• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't understand if the show wants us to take baby yoda eating frog lady's eggs seriously or not. We're clearly supposed to take her plight seriously but then Baby Yoda eating the eggs is also seemingly supposed to be funny, maybe?

i dont get it

I think this is why people have such a problem with it. Him eating the eggs is treated like a running gag but we know how important the eggs are. Star Wars isn't remotely afraid of dark humour, but the show didn't do a great job making it clear what the intended reaction was. Realistically frogs have that many eggs so a lot can die but the brood lives on, but that last chaser of him eating one more made it unclear if we were supposed to laugh or be uncomfortable.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The eggs joke was pretty tone deaf.

And I wasn't really happy with how the issue with the spiders was resolved. Mando kind of comes across as incompetent with how often he needs his ass bailed out by others.

Feb 19, 2018
The baby Yoda thing would have been a far more effective gag for me if he tried to eat one of the unfertilised eggs, Mando said no, he then tried to eat one in the hot spring, Mando said no, and THEN he went and ate one of those spiders.

As it is, I just think it wasn't remotely funny or cute, but unnecessarily dark. That might well have been the point though but I just couldn't look at those moments as they are and think, "Haha, what a little scamp!".
It's supposed to be dark. Quick reminder that the same kid almost force choked Cara Dune to death just because he mistook them arm wrestling as an attempt by her to harm Mando (similar to a dog misinterpreting harmless situations and biting people because it assumes they try to harm the owner).

The point is that constantly exposing a child to acts of violence will have a negative impact on their psychological development and behavior.

Sure, there is some humor in the egg eating scenes, but I mostly understood it to be rather black humor (and it's on point to how a badly trained dog and particularly a cat in general would behave). The child is acting on instinct, doesn't grasp or know the moral and ethic weight or consequences of the situation and just considers the eggs to be a delicious snack people try to keep him away from. Just think of much older children and cookie jars.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The eggs thing didn't really bother me in terms of "how terrible" but moreso in terms of how it kind of played havoc with the tone. The part where the frog mom tells off the Mando is serious, but all the egg stuff is definitely not. Maybe it just didn't get executed as well as it could have been.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
To because whacked out about the eggs- they are unfertilized eggs waiting to go to the father for fertilization (see how frogs reproduce).

A good analogy The equivilent of the literal breakfast we eat when we have our "sunny side up" plate of eggs. Granted, yes, this was advertised as moms last batch, ever.
Nope. A chicken is not equivalent to this frog-lady. So the analogy doesn't work. 'Mom's last batch' wouldn't be the last batch of a chicken, but of your mother.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 95% success rate predicting shit in this dumb show, so I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that something destroys all the eggs in the container when they're within reach of their destination, sad music, sad frog people - BUT WAIT - baby Yoda suddenly regurgitates all the eggs he's been "eating" no worse for wear. Happy frog people, happy ending.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It's supposed to be dark. Quick reminder that the same kid almost force choked Cara Dune to death just because he mistook them arm wrestling as an attempt by her to harm Mando (similar to a dog misinterpreting harmless situations and biting people because it assumes they try to harm the owner).

The point is that constantly exposing a child to acts of violence will have a negative impact on their psychological development and behavior.

Sure, there is some humor in the egg eating scenes, but I mostly understood it to be rather black humor (and it's on point to how a badly trained dog and particularly a cat in general would behave). The child is acting on instinct, doesn't grasp or know the moral and ethic weight or consequences of the situation and just considers the eggs to be a delicious snack people try to keep him away from. Just think of much older children and cookie jars.

Thanks for the response, I much prefer this kind of discussion over it than simply "It's fiction" or "I'm surprised people care that much".

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
I have a 95% success rate predicting shit in this dumb show, so I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that something destroys all the eggs in the container when they're within reach of their destination, sad music, sad frog people - BUT WAIT - baby Yoda suddenly regurgitates all the eggs he's been "eating" no worse for wear. Happy frog people, happy ending.

The eggs merged with the baby spider DNA

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
So that's how we get our Alien crossover.

Baby Yoda at the end of the season :
c9teeon.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope the Obi-Wan show actually has some substance. If The Mandalorian just wants to play with SW toys, then fine let them. But, you better not take an Obi-Wan series and turn it into someone themeless, plot centric show with little character exploration.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope the Obi-Wan show actually has some substance. If The Mandalorian just wants to play with SW toys, then fine let them. But, you better not take an Obi-Wan series and turn it into someone themeless, plot centric show with little character exploration.
Hope the writer behind King Arthur: Legend of the Sword can pull it off!

The Cassian Andor show has the best writing staff of all these SW disney+ projects so far. Leslye Headlund is also pretty talented but her project has not been revealed so far.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on this show about halfway through season 1 and tried again. Still as boring as ever. And here I thought the walking dead was a slog to watch. Not sure my love of star wars can keep me watching

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

And I wasn't really happy with how the issue with the spiders was resolved. Mando kind of comes across as incompetent with how often he needs his ass bailed out by others.

They show him being a bad ass taking on greater numbers all the time in the show, and it's literally what happens in the first couple mins of the show. I mean it would be awful if he just could take on every single challenge on his own without any type of help.

Oct 27, 2017

You're gonna have to get used to it out stop watching if it bothers you that much. That's the characterization they've chosen for the character. He's good but not perfect and sometimes stumbles through things.

Feb 24, 2018
Kindly, no.

People can engage with fiction to whatever degree they want to. If it bugged people, myself included, then it legit bugged them and please respect that.

"It's not even real" is a lame response.
Especially when the whole point of fiction is to get a reaction from people, that reaction varies due the intent of the work and what it wants to say, sometimes unintentional but it's still there. It's not even fiction, Documentaries do the same thing, it's one of the key points of storytelling and I get really annoyed when people dismiss that to try to stop ciritism they don't like.

Also just finished watch the second episode of the The Mandalorian Season 2 (watched the series for the first time over the past week), this is one I've liked the least;
That running joke about The Child eating the eggs of the woman who's finally is potentially doomed wasn't funny, just squick and happened way too many times. I don't get why I was supposed to find that funny.

Also something I haven't really gotten, why does no one care about the Mandalorians getting purged? I had this issue with Rebels and other Star Wars works that do that, why is it only the people from Alderaan in Star Wars are the only people who get any sympathy that they lost their planet or suffer mass genocide, everyone else seems like it's dismissed or people don't care like with the Geonosians. It ends up making the heroes and the Rebellion/New Republic/Resistance look cold-hearted and incompetent which I don't think is the intent most of the time. I guess Sabine's efforts for the Rebellion meant nothing to them.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's just a baby, guys. Yikes. Take it easy on him

I do happen to think it was pretty funny; obviously very dark humor, but it's not as if Baby Yoda was aware of what he was doing.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

This seems super likely with the writing level of the show

Oct 25, 2017
I told my wife the same thing haha

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Its baby yoda - of course it eats shit its not supposed to - that's what babies and kids do. Isn't that the point?

I don't get the outrage.

Feb 24, 2018
The simple fact is, if people didn't find it funny or disturbing or happened too many times, then it doesn't really matter trying to justify it to them because it doesn't change the fact some people didn't like it for whatever reason. Comedy is not objective or above criticism, especially dark comedy like what this episode tried. Even if that "they're's incubating them" is correct, that may be enough for some to feel the joke was worth it or still find the joke not funny, dragged out or disturbing.

I'm honestly really disappointed with this thread has tried to turn people not liking a dark joke or an episode as mockery worthy or so weird judgement of character or using "It's just fiction!". Not to mention that "Funko has gone to far thread" made to snipe and mocking people on this thread, you know the very behaviour the mods literally called out the Playstation and Xbox review and OT's for and called it unacceptable:

Recently there has been an increase in inter-community sniping and general meta commentary about the gaming forum. Complaints regarding it have continued to increase and the threads are both being made increasingly unpleasant by a minority of users who think it's acceptable to retreat to the safety of their community OT to gloat or antagonise other members/communities from afar. This is unwanted by the vast majority of our members and it needs to stop now. In the interests of community cohesion such posts will be moderated harshly from now on. This includes embedded tweets/images from "Fanboy Accounts" even as a joke. That content is not needed here. Any such platform warring, hostility, or trolling will be met with a ban. And it would be a shame if that ban made you miss the launch of the new platforms.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The simple fact is, if people didn't find it funny or disturbing or happened too many times, then it doesn't really matter trying to justify it to them because it doesn't change the fact some people didn't like it for whatever reason. Comedy is not objective or above criticism, especially dark comedy like what this episode tried. Even if that "they're's incubating them" is correct, that may be enough for some to feel the joke was worth it or still find the joke not funny, dragged out or disturbing.

I'm honestly really disappointed with this thread has tried to turn people not liking a dark joke or an episode as mockery worthy or so weird judgement of character or using "It's just fiction!". Not to mention that "Funko has gone to far thread" made to snipe and mocking people on this thread, you know the very behaviour the mods literally called out the Playstation and Xbox review and OT's for and called it unacceptable:

Sigh. Time to vent.

Baby Yoda is not a socially anxious, introvert, 20/30 something human being who posts regularly on an Internet forum and is a lifelong Democrat. Baby Yoda is a fictional character from a race we know little about, who is the equivalent of a baby, who is unable to speak, and who thusly operates on base emotions and states akin to "sleep, observe, and eat."

So why are people inserting their own moralities onto said character?

I see this happen all over the Internet, and it continuously annoys me. TV shows and TV characters do not, and should not, match 1-1 with your morality. They should do things which anger us or annoy us, especially if they're LITERALLY a baby with no thought control. Baby Yoda doesn't have the capability to create a fifty page thread on Era asking if it's okay to eat a frog lady's eggs. And, amusingly, that thusly makes him more intelligent than some of the absolute trash threads you grown adults come up with at weekends.

Not to mention how "it's not funny" is not a critique and is meaningless. This isn't a comedy, if a joke doesn't land it doesn't mean a damn thing. And if it's disturbing rather than funny, again it doesn't mean anything because the show is not a comedy.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017

Basically what I said to my fiance when we watched it

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I kind of like it how he often barely survives. Makes the whole universe feel very dangerous. And he has enough badass moments that he's not a joke like Boba Fett.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Literally said this to my partner as we were watching it.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm really surprised anyone is taking offence at the egg thing.

I found it funny, and I don't even eat chicken eggs because I think that's wrong.
He's just a baby, he has no comprehension that these eggs are potential life and very important, he just wants to put things in his mouth.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sigh. Time to vent.

Baby Yoda is not a socially anxious, introvert, 20/30 something human being who posts regularly on an Internet forum and is a lifelong Democrat. Baby Yoda is a fictional character from a race we know little about, who is the equivalent of a baby, who is unable to speak, and who thusly operates on base emotions and states akin to "sleep, observe, and eat."

So why are people inserting their own moralities onto said character?

I see this happen all over the Internet, and it continuously annoys me. TV shows and TV characters do not, and should not, match 1-1 with your morality. They should do things which anger us or annoy us, especially if they're LITERALLY a baby with no thought control. Baby Yoda doesn't have the capability to create a fifty page thread on Era asking if it's okay to eat a frog lady's eggs. And, amusingly, that thusly makes him more intelligent than some of the absolute trash threads you grown adults come up with at weekends.

I really don't know what much of what you posted here has to do with the wider response to Baby Yoda continually eating the unfertilised eggs, but I do hope you feel better after venting.

Also, I'm certainly not putting my own morality on this fictional character but I am absolutely within my right to not like it and to feel disturbed by it. And I'm clearly not alone because outside of this thread, as you point out, this week's episode caused some debate on those who were cool with it, and those who weren't. It's not just comments either, folks wrote pieces about it.

Not to mention how "it's not funny" is not a critique and is meaningless. This isn't a comedy, if a joke doesn't land it doesn't mean a damn thing. And if it's disturbing rather than funny, again it doesn't mean anything because the show is not a comedy.

Weird, because a lot of folks in here are defending it as exactly that - comedy. There are a number of posts just literally responding to people saying things to the effect of "It's called dark comedy" or "I found it hilarious".

Oct 27, 2017
That... is literally a critique? If a joke doesn't land it doesn't land, and people can criticize it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
That... is literally a critique? If a joke doesn't land it doesn't land, and people can criticize it.

There's also no way the show isn't intentionally trying to be comedic. Yeah, it doesn't have a laugh track and it wasn't filmed in front of a live studio audience, but saying "This isn't a comedy" is utterly moot because amidst everything else, the show obviously wants to make you laugh from time to time too.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Peyton Reed directing this chapter makes it obvious that it was supposed to be "funny" in tone when the child went fuck dem kids.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020

That would be the silliest shit ever and I'm here for it