• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I understood it perfectly well upon my first viewing of TFA, but based on what we'd seen across six movies and two animated series (at that point), it doesn't make sense (in universe) as presented on screen. I know that they've done pretty much all the heavy lifting in the novels for that, but even walking out of the theater on opening night, having enjoyed a genuinely good and exciting Star Wars movie, that stuff didn't sit right with me.
I perfectly could vibe with the idea that after a civil war, a fascist empire, and then another civil war, that the New Republic would attempt to course correct and create laws preventing such things from happening again while they hold a military that could prevent any threats from emerging, in theory.
I mean, I don't hate the ST, but the way the story was constructed starting with TFA and continuing in TLJ, just felt like a giant logic knot of storytelling contortions to get us back to the whole Rebels vs. Empire thing so JJ could retell the OT. I don't even think that's a super controversial statement.
Rebels vs the Empire isn't what the conflict was. There are surface level similarities but the Rebels were WAY more prepared and armed than the resistance. TLJ is entirely about the resistance attempting to survive since they are completely underwhelmed. Like, compare the endings of ESB and TLJ. In ESB Luke and Leia meet up with an entire fleet. In TLJ it's the inverse. The Resistance got so thoroughly devastated due to the mistakes of the new generation that literally all of them could fit inside a single ship. It was a civil war vs. a genuine rebellion against the reemergence of a fascist empire.

Nov 27, 2020
I perfectly could vibe with the idea that after a civil war, a fascist empire, and then another civil war, that the New Republic would attempt to course correct and create laws preventing such things from happening again while they hold a military that could prevent any threats from emerging, in theory.
I can get into that as well, and I'm hoping that at least part of the story that these D+ series will tell gets into that. It does make sense, but at the same time, none of that was really on screen in any meaningful way in the ST. In the PT, the political world building was overwhelming in some ways, while the lack of it in the ST was also an issue.

Rebels vs the Empire isn't what the conflict was. There are surface level similarities but the Rebels were WAY more prepared and armed than the resistance. TLJ is entirely about the resistance attempting to survive since they are completely underwhelmed. Like, compare the endings of ESB and TLJ. In ESB Luke and Leia meet up with an entire fleet. In TLJ it's the inverse. The Resistance got so thoroughly devastated due to the mistakes of the new generation that literally all of them could fit inside a single ship. It was a civil war vs. a genuine rebellion against the reemergence of a fascist empire.

I wouldn't call TLJ the inverse of ESB, since narratively it serves pretty much the same function: hero's journey for the main character, good guys on the ropes, bad guys ascendent. Obviously there are differences, and yes the Resistance was (comically) small by the end of the movie, but even when I was sitting in the theater I was struck by how they even, on screen, started calling themselves "Rebels". Between the opening crawl stating "the First Order reigns" and that, it felt like I was watching the ST try to morph into the OT before my eyes.

I do think that a large part of why I have an issue with the storytelling and world building in the ST probably comes down in large part to TROS failing so spectacularly at meaningfully following up on the threads form TLJ. I had all sorts of theories about how they were going to resolve the story, from a FO civil war between Hux and Kylo, to discovering that the arms dealers on Canto Bight were the true evil left in the galaxy and had engineered the current conflict because peace was bad for business...then TROS came along and said, "nah. It's Palpatine."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can get into that as well, and I'm hoping that at least part of the story that these D+ series will tell gets into that. It does make sense, but at the same time, none of that was really on screen in any meaningful way in the ST. In the PT, the political world building was overwhelming in some ways, while the lack of it in the ST was also an issue.
Very little of the political talk was in the OT and the ST seeks to remix the OT for a new generation of SW fans. Hence emulating a very VERY small focus on politics and exposition.
I wouldn't call TLJ the inverse of ESB, since narratively it serves pretty much the same function: hero's journey for the main character, good guys on the ropes, bad guys ascendent. Obviously there are differences, and yes the Resistance was (comically) small by the end of the movie, but even when I was sitting in the theater I was struck by how they even, on screen, started calling themselves "Rebels". Between the opening crawl stating "the First Order reigns" and that, it felt like I was watching the ST try to morph into the OT before my eyes.
TLJ is absolutely the inverse when it comes to the overall events of the plot or rather, what the movie is about. There are purposeful surface level similarities but it takes those similarities and remixes them to fit the different context that is the galaxy after 30 years. It's a movie about and for a new generation just like TFA was. ESB was NOT a film about a newer generation getting their shit together and being passed the torch by an older generation.

Nov 27, 2020
Very little of the political talk was in the OT and the ST seeks to remix the OT for a new generation of SW fans. Hence emulating a very VERY small focus on politics and exposition.

TLJ is absolutely the inverse when it comes to the overall events of the plot or rather, what the movie is about. There are purposeful surface level similarities but it takes those similarities and remixes them to fit the different context that is the galaxy after 30 years. It's a movie about and for a new generation just like TFA was. ESB was NOT a film about a newer generation getting their shit together and being passed the torch by an older generation.
That's a theme, but it doesn't make it the inverse of ESB, when the narrative function it serves in the overall story is essentially the same. Agree to disagree on this.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
OT has some political context scenes, mainly A New Hope, and I think JJ should've included some of these in TFA (as originally planned)

Nov 27, 2020
The narrative function of the two are very very different though.
Not really. It's still the second act of a "screenwriting 101" three act structure. Some of the beats are mixed around between TFA and TLJ compared to the OT, but they're all still present. Thematically they may differ, but the flow of the narrative and the beats are largely the same. I don't say that as a slight against TFA or TLJ. There's a reason satisfying stories are satisfying.
Like I said earlier, I do think that TROS amplified the ST's flaws in a big way. If it had been a satisfying conclusion that flowed organically from where TLJ left off, I don't think I'd have many complaints. Where TFA was narratively similar to ANH and where TLJ performs the same function as ESB (despite being thematically distinct), TROS attempts to redo the conclusion of ROTJ, while jumping through storytelling hoops and leaps of logic to get there, and retroactively makes the other two movies feel poorer. On their own, TFA and TLJ are fine movies, and good Star Wars, but as act 1 and act 2 of a three act story that goes where TROS goes, they suffer from it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. It's still the second act of a "screenwriting 101" three act structure. Some of the beats are mixed around between TFA and TLJ compared to the OT, but they're all still present. Thematically they may differ, but the flow of the narrative and the beats are largely the same. I don't say that as a slight against TFA or TLJ. There's a reason satisfying stories are satisfying.
Like I said earlier, I do think that TROS amplified the ST's flaws in a big way. If it had been a satisfying conclusion that flowed organically from where TLJ left off, I don't think I'd have many complaints. Where TFA was narratively similar to ANH and where TLJ performs the same function as ESB (despite being thematically distinct), TROS attempts to redo the conclusion of ROTJ, while jumping through storytelling hoops and leaps of logic to get there, and retroactively makes the other two movies feel poorer. On their own, TFA and TLJ are fine movies, and good Star Wars, but as act 1 and act 2 of a three act story that goes where TROS goes, they suffer from it.
I consider those two films to be standalone because of TROS's troubled development. I also don't subscribe to the idea that the conclusion ruins what comes before.

Nov 27, 2020
I consider those two films to be standalone because of TROS's troubled development. I also don't subscribe to the idea that the conclusion ruins what comes before.
I kind of do as well, but when viewed as a whole it suffers. It's kind of like how I consider Lost to have one of the finest first seasons of a show, but I find it hard to want to watch again knowing how it ends up.

Nov 27, 2020
You see for me early Lost is rewatchable as fuck.
I just can't disconnect it from where that story goes. It was a huge disappointment. It doesn't diminish the work that went into producing that first season, but it does diminish the story it was telling, because without the end, it's incomplete. Same with TFA and TLJ. They're incomplete without TROS...as disappointing as it was, it's still the ending to that story.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't disconnect it from where that story goes. It was a huge disappointment. It doesn't diminish the work that went into producing that first season, but it does diminish the story it was telling, because without the end, it's incomplete. Same with TFA and TLJ. They're incomplete without TROS...as disappointing as it was, it's still the ending to that story.
It was a huge disappointment. But those two films are still great films and amazing SW films.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You know we joke a lot about Dave and John playing with action figures but Robert Rodríguez straight up filmed himself playing with action figures as a concept for Boba's scene lmao

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So I was rewatching the Ashoka episode, paying particular attention to the HK-87 droids, and it's my headcanon now that they deliberately used the shotgun guy as bait and their coordinated attack from opposite directions would have killed a lesser Jedi. I wonder if they will be back... they were clearly elite droids and part of Thrawn forces, so assuming that's where Ashoka story is headed it's not impossible.

Of course, they don't begin to compare with HK-47 in any way whatsoever, but simply having half of its name make me have a soft spot for them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bad take, and I love clone wars* (the episodes that actually have this stuff, there are a lot of clone wars episodes and arcs that are stinkers)

Mandalorian is not an "adult show" or trying to be an adult show. It's Star Wars, it's meant for all ages.

This reeks of the animation is for children, live action is for grown ups fallacy.

No, that's not what I mean. The Mandalorian IS trying to be a more "adult" show. It has more action, more "grit," and more seriousness. The latter part is especially important as the show really wants you to appreciate how "serious" it is. I mean, our main character doesn't show their face, doesn't laugh, and just maintains a placid face at all times. He then meets up with equally stoic and very "serious" characters who never crack jokes. Yet, for all the show's seriousness it treats story like a really bad child's cartoon.

I mean I'm rewatching The Last Airbender at the moment and its amazing how much more mature it is than The Mandalorian. And it is equally a more episodic show such as Mando with a thin overaching plot. The Mandalorian just doesn't understand themes or character development and instead has Mando solve most episode problems by shooting at it and if that fails, then he just shoots even harder at it. There's a reason I loved the second-to-last episode of this last season, one of the few episodes not written by Favreau. In that episode we actually saw an episode centered around a central theme with character development and opposing dynamics. Mayfield actually smiles and cracks jokes which plays off of Mando's stoic nature, they each learn something from the other that helps develop their character's, and its all centered around a single theme that ties it all together. That's just basic ass writing that Favreau apparently doesn't grasp.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
So for Season 2 is there just the one 66m Gallery episode? They aren't doing the 8 or so they did for Season 1, right? I understand if not due to COVID and it treading on a lot of the same subject matter.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What? No, not in the slightest. It's as "adult" as any Marvel film.

Marvel films are more adult than most children's shows. They aim for like 12 year old's and up.

iron-man-plane-party.gif
\

tenor.gif

bwdirty.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel films are more adult than most children's shows. They aim for like 12 year old's and up.

iron-man-plane-party.gif
\

tenor.gif

bwdirty.gif
This is like saying that spongebob and many many animated shows are for 12 year olds because of the dirty jokes that only adults get.

it really is for all ages because you get Thanos being decapitated in the same film where Hulk takes a selfie with some kids a mere twenty minutes before offering any man a taco. Mando is only surface level more "mature" than other SW content. As it multiple sex jokes, grittier than usual tone, and more violence than usual. Tbh SW has always been in a weird place when it comes to being for all ages.

Lightsabers post ANH provide good opportunities for censorship. There's barely any blood as we watch hundreds of stormtroopers get murdered. We all know what that one dude meant when he said "you should visit the twi'lek baths." Etc.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
maybe, but the question is what if twitter gets what it wants would RDJ, aka tony stark be a good thrawne
Well I don't know if you know, but Lars is also the voice of Thrawn in Rebels, so I'd say he's got a better shot at it.

Can't say whether RDJ would be good at it. He is a good actor for sure, even outside the MCU, but I haven't seen anything as collected and authoritative a role like Thrawn would require. I personally don't see it.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Well I don't know if you know, but Lars is also the voice of Thrawn in Rebels, so I'd say he's got a better shot at it.

Can't say whether RDJ would be good at it. He is a good actor for sure, even outside the MCU, but I haven't seen anything as collected and authoritative a role like Thrawn would require. I personally don't see it.
I think he would probably play it like his sherlock role

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Posting opinions and bailing for spoilers. Watched the first 2 episodes so far.
Episode 1 was great. I really enjoyed seeing some nuance in star wars. Dialogue was great.
Episode 2. How many times is this pos ship gonna fly through space after being ripped apart. Decent adventure. Baby Yoda is a monster.
Hope to finish this weekend.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There's a reason they cast Lars Mikelsen. Get outta town with your Benedict Cumberbatch/RDJ nonsense.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
No, that's not what I mean. The Mandalorian IS trying to be a more "adult" show. It has more action, more "grit," and more seriousness. The latter part is especially important as the show really wants you to appreciate how "serious" it is. I mean, our main character doesn't show their face, doesn't laugh, and just maintains a placid face at all times. He then meets up with equally stoic and very "serious" characters who never crack jokes. Yet, for all the show's seriousness it treats story like a really bad child's cartoon.

I mean I'm rewatching The Last Airbender at the moment and its amazing how much more mature it is than The Mandalorian. And it is equally a more episodic show such as Mando with a thin overaching plot. The Mandalorian just doesn't understand themes or character development and instead has Mando solve most episode problems by shooting at it and if that fails, then he just shoots even harder at it. There's a reason I loved the second-to-last episode of this last season, one of the few episodes not written by Favreau. In that episode we actually saw an episode centered around a central theme with character development and opposing dynamics. Mayfield actually smiles and cracks jokes which plays off of Mando's stoic nature, they each learn something from the other that helps develop their character's, and its all centered around a single theme that ties it all together. That's just basic ass writing that Favreau apparently doesn't grasp.

so serious.

The_Child_aka_Baby_Yoda_%28Star_Wars%29.jpg

just extremely serious.

tdoB7I9h.jpg

i'm talking ridiculously fuckin' serious

5fb2c3c31c741f0019aca0ad

Aug 4, 2020
Just binged season 2. Thought it was great overall. Bobba Fett returning and actually being badass and of course Luke at the end were just pure hype. Even though I haven't watched any of the tv show stuff I liked seeing the characters in live action. Looking forward to all the spinoffs they are planning with them. The dark saber stuff is intriguing.

That being said they need stronger enemies next season or have the Storm Troopers put up more of a fight cause its just too repetitive and boring them getting blasted over and over again. The 1v1 fights were solid though.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this on twitter.

"Just once let me look on you with my own eyes"

tdkzg9meoz561.webp
Reading this thread for the fist time because i just finished the season 2.
I just want to say that the OT was just pure genius. ROTJ had many issues but at the same time so many great moments. Vader wanting to see Luke with his own eyes was an incredible moment. Mando and Grogu say goodbye to each other was a phenomenal pay off as well. Perfect execution.

Long story short Mandalorian is the best thing happened to Star Wars since 1983. Mando and Mayfield are also the best characters introduced in SW since a long time.
Episode 4 - Season 1 and Episode 7 - Season 2 were my favourite.

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished this last night

Luke looked terrible, and it was so pointless bringing him in. The moment his X-Wing flew by, I fucking knew it was going to be him, lol. Why can't Star Wars let go of the past? Really liked S1 as it showed a different side to Star Wars and had an interesting set-up, but s2 was bad. Too much fan service....

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I finished S2 yesterday.
Overall it was fun, the production values continue to impress!

Though I have a bunch of (typical Star Wars related?) complaints
  • Storm Troopers are ridiculous, now it's even literally an in universe joke that they cannot hit anything; Why should anyone take them seriously or be invested in any battle with them.
    • Even worse: They hit nothing all the time, but then Mando comes out of cover with his virtually invincible (plot) armour and all their laser hits are on target... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Overall the main cast is way too OP. So a ragtag group of 5 mercenaries can just take over an entire imperial ship with probably hundreds if not thousands of soldiers on board?
  • Then they come up against the dark troopers and suddenly those are way OP.
  • Not to worry though then Luke comes and destroys them all as if they were battle droids.
  • As per usual with SW, this ginormous Universe ends up being way too small with everyone knowing each other and the same people across multiple story arcs meeting each other all the time. (Here it makes a little sense partially maybe... But I remember in the prequels rolling my eyes when it turned out that Yoda and Chewie knew each other from way back, of course....)