• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Man, all those musical mash-up of the Mando theme and other star wars music really make me wish Luke hot a bit more of a bombastic score for his cool hallway fight scene™

(I really liked the Luke score by the way, just not for the final stretch after the elevator)

These videos are one of those algorithm breaker videos on youtube. I clicked one about a year ago and now all I get are EPIC CINEMATIC EMOTIONAL remixes of every theme you can think of. Ended up having to block the keyword "epic" just to stop it.

Honestly, outside of the main theme, none of the music really works for me in the show. It's good in its own right, but it just doesn't feel like Star Wars. Dubstep Dark Troopers were a particular turn off.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The dark troopers looked
Menacing but were kind of jobbers.

The Pinnacle of droid soldier?
Weren't there droids in the prequels that had electro staffs that fought better against Jedi even 1:1?

Any imperial personnel, regardless of how cool or menacing they might look, are jobbers in Star Wars (see Imperial/Praetorian guards, Purge troopers, Death troopers, etc). At least the Darktroopers were taken out by the most powerful Jedi at this point in the timeline.

In the prequels there were Magnaguards who put up alonger fight, but I don't recall any of them killing Jedi. In that respect, the only non-jobber troopers in SW are Clone troopers.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Any imperial personnel, regardless of how cool or menacing they might look, are jobbers in Star Wars (see Imperial/Praetorian guards, Purge troopers, Death troopers, etc). At least the Darktroopers were taken out by the most powerful Jedi at this point in the timeline.

In the prequels there were Magnaguards who put up alonger fight, but I don't recall any of them killing Jedi. In that respect, the only non-jobber troopers in SW are Clone troopers.

Let's also keep in mind that at this point in time Jedi are considered mystical wizards from a mythical era. Practically no one really knows what they were.

Oct 25, 2017
The dark troopers looked

Weren't there droids in the prequels that had electro staffs that fought better against Jedi even 1:1?
still just a couple o' no good clankers!

aMZgl4Bl.jpg

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
User banned (2 weeks): Inappropriate commentary
Dug the entire season—much better than the sidequest-iness pacing of the first. My only gripe is that Boba Felt looks ridiculous with the armor on, like it's two sizes too small. More like Boba Fat amirite?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dark troopers looked

They were designed to but even they were pretty pants against the best of the Jedi, who Luke handily surpasses at this point.

Of course, by the time The Mandalorian is set, there are no Jedi any more and thus droids designed specifically to fight them were a bit pointless. The Dark Troopers would be pretty amazing against just about anyone that wasn't a Jedi, though. Even the one that took on Din would have killed him easily if it hadn't been for the beskar.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm crushing through S2 finally to see the Luke stuff. Man, this show is a video game. Not just in the fetch quest aspect of it (I'll help you Mando, but first collect the 10 golden jawas!) and the paper thin characterization, but it even look like a game.....is that due to the Unreal Engine VFX usage or something? I can't really put my finger on it but large swaths of the show look like cutscenes from a game. Baby Yoda in particular always looks "gamey" to me.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm crushing through S2 finally to see the Luke stuff. Man, this show is a video game. Not just in the fetch quest aspect of it and the paper thin characterization, but it even look like a game.....is that due to the Unreal Engine VFX usage or something? I can't really put my finger on it but large swaths of the show look like cutscenes from a game. Baby Yoda in particular always looks "gamey" to me.
Baby Yoda is a puppet

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crushing through S2 finally to see the Luke stuff. Man, this show is a video game. Not just in the fetch quest aspect of it (I'll help you Mando, but first collect the 10 golden jawas!) and the paper thin characterization, but it even look like a game.....is that due to the Unreal Engine VFX usage or something? I can't really put my finger on it but large swaths of the show look like cutscenes from a game. Baby Yoda in particular always looks "gamey" to me.
I never really got that sense honestly

Nothing gamey about Baby Yoda since he's a puppet

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm sure BoBF is going to a "Build your hub" game plot. Boba will complete some quest to get the Death Watch blacksmith in his home base. They're a bit fanatical though, so not sure how that will work out. Maybe after Mando re-radicalizes them.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder in some alternative universe what fan discourse would be like if The Mandolorian s1 and s2 came out before any of the sequels.

Hype would be even further off the charts if this was our first look at post-OT Luke. Nobody would ever admit to it or say it but I'm pretty sure there are some people high up at Disney who wish this was the case, too.

Like imagine if instead of Book of Boba Fett, it said "Star Wars Episode VII - Next December" at the end of the credits.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Finally got around to see the last episodes of season 2. The first part felt slow but god damn that payoff was great. Wish the Dark Troopers did more though.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Hype would be even further off the charts if this was our first look at post-OT Luke. Nobody would ever admit to it or say it but I'm pretty sure there are some people high up at Disney who wish this was the case, too.

Like imagine if instead of Book of Boba Fett, it said "Star Wars Episode VII - Next December" at the end of the credits.

This is my issue. If we didn't just get the sequel trilogy this would've seemed less shoehorned in. I'm just over this family by now

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder in some alternative universe what fan discourse would be like if The Mandolorian s1 and s2 came out before any of the sequels.

Before the sequel trilogy came out, fans would have lost their shit at the idea of Obi-Wan Kenobi getting his own miniseries or Han Solo getting his own movie. The very idea of future adventures with the characters we love would have been very well received indeed. Remember how excited everyone was for Rogue One?

Kinda says it all really.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Dug the entire season—much better than the sidequest-iness pacing of the first. My only gripe is that Boba Felt looks ridiculous with the armor on, like it's two sizes too small. More like Boba Fat amirite?
It's certainly a very strong visual contrast with when Cobb Vanth was wearing it. It looked so wrong on Vanth, whereas it looks undersized but somehow menacing on Fett.

Of all the posts in here to attract a ban, it's hard to believe this is the one. It's a bad joke, but damn.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

They blew their load too quickly. They purchased the Star Wars IP and were desperate to cash in RIGHT NOW ASAP WHILE IT'S HOT. You know, ignoring the fact that Star Wars fans were used to waiting and they could take as long as they needed.

Look at how Marvel are treating X Men and Fantastic Four, they've got the rights but it'll be years before we see anything with those characters

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
They blew their load too quickly. They purchased the Star Wars IP and were desperate to cash in RIGHT NOW ASAP WHILE IT'S HOT. You know, ignoring the fact that Star Wars fans were used to waiting and they could take as long as they needed.

Look at how Marvel are treating X Men and Fantastic Four, they've got the rights but it'll be years before we see anything with those characters

On one hand though it's hard to blame them given that they wanted the original trio of Luke, Han, and Leia to be heavily involved. Especially with Carrie Fisher's history of health and drug issues, I'm sure they wanted to pull the trigger asap.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solo what did you think of raylan in space

Always love seeing that wonderful man. He elevates everything he does. Loved the grey hair and beard too. He's gonna keep aging like fine wine.

The funniest part though was that it was so clearly Olyphant even before he took the mask off. He has such a unique posture and body shape.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the posts in here to attract a ban, it's hard to believe this is the one. It's a bad joke, but damn.
I caught a ban for joking about Kevin Hart's height, which I thought was absolutely ridiculous given how much leeway this forum gives when people joke about or shame the physical features of certain hated public figures. I accept the reason I was banned, but there should be consistency in how body shaming is handled, regardless of the person.

On topic, I'm curious what people think season 3 will be like. Do we follow Grogu's journey periodically, or is he written off until he's mastered his training at the end of the season or perhaps in another season?

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Is Ahsoka's....head-thing an extension of her body, or a hat? Truly the only question that matters to me about this season. I haven't watched any of the animated series so her character/race is new to me.
I suggest this for you to catch up on the species. Easily the best species in the lore...

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
On topic, I'm curious what people think season 3 will be like. Do we follow Grogu's journey periodically, or is he written off until he's mastered his training at the end of the season or perhaps in another season?

If Dusney wanted to milk it they coupd make a mini series of his training. I hope Mando 3 focuses on Mando. He has the dark saber now si lets see what happens.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Marvel has a ton of non-X-Men/FF content in the pipeline though; they could easily get away with not doing another X-Men or FF movie for at least another decade given how many sequels and original IPs they have to service first. We've also already had 20 years of X-Men movies, which only just wrapped up over the past year, so it's not like seeing the X-Men on the big screen is an itch that hasn't been scratched for a long time.

(There's also not that different of a gap between when Disney bought Lucasfilm and released TFA and when Disney bought Fox and will release FF)

Before the sequel trilogy came out, fans would have lost their shit at the idea of Obi-Wan Kenobi getting his own miniseries or Han Solo getting his own movie. The very idea of future adventures with the characters we love would have been very well received indeed. Remember how excited everyone was for Rogue One?

Kinda says it all really.
I think people ARE still pretty excited about that Obi-Wan series, though. Likewise, people were never excited about a Han Solo origin movie. That movie was announced years before TFA even came out and the only news that ever got people interested over its 5-year development time was the announcement of Lord and Miller as its directors.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The Force Awakens is (still!) the highest grossing movie ever in North America and #4 in the world. I don't think it really needed any more hype lol

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The Force Awakens is (still!) the highest grossing movie ever in North America and #4 in the world. I don't think it really needed any more hype lol

Lol yeah I thought of that when I was making my post. I think it would have been on another level, though, and I also think that a trilogy written now based on the world established in this show would have had much better lasting power than the one we got.

I think a better hypothetical scenario would be Episode VII ending with an equivalent of this Mandalorian Luke hallway scene. Which is actually what I was expecting to happen in the snow outside of Starkiller Base at the end of the Episode VII that we got. When the saber flew past Kylo I was fully expecting it to land in Luke's hands.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Can't help but feel that the Luke appearance at the end would've been better placed in a mainline movie. But instead it's stuck at the end of a so-so TV show so it loses a lot of the gravity and impact they were going for. It would have been 100% better if it was Cal Kestis.

Nov 27, 2020
If Dusney wanted to milk it they coupd make a mini series of his training. I hope Mando 3 focuses on Mando. He has the dark saber now si lets see what happens.
I kind of wonder if we're going to get more of a standard TV format where we bounce between POVs, and follow Grogu's training and Mando dealing with the Darksaber. I really have a hard time seeing us go a whole season without Grogu. To people like my mom, he is the show...and I believe there are a whole lot of people out there like that.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I know you're banned for a few days but seriously fat jokes are not only not funny but just seem super cruel?

Aside from that Temuera Morrison looks good for his age. We can't all rock 32" waists into old age.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That ending track and the way it continues into the credits is one of the best ever in the franchise, just watched the finale again

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but feel that the Luke scene at the end would be better placed in a mainline movie. But instead it's stuck at the end of a so-so TV show so it loses a lot of the gravity and impact they were going for. It would have been 100% better if it was Cal Kestis.
other than most people not knowing who that is, I imagine Favreau and Filoni aren't going to box in the video game side by jumping Cal ahead by 20 years.