• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have been down with this. Having only ever watched the Star Wars stuff since Disney bought it, the Mandalorian is far and away the best thing I've seen. Ep. 7 was such an obvious re-hash of old stories I noticed just from the ambient knowledge I'd picked up hanging out with SW nerds over the years. Ep. 8 was...such fucking garbage I didn't even want to see the last episode.

A story about a bounty hunter looking to find the home of Yoda and his people would've been cool. Keep Pedro Pascal and Giancarlo and Carl Weathers and ditch a few of the other actors, compress some of the excess BS and yeah, you got a film. Good one, too.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The 30 minutes in reveal of Baby Yoda being arbitrarily stretched to an hour 30 minutes in instead with only two movies arbitrarily left to focus on the story sounds like the most unappealing way to watch The Mandalorian unfold

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If I see another piece of Star Wars content set between 3 and 4 or 6 and 7, then I will Order 66 myself

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
The next movies will be about darth plagueis and how he created Palpatin and Anakin and was behind everything episode I-IX. We need to go bigger,not smaller. /s

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
I loved The Mandalorian, Solo, Rogue One and Clone Wars series.

The movies don't seem as rich as above.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's competent but utterly mundane, IMO. It follows to stock-standard formula and tries almost nothing new that we haven't seen from a million different shows already; it's just a Star Wars coat of paint.

The sequels were an incoherent disappointment but at least they *tried* something.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It's competent but utterly mundane, IMO. It follows to stock-standard formula and tries almost nothing new that we haven't seen from a million different shows already; it's just a Star Wars coat of paint.

The sequels were an incoherent disappointment but at least they *tried* something.
Eh the only sequel movie that tried something was TLJ.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The prequels tried the most new things, that doesn't anything for a good product.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The prequels tried the most new things, that doesn't anything for a good product.
You can't know in advance if trying will lead to good or bad. But I would still rather take that approach than to fly so desperately safe.

Still, that's a personal preference. I can see a lot of people happy something reasonably well done exists in the Star Wars universe, and doesn't cause those divisive waves that have torn apart the fanbase in recent years.

Edit: to just_myles below, it's certainly different than previous Star Wars media, but it's so similar to so many other types of media that it feels stale and boring to me. As far as trying stuff new outside of TLJ, I always thought Kylo Ren was a very interesting type of villain, and that was introduced in TFA. TROS, uh...okay, I guess it didn't do much.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

I disagree. But appreciate your opinion. I don't agree that they played it safe. This show felt so far removed from the mess of the sequels and even prequels that it felt fresh. Everything felt so well placed and subtle down to the jokes (Quip about the imperial sniper not meaning much.).

In my opinion it proves that you can have a really good Star Wars without a Jedi. Outside of the legends stuff, I didn't think it was a possible. What's even better is that if you did take Star Wars out of it then it would hurt the show. It's not all formulaic with a coat of Star Wars paint. The sequels I would argue were just that. I don't really see what it did different or even well outside of the last Jedi.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The first season is good but pretty uneven with several weak episodes, and they kind of blew the obvious Seven Samurai homage, which is what I image a feature would hew closely to. The rest of the stories are episodic and don't overstay their welcome with the Moff Giddeon arc just starting up near the end of the show so I don't know how well that will go.

I can't imagine a 7-8 hour trilogy/saga or whatever with this. That said, I can absolutely see a Mandalorian movie if the show grows on its audience in S2 and 3.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Mandalorain as a series is far too shallow in terms of character and theme. An 8-episode series should be able to deliver more character emotion/depth than a single movie can, but the Mandalorian somehow manages to fail at that.

I really hope the writing in season 2 is significantly better.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I fucking loved the fucking shit out of this show. I hope there's another 7 seasons.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The Mandalorian works best as a show, however the sequels should have been anything but what they were. Something like Yuuzhan Vong, Dark Nest, Legacy, I mean basically anything besides rehashing the Empire again.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
No. It still heavily relies on fan service. Mandalrian stuff in general is not interesting and relies heavily on boba fett fanboys. Baby yoga again relies on the past. Star Wars needs something new next time

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of agree, wouldn't work as it is of course, it would need to be structured differently and made to feel "bigger" with some changes and that's a good first movie in a sequel trilogy. Rehashing the original movies and dragging the original characters back is just uninteresting and wouldn't work, and it didn't. I watched The Force Awakens and didn't care enough to watch the next two.