• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
This is very generously put.

The actual plot progress on the mentioned bigger story took up maybe two to three minutes of the season so far. No progress on the villains either. No sight of Giancarlo Esposito. Nothing of the kind.

There also hasn't been any kind of significant character progress for our two main characters either. Both Mando and Baby Yoda are the same characters after these two episodes that they were at the end of last season.

Given we are already 25% into this story, that is very disappointing to say the least.
You should get used to the bolded. If you are expecting the overarching narrative to be the focus you're going to be highly disappointed.

There might be an episode or two focusing on it (maybe one mid-season and one at the end) but everything else is going to be a largely self-contained story, exactly as it was within the first season. This show is clearly not aiming to have a long-running continuously developed narrative, and if you keep expecting that you're going to get continuously disappointed.

If you're watching the show, unless you want to be disappointed every week you should watch it as you would CSI, the A-Team, or one of the many non-serialised productions which this show's structure mimics.

Unless the show takes a vastly different approach later in its life, the overarching narrative is always just going to be a line on which they can hang independent stories loosely strung together.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I dont mind procedural shows, but the short lengths of each episode doesnt give much room for a story isolated to one episode.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see the Clone Wars series but the CGI puts me off so much, people say the story gets really good later on so maybe I'll give it a chance anyway. There was a cartoon they used to show on Cartoon Network (With cool 2D animation) that I thought was the clone wars but apparently that's something else with the same name, right?

Also, just bought KOTOR which I've never played before, I'm getting into Star Wars so late lol

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see the Clone Wars series but the CGI puts me off so much, people say the story gets really good later on so maybe I'll give it a chance anyway. There was a cartoon they used to show on Cartoon Network (With cool 2D animation) that I thought was the clone wars but apparently that's something else with the same name, right?

Also, just bought KOTOR which I've never played before, I'm getting into Star Wars so late lol
Yes, prior to the CGI series there was a 2D animated show called Star Wars: Clone Wars that is not considered canon.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, prior to the CGI series there was a 2D animated show called Star Wars: Clone Wars that is not considered canon.

Got it, thanks. I've found a guide on reddit that shows which episodes are important to watch from The Clone Wars and which ones can be skipped.

Edit: I'll use this just to get till season 3 and then from there just watch the whole thing: https://clashingsabers.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/suvamuy.jpg?w=1000
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
that last ep was prob the best 40 or so minutes of Star Wars content I've seen since the original trilogy. this show's not playing around

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Got it, thanks. I've found a guide on reddit that shows which episodes are important to watch from The Clone Wars and which ones can be skipped.

Edit: I'll use this just to get till season 3 and then from there just watch the whole thing: https://clashingsabers.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/suvamuy.jpg?w=1000
What do you guys think?

"Getting to season 3" doesn't really make sense, as the episodes aren't shown in chronological order:

www.starwars.com

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Chronological Episode Order | StarWars.com

Lucasfilm presents the official sequential order for the beloved animated series, including all 121 shows and the original feature film.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
"Getting to season 3" doesn't really make sense, as the episodes aren't shown in chronological order:

www.starwars.com

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Chronological Episode Order | StarWars.com

Lucasfilm presents the official sequential order for the beloved animated series, including all 121 shows and the original feature film.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore since it's for the Mando, but I'm so much more confused now lol, I think I'd prefer to see how the the series evolved through the years instead of jumping back and forth, I'll look this up. Thank you!

Edit: Just realized I asked the same thing here last year with Season 1 but never got around to watch it, I have more time now so I have faith. And you are right, chronological order seems to be the preferred way to go.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't know....I'm not a fan of baby Yoda eating all those damn eggs. Lost its comic appeal after the first one. Then it just became dark

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just tired of the lack of depth or themes in any of these episodes. I've been beating this same drum, but even Clone Wars understood this.

Just a random example, you've got the episode where Ahsoka loses her lightsaber and has to find it. That's the central plot, but that's not what the episode is about. It's essentially a tale about the tortoise and the hare. Ahsoka wants to immediately do everything and anything she can to find her saber, meanwhile the Jedi Master helping her is old and slow as a tortoise. In the end, she learns how to quell her impulsive nature (something that Anakin is routinely rubbing off on her) and to see the forest for the trees. By slowing down and observing all the details, she's able to get her lightsaber back and uncover a plot.

In the end, it even helps cover up Obi-Wan's awful line about how "this weapon is your LIFE." Instead, Ahsoka adds "this weapon is your life, but it is also your responsibility." The strength of an episodic series is the ability to heavily tie each episode around a central theme or lesson. Yet, Mando is purely plot focused. This last episode was just about escaping a spider's nest, that's it. When it could have focused on the power of a good deed and karma. In the end, Mando and everyone were saved because Mando previously tried to save the life of a Republic guard. That should have been the focus of the episode just like how respecting culture should have been the focus of the last episode.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why those two x wing pilots let Din go?

Like they said, they only ever wanted to talk to him. It's true that he did take part in the heist, but they have evidence showing he turned on the others when they tried to kill the guy on the ship and even captured several of them.

It seems as far as the New Republic is concerned, he's not actually wanted. Din admittedly got a little cheeky when he suggested he gives up the bounties (which obviously would have been forfeited already) in return for help fixing his ship.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Baby Yoda eating the eggs reminds me of Yoda eating Luke's food when he first meets him in ESB but much darker lol

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I mean, even if they were unfertilized they were still the last eggs the frog lady would be able to produce in her lifetime. That's pretty fucked up ngl

Yeah but she was not the last of her species right?
Now that would be fucked up.

Truly a demon to some, an angel to others
Darkside+baby+yoda_65be81_7990984.jpg

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It took us two nights to finish that episode. We were just bored. I don't know I'm just gonna wait until there is some kind of story to discuss before weighing in from now on. I get the same feeling I had watching the last season of X-Files. Yoda eating the eggs was whatever, with me it's still the dialogue that makes me wince. I hope to god the Marvel shows are smarter than this. The episode was zany though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting to this now that the election is over and man that first episode was fantastic. I really liked S1 but that first ep was a massive improvement, especially that whole sequence at the end. Also that aspect ratio change was great.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I mean the eggs are unfertilized, so it's no different than eating a chicken egg. So, not really that dark.

If a talking chicken was walking around with her eggs telling you these were the last eggs she could reproduce to keep her family line going and taking them to her husband, then that's fucked up your adopted kid was eating them, lol.

Frog lady wasn't carrying around eggs from the market for a nice dinner, heh.

I get they were going for some mischievous humor (I think). But that the beauty of art, it's taken different ways by different people.

I thought it was dark, heh.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched S2 E2, and this was BY FAR the best episode yet. The conflicts so far are so much more intriguing than season one. There were many episodes in the first season where I just wasn't really drawn in to what was happening on the screen. It just wasn't interesting.

And it's obvious that the CGI budget has received a massive and much needed boost over season 1.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it been awesome if the frog lady was a caretaker tho? The facial expressions would be off the charts.

Oct 29, 2017
not sure if this was covered in the thread already but i'm really glad we finally got to see the spider from mcquarrie's concept art on screen. really cool design.
Screen-Shot-2020-11-06-at-10.06.10-AM.png

i don't think this episode was as fun as the first, but still really solid

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Having just rewatched S2E2 again, it is very clear to me that this is tied for my favorite episode alongside S1E4 (The Sanctuary). Really great stuff.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remember the last time a sci-fi character had an insatiable hunger?

hUGCw1m.jpg

Maybe Baby Yoda is just stage 1 of a horrible monster

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First episode done. Like s1, the show already exhibits promise. It's ridiculous how much I enjoy this series over the movies.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I have finally come to accept that the show is dull and vapid and the characters are uninteresting and the music isn't helping to sell it to me. Love the way it looks, too bad about the rest.
I just can't take it seriously. I close my eyes and somehow Princess Carolyn found her way onto a Star Wars set
Sedaris just feels so tonally and rhythmically off. She's like a Holiday Special sketch character.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I liked this episode. Nice little self contained adventure, that opening and chase scene made the whole thing. I don't expect much from this show but for what it is, it does very well.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Is it just me or did the dimensions of the X-Wings look off? They just didn't look right.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
If a talking chicken was walking around with her eggs telling you these were the last eggs she could reproduce to keep her family line going and taking them to her husband, then that's fucked up your adopted kid was eating them, lol.

Frog lady wasn't carrying around eggs from the market for a nice dinner, heh.

I get they were going for some mischievous humor (I think). But that the beauty of art, it's taken different ways by different people.

I thought it was dark, heh.
Everytime he would eat an egg my partner and I cringed in sadness. And when they showed him with one last one at the end we did not find it "cure" it was more like "The Child is a sociopath."

They saw how the woman held them to her as Mando would hold them to himself. He knew the context, and didn't care.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not a fan of Baby Yoda eating those eggs. I guess he is already on the dark side, as every baby anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
She's not really a character in Episode I, you only see her for a split second.

I've actually watched Episode I a bunch of times and have never actually seen her. I know she's in one of the meetings but not sure which one.

Really? I always thought that she was pretty easy to spot.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm not bothered by anything that happened in the episode, but the way some people are hand-waiving the egg thing like there's not a single problem with it is kind of weird to me. It doesn't matter that they weren't fertilized. No, it's not the same as chicken eggs. Her species is human-like, you don't eat the eggs of an intelligent species like that.

When Mando first caught the child getting inside the incubator and stopped him, that should have been the end of it and it would have gotten the same point across. Yes, he's a baby and wants to eat everything, we get it. But then to have him eat, what was it, three of her eggs over the course of the episode at least? Feels like they were kind of indulging in the dark angle of it all.

I doubt the theories of her eggs getting destroyed and the child regurgitating the eggs to save her family will pan out to be true, but I kind of hope that it does.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I have a lot of issues with this show right now. The effects are insane, but I feel like the actual plot is wafer thin and is just a vehicle to sell Star Wars stuff. Maybe episode 3 will get back to the highs of season 1.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The baby Yoda thing would have been a far more effective gag for me if he tried to eat one of the unfertilised eggs, Mando said no, he then tried to eat one in the hot spring, Mando said no, and THEN he went and ate one of those spiders.

As it is, I just think it wasn't remotely funny or cute, but unnecessarily dark. That might well have been the point though but I just couldn't look at those moments as they are and think, "Haha, what a little scamp!".