• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm sure this is the end of the "Grogu arc" of The Mandalorian. I think someone will show up to take the kid and Din will hesitantly hand Grogu over on pain of death if anything happens to him, before riding off into the sunset to head off on another adventure. Bo-Katan mentioning she intends to rebuild Mandalore and how important the Darksaber will be to achieving that should be the basis for the "Mandalore Restoration arc".

I am 200% confident that Grogu is built into the DNA of the show. Grogu's time on the show will be over when the show ends.

Even IF that was originally the plan, I guarantee you it was changed once they saw how massively popular he was. But I don't know how you can watch Din and Grogu clearly becoming attached to each other and think, "yeah, Din's just going to drop him off and call it a day."

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am 200% confident that Grogu is built into the DNA of the show. Grogu's time on the show will be over when the show ends.

Even IF that was originally the plan, I guarantee you it was changed once they saw how massively popular he was. But I don't know how you can watch Din and Grogu clearly becoming attached to each other and think, "yeah, Din's just going to drop him off and call it a day."

It's how arcs work. The show is called The Mandalorian after all, so it's going to be about whatever Din gets up to. How long can they really keep up this whole "the Empire wants Grogu!" storyline before people get bored of it anyway?

You can't really say folks will abandon the show if Grogu leaves, either, 'cause we just had one of the best episodes of both seasons and the kid wasn't in a single scene. I think the show is likely to try to mix things up like that so that it isn't reliant on a single gimmick that they only added to sell toys in the first place.

It's not like we'd necessarily never see Grogu again, either. He could cameo multiple times a season if they really wanted, which would be fine since Din isn't going to just leave the kid and never look back, but the show wouldn't be about the kid and keeping him away from the Empire any more. It'd move onto a new arc where the stakes are different and the locations and enemies are new.

Nov 27, 2020
It's how arcs work. The show is called The Mandalorian after all, so it's going to be about whatever Din gets up to. How long can they really keep up this whole "the Empire wants Grogu!" storyline before people get bored of it anyway?

You can't really say folks will abandon the show if Grogu leaves, either, 'cause we just had one of the best episodes of both seasons and the kid wasn't in a single scene. I think the show is likely to try to mix things up like that so that it isn't reliant on a single gimmick that they only added to sell toys in the first place.

It's not like we'd necessarily never see Grogu again, either. He could cameo multiple times a season if they really wanted, which would be fine since Din isn't going to just leave the kid and never look back, but the show wouldn't be about the kid and keeping him away from the Empire any more. It'd move onto a new arc where the stakes are different and the locations and enemies are new.
I think the show will just shift from keeping him away from the Empire to finding his ultimate destiny, either as a Jedi, a Mandalorian, or both.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

I guess we'll find out soon enough, but to me it's clear Din+Grogu and how they change each other for the better is the central conceit of the show. Grogu doesn't always have to be the singular focus, but I think he'll always be present--especially as he is important to the "Empire is trying to make force-sensitive... things (Snokes? Soldiers? Sheev bodies?)" storyline, which almost certainly won't be completely resolved next episode.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think they will ship him to Ashoka's show. Mandalorian is going to get something else to tag along. Unless they do some weird time-travel thing where Grogu returns early in S3 all grown up.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think they will ship him to Ashoka's show. Mandalorian is going to get something else to tag along. Unless they do some weird time-travel thing where Grogu returns early in S3 all grown up.

Why spend the last 2 seasons building the relationship between Din and Grogu to a point where Din finally admits how much Grogu means to him, only to immediately ship Grogu away and bring in someone/thing else?

Grogu is here to stay, y'all.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we'll find out soon enough, but to me it's clear Din+Grogu and how they change each other for the better is the central conceit of the show. Grogu doesn't always have to be the singular focus, but I think he'll always be present--especially as he is important to the "Empire is trying to make force-sensitive... things (Snokes? Soldiers? Sheev bodies?)" storyline, which almost certainly won't be completely resolved next episode.

During season one I was convinced that the main thread of this show would revolve around the opposite - Mando realizing that his lifestyle might be influencing this kid negatively.

Purely from a visual storytelling perspective, there were plenty of reaction shots of Baby Yoda right after Mando or someone else committed some random act of casual violence. Almost immediately after meeting each other Baby Yoda witnesses Mando vaporize a bunch of Jawas, but maybe the biggest moment for me was the choice to cut straight to his face after Cara Dune coldly headshots that ferry boat droid in the finale. Plus the whole sequence of him gleefully riding along with IG Taika Waititi as he wreaks havoc on a bunch of guys

I remember discussing this with a friend last year and coming to the conclusion that Mando would eventually realize that he'd have to either make some serious life changes or give the kid up to someone else. I could still see it happening, I guess

Last edited:

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of Grogu (Baby Yoda, damnit!) would be a bolder creative (and financial) choice than I think they're capable of making.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
During season one I was convinced that the main thread of this show would revolve around the opposite - Mando realizing that his lifestyle might be influencing this kid negatively.

Purely from a visual storytelling perspective were plenty of reaction shots of Baby Yoda after Mando or someone else committed some random act of casual violence. Almost immediately after meeting each other, Baby Yoda witnesses Mando vaporize a bunch of Jawas, but maybe the biggest moment for me was the choice to cut straight to his face after Cara Dune coldly headshots that ferry boat droid in the finale. Plus the whole sequence of him gleefully riding along with IG Taika Waititi as he wreaks havoc on a bunch of guys

I remember discussing this with a friend last year and coming to the conclusion that Mando would eventually realize that he'd have to either make some serious life changes or give the kid up to someone else. I could still see it happening, I guess

I agree with you--I think that was all very intentional and is still a story they will explore! Both Din and Grogu still have a LOT of growing to do.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why spend the last 2 seasons building the relationship between Din and Grogu to a point where Din finally admits how much Grogu means to him, only to immediately ship Grogu away and bring in someone/thing else?

Grogu is here to stay, y'all.

Yeah but as a little creature he has his limits. He's going to magically grow up I bet. Then again, too much CG implications. So I don't know, they gotta save him to bring him back to boost some other show or movie. But yeah, maybe he won't be out this season, maybe next. Or the Mandalorian just dies and then he hops off to another show.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of Grogu would literally be the worst decision ever. His existence carries the show for most people.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
This is His Way.

7zEOy06.jpg

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
This would be such a crazy way to finish out this series. Grogu decked out in full on, custom Mandalorian armor for his body type.

I'm just sitting here in awe that we're heading into the season finale of season 2 of this show, and it's going to feature Boba fucking Fett fighting alongside of Dinn, Fennec Shand and Cara Dune. We might even see Bo Katan and her other Mandalorians join the fight, potentially even Ahsoka or another Jedi. Shit is crazy that we're at this point.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Cap may or may not be dead. He was in Rebels and his ship was destroyed though they never say if he is dead or not

Dave wants him alive.
Zahn or Authors can continue to write his story.

io9.gizmodo.com

That Fan Favorite EU Character Name Dropped on Star Wars Rebels Is Alive and Well

Hardcore Star Wars fans probably did a double take this week when a certain name from the Expanded Universe was mentioned during the Rebels finale. It was just a brief moment, cut off before it went on too long, and maybe some assumed that was it. No, executive producer Dave Filoni told us...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Grogu won't go away what would the show even be about? Where would Din go? Teaching kids on Navarro and making stew with Carl Weathers? They each other are their only family. Prediction: a Jedi will come save the day against Gideon, they will all agree that Grogu needs to be trained at the end of the season but the Mandalorian civil war starts up again because of Bo Katan. Next season the Mando Grogu Jedi team goes on to stop the fighting (the arc lasts all season), after that the Jedi realizes it's safer for Din and Grogu to stay and live a happy life on Mandalore and he goes on to fight the Empire or whatever. End of the show.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Grogu might not be the focus in the next seasons, but he'll definitely be in the last.

Mandalorian is all about the relation of Din e Grogu.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I have stopped visiting this thread over the last couple of weeks due to being busy; just caught up with the last 3 episodes last night which were great.

But I see people name-dropping Mace in the thread casually...if I've been spoiled to the final episodes ending, I'm going to be ripping a few users a new one :/

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I have stopped visiting this thread over the last couple of weeks due to being busy; just caught up with the last 3 episodes last night which were great.

But I see people name-dropping Mace in the thread casually...if I've been spoiled to the final episodes ending, I'm going to be ripping a few users a new one :/

No evidence points to Mace being in this, it's just wild speculation.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

There have been no leaks for the final episode at all (edit: except for soundtrack titles, but nothing much)

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Hope so! Yeah, I haven't even checked the titles on the soundtrack. Baby Yoda, I knew was coming but only found out part way through the episode (Twitter notification) when I was watching Season 1, but I could appreciate how they weaved hints in throughout the episode. In this case, I can speculate what might happen, but I have no idea and am hoping to stay that way until the finale comes!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Mace thing is literally random YouTube speculation.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a length for tomorrows episode already? I have a zoom call an hour after it goes live, so it might be tight :P

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
So, Grogu is already like... 50+ years old right? Since he survived Order 66 and the OG trilogy has come to pass.

I knew Yoda's race got old, but not that old.

EDIT: Oh, NVM. Mando says so in the very first ep. apparently.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm going to be disappointed if they don't end the season showing the Jedi who answered Grogu's call.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Thats the downside of "speculation".. I did not even expect the mystery jedi to show up next chapter.

No doubt. It just seems like something they put out there and now need to deliver on. It's Chekhov's gun. Waiting for season 3 to reveal it would be weird. I mean, at least show us a hand or the back of their body, or something.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
As we're on the topic of Yoda, let's discuss him.
He dies in 4 ABY (during the events of Return of the Jedi) and proclaims "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not." This means he had to be born in or around 896 BBY. We also know Yoda appears in the High Republic novels and comics and is around 700 years old. There's still a huge swath of time there, stories of Yoda's training, his master and what the Galaxy even looked like when he was born as it changes so much in such a little time. That means he was born in a period between the old republic and high republic - we know pretty little about this time period in general.

Now let's discuss aging. If we had to relate Yoda to an age within the human aging scheme of things. For example when Yoda dies he's lived for 900 years, I wonder if that's similar, in terms of a human life span, as a 90 year old. It seems Yoda dies of old age and while he may have lived longer if he didn't live out his final years on a weird swamp planet, I think it's clear it is old age which takes him. Now if we look at that analogy of 90 years in a human life = 900 years in Yoda's life, I'm not referring to time here - I'm referring to the affects of aging and cognitive ability. This could also be applied to Grougu, who we know is around 50 years old, making him similar to a 5 year old human on our life span. But it's hard to say if that works, Grogu is clearly smart and in tune with the force but his lack of linguistic abilities would place him much younger than 5 in our eyes when looking at him with a human life span in mind. The fan base didn't start calling him Child Yoda, it was Baby Yoda because he looked (somewhat) like a human baby and acted/sounded like one too.

Just some food for thought anyway. I find it fascinating though because Grougu could be the oldest Jedi in a far flung story set hundreds of years beyond The Mandalorian and the sequel trilogy. I wonder if his lack of advancement beyond "baby stage" is due to the lack of development and teaching he went through for a good long while after escaping the Jedi Temple? It's very likely he may have been much further along in his development and power (no doubt) if the Jedi didn't fall. Maybe if Star Wars can do a "What If" show like Marvel, we could see a Grogu grow up in a Galaxy where the empire doesn't rise and Anakin doesn't turn... but that's just a story for legends I suppose.

Anyway, I'm going to grab some sleep (here in the UK) and then wake up for the finale episode in the morning. Can't wait!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking the Jedi who heard Grogu's call will be the same Jedi who took him from the Jedi temple. I wonder if this Jedi is responsible for Grogu's repressed memories? I also don't know or believe that this Jedi is going to save the day. It could be a swerve. I also wonder if that girl working on Gideon's ship could be Sabine Wren? I saw a theory about that which was interesting if I don't think too hard about how difficult that would be to pull off. Would make sense for Sabine to be working closely to Gideon, who has the Darksaber. I hope that character on Gideon's ship gets more to do, regardless.