• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Look at Solo. People rejected the idea even before it was released because these actors are the characters to most people. Batman and Joker were pre-existing characters long before live action so people are more comfortable with different interpretations. Hamill, Ford and Fisher will be the characters forever. Ewan Mcgregor worked because it was a prequel.

Star Wars should just focus on creating new characters instead of trying to recast old characters.
Plenty of people were fine with the recasting and liked Solo. If you're Lucasfilm, the takeaway from the extremely fractured responses to all of the recent Star Wars media should be "Fuck it."

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Luke slashing a couple of droids and being a badass is being more respectful to the character than giving him a complete emotional character arc?

What am I reading here.
here's the thing the last jedi stated everything luke did was failure, he is on acto because he failed in everything, and that luke is not the hero we grew up with, it wasn't till the literal climax of the movie that we got that luke, and to get there we had to have luke lose the development of the OT and act in ways that luke wouldn't act to get to punished luke so he can have that arc i am sorry that's not okay to me,

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So where does Din go from here?

He's the Mandalore now but he doesn't care about the position, are we going to have a scene of him and the Armourer telling him his new mission is to restore and reunite the Mandalorians? Him and Bo-katan dueling it out? Where/when does Grogu factor into the picture again? Hard to see the franchise moving forward without him.
True, but I also think the future of the series would've been equally as difficult to see if it ended with Dinn not giving him to a Jedi and it being like "status quo gang - what are Din and Grogu going to get up to next?"

To me this leaves it on an interesting new thread whereas that other one wouldn't have.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the TROS trailer released and people screamed that JJ was going to save them and SW?

This feels exactly like that.
I don't even remember who said what during it, but I remember after watching, I wrote out in a discord saying "Why didn't he instead just call it STAR WARS - WE'RE SORRY, WE'RE SO SORRY"

And then I calmed down thinking it wouldn't be so bad

and then it was.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
poeople only want to see lightsabers cut thru stuff.

seeing commentaries along the lines "the best star wars content since Rogue One"

cemented this.

people really dont remember all of Rogue, they only remember Vader going through nameles goons and be cool looking.
dude the best part of rogue is the fact that the rebellion isn't squeeky clean, that there are people on both sides that are more than willing to do shitty things for their cause, rogue one is the quintessential grey star wars movie, yeah vaders scene is awesome but that does not mean i love the film just for that

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
here's the thing the last jedi stated everything luke did was failure, he is on acto because he failed in everything, and that luke is not the hero we grew up with, it wasn't till the literal climax of the movie that we got that luke, and to get there we had to have luke lose the development of the OT and act in ways that luke wouldn't act to get to punished luke so he can have that arc i am sorry that's not okay to me,
Character development is not a permanent powerup. Sometimes you regress, just like in real life.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The original trilogy was not horrible. They had to separate Ashoka Tano story because she never appeared in the OT.
If they use mandalorian to explain every single bad decision made on Rise of The Skywalker and The last jedi, will you feel ok? Let's make the emperor appear on season 3?
Except that they didn't explain anything that we didn't already know about the ST. We already know Luke around this time is searching for Jedi lore and force sensitives. We've known that since BEFORE TLJ even came out.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
but its for kids primarily and for kids networks initially which stops them from exploring darker themes in The Clone Wars and Mandalorian civil war.
We're 2 seasons into the Mandalorian. What darker themes have they done on this show that they couldn't put into a cartoon? This is a family friendly Disney+ show. Its well made buts its primary audience is for kids and fans of SW.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The odds of Luke showing up to get Grogu were pretty high considering, at this point in the timeline, there's only like 4 active Jedi that we know about?
  • Luke Skywalker
  • Ahsoka Tano
  • Ezra Bridger
  • Cal Kestis
Ahsoka already said no. Ezra is missing. For all we know Cal didn't survive the war against the Empire. Cal or Luke were the only two picks that really made sense.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dude the best part of rogue is the fact that the rebellion isn't squeeky clean, that there are people on both sides that are more than willing to do shitty things for their cause, rogue one is the quintessential grey star wars movie, yeah vaders scene is awesome but that does not mean i love the film just for that
This.

It's a group of people that are all very different but have - in some way - the same aim. To me the movie has a cool structure and let's be real - the space battle is insane and Star Wars ALWAYS needs more of that.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I get what you're sYinf but who else was going to answer the call? There are no Jedi left at this point. Luke and maybe Asoka. In this case it makes sense it's Luke.
It's just so tired at this point. Just give me something original that's not going to be held up plot wise with the same old characters. I get how much those characters mean to people, but there's so much potential to do something new. It just blows my mind that they always go back to the greatest hits, so to speak.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Character development is not a permanent powerup. Sometimes you regress, just like in real life.
I genuinely wonder if the people saying that they undid Luke's development would be able to stomach more adult shows with way more human characters and WAY more self destructive behaviors. Like Bojack Horseman is unwatchable based on the logic fueling the criticism of Luke's portrayal in TLJ

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Luke going around looking for force sensitives to add to his academy has been a thing for decades in the old EU. Actually seeing that happen in live action is pretty surreal.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
i can agree with regression if it doesn't come at undoing the cost of everything the character went through, but it's why i hate the endings of superior spider man 2019 and infamous ironman despite them being some of my favorite runs, while new emotional arcs may have come out of them they did it at the sacrifice of those characters

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this generally, my bigger issue with Luke's arc in TLJ is that it basically simultaneously recycles a character arc he went through and a story arc the franchise as a whole went through. I'll fully admit my dislike of TLJ is personal preference but there was too much "kicking the can" in that story for my liking.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished.

Me before the last 10 minutes or so:

0Ccwb.jpg

Me when the X-Wing shows up:

template-leonardo-dicaprio-laughing-1106-0c6db91aec9c.png

The show has no fucking restraint. I can't believe they did that shit. The most hilarious part was I kept wondering if they were gonna re-cast or do CGI-deaging. Then Luke lifts his hood to reveal a godawful monstrosity. Like, could they not get Hamill and they just had to completely composite an image without his reference? If you're going to be so fucking stupid as to use Luke then either recast him or just use Hamill with some make-up and slight-deaging. Why use such a monstrosity?

Funny thing though, the CGI monstrosity of Luke was better actor than Gina. 😂

Also, how the fuck was Bo-Katan STILL alive? What was the point of Moff Gideon shooting her then?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing how every single god damn star wars threads turns into people showing their ass with absurd TLJ hate. Yall need to get the fuck over it.

PS Luke being a hermit failure was established by JJ, not Rian.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished.

Me before the last 10 minutes or so:

0Ccwb.jpg

Me when the X-Wing shows up:

template-leonardo-dicaprio-laughing-1106-0c6db91aec9c.png

The show has no fucking restraint. I can't believe they did that shit. The most hilarious part was I kept wondering if they were gonna re-cast or do CGI-deaging. Then Luke lifts his hood to reveal a godawful monstrosity. Like, could they not get Hamill and they just had to completely composite an image without his reference? If you're going to be so fucking stupid as to use Luke then either recast him or just use Hamill with some make-up and slight-deaging. Why use such a monstrosity?

Funny thing though, the CGI monstrosity of Luke was better actor than Gina. 😂

Also, how the fuck was Bo-Katan STILL alive? What was the point of Moff Gideon shooting her then?
You used that Leo meme incorrectly

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Luke slashing a couple of droids and being a badass is being more respectful to the character than giving him a complete emotional character arc?

What am I reading here. I hate to be negative since I enjoyed the episode but some of these takes whewwhewwhew.
The direct result of four decades worth of old EU writers not getting what made Luke an interesting character.
i can agree with regression if it doesn't come at undoing the cost of everything the character went through, but it's why i hate the endings of superior spider man 2019 and infamous ironman despite them being some of my favorite runs, while new emotional arcs may have come out of them they did it at the sacrifice of those characters
Luke's portrayal in TLJ was not a regression. Luke was never an isolated person with suicidal depression. That was never something he had to overcome. He NEVER failed to the degree that he failed in between the OT and ST. And that's why he was broken in that film. It's a very very human portrayal of the character vs. how Disney portrays his young version. The young version in multiple stories, multiple mediums, is always shown from the perspective of usually completely normal people. Which results in him looking like a deity like figure where it's no wonder why he became a legend. The show does the exact same thing. And it doing that exact same thing does not forgo the part where we know that at some point he will be so emotionally devastated that he will give up on everything. We're just now filling in more of the blanks.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
With Grogu gone, I think there will be less Jedi stuff in the next season. Maybe Ahsoka will show up again, but that should be about it.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I genuinely wonder if the people saying that they undid Luke's development would be able to stomach more adult shows with way more human characters and WAY more self destructive behaviors. Like Bojack Horseman is unwatchable based on the logic fueling the criticism of Luke's portrayal in TLJ
bojack is not luke, bojack's character is to be self destructive luke's is not, i don't need for bojack to succeed because him succeeding is not his character until he comes to terms with his self destructive behavior we he won't ever get away because of his own consequence, and here's the thing i can enjoy punished luke if the way we got wasn't out of character in my opinion

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
*Let me go check era and see the reactions to Luke showing up*

*The Last Jedi is being argued about again*

qgGuXW3.gif

Boba Fett's series will probably not have any notable Jedi or Sith in it for those of you tired of the super-powered samurai showing up.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I didn't really expect Luke to show up, mostly because of the scale of the story and the scale Luke usually works at. The Mandalorian is small scale. The main villain is a local Moff in a Light Cruiser (he doesn't even get a full-on Star Destroyer) and the stakes are personal with the hint of someone behind the scenes that will be someone else's problem. Which is fine, it's a good setup for Din to realize that some things are more important than a Creed. Like Grogu.

Luke, however, operates on the galactic scale. He deals with Death Stars, Emperors, and the cosmic conflict between light and darkness. The Skywalker stories are so far above these Outer Rim troubles that inserting Luke into one of those is sort of like inserting an exclamation point into a sentence. It just ends!

But that's why he works in this episode for me. These outskirt troubles have caught the attention of someone so very far above what they usually deal in. That's probably why Moff Gideon gets that look when he realizes what's about to happen. He messed up and got Jedi attention. And not just any Jedi, the one who more or less killed the Empire itself. Anything Gideon was up to on that ship ended when that familiar X-Wing emerged from Hyperspace.

The story, for ten minutes, had jumped to galactic scale, and nobody on that cruiser was ready to deal with that. And yet it all pulls back to the small scale with Din taking off his helmet to say goodbye to Grogu. Which is exactly where the story should be. Because, the heart of The Mandalorian is the relationship between those two, so that's what the season ends on.

Best thing is, though, I have no idea what the next season will do. Not only is the Darksaber thing very unresolved, but with Luke in play, the stories can now be anywhere from the personal scale to fate of the galaxy scale. I hope it stays small and uses the big scale sparingly. But we'll see. You can't really get away from having one of the main characters of the show attached to Luke Skywalker and still stay small scale all the time. Because that's Luke Kriffing Skywalker and the galaxy does revolve around him to some degree.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
People keep bringing up Bo-Katan getting shot when I'm pretty sure it was Sasha Banks's character. Though granted it's easy to mix them up with the helmet on.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So um, doesn't Luke taking Grogu conflict with the new-EU? I thought he was searching old temples and lost texts at this point? He didn't get apprentices until much later, right?

I'm not really mad because I don't care about consistent EU-canon, but am I wrong?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wonder if the people saying that they undid Luke's development would be able to stomach more adult shows with way more human characters and WAY more self destructive behaviors. Like Bojack Horseman is unwatchable based on the criticism of Luke's portrayal in TLJ

I had no issues with Luke having a complete emotional breakdown in TLJ, but it was just so in your face that is just felt.. out of place for a character that has been through so many highs and lows in life. The confused gasps (including mine) when Luke just fucking tosses his lightsaber literally set the feel for the ENTIRE movie. I wanted to feel sad for Luke. I wanted to empathize, but the pacing didn't even give us time for that between weird grumpy, outbursts of the character and just the fucking awkward comedic takes at the wrong times in-between those. For me, for my sake, if the tone it took was more real and serious then maybe I wouldn't have left that theater in utter disbelief and confusion at what I witnessed for a character I hadn't seen on the big screen in decades.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
*Let me go check era and see the reactions to Luke showing up*

*The Last Jedi is being argued about again*

qgGuXW3.gif

Boba Fett's series will probably not have any notable Jedi or Sith in it for those of you tired of the super-powered samurai showing up.

the only good star wars is a star wars that has my space dad being very cool with his space sword and space magic

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The direct result of four decades worth of old EU writers not getting what made Luke an interesting character.

Luke's portrayal in TLJ was not a regression. Luke was never an isolated person with suicidal depression. That was never something he had to overcome. He NEVER failed to the degree that he failed in between the OT and ST. And that's why he was broken in that film. It's a very very human portrayal of the character vs. how Disney portrays his young version. The young version in multiple stories, multiple mediums, is always shown from the perspective of usually completely normal people. Which results in him looking like a deity like figure where it's no wonder why he became a legend. The show does the exact same thing. And it doing that exact same thing does not forgo the part where we know that at some point he will be so emotionally devastated that he will give up on everything. We're just now filling in more of the blanks.

him being all cocky, "i will protect him with my life" and all that jazz.

we are seeing the seeds.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really enjoyed that and the series as a whole, but then I'm not into the minutiae of Star Wars so the broad strokes worked well for someone who has a fleeting interest in the property.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's pretty amazing how every single god damn star wars threads turns into people showing their ass with absurd TLJ hate. Yall need to get the fuck over it.

PS Luke being a hermit failure was established by JJ, not Rian.

It's just as amazing that anyone who dares to critique TLJ is met with ridicule and name calling, as if they aren't allowed an opinion.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Because that's Luke Kriffing Skywalker and the galaxy does revolve around him to some degree.
i mean it kind of does, he's the savior of the rebelion recreator of the jedi order, the son of vader, one of the crown princes of the empire( by being vader's son who was also in line to the throne) destroyer of the hut mafia, killer of the first death star, the dude is literally galactic scale

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What am I reading here. I hate to be negative since I enjoyed the episode but some of these takes whewwhewwhew.

A lot of people here seem to miss that OT and TLJ Luke was a pacifist, not some bad ass space samurai.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I had no issues with Luke having a complete emotional breakdown in TLJ, but it was just so in your face that is just felt.. out of place for a character that has been through so many highs and lows in life. The confused gasps (including mine) when Luke just fucking tosses his lightsaber literally set the feel for the ENTIRE movie. I wanted to feel sad for Luke. I wanted to empathize, but the pacing didn't even give us time for that between weird grumpy, outbursts of the character and just the fucking awkward comedic takes at the wrong times in-between those. For me, for my sake, if the tone it took was more real and serious then maybe I wouldn't have left that theater in utter disbelief and confusion at what I witnessed for a character I hadn't seen on the big screen in decades.
You were supposed to be confused and disappointed. It was literally a commentary on hero worship. Rey literally went from persistence, to disappointment, to anger at the realization that Luke had lost his way. After everything she had heard. The pacing was absolutely fine, there were plenty of quiet moments in the film. Probably more so than any other SW content out there.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
The CGI face was laughable. It seems that there are still many years left to create a photorealistic face.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
So um, doesn't Luke taking Grogu conflict with the new-EU? I thought he was searching old temples and lost texts at this point? He didn't get apprentices until much later, right?

I'm not really mad because I don't care about consistent EU-canon, but am I wrong?

He was, but it wouldn't be terribly in-character for OT Luke to turn down an obvious need for help in favor of spelunking for Jedi shit

Plus he could probably just slap a baby-carrier on R2 if he really needed to