• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Not so huge when Jedi are involved. That's the problem but it's also why Luke makes the most sense.
True...so we stop doing Jedi or do a time where there are tons of Jedi.

But even that isn't a good excuse. Before Disney, there were TWO Jedi after Episode III. Now there are more than we can count. This was fan service cause imagine the overwhelming about of chatter if a mysterious, unknown Jedi appeared to take Grogu? Who is this awesome Jedi? They getting a new series? They in Ahsoka series? But not everything needs answers too.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
That's already darth mail tho
kind of but not to sions extent, remember this is sion

a corpse that is living through the darkside. maul wasn't really a corpse survived and replaced his lower half, sion is a walking zombie

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the music for Luke's sequence is new and just sounds awe inspiring. Rather than blasting adventurous sounding or overly heroic music like Luke at Jabba's Palace or the Star Wars theme or something. The buildup at the beginning of "A Friend" is perfect.

The range in just the final episode's soundtrack is really impressive too. On one hand you have the heavy dubstep sound of Troopers and then you have Come With Me (credits music) which sounds classical.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
So curious to see if all of the Dark Troopers' effects were done with full CG. They looked so convincing at almost all times.
I could have sworn that part of the fight with Din was stop motion. I would not be surprised if there's at least one full-size Dark Trooper prop or costume, at least.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could have sworn that part of the fight with Din was stop motion. I would not be surprised if there's at least one full-size Dark Trooper prop or costume, at least.

Yeah, at times during S2 the robot animations looked very inspired by stop motion. It worked well and most robots had a great sense of weight and presence.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
She was, she isn't with Star Wars beyond a base level of making money.
Look at the disasters that happened with both Rogue One and Solo.
Last Jedi is the only one from her era that has had a smooth production.
even the Obi-Wan series had serious issues.

I kinda agree to some extent. I feel that she's just an executive without actual inclination towards the source material versus someone like Kevin Fiege. The difference is pretty clear. Her goal seems to be to hire good directors and hope they can figure out star wars for her instead of having an overseeing authority like how Kevin Fiege has over MCU.

Obviously speculation but everything that has gone down so far, along with the things you mentioned, makes me feel that way.

Need someone like Jon Favreau, who can produce as well as care about the source materia,l to be a bigger part of LucasFilm

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
True...so we stop doing Jedi or do a time where there are tons of Jedi.

But even that isn't a good excuse. Before Disney, there were TWO Jedi after Episode III. Now there are more than we can count. This was fan service cause imagine the overwhelming about of chatter if a mysterious, unknown Jedi appeared to take Grogu? Who is this awesome Jedi? They getting a new series? They in Ahsoka series? But not everything needs answers too.

Even In Legends, most jedi survivors are done or give up being a jedi.

Feb 19, 2018
Just watched the last episode.
Was really hyped to see the big showdown with the crew against a few dozen Dark Troopers (dubstep and all) and them finding a clever way to escape (Boba was still in the game after all)... just for Luke to show up and Deus Ex-Machina them all with zero suspense. Felt kinda too nostalgia pandery, R2-D2 and all (what's next, C3PO, Han and Chewie popping up? Then the OT character theme park ride would be complete).

Also felt awfully convenient that all the Dark Troopers in front of the bridge would stop breaking through and just stand there for several minutes ... doing absolutely nothing. If anything wouldn't battle droid follow their prime directive which was to retake the bridge and secure Gideon and the child, especially with plenty of Dark Troopers in the decks below ready to handle the new threat?

Kinda surprised the scene is people's most favorite in the poll by such a wide margin. Especially when you have the Krayt Dragon fight and Mayfeld snapping.

Still a good episode in a great season, but Boba going all Jabba pretty much saved the end of the episode for me.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Look, the Luke scene was very cool, but the thing with Mayfield - not just him shooting his old commander, but everything leading up to it - was one of the very few emotionally effective bits of dialogue all season.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the last episode.
Was really hyped to see the big showdown with the crew against a few dozen Dark Troopers (dubstep and all) and them finding a clever way to escape (Boba was still in the game after all)... just for Luke to show up and Deus Ex-Machina them all with zero suspense. Felt kinda too nostalgia pandery, R2-D2 and all (what's next, C3PO, Han and Chewie popping up? Then the OT character theme park ride would be complete).

Also felt awfully convenient that all the Dark Troopers in front of the bridge would stop breaking through and just stand there for several minutes ... doing absolutely nothing. If anything wouldn't battle droid follow their prime directive which was to retake the bridge and secure Gideon and the child, especially with plenty of Dark Troopers in the decks below ready to handle the new threat?

Kinda surprised the scene is people's most favorite in the poll by such a wide margin. Especially when you have the Krayt Dragon fight and Mayfeld snapping.

Still a good episode in a great season, but Boba going all Jabba pretty much saved the end of the episode for me.

My read was that Gideon programmed a failsafe to take out any Jedi as highest priority, because of the quick shots of Gideon "working this out" in his head, and then becoming terrified (right after they ask "Why did they stop?").

Feb 19, 2018
My read was that Gideon programmed a failsafe to take out any Jedi as highest priority, because of the quick shots of Gideon "working this out" in his head, and then becoming terrified (right after they ask "Why did they stop?").
Sure, that's a logical explanation, but if it isn't brought up in the episode it just feels like trying to apply a logical explanation like a band-aid to a plot hole that doesn't make sense and wasn't resolved by the plot itself.

Also it's not like the Dark Troopers move to the decks below to support the other droids about to be trashed by Luke, they literally just stand in front of the door doing nothing for minutes until it's their turn for Luke to show up and theatrically cut them to pieces, which is at odds with them aggressively trying to get to their target in literally EVERY other scene they appear in.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, that's a logical explanation, but if it isn't brought up in the episode it just feels like trying to apply a logical explanation like a band-aid to a plot hole that doesn't make sense and wasn't resolved by the plot itself.

Also it's not like the Dark Troopers move to the decks below to support the other droids about to be trashed by Luke first, they literally just stand in front of the door doing nothing for minutes until Luke shows up to theatrically cut them to pieces, which is at odds with them aggressively trying to get to their target in literally EVERY other scene they appear in.

I mean, I could be wrong with my read, but to me Giancarlo Esposito's acting spelled it out pretty clearly. I don't mind when the show decides to just let us interpret the character's thoughts or plans through their body language and through camera blocking/framing. Another example of this being done in Mando is the scene where Mando goes to leave after turning in the Child to Herzog's character (I think episode 2 or 3?). They could have had a scene with him explaining why he's going back on his Creed for the "right thing", but instead they have him acting (without his actual face mind you), and showing his thoughts to you through body language and framing. ie: he notices the little joystick ball is missing, screws it on, and shuts down the ship as a result.

The way it played out, to me, is that the Dark Troopers priority is to defend Moff Gideon against any Jedi intervention, or, if within shooting distance, try to take them out.

Obviously they stand no chance against freaking Luke Skywalker. Gideon deduces this, and tries to off himself, to him he had already lost. Remember: "Assume he knows everything"

--

One conversation I had the other day that was kinda fun was, assuming my read above is correct and the Dark Troopers prioritize Jedi, the question: "how did the Dark Troopers know/sense Luke"?

The theory: Let's say Sidious had a catalogue of all the Jedi lightsabers and crystals they used from the Temple on Coruscant. Let's say Qui-Gon's crystal was one of them. And then let's say Gideon's Dark Troopers have this information and can sort of read each crystals "resonance" or whatever. Then let's have Luke's lightsaber contain Qui-Gon's crystal.

It would be fun, if that were the case, and in those few seconds, Gideon not only deduces that it is a Jedi, but which Jedi before anyone else in the room. Like super-nerd Star Wars lore historian-level deduction. Leading to his hopeless attempt to shoot the Team/off himself, and whatever might come next for him.

I don't know if they've explained just how Luke built that Green saber, yet, but my friends and I thought it was a fun thought exercise anyway.

Last edited:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm lttp to the show - just started it a week ago. I'm through S02E04 as of today. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoy the movies and the games I've played.

I'm enjoying the show and finding it entertaining, but it's hard to not view it as an ongoing string of RPG side quests to the point I'm at. "I need to do ___." "Help me do ___ and I'll help you." It's not a huge deal, but it is starting to come across as content filler. Perhaps a minor nitpick; just something I noticed coming into the series recently.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not a minor nitpick, as it does appear to be in the DNA of the show. "I csn help you Mando, but first, go here and do this". Kinda feels like it would be a lot tighter and better as 4-6 episode seasons.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Mando and his muppet on a road trip.
There was quite a few times it felt like there was a lot of content filler. They could have condensed the season and made it into a movie. But that's TV. There are a lot of shows with content filler just to get several episodes out there.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Mando and his muppet on a road trip.
There was quite a few times it felt like there was a lot of content filler. They could have condensed the season and made it into a movie. But that's TV. There are a lot of shows with content filler just to get several episodes out there.

"Content filler" really interested what you would categorize under that for a series that only has 8 episodes with a relative short length I thought it was all killer no filler. I could have even taken some more quiet moments. Really hope you don't count the more self contained episodes as "filler" because if so the essence of this series and its inspirations go over your head. My favorite ep this season was episode 2 for example, just absolute perfection.

Oct 25, 2017
Luke is going to return S3 ep 1, he'll be partially balding, looking like he hasn't slept in weeks, and R2 is going to be missing parts. He'll set Grougu outside of the X-wing and just scowls as he flys away.

Nov 27, 2020
"Content filler" really interested what you would categorize under that for a series that only has 8 episodes with a relative short length I thought it was all killer no filler. I could have even taken some more quiet moments. Really hope you don't count the more self contained episodes as "filler" because if so the essence of this series and its inspirations go over your head. My favorite ep this season was episode 2 for example, just absolute perfection.
I agree with you. The quiet moments and "filler" build on moments like him taking his helmet off in front of Grogu. There's a shot in episode 2...I think, where Din and Grogu are eating together, and Din lifts his helmet up just enough to eat. It was a nice moment, showing the growing bond between them, and that was in a "side quest" episode.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I was late to the episode but somehow didn't get spoiled and I'm thankful for that. That ending got me good. Totally teared up with excitement from seeing Luke then when Mando said goodbye to Grogu.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite scene was Ahsoka in the swamp/village turning off and on her light sabers, retreating into the mist and wrecking fools.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Still not really a fan of the way Luke showed up, but the ending scene still gets me. That's pure Star Wars distilled into one shot.

4b7FDVK.gif

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Geeze this deepfake stuff is wild
When I see a random channel on the youtube pumping this out over a weekend it makes me wonder what the hell hollywood is doing still doing the faces the old fashioned way
if this is what a fan can do in a weekend imagine how it could look if a big postproduction properly incorporated it into their workflow
I think Luke looked good enough to accomplish what it needed to in the episode, but I see this and wonder what crazy person would leave this technology on the bench when it could be another tool in their toolbox
www.youtube.com

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker Deepfake

► Paperspace is the computing cloud platform built for the future to power a wide range of next-generation applications. Learn more at: https://www.paperspac...
A26AfDd.jpg

The deepfake is sharper so it fits better with the scene but the acting is stiffer and doesn't fix the poor lip-syncing. Depending on how good the deepfake tech is... with more time and a better stunt actor it might have been the superior option.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be a future series coming with Luke starting his academy and Grogu being there right?

If a Luke series had to be done I think the best way to do it would be for it to be split between two time periods simultaneously. You recast young Luke post-ROTJ and then have Hamill as Luke a few years before TFA, likely when he's just training Ben and starting his academy.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If a Luke series had to be done I think the best way to do it would be for it to be split between two time periods simultaneously. You recast young Luke post-ROTJ and then have Hamill as Luke a few years before TFA, likely when he's just training Ben and starting his academy.
I think it's possible they're doing this kind of idea for the Boba Fett series, with Daniel Logan.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they were aiming for ET, but it's weird that they replicated the Godfather shot so closely, right down to the door closing from the same side.

Geeze this deepfake stuff is wild
When I see a random channel on the youtube pumping this out over a weekend it makes me wonder what the hell hollywood is doing still doing the faces the old fashioned way
if this is what a fan can do in a weekend imagine how it could look if a big postproduction properly incorporated it into their workflow
I think Luke looked good enough to accomplish what it needed to in the episode, but I see this and wonder what crazy person would leave this technology on the bench when it could be another tool in their toolbox
www.youtube.com

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker Deepfake

► Paperspace is the computing cloud platform built for the future to power a wide range of next-generation applications. Learn more at: https://www.paperspac...
A26AfDd.jpg

The original one looks like when they scan a known actor into the latest Call of Duty game while the Deepfake looks way more like Mark Hamill the human being. I guess they can't do anything about the underlying facial animation being so robotic and stiff, though.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it more than S1. I'm all for more shows of this calibre. Won't miss the movies, personally, if they keep this up.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Grogu: "You know, if I had a dime for every time a crazy Skywalker murdered all my classmates at school...I'd have two dimes. Which isn't a lot but like, it happened twice."

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I read this in YT comments and now I'm upset:

"Mayfield is what Finn should have been in the trilogy"
i don't know if that would have the same weight to it because of one key difference, mayfield was a volunteer and finn is a indoctrinated child soldier. munayfield bought into the propaganda an joined up willingly before getting disillusioned, finn didn't have a choice. i agree that mayfield is definitely handled better than finn was, seriously finn being a jedi stormtrooper leading a new army of essentially good stormtroopers would have been amazing

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Ugh damn was spoiled that Luke was in the episode. But in the end Mando taking off his helmet not because of some extenuating circumstances but because he wanted to was probably the biggest and most important moment of the episode. Good stuff.