• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grogu was talking to Cal so its time for his live action debut by the same actor
d11b8dd1686f84aaef7a7b26919553ff.gif

Hes out there searching for other jedi.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The bolded, for me, is not a bug, it's a feature. Reputations are by definition not the things that are true, just things that are said about you. It's the truth twisted, exaggerated, or even falsefied. "How does a bounty hunter become renowned and feared with a relationship to the right hand of the emperor" is something that makes me actually want to hear how such a thing came to happen. If the answer to the question "Why is the rumored to be this cold, effective bounty hunter" is "Because that is what he is", then that is really boring to me. Narrative-wise, I might as well not have heard it as a rumor then, because I would have preferred to discover how such a thing happened myself.

I want to wonder how. It'd be an interesting narrative challenge. How do you synthesize Boba Fett's reputation as a bounty hunter while keeping in character his incompetent as consistent character traits? That would be a difficult writing challenge and I'd like to see someone take it up.

But Mandalorian has no interest in that, so they just make him the generic badass he was envisioned as by the fanbase.

I'm starting to feel like a straight badass is the most uninteresting thing you can be in star wars.

Boba Fett's entire reputation is people thinking he was really cool and finally, FINALLY, after over three decades we see him in all the glory he had when we played with his action figures. Sometimes it's ok to have a character everyone likes actually just be really good at their job, and his incompetence in ROTJ is just as blown out of proportion as his badassery. Mando himself is already the variably badass and clumsy Indiana Jones-style character who spends half his time getting the shit kicked out of him and the other half kicking the shit out of everyone else.

So who's going to answer Grogu's rock call?

Luke?

I'm just gonna throw this out there because it's the only reasonable thing left Mando -'as a show could do that would make hardcore fans' heads absolutely explode and make everyone else go "who?":

Mara effin' Jade

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Boba Fett's entire reputation is people thinking he was really cool and finally, FINALLY, after over three decades we see him in all the glory he had when we played with his action figures. Sometimes it's ok to have a character everyone likes actually just be really good at their job, and his incompetence in ROTJ is just as blown out of proportion as his badassery. Mando himself is already the variably badass and clumsy Indiana Jones-style character who spends half his time getting the shit kicked out of him and the other half kicking the shit out of everyone else.
When the hell does Mando get the shit kicked out of him?

He runs people's side quests like he's their personal errand boy, but iirc, he's won any fight he's in easy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just gonna throw this out there because it's the only reasonable thing left Mando -'as a show could do that would make hardcore fans' heads absolutely explode and make everyone else go "who?":

Mara effin' Jade
giphy-downsized.gif

Lmao they'd never.

He runs people's side quests like he's their personal errand boy, but iirc, he's won any fight he's in easy.
We're only three episodes away from that time he nearly got drowned by random fish people.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

Mara effin' Jade
yep, I said to myself while watching it "Wow, they finally made Boba Fett cool"

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Show is vey good.They seem to get why Agents of Shield wasn't as good as it could've been and why the original trilogy is so beloved.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Probably coincidental but the Tython "temple" reminded me of this.

latest

Love Boba Fett's theme, short but recognizable and ominous.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked seeing Boba again and not surprised (but pleased) to see Fennec was alive but thought this was a pretty weak episode overall.

The showrunners really need to stop having Din and his allies-of-the-week easily mowing down dozens of enemies without any hint of danger - it's gotten old at this point.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

He got his ass kicked by the mudhorn, the dragon, was nearly killed by Gideon's troops and needed to be saved, his flamethrower constantly fails him, Ashoka nearly took off his head, he was knocked unconscious by the force field around Grogu just this episode, was nearly eaten by a sea monster, killed by giant spiders, etc. Half the time the only reason he's alive is because help swoops in.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I felt Boba and Mando buddied up a little too easily and the dialogue in this ep seemed especially not good, but it was fun to finally see Boba Fett kick ass.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I literally showed you proof that Lucas literally retconned his death because he wanted the character to actually live up to expectations he never intended the character to have. 😅 It's ok to be wrong.

Lucas is always changing his story. He knew how popular Boba was because he released the action figure before ESB came out, so kids were already hyped for him. Then ESB comes out and his popularity only increases. He stated: "The Boba Fett character is really an early version of Darth Vader," says Lucas in J.W. Rinzler's book The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. "He is also very much like the man-with-no-name from the Sergio Leone Westerns."

www.theringer.com

How Boba Fett Became a ‘Star Wars’ Icon

The bounty hunter barely appeared in the original trilogy—and died in hilariously sad fashion—yet he still endured in the extended universe and grew in popularity to the point that Disney+ staked its debut on a new series made in his image. Such is the power of looking really freaking cool.

To now say he was aloof that fans wanted more Boba is weird since you already had fans post-ESB believing he was secretly related to Luke. The reality is that Boba should have died in the Sarlaac Pit. It's the natural end to his story that reinforces Lucas' point seen many times in the series, being a badass doesn't mean shit and isn't cool. You can be as badass and cool as you want, you can still get taken out by dumb luck. You want to see what Darth Vader looks like when he's young, well here he is an emotionally stunted man-child that complains all the time, because that's the kind of person that becomes Darth Vader, not some cool and collected "badass."

Oh, you think Luke is just going to be some badass Jedi Knight that takes on the Emperor single-handedly? No, he's a scrub so far out of his depth that the Emperor could easily kill him. True heroism does not come through strength of arms but character. Luke beat the Emperor not by being an ultra-confident, badass Jedi. He beat him by throwing away his weapon and showing compassion to his father. Boba Fett, Anakin, Grievous, Dexter Jettster, Yoda are all reinforcing Lucas' love to subvert and challenge expectations.

So yeah, Boba Fett should've stayed dead. The "ultimate" badass taken out by a chump due to a lucky hit. But fans can't accept that and there is money to be made so "yeah, I never knew people would respond to him that way, so maybe he did survive."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
He got his ass kicked by the mudhorn, the dragon, was nearly killed by Gideon's troops and needed to be saved, his flamethrower constantly fails him, Ashoka nearly took off his head, he was knocked unconscious by the force field around Grogu just this episode, was nearly eaten by a sea monster, killed by giant spiders, etc. Half the time the only reason he's alive is because help swoops in.
I mean....okay, fair enough. I disagree with some of those (Ahsoka and him were pretty tied before they stopped fighting and he wasn't trying to fight her legit since he was looking for her) and one of those I don't even count because they're not even conceptually fights (I don't know why he keeps touching Grogu's force field when it hurts him, that's really dumb, but that's definitely not a fight), but I guess you're right with regards to stuff like when those sea guys pushed him in the water with the sea monster or when he needed help with teh spiders. I didn't really think of those as 'fights' either, but they were atleast combat situations.

But in fair fights, he tends to be untouchable.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Grogu was talking to Cal so its time for his live action debut by the same actor
d11b8dd1686f84aaef7a7b26919553ff.gif

Hes out there searching for other jedi.
In a way, he'd be the smart choice. He's one of the few SW characters where him showing up on Mandalorian would actually be a writing upgrade from the original he was made in.
So will sharpshooter frog lady help out Mando too?
Frog lady is too good for this show.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be Cal just 'cus he's so new but the list of people it could be are pretty short. It could also just be a new character but I feel like they're teasing us to see a fan favorite.

The most insane one would be Luke being played by a new actor, which is the one I would like the most. Mace Windu is also a real contender since it would play nicely with Boba Fett but I'd rather him be dead, Boba already used up their resurrect card.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be Cal just 'cus he's so new but the list of people it could be are pretty short. It could also just be a new character but I feel like they're teasing us to see a fan favorite.

The most insane one would be Luke being played by a new actor, which is the one I would like the most. Mace Windu is also a real contender since it would play nicely with Boba Fett but I'd rather him be dead, Boba already used up their resurrect card.

Gimme Winter Soldier Luke.

Cal would be a bad choice imo, it would take out any sort of suspense for the next Fallen Order game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lucas is always changing his story. He knew how popular Boba was because he released the action figure before ESB came out, so kids were already hyped for him. Then ESB comes out and his popularity only increases. He stated: "The Boba Fett character is really an early version of Darth Vader," says Lucas in J.W. Rinzler's book The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. "He is also very much like the man-with-no-name from the Sergio Leone Westerns."
He released tons of figures from the holiday special my dude. Dude was making bank.
To now say he was aloof that fans wanted more Boba is weird since you already had fans post-ESB believing he was secretly related to Luke. The reality is that Boba should have died in the Sarlaac Pit. It's the natural end to his story that reinforces Lucas' point seen many times in the series, being a badass doesn't mean shit and isn't cool. You can be as badass and cool as you want, you can still get taken out by dumb luck. You want to see what Darth Vader looks like when he's young, well here he is an emotionally stunted man-child that complains all the time, because that's the kind of person that becomes Darth Vader, not some cool and collected "badass."
The same Lucas signed off on the Clone Wars version of Anakin Skywalker that borderline ignores 99% of the characterization from literally all the prequel films. And that includes him being a total badass and nowhere near as emotionally stunted. Because Anakin in the prequels and how bungled that was was not what he envisioned when he had Obi-wan give a speech about great of a person Anakin was. And the 1% that comes through comes in the form of actually great writing are the surface level tendencies. Like instead of the bullshit where he was trying to seduce Padme by discussing the values of fascism, we instead get proper foreshadowing:

George may have tossed around a lot of ideas and changed the plot a lot of times but all the years of nerding out over BTS material never involved "we wanted to subvert expectations with Boba and that's why he died like a fucking chump."

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends when the Jedi shows up. If they save it to the end of the season I could see them going the ultimate fanservice and having Luke Skywalker show up. Then again. Who says a Jedi has to show up? Mando doesn't know Jedi from Sith follower. We could end up with some Dark Sider stealing Gorgu away

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those saying Cal Kestus- They'd have to age up the actor by multiple decades to match the time skip between Fallen Order and Mando right?

Nov 27, 2017
California
E z r a
Do it

Luke would be hype though, legit would break the internet given how everyone expected him to take on the new order himself in last Jedi

Boba would be shook though lol

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I do think we won't know who it is until the very last shot of the season, that's gonna be our big "holy shit" cliffhanger for season 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle Katarn actually makes so much sense. Not to mention he's also a mercenary so it would fit that Mando would run into him

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Its going to be Ezra given all the other TCW/Rebels connections. They're not going to fl Cal because Fallen Order 2 is a thing that's still happening and it's not going to be Luke because Mark Hamill is in his 60s. Mando is either building up a Rebels sequel spin-off or is becoming that Rebels sequel itself.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the guy that just randomly interrupts two of his co-workers/subbordinates just to tell them how much the body hunters suck loudly enough that they overhear him.
I've always loved that little exchange because his coworker (subordinate?) is so completely apathetic to his bullshit

dude here is like fuckin bounty hunters we dont need this shit amiright
and the other guy doesnt respond like "i know" or "i cant believe it either" anything at all sympathetic
zero interest at all, he's just like ...yes sir and immediately ignores him
everyone has had this moment with their boss
"sure whatever man just fuck off" energy

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
She seemed like that till she nearly died and was found by Boba Fett. If you don't believe she could turn on that cool but it's hardly a stretch.

We're only 5 years after Jedi and have no idea how long Vanth even had the Armor or what Boba has been up to since he crawled out of the Sarlac clearly fucked up. Like who cares? Dude wanted the Armor now and came to get it.
there also might be a little honor involved, as long as cobb was using the armor to protect the town he wasn't actively going to take the armor back but once mando took it to bring it back he wanted it back. or boba has a soft spot for the people of Tatooine which is why he didn't take it he clearly knew where it at since tatooine natives know of a town with a mando marshal

Nov 27, 2017
California
Kanan lives
Freddie Prinze Jr gets his live action Star Wars check

Seeing the slave 1 again was pretty cool, the lego 20th anniversary set was on clearance too on Black Friday but I can see the UCS model being reprinted next year

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Its going to be Ezra given all the other TCW/Rebels connections. They're not going to fl Cal because Fallen Order 2 is a thing that's still happening and it's not going to be Luke because Mark Hamill is in his 60s
To be fair that has not stopped Disney before. Here's Mark doing his damndest to try to sound like young Luke:

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
The same Lucas signed off on the Clone Wars version of Anakin Skywalker that borderline ignores 99% of the characterization from literally all the prequel films. And that includes him being a total badass and nowhere near as emotionally stunted. Because Anakin in the prequels and how bungled that was was not what he envisioned when he had Obi-wan give a speech about great of a person Anakin was. And the 1% that comes through comes in the form of actually great writing are the surface level tendencies. Like instead of the bullshit where he was trying to seduce Padme by discussing the values of fascism, we instead get proper foreshadowing:

like seriously clone wars anakin is legit one of my favorite star wars characters, hell clone wars itself makes Sith a much better movie

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is Boba's armor even beskar? I thought Jango's armor was durasteel.
Iirc I think that has been unconfirmed in canon limbo for a while, since the disney reset
A reference book might have slipped it in at some point since then, but obviously screen-canon takes precedence now anyway
It being beskar explains how the helmet apparently survived boba's bomb trap for windu in the clone wars
(mando's spear survived similar circumstances this episode too)

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
VAing is pretty different from live acting though, and Mark is an experienced VA at that too
But yeah, even still he sounds pretty different from his young self. It's actually funny how apparent it is
As I said long ago ITT, there is precedent for the creatives having actors who did voice roles only dub over other actors. They did it with Maul. And speaking of Boba they did it with Boba too lol.