• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
As we're on the topic of Yoda, let's discuss him.
He dies in 4 ABY (during the events of Return of the Jedi) and proclaims "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not." This means he had to be born in or around 896 BBY. We also know Yoda appears in the High Republic novels and comics and is around 700 years old. There's still a huge swath of time there, stories of Yoda's training, his master and what the Galaxy even looked like when he was born as it changes so much in such a little time. That means he was born in a period between the old republic and high republic - we know pretty little about this time period in general.

Now let's discuss aging. If we had to relate Yoda to an age within the human aging scheme of things. For example when Yoda dies he's lived for 900 years, I wonder if that's similar, in terms of a human life span, as a 90 year old. It seems Yoda dies of old age and while he may have lived longer if he didn't live out his final years on a weird swamp planet, I think it's clear it is old age which takes him. Now if we look at that analogy of 90 years in a human life = 900 years in Yoda's life, I'm not referring to time here - I'm referring to the affects of aging and cognitive ability. This could also be applied to Grougu, who we know is around 50 years old, making him similar to a 5 year old human on our life span. But it's hard to say if that works, Grogu is clearly smart and in tune with the force but his lack of linguistic abilities would place him much younger than 5 in our eyes when looking at him with a human life span in mind. The fan base didn't start calling him Child Yoda, it was Baby Yoda because he looked (somewhat) like a human baby and acted/sounded like one too.

Just some food for thought anyway. I find it fascinating though because Grougu could be the oldest Jedi in a far flung story set hundreds of years beyond The Mandalorian and the sequel trilogy. I wonder if his lack of advancement beyond "baby stage" is due to the lack of development and teaching he went through for a good long while after escaping the Jedi Temple? It's very likely he may have been much further along in his development and power (no doubt) if the Jedi didn't fall. Maybe if Star Wars can do a "What If" show like Marvel, we could see a Grogu grow up in a Galaxy where the empire doesn't rise and Anakin doesn't turn... but that's just a story for legends I suppose.

Anyway, I'm going to grab some sleep (here in the UK) and then wake up for the finale episode in the morning. Can't wait!
To add a tiny little bit, I've also wondered if the during the time between RotS and Mando S1 he was in some sort of stasis or something. That time period accounts for more than half of his life. He would have been 22 at the time the Order fell.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
To add a tiny little bit, I've also wondered if the during the time between RotS and Mando S1 he was in some sort of stasis or something. That time period accounts for more than half of his life. He would have been 22 at the time the Order fell.
Yeah there's something during that time period that we just don't know about. It's also very possibly that Yoda's species needs a lot of support in its development and Grogu being hidden away and scared for so long made him regress not only mentally but also locking away his memories and force powers. The idea of him being in stasis is interesting because he could have been out in stasis for his own good/safety but then someone took him out. We also don't know how the Imperial Remnant discovered him or learnt of his existence - or how they got a tracking fob for him as a specific life form either.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason Grogu has failed to properly develop is actually due to a lack of education because of where he has been for all this time. The Jedi Temple fell twenty five years ago so if, as you say, he's the equivalent of a five year old (which I agree with) then he was about the equivalent of a two and a half year old when it happened. If he has spent most of the last twenty five years as a lab rat for the Empire, which is entirely possible, then he never would have learned how to read or write or even speak for that matter.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I think the reason Grogu has failed to properly develop is actually due to a lack of education because of where he has been for all this time. The Jedi Temple fell twenty five years ago so if, as you say, he's the equivalent of a five year old (which I agree with) then he was about the equivalent of a two and a half year old when it happened. If he has spent most of the last twenty five years as a lab rat for the Empire, which is entirely possible, then he never would have learned how to read or write or even speak for that matter.
Yeah this is where I'm leaning to the most. I liked the Stasis theory too though, I hadn't thought of that. Do you think the show will ever explore this more? That time period between RotS, ANH and Mando Episode 1 - what happened to Grogu, who got him out of the temple...etc. Or do you think they'll never mention it again or... I hope we get flashbacks personally. I really do. There's so much they could do and show.

Nov 27, 2020
Not gonna lie, I'm going to be disappointed if they don't end the season showing the Jedi who answered Grogu's call.
There is precedent with this show, however. Season 1, we saw someone approaching Fenris on Tatooine, and that wasn't followed up until this season. I mean, we all kind of knew it was Boba...or was it Cobb? We still don't really know! Lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is where I'm leaning to the most. I liked the Stasis theory too though, I hadn't thought of that. Do you think the show will ever explore this more? That time period between RotS, ANH and Mando Episode 1 - what happened to Grogu, who got him out of the temple...etc. Or do you think they'll never mention it again or... I hope we get flashbacks personally. I really do. There's so much they could do and show.

I think they'll tell us through a flashback.

Not going to lie - the dream is that Quinlan Vos foresaw what was going to happen because of the... clarity... he acquired during Dark Disciple, so he got Grogu (the two having basically grown up together) out of the Temple before shit went south but then got caught up in Order 66 and the Empire got to the kid before Quinlan could return to him.

Then when Grogu reaches out, it's Quinlan that answers and he's super happy that the kid is still alive because he's been looking for him for nearly twenty five years and the relationship between the two actually makes Din a bit jealous. 😂

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Any chance it's Quinlan Vos? If we're bringing in Clone Wars characters. Plus, having a more rogue-ish Jedi on the show would be in line with its tone. And he survived Order 66.

"Quinlan Vos was a Jedi who spent plenty of his time doing undercover missions. His background as a part of a group known as the Kiffar gave him the unique force power to witness pass events by touching objects that were involved in them. In canon, Vos's fate isn't 100% confirmed but his name did appear in Star Wars Rebels on The Grand Inquisitors list of possible surviving Jedi. It would make sense for him to live because he was on an undercover mission during Order 66 and was not near any clones. Vos also makes a brief cameo in Episode I."

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I don't usually watch this at midnight. I don't see the episode. Do they put it up sometime in the morning?

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to blow my mind if this is not at least 50 minutes.
The finale is going to be so rushed if it is anything less.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The Season 1 finale, Chapter 8, was 46 minutes, so we can expect something like that. Hopefully, it's closer to the length of the first episode, or more.

I'm kind of nervous. I honestly don't know what to expect. WIth S1, almost everything (except Kuill's death) went as how I expected. That isn't a negative, just that I think it did everything right and as it should've.

But something that worries me with this season's finale is that they might go for the "shocking" finale similar to ESB, but that could backfire. This show has so far been a bit predictable and by the book, but I think that's actually been key to its popularity. It rewards us for years of consuming Star Wars stories, or any kind of story in a lot of media, and gives it to us in a fresh new look with nostalgia thrown in, with the added benefit of modern television production being able to deliver new scenarios, characters and action pieces that wasn't possible on a episodic basis before.

It's a great ride, which is what Star Wars is for a lot of people and in many ways, the Original Trilogy was also that: the old as time tale of the Hero's Journey and archetypes wrapped in a neat and new package.

So I hope they keep delivering that for this finale. I do think we'll get a death, but I hope it's not Din's or Grogu's (of course it won't, but...), and the death will be compensated with a new and pleasing reveal at the end, like seeing who answered Grogu's call, or if Thrawn, Snoke, or the First Order shows up in any way.

Oct 25, 2017
Epdc595W8AI45y6

Man I am excited for this finale.

Mando is such a comfort show

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Final prediction, I think the absolute worst jedi that Grogu could have summoned would be Luke, so it's probably him they're gonna go with.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
47 minutes long. Yes. Good length.

EDIT: Damnit! it's crashing! Let me see the episode people! Y'all wait until morning!