• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 9 was cool I enjoyed a lot but I gotta say it's funny how Mando did all this shit for those people and achieved nothing on his "main quest" lmao at least he didn't got out empty handed

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
You definitely miss an entire tier of understanding if you are watching this show without having seen Rebels. It would be a little like watching the Prequels without seeing the OT.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Mandalorian is infinitely much better than the new trilogy.

Change-My-Mind.jpg
If we're talking about the new trilogy as a whole then oh yeah its not even close

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You definitely miss an entire tier of understanding if you are watching this show without having seen Rebels. It would be a little like watching the Prequels without seeing the OT.

Huh? What in Rebels (so far) has been vital for this show outside of last season's finale? (And even then, questionable)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So is R-5 the same droid (the one with the bad motivator) that Luke's uncle tried to buy in A New Hope?

His name is Skippy and he's a Jedi.

Chapter 9 was cool I enjoyed a lot but I gotta say it's funny how Mando did all this shit for those people and achieved nothing on his "main quest" lmao at least he didn't got out empty handed

I'm assuming Boba's armour will be important later on. Maybe there's data or clues hidden in it that'll lead him somewhere else.

Plus, obviously, now he has Fett's attention.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? What in Rebels (so far) has been vital for this show outside of last season's finale? (And even then, questionable)

A big chunk of Mandalore backstory, structure and history. I didn't say it was vital or mandatory, but it adds a layer of understanding. I was being glib with the reference to the OT/Prequels.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
A big chunk of Mandalore backstory, structure and history. I didn't say it was vital or mandatory, but it adds a layer of understanding. I was being glib with the reference to the OT/Prequels.

Ah yeah, true. I'd throw Clone Wars in there as well then.

I didn't realize Cobb was a big character in Aftermath. Aftermath fans are getting some serious representation with this and ROTS.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Mandalorian is comfort food SWs. Nothing truly great, just simple stuff that harkens back to a more pure old school Lucas-esque SWs when it was just riffing off other genres and tales before it turned into some meta incestuous story about itself.

I don't even disagree with most of the criticisms about the show, but really it's just great to have something so chill. I don't have to wish I could delete me brain after hearing Sheev has returned or Rey SkyPatine.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yeah, true. I'd throw Clone Wars in there as well then.

I didn't realize Cobb was a big character in Aftermath. Aftermath fans are getting some serious representation with this and ROTS.

That's a shame for me. Aftermath was the only SW media I never finished. I really, really didn't like the way Chuck Wendig wrote it.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, The Clone Wars and Rebels provide a lot of background regarding how Mandalore likely ended up the way it did by the time The Mandalorian began.

The civil war that saw Mandalore move past its warrior race past, Satine becoming its ruler and eventually the leader of all the systems in the galaxy that chose to remain neutral during the Clone Wars, the coup of Mandalore that Maul and Deathwatch successfully pulled off, the Republic occupation of Mandalore to depose Maul right as it became the Empire, the years Mandalore spent serving the Empire and providing it with elite warriors and weapons, Sabine helping Bo Katan overthrow the Imperials and take back Mandalore, which then declared itself an enemy of the Empire...

There's a lot those shows explore, which in turn explains why the Empire razed Mandalore and scattered its people to the wind. I guess even though the Empire fell, the Mandalorians are still hunted for their tools and their knowledge and they are too few and too spread out to really recover.

It's no surprise to me that Moff Gideon had the Darksaber. That's literally the one thing someone like Sabine Wren could use to reunite the Mandalorians and I'm sure that's why it's even there. As cool as it'll be to see Ahsoka, I think it's Sabine that will be the more important character to appear.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's no surprise to me that Moff Gideon had the Darksaber. That's literally the one thing someone like Sabine Wren could use to reunite the Mandalorians and I'm sure that's why it's even there. As cool as it'll be to see Ahsoka, I think it's Sabine that will be the more important character to appear.

Are we getting Sabine? I haven't been following the show's production.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Just trying to guess what's Fett's angle for this season. Best guess, mando is searching for jedi, Fett hates Jedi and I assume would really want to kill the man responsible for the whole reason he ended up almost dead, Luke. So they would be searching for the same thing.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
People who bash the show for not having a ton of depth or character development (for our Mando) must've forgotten or ignore the fact that the show is HEAVILY influenced, or just IS - a spaghetti western. The fact that this dude has a name is depth for that genre :P

Star Wars delving into other genres of storytelling is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered, IMO.

I'm loving it. Can't wait for more.
Yup. My favorite movie of all time "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Eastwood wears the exact stoic expression for nearly 3 hours. This is a Western, and unapologetically so

Read my previous posts to see how depth is common in Westerns.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Mandalorian is infinitely much better than the new trilogy.

Change-My-Mind.jpg
This statement is hard to agree with considering the quality of TLJ, combined with the decent foundation-laying of TFA.

So far The Mandalorian hasn't contributed anything truly substantial to the Star Wars universe. I'm talking about characters and themes that are meaningful to the broader saga. At best, the show is a buffet for fans who love world building through side stories.

I myself really like stories that take place at the margins of the mainline series, so The Mandalorian is right up my alley. But Season 1 is half baked. The storytelling is scattershot, the quality of the subplots and direction vary widely between episodes, and none of the characters have any real dimension.

The Mandalorian's post-RotJ setting is super interesting, but seriously underutilized. Do I want to see the fallout of the Empire crumbling without its leader? Do I want to see how different people from different factions are coping with the instability rippling through galactic society? Hell yes I do! But so far, the show hasn't been interested in seriously exploring that beyond cursory references. It hasn't hitched Mando's activities to a cohesive movement toward any big-picture goal or event, besides the vague idea of taking Baby Yoda to safety. If this show wants to be a small-scale character-driven story, I'm all for it. But if that's the case, the characters have to be more than their outfit or their species. They need depth. They need to resonate with the themes that shape the past and future of Star Wars.

Sure, Mando has an arc where he goes from a ruthless mercenary to a guardian and freelance do-gooder, but where's the emotional core and the compelling conflict? Why should we care about this guy and his change of heart, besides the fact that he's cool and he has a cute lil' companion that we like?

If he's so attached to Baby Yoda that he's willing to be a fugitive and make loads of enemies just to protect the kid, why does the show send mixed signals with Mando's negligence? He lets every random stranger see Baby Yoda, he constantly leaves him alone or in the care of random people, and he drifts from place to place getting himself tangled in the troubles of others.

Season 2 looks like it will at least try to address some of the first season's shortcomings in terms of engaging with the interesting setting and time frame, establishing the story's relevance to the greater Star Wars saga, and properly developing the characters. But so far, no, The Mandalorian is well behind Episodes 7 and 8 for now. It's an entertaining and occasionally very cool and Star Warsey show that just doesn't have as much meat on its bones as a full film, despite having many more hours to build a richer story.

Last edited:

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Just trying to guess what's Fett's angle for this season. Best guess, mando is searching for jedi, Fett hates Jedi and I assume would really want to kill the man responsible for the whole reason he ended up almost dead, Luke. So they would be searching for the same thing.
He's definitely gonna try and get his armor back first thing. My hope is that they'll have Fett doing a reconnecting plot, and becoming a Mandalorian.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Ya'll should read this wiki page for the canon story of R5-D4

starwars.fandom.com

The Red One

"The Red One" is a short story in the anthology From a Certain Point of View. The story, written by Rae Carson, focuses on the droid R5-D4. The R5 unit R5-D4 has spent four years as a "prisoner" of a Jawa clan, who travel through the deserts of Tatooine on a sandcrawler. R5-D4 wishes to escape...

Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing working against Mando in this comparison is that while the leads in spaghetti westerns were pretty thinly written, guys like Eastwood and Van Cleef and Nero could exude a lot of charisma and badassery with just a look. Mando has a helmet working against him in that regard; the armor has to carry the charisma more than the man underneath it.

I disagree there the movement of Mando is crafted very deliberately. He doesn't shuffle or half step, and nearly every scene he isn't moving moving around in relation to everyone else. Even the head movements and turns are all very slow or deliberate to give that message he is a big deal. The only time Mando moves fast is in combat like the opening of S2. The way he's framed and how he carries himself is to show the audience he is the gunslinger.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just pre-ordered the artbook from the guy that did the credits artwork. I'm so excited. I want posters too tho.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
huh?

that was just dialogue for people to realize how big the dragon is.

Cobb is not asking if the bones represent the dragon, he aks if the size is to scale.

Whatever it's still a dumb question. He knows how big it is. It's not just that either. Stupid dialogue is has always been peppered throughout this show.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He doesn't, he's only seen the head and part of the neck.

Omg lol a person can extrapolate how big something is especially if it is well known and pestering your town for a long period of time. Worse than that if it is notorious if anything your imagination would make it even larger. I think it was stupid dialogue but just one example. I love the action set pieces but the script is dogshit.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Omg lol a person can extrapolate how big something is especially if it is well known and pestering your town for a long period of time. Worse than that if it is notorious if anything your imagination would make it even larger. I think it was stupid dialogue but just one example. I love the action set pieces but the script is dogshit.
It made sense to me? You have a settler who's only seen the the head and neck of an underground creature when it comes out to attack vs the people who've had 1000s of years of experience with krayt dragons, of course they'd know the size of it better.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You have a settler who's only seen the the head and neck of an underground creature when it comes out to attack vs the people who've had 1000s of years of experience with krayt dragons, of course they'd know the size of it better.

My problem isn't with the sand people knowing it's size. I don't think you understood my posts. It's the dialogue. A better thing for Olyphant to say in that moment would have been "It's than big?" That would have indicated that he was unclear on it's size. Him saying "what are the bones" when it's obvious what they represented was just dumb and made him look like an idiot.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
My problem isn't with the sand people knowing it's size. I don't think you understood my posts. It's the dialogue. A better thing for Olyphant to say in that moment would have been "It's than big?" That would have indicated that he was unclear on it's size. Him saying "what are the bones" when it's obvious what they represented was just dumb and made him look like an idiot.
Oh yeah I see, they definitely should've had him say something like "is this to scale?"

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that Star Wars was a series known for its deep, snappy dialogue, and well-fleshed out, original, non-archetype characters before Mandalorian.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I'm not even disagreeing a lot with you there, and would argue it's a matter of taste. Like, I enjoy the John Wick movies, but I know what they are and what they not are. Keanu gives a servicable performance, the worldbuilding is great, and the story is minimal and more plot-heavy. Is it fun? Yeah, I think so, it's well made for what it is. Is in the same tier as something like Fury Road? Nah probably not.
Could it be better? Yeah, for sure. Mando was at its most interesting towards the end and during its more intimate moments, but for now it's just kinda innocent fun to see a guy in badass armour do some shit in the SW universe like hunting down a dragon.
That's how I see it. I would however be very disappointed if the Kenobi show followed the same pattern.

I would be fine with a innocent fun series where we follow a badass character doing cool shit. I'm a huge fan of the Man With No Name films Mando takes a lot of queues from for instance. But if you go for this style, you need compelling stories, which imo the first season rarely provided (and when they did, they often had cringeworthy moments due to below par performances or wonky effects).

The reason I liked the first episode of S2 was because it offered exactly that. I still think hiding your main character behind a mask and giving him a monotone tone of voice really hurts the ability to care, but couple him with a good side character (which S1 lacked imo) and you go a long way to fix that somewhat.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I like how Timothy Olyphant didn't wear the helmet for 90% of the episode because he is Timothy Olyphant and the audience needs to see he is Timothy Olyphant.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of you seem to be under the impression that Star Wars was a series known for its deep, snappy dialogue, and well-fleshed out, original, non-archetype characters before Mandalorian.

Nobody claims that. But the OT and ST do way more compelling things with archetype heroes (and TLJ at least tries to bring more to it by questioning some archetypes and focussing on thematic storytelling). Nobody expects Mando to have The Wire or Breaking Bad level of storytelling, but truth is it doesn't even reach the quality of the OT or ST in it's writing.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I agree but there is nothing wrong with wanting to elevate something especially when the bar for TV is so high these days. I enjoy the show but I want to love it and the bad dialogue really shows in a long format like TV. In a movie everything is moving so fast but in a TV show there are more valleys than peaks and dialogue being good is very important and keeps you immersed. I feel like when I watch this show I'm just waiting for the action and groaning when anyone talks. The Mandalorian is written ok but almost everyone else has been really bad imo.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Wait! You mean a young man goes on a supernatural adventure, becomes a hero and is victorious against overwhelming odds and then is forever changed is not an original concept?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know, but there are rumours both Sabine and Bo Katan are in this season. I'm hoping they're true because Mandalore being rebuilt would be a fantastic storyline but, at the same time, I kinda don't want The Mandalorian bogged down by something as grand as that.

I like how Timothy Olyphant didn't wear the helmet for 90% of the episode because he is Timothy Olyphant and the audience needs to see he is Timothy Olyphant.

You don't hire a face like that and hide it! 😅

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't know, but there are rumours both Sabine and Bo Katan are in this season. I'm hoping they're true because Mandalore being rebuilt would be a fantastic storyline but, at the same time, I kinda don't want The Mandalorian bogged down by something as grand as that.

You don't hire a face like that and hide it! 😅

I know, I just found it funny - dude has arguably the coolest armour of the entire franchise and he cba to wear the mask haha

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Sabine is just heavily rumored, especially with Ahsoka considering Rebels' ending.
However she was probably one of the lower tiers of rumored characters.
___
Ahsoka
Boba
___
Vanth
Bo-Katan
____
Sabine
Rex

For whatever reason I don't really recall seeing any Sabine rumors. Timeline-wise it'd make sense for her and Ashoka to be together but it's also sort of weird since they'd essentially have to place an episode of Mando into the timeline of a Rebels sequel series that may or may not exist.

Unless Mando showing Ashoka Baby Yoda actually happens before the final scene of Rebels...

I comparatively figured Bo-Katan is a shoo-in, unless that report of Katie Sackhoff being cast wasn't true.

I'm curious about how Fett plays into all this too. I guess he could stalk down Mando over the series and either help him out or combat him from the sidelines. There's a lot we don't know, since he also saved the bounty hunter last season and (to me) seemed to have taken up an entirely Tusken weapon set. He's had plenty of time to escape Tatoinne if he wanted to.

From a storytelling standpoint, it feels more economical if Fett and Mando actually met this episode, since it looks like the next one takes place on another planet entirely (so either Fett has to suddenly decide to leave Tatoinne or we have to go back there). Part of me wonders if we're not actually going to see more of him until S3.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody claims that. But the OT and ST do way more compelling things with archetype heroes (and TLJ at least tries to bring more to it by questioning some archetypes and focussing on thematic storytelling). Nobody expects Mando to have The Wire or Breaking Bad level of storytelling, but truth is it doesn't even reach the quality of the OT or ST in it's writing.
Fair enough. I just, personally, don't see it as noticeably worse.

I agree but there is nothing wrong with wanting to elevate something especially when the bar for TV is so high these days. I enjoy the show but I want to love it and the bad dialogue really shows in a long format like TV. In a movie everything is moving so fast but in a TV show there are more valleys than peaks and dialogue being good is very important and keeps you immersed. I feel like when I watch this show I'm just waiting for the action and groaning when anyone talks. The Mandalorian is written ok but almost everyone else has been really bad imo.
I'm not saying it shouldn't have better writing, just that I don't see it as worse than any other SW stuff outside of Clone Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
It was already obvious, but for anyone still trying to play devil's advocate claiming that it might not be Boba Fett:

Artist Brian Matyas posted his concept work on instagram for this shot, and among his included hashtags is #bobafett
csyiAEOl.jpg

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I'm seeing a different angle. Both of them carrying the heritage of the Mandalorian without ever really being a part of it. Mando as an orphan raised by them, but never really belonging. And Boba, a clone of a man born to Mandalore but never a part of it. But both their identities are so tied up with the Mandalorian armor they wear. Now with their culture and history destroyed by the empire, they need to figure out who they really are.

My guess is they ultimately decide to reclaim the Darksaber (used by the first Mandalorian as a symbol of ruling) from Moff Gideon and use it to unite the scattered remnants of their people.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I would be fine with a innocent fun series where we follow a badass character doing cool shit. I'm a huge fan of the Man With No Name films Mando takes a lot of queues from for instance. But if you go for this style, you need compelling stories, which imo the first season rarely provided (and when they did, they often had cringeworthy moments due to below par performances or wonky effects).

The reason I liked the first episode of S2 was because it offered exactly that. I still think hiding your main character behind a mask and giving him a monotone tone of voice really hurts the ability to care, but couple him with a good side character (which S1 lacked imo) and you go a long way to fix that somewhat.
Oh I thought you didn't like the latest episode, sorry.

I'd however argue that Mando is only stylistically aligned with the Man With No Name trilogy. Those old Westerns were a lot more deliberate with their storytelling and subtler in their characterisation than Mando is, which is why I brought up the John Wick example, as I find Mando to be more similar to that type of movie (or even Dredd). I would however agree that most of Mandos adventures in S1 were somewhat underdeveloped - hunting a fucking dragon is lit af, something like "The Gunslinger" however kind of took the momentum out of the season.

I guess they're just kinda trying to play it safe. S1 didn't have much direction and didn't quite know what to do with its characters, which I didn't quite mind, but it's something that would get stale for this season.

And I expect Kenobi to be more like an actual Western actually.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
So these directors are left to direct this season: Filoni, Robert Rodriquez, Peyton Reed, Bryce Dallas Howard and Carl Weathers..

Wonder who is directing the next one.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

These have been there for a long time....but it took a while before people found out their size ;)

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F07%2Feaster-island-heads-bodies-1200x675.jpg

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I'm seeing a different angle. Both of them carrying the heritage of the Mandalorian without ever really being a part of it. Mando as an orphan raised by them, but never really belonging. And Boba, a clone of a man born to Mandalore but never a part of it. But both their identities are so tied up with the Mandalorian armor they wear. Now with their culture and history destroyed by the empire, they need to figure out who they really are.

My guess is they ultimately decide to reclaim the Darksaber (used by the first Mandalorian as a symbol of ruling) from Moff Gideon and use it to unite the scattered remnants of their people.
This is what I'm hoping for! I wanna see how they develop them as members of two different diasporas: Din as being more in line with the Mandalorians even though he was adopted and Boba as having a heritage claim to being Mandalorian but not identifying with them maybe? Like having Din talk about the code and teachings that he was taught in his enclave vs what Jango taught Boba before he was killed. Maybe Boba would even reject them?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I thought you didn't like the latest episode, sorry.

I'd however argue that Mando is only stylistically aligned with the Man With No Name trilogy. Those old Westerns were a lot more deliberate with their storytelling and subtler in their characterisation than Mando is, which is why I brought up the John Wick example, as I find Mando to be more similar to that type of movie (or even Dredd). I would however agree that most of Mandos adventures in S1 were somewhat underdeveloped - hunting a fucking dragon is lit af, something like "The Gunslinger" however kind of took the momentum out of the season.

I guess they're just kinda trying to play it safe. S1 didn't have much direction and didn't quite know what to do with its characters, which I didn't quite mind, but it's something that would get stale for this season.

And I expect Kenobi to be more like an actual Western actually.

Well, I brought up the Man With No Name exactly because it seems Mando takes it as an inspiration, but lacks what makes those films good. (While still being bad-ass character doing bad-ass things)

John Wick is fun, but there the balls-to-the-walls action makes good for the flat characters. I don't feel Mando as a whole has find this kind of balance already, but the last episode gave me some hope.

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This statement is hard to agree with considering the quality of TLJ, combined with the decent foundation-laying of TFA.

So far The Mandalorian hasn't contributed anything truly substantial to the Star Wars universe. I'm talking about characters and themes that are meaningful to the broader saga. At best, the show is a buffet for fans who love world building through side stories.

I myself really like stories that take place at the margins of the mainline series, so The Mandalorian is right up my alley. But Season 1 is half baked. The storytelling is scattershot, the quality of the subplots and direction vary widely between episodes, and none of the characters have any real dimension.

The Mandalorian's post-RotJ setting is super interesting, but seriously underutilized. Do I want to see the fallout of the Empire crumbling without its leader? Do I want to see how different people from different factions are coping with the instability rippling through galactic society? Hell yes I do! But so far, the show hasn't been interested in seriously exploring that beyond cursory references. It hasn't hitched Mando's activities to a cohesive movement toward any big-picture goal or event, besides the vague idea of taking Baby Yoda to safety. If this show wants to be a small-scale character-driven story, I'm all for it. But if that's the case, the characters have to be more than their outfit or their species. They need depth. They need to resonate with the themes that shape the past and future of Star Wars.

Sure, Mando has an arc where he goes from a ruthless mercenary to a guardian and freelance do-gooder, but where's the emotional core and the compelling conflict? Why should we care about this guy and his change of heart, besides the fact that he's cool and he has a cute lil' companion that we like?

If he's so attached to Baby Yoda that he's willing to be a fugitive and make loads of enemies just to protect the kid, why does the show send mixed signals with Mando's negligence? He lets every random stranger see Baby Yoda, he constantly leaves him alone or in the care of random people, and he drifts from place to place getting himself tangled in the troubles of others.

Season 2 looks like it will at least try to address some of the first season's shortcomings in terms of engaging with the interesting setting and time frame, establishing the story's relevance to the greater Star Wars saga, and properly developing the characters. But so far, no, The Mandalorian is well behind Episodes 7 and 8 for now. It's an entertaining and occasionally very cool and Star Warsey show that just doesn't have as much meat on its bones as a full film, despite having many more hours to build a richer story.

I binge watched the first season last week mainly because I wanted to use my new TV. While I thought it was perfectly fine I agree with this entire post. TLJ seemed to be the only piece of new Star Wars material with anything to say.