• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's going to be interesting because for the "mass audience", Grogu/Baby Yoda is the star of the show, quite possibly the most popular new Star Wars character since 1980 when they introduced (well) Yoda. I don't think they can keep him out of the show for long.

You know Disney also is loving that sweet, sweet Baby Yoda merchandising bonanza too.

jedi academy starring Sebastian Stan as Luke And grogu

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I really wonder what ship Din will use in the next season. When the Razor Crest was destroyed, I was sure that Boba would be sacrificed in the end, so that Slave One could be passed on to Din, but that didn't turn out so. Them using the cruiser would be one option, but it doesn't really feel that the wanderer style of these two first seaons.

some thing along the lines of a light freighter

latest

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I wrote a creative (?) reaction to the season 2 finale. The article's got some issues, but if you've got the time, I'd love some feedback or push-back. I'm open to having my mind changed here.
-----------

My favourite McDonald's burger is the McChicken. It has been for as long as I can remember. Even today, the combination of the sesame seed bun, the chopped lettuce, the burger itself, the special sauce, and the smell satisfy me and take me away to a simpler time. Now and then as an adult, it hits the spot and still tastes damn good, all the while stimulating feelings of nostalgia.

Luke appearing in the season 2 finale felt like eating a McChicken burger. It was familiar. It satisfied me. And it gave me something that I started enjoying in childhood. I mean, let's look at these ingredients.

X-Wing? Oh yeah.

Green lightsaber? Oh hell yeah.

Black glove? Hoo-baby.

Force powers and Jedi philosophy? All day, please.

In short, I friggin' love me some Luke Skywalker, and I friggin' love me a McChicken burger.

...until I have to digest it.

When I was a kid, this wasn't a problem. My digestive system could handle almost anything, and while it's still pretty good now, McChicken burgers, and fast food in general, satisfies for a time, but ends up making me feel bloated and...unwell. It stimulates my taste and smell receptors when I'm chewing it, but it just sort of sits there and leaves me uncomfortable in the aftermath--or worse.

I won't draw out this analogy for too much longer, as you can probably see where I'm going.

Let me preface the next part of this article by saying that, in general, I have really enjoyed The Mandalorian, and that I still enjoy it. Season one felt fresh, unique, and like something that could stand on its own. It's why my wife even watched part of the first episode with me and "Aww'ed" at the reveal of then-Baby Yoda. The quest was clear: Keep the child safe and away from the bad guys while at the same time exploring the backstory and character makeup of Mando himself. I never thought it was a "great" show, but being a sucker for space fantasy and sci-fi aesthetics, and for Star Wars stuff in general, I always thought it was solid and worth the time investment.

(If I'm to be honest with myself, the concept art and end credits theme are regularly my favourite parts of the show)

With season 2, the world expanded, and started bringing in familiar characters from the Star Wars canon. We got characters from Star Wars books, like Cob Vanth, Star Wars animated shows, like Bo-Katan and Ahsoka, and Star Wars movies, like Boba Fett and Luke Skywalker. As these familiar faces started appearing, I got that same hit of dopamine that I get with a McChicken burger.

But now that I've finished the last bite, I'm left wondering if it was worth it, and I'm asking myself some difficult questions...

-Was Boba Fett necessary to the plot outside of being Mando's pilot?

-Did it have to be Ahsoka who told Mando about the seeing stone?

-Did Luke showing up out of nowhere serve the story that had been told until that moment?

-Would the characters on the bridge really just stand there and ask Luke NO questions about who he is and where he's taking Grogu?

In my heart, I know the answers to all of these questions: No. It is now clear that Ahsoka and Boba Fett were there to set up their own spin-off shows (Why mention Grand Admiral Thrawn if they're not going to chase him in The Mandalorian?) , and Luke was there to give fans another "I KNOW THIS" moment.

And these things are fine.

To give credit where it's due, the entire buildup to Luke was incredible. The music was appropriately foreboding and darkly heroic. The slow reveal, including the X-Wing, the green lightsaber, the force powers, and the gloved hand were all done incredibly well. I got chills, in fact.

But it was just for a moment.

I got much more satisfaction from Mando removing his helmet in front of everyone on the bridge and in front of Grogu. When that little puppet stroked his face, I felt it like I feel the love of my own children. I was so damn happy they got to have that moment after their journey together. Because it had to leave there. Arguably, they could have gotten there in another way and have had the scene hit even harder (as hard as that might be to believe), but we still got it, so points to the writers on that one at least.

The thing is, Luke coming in and saving the day still took the spotlight off the show's protagonist, which is something you really don't want to do at the very end of a story. It would be like Bilbo suddenly showing up in the heart of the volcano when Sam, Frodo, and Gollum are fighting over the ring in Lord of the Rings, but Bilbo ends up being the one to cast it into the fire. "Oh shit! Remember The Hobbit?!" And that's really my main issue with what we got here.

Will Luke factor into future episodes of The Mandalorian? That's still up in the air. For now, he's a Cameo Ex Machina swooping in and saving the day, stealing some of Mando's thunder in the process.

Let me be clear: I enjoyed this finale. The music was tremendous, the fight between Mando and the Dark Trooper had real tension, and that final scene with Mando and Grogu really got me. But it still left me feeling conflicted.

If I can expand the food analogy a bit, watching The Mandalorian before season two was like eating a plate of sushi at a sushi restaurant. Not the highest end sushi restaurant, but still the kind you'd recommend to your friends. Imagine the first season as half of a sushi meal. Now imagine the waiter bringing you some McDonald's fries. And then some dipping sauce. And finally, a McChiken burger in the very middle of your sushi plate.

Are you gonna eat that McChicken along with the sushi? Hell yeah. You friggin' LOVE McChickens AND you like sushi. So you eat all of it. And you like it...

...Until you get out of the restaurant and start questioning why a sushi restaurant would feel the need to serve you McDonald's from across the street. Almost as if they were not quite confident that their sushi would be enough to satisfy you, or maybe they simply didn't have enough sushi. The waiter even says, "I'm not sure we even have enough sushi to complete the order. Here. Have a McChicken!"

Finally, the other thing about eating McChicken burgers as an adult is that I really don't want to have more than one. Otherwise, I get queasy and end up running to the bathroom a lot quicker. In Star Wars, I don't want to have cameos for the sake of cameos, or people showing up and telling you to come on over to the McDonald's across the street.

In the end, fast food gives you a quick rush, but it rarely satisfies over the long haul. You end up wanting something healthier and better for you in the end.

This is my fear with Star Wars moving forward, and The Mandalorian season 2 finale could just be the tipping point. Or maybe I'm totally wrong here, and we're about to enter an age of Star Wars joy the likes of which we've never experienced.

I just hope the chefs in the kitchen take their time and serve up something lasting and memorable.

Author's note: If you've made it this far, thank you! Let me know what you thought of my lazy pseudo-analytical indulgence project. My opinion here is not solidified and as you can probably tell, I'm conflicted on where Star Wars could be going, and how this finale ended up going. That said, I'm also incredibly excited about the potential for amazing new stories, especially when it comes to titles like Acolyte and Rogue Squadron. I'm not leaving Star Wars. Like I said, I friggin' love it, and just because one show might be serving up fast food doesn't mean another one won't serve up gourmet. The law of averages says I'm bound to love some shows and episodes, and feel more lukewarm towards others. As long as there is earnest creative energy being put into these projects, I'll watch them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Nah, it's the same 5 or so posters going on and on about "muh deep storytelling" "muh steaks" "muh TLJ". It's the same whenever people are happy about an MCU film.

Don't let them ruin this to you, the positivity feels great outside of this place.

yeah the general reaction on my FB time line was that everyone loved it And everyone lost their shit At the end.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck Favreau/Filoni lol. Solving the Luke problem is going to be a issue for any show set between ROTJ and TFA that want to deal with large scale conflicts.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think they will not show Luke or Baby Yoda much next season
1- because luke is expansive
2- the focus on the show is Mando, and not Luke.
i mean, everyone wants to see Luke...and thats why they cant show him much

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As much as Ashoka felt a bit too rushed-in for people who don't really know her (I mean really, a Jedi being around at this time is not what you would expect, let alone her just being left aside, and what was she fighting for? did she live there? Not clear), and Boba's shift from what we knew him as (just a fairly ruthless bounty hunter, or just nobody if you didn't know him) was also a bit rushed to take in, what makes me gloss over that just like I glossed over the boring writing of the Seven Samurai episode in S1, is that at the end of the day every single episode tells a story the way a story is meant to be told. There are needs that must be respected to tell a story, something the ST movies failed at because of the nature in which they were produced, but Mandalorian always succeeds in each episode in respecting those needs, and across all of them.

There is a danger emerging with S2 that too much stuff feels rushed, be it Ashoka, to Dark Saber backstory, Boba, but hopefully with Grogu out of the way it will give them the margin needed to avoid dealing with too much overhead. Mando's plot forward is likely about how to unite the divided Mandalorians, and that should work out nicely from a story-telling perspective. And Boba getting his own show also helps in giving his character the room needed to make sense of it, because we haven't had the breathing room needed for the character to standup on his own, unlike every other character in the show, this one is a still a "Who? What?". Just like Luke doesn't fit in the show itself, he only does when you know the background story.

S2 almost crossed the line where it no longer made sense on its own. I feel like this need to give the characters some room is something someone somewhere among the creative team realizes is necessary to safeguard Star Wars from a story-telling perspective, so instead of seeing the multitude of shows coming as a mere business calculation, I think I can see it as a story-telling need, and hopefully I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Boba's armor being worn out suited very well into OT's western style whereas Jango kept it shiny suiting the cleaner look of the prequels.
Boba cleaning it and making it glossy lines well with how Mandalorian also honors the prequel era with Ahsoka, clones, Mandalore plot and droids, thus giving the new look a thematic relevance.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Good luck Favreau/Filoni lol. Solving the Luke problem is going to be a issue for any show set between ROTJ and TFA that want to deal with large scale conflicts.

Personally I think there are key differences between the comparisons tried to be drawn here. Main one being is that movie to tv show. We have spent more hours following the adventures of Din Djarin and Grogu than we have even Luke Skywalker. The show after two seasons has created this relationship with the audience that has felt earned. The issue with TFA that Michael Arndt would have run into is that trying to write new, unestablished main characters and trying to set them up for a new trilogy while also trying to give the fans Luke in a two hour timespan.

Personally I don't even think we will see much more of Luke in Mando Season 3. He will return I am sure butI am sure they will limit his presence as the last thing they want is for this to be another skywalker fest.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote a creative (?) reaction to the season 2 finale. The article's got some issues, but if you've got the time, I'd love some feedback or push-back. I'm open to having my mind changed here.
-----------

I was bored so I figured why not help edit?

4edAdar.png

usD1ddF.png

axrbi4n.png

l234BeY.png

It seems my comments got cut off so here are them all in order:

I feel this type of language is good for a forum post, but for an article you should avoid using such casual, conversation speech.

You started this bit by tying it to your food analogy. "Let's look at the ingredients." So, your reactions should match the setup of reacting to reading off a list of ingredients.

Titles should be either underlined or capitalized.

Earlier you said "Season 2" now you've spelt out the numeral, stay consistent.

This parenthetical doesn't add much and could be removed, feels like your qualifying your enjoyment of S1 too much.
I feel this paragraph should be placed at the start. You're interrupting critique to qualify, again, your examination by assuring the reader that "no, I still totally liked it." If you must do that, qualify at the start and let the critique flow uninterrupted.
Unnecessary bit, you're making the analogy too long. Focus on the critique, not the analogy.
You want to end by tying back with your original analogy regarding McChickens. Instead, you kind of end with a similar analogy regarding chefs in a kitchen.

As for as general thoughts, I feel you spend too much time qualifying your critique than actually analyzing. You should spend more thought and words breaking down why you felt the finale worked as opposed to trying to either qualify your opinion or wrapping it in an analogy that doesn't provide specific critique.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Personally I think there are key differences between the comparisons tried to be drawn here. Main one being is that movie to tv show. We have spent more hours following the adventures of Din Djarin and Grogu than we have even Luke Skywalker. The show after two seasons has created this relationship with the audience that has felt earned. The issue with TFA that Michael Arndt would have run into is that trying to write new, unestablished main characters and trying to set them up for a new trilogy while also trying to give the fans Luke in a two hour timespan.

Personally I don't even think we will see much more of Luke in Mando Season 3. He will return I am sure butI am sure they will limit his presence as the last thing they want is for this to be another skywalker fest.

Yeah this quote is bullshit. You can't compare 16 episodes of Mando with a few minutes of Luke in it VS a fricking two-hour movie introducing a whole new cast and trying to figure how to have Luke into it. Dumb gotcha.

Oct 25, 2017
My mom hasn't cared about Star Wars since she was young in the 80's besides Mandalorian because she saw Baby Yoda at our Christmas celebration last year,

She flipped the hell out about Luke.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I was bored so I figured why not help edit?

4edAdar.png

usD1ddF.png

axrbi4n.png

l234BeY.png

It seems my comments got cut off so here are them all in order:

As for as general thoughts, I feel you spend too much time qualifying your critique than actually analyzing. You should spend more thought and words breaking down why you felt the finale worked as opposed to trying to either qualify your opinion or wrapping it in an analogy that doesn't provide specific critique.

Much appreciated! Thanks so much for taking the time.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey

This situation reminds me of the solo MCU films post-Avengers. A lot of crucial events happened between the Avengers movies where the indivudual characters had to overcome only by themselves, with some guest Avengers popping up only as cameos. That didn't stop solo movies becoming enjoyable or the fact that Thor or Hulk exists didn't killed of the tension in yhe Winter Soldier so, i don't think it is much of an issue in Star Wars either. A lot of shit will happen where Luke's presence will bre required, that's for certain but he or Ahsoka won't always be there since it's a huge ass galaxy.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

eh, Luke reveal and action is cool and all, but the meat of this episode is still the goodbye scene. it's what make the episode great. also, I'm arguing, that scene can works because it's Luke. if it's a new unknown Jedi character, there's a good chance audience will be disappointed with this unknown mysterious character coming just to take Grogu and leave. Luke works because audience already know Luke and trust him.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I feel like it would have been more interesting to have Grogu refuse to leave with Luke, but I assume they know what they're doing, so whatever.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like it would have been more interesting to have Grogu refuse to leave with Luke, but I assume they know what they're doing, so whatever.

After Ashoka that wasn't going to happen again. Imagine Luke going through all that and Grogu just nopeing him.

But really, Grogu couldn't resist R2. He's like a much bigger version of the ball :D

Oct 25, 2017
México
Why don't Grogu and Mando just Facetime
The Star Wars Universe is kinda weird with their technology. It's retro-futuristic.

Sure, they have advanced technology like light speed travel, advanced robots with real AI, lightsabers, but they have atrocious graphics/UI on their computers, and I don't think they have the equivalent of smartphones.

I don't even think they have internet/messaging.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The Star Wars Universe is kinda weird with their technology. It's retro-futuristic.

Sure, they have advanced technology like light speed travel, advanced robots with real AI, lightsabers, but they have atrocious graphics/UI on their computers, and I don't think they have the equivalent of smartphones.

I don't even think they have internet/messaging.
Well at the very least Attack of the Clones established that the technology exists to hologram from hella far distances when obi-wan phoned the council about the clone army.
Maybe only the elites could afford that lol.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Pretty sure phone exist and they exchange number offscreen, how do Din find Bo Katan so easily. Didn't look like she's still in that same planet from before

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the finale an hour ago. Big reveal was spoiled for me (thanks random Google News notifications) but the sequence was still awesome to watch.

My dad knew about it too haha. He checked to see if the fire in the den fireplace was dying down and asked me about it. He got a similar notice through apple's notifications.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
In 2020 we got one of the best Star Wars things ever. The world needed this.

I agree. Just watched it and I couldn't believe it. I didn't even think it was Luke when I saw the glove. Couldn't believe it when he revealed himself and I thought it looked fantastic.

Then I come to the internet to see people complaining. Not all of course but enough to make we wonder why I bother.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In 2020 we got one of the best Star Wars things ever. The world needed this.
A Biden win, celebrations in the streets like it's Return of the Jedi, new consoles, Ahsoka and Bo-Katan in live action, the return of Boba Fett, vaccines, and now the return of young Luke Skywalker. Last couple months of 2020 have been pretty great.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Look, if we get a scene where Luke and Ahsoka get to talk about Anakin, Vader, Obi-Wan, the Jedi and she plants the seed of doubt on the jedi ways in him.

I'll buy three TROS Blu-Rays. No joke.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
[
Look, if we get a scene where Luke and Ahsoka get to talk about Anakin, Vader, Obi-Wan, the Jedi and she plants the seed of doubt on the jedi ways in him.

I'll buy three TROS Blu-Rays. No joke.

could Luke realize that Ahsoka exists because he will do the same she did to Grogu to know about him and realize there is another jedi out there