picture clarity become more common. So, this is not a Mandela effect since there is simple and obvious reasoning to explain it.

On the other hand, I experienced the effect myself with the movie Shazaam. Or more precisely, Kazaam, because the movie I remember doesn't exist. It never did. After I found out about this, I watched Kazaam and that was not the movie I remembered. This alone can be explained with me simply misremembering, no big deal. But it cannot be explained why there are hundreds, thousands even who remember the same wrong movie, with the same wrong title, the same wrong actor, the same wrong plot exactly like I do. People tried to explain it because Sinbad once did a skit where he was dressed as a genie, so people probably remembered that and mixed that up with their memories of Kazaam. There's only one problem: I am not from the US, so I never knew anything about Sinbad, not even his name, and certainly not one specific skit that was never aired in my territory. The only other work I ever saw him in was Jingle all the way, and even back then I did not now about the actor's name. So, no. There is more to this effect than that "I fucking forgot something". Trust me that it is a very strange feeling to witness that you completely misremember something, only to find out that you are entirely wrong, and then find out that there are countless others who share your exact memory after being "proven" wrong.

It's not real. If people misremember the same thing as eachother sometimes it's because they're all wrong for the same reasons. A simple example is monopoly. People associate a monocle with a tophat and it leads to an assumption. It's that simple.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not real. If people misremember the same thing as eachother sometimes it's because they're all wrong for the same reasons. A simple example is monopoly. People associate a monocle with a tophat and it leads to an assumption. It's that simple.
It is literally not "that simple" when I gave you a detailed example of something far more complicated, far less explainable. How can thousands be wrong for the same reason if these reasons vary wildly between demographics? How can I remember the look and mannerism of an actor I didn't know? Why don't I remember the look and mannerism of an actor I supposedly saw instead of the one I remember? You are selling it shortly.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is confusing me. Not one mention of the original:
I suppose calling this The Mandela Effect sounds slightly snappier than 'I Misremembered Something But I'm Too Delusional To Admit I Have A Faulty Memory'-Effect.
It's called this because a huge swathe of people globally swear they remember Nelson Mandela died in prison in the nineties. I'm one them.

QUOTE="biggy, post: 28941407, member: 35987"]
No, the Mandela effect. It's where force ghost Nelson Mandela enters your head and and makes you misremember commercial mascots.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh.....

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is confusing me. Not one mention of the original:

It's called this because a huge swathe of people globally swear they remember Nelson Mandela died in prison in the nineties. I'm one them.
Yes, a lot of people misremember stuff and are too delusional to admit they're wrong.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a lot of people misremember stuff and are too delusional to admit they're wrong.
In isolation sure, but you out can't blame an individual for at least entertaining such thoughts when other people claim to remember the same thing.
I'm not giving credence to exceptional claims mind mind you, just pointing to why people may buy into it even if they are otherwise fairly level headed.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's called remembering stuff wrong

Mandela Effect is when a large group of people all remember the wrong thing.

It's called the Mandela effect because a huge amount of people thought Mandela died in the 80s and that they had shown his funeral on TV, when obviously they hadnt.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

It's called the Mandela effect because a huge amount of people thought Mandela died in the 80s and that they had shown his funeral on TV, when obviously they hadnt.

I've never understood this, given that Mandela's release in 1990 got massive international coverage. They're probably thinking of the great Steve Biko, likely by way of the movie Cry Freedom.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
How does everyone think Dolly had braces in Moonraker. I always remember her having normal non braced teeth. Are you sure you're not remembering Happy Gilmore where they parody that scene and the girl actually does have braces.

Feb 24, 2018

The problem is that many of the times sites and people list examples of the Mandela effect, they often use examples of ones with pretty obvious reasons as to why people make the mistakes or remember it like with the Monopoly example before. More often then not it's because of parodies, being not paying attention or caring enough, common spelling errors etc.

one example I've seen before is people who use the fact people not realising the T-Rex didn't eat the lawyer in Jurassic Park when really, that's because the line that explains that the T-Rex only bit him in the two happens really quick that it can be easy to miss, parodies like Weird Al's song depiction him being eaten and it just making much sense as to why the T-Rex didn't eat him.

It would probably help better to explain if the examples used more often were ones that are harder to explain like people thinking they saw the funeral of Mandela.

Feb 24, 2018
Worst one for me is that Queen's we are the champions song does NOT end by "of the wooooorld".

I can HEAR IT
That's because some versions do end with it like the original vinyl version of it and some live concerts, for some reason, the version most available that comes in the Greatest Hits is a shorten version that cuts the coda used for the German and US singles.

Edit: Proof:

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
In isolation sure, but you out can't blame an individual for at least entertaining such thoughts when other people claim to remember the same thing.
I'm not giving credence to exceptional claims mind mind you, just pointing to why people may buy into it even if they are otherwise fairly level headed.
Oh sure, I agree that having many people misremember the same thing can be a pretty interesting phenomenon. It's just a bit silly when some of those people seriously start theorising about alternate timelines and such when confronted with the facts, instead of just accepting they're wrong.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
You have to have the mindset similar to the first time I smoked weed to believe the mandela effect. I mean, life is weird and mysterious as fuck as it is, but believing that bad memories tied to popular tropes/familiar spellings equals some trans dimensional shit is just hilarious.

Flat earth is only like 2 steps further into the youtube conspiracy rabbit hole.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
vrlwwm0.jpg

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You have to have the mindset similar to the first time I smoked weed to believe the mandela effect. I mean, life is weird and mysterious as fuck as it is, but believing that bad memories tied to popular tropes/familiar spellings equals some trans dimensional shit is just hilarious.

Flat earth is only like 2 steps further into the youtube conspiracy rabbit hole.
I don't think people really "believe" the Mandela effect. It's just a fun way to wrap all of these instances of weird memory shenanigans together.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The concept is hilarious. Imagine being so unable to admit you're wrong that you have to craft an entire parallel universe to explain it.