• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
3jB81Xg.jpg

The Mandalorian, episode 9 (2020).

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
What I really appreciated about the episode was the extra runtime. At nearly an hour long, it gave it time to breathe, unlike, say, the AT-ST episode from the first season.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
What I really appreciated about the episode was the extra runtime. At nearly an hour long, it gave it time to breathe, unlike, say, the AT-ST episode from the first season.
Do we now if this is going to be the case for all eps? This one felt like an actual western with how slow it was at times. Loved it.
Half an hour is just too little time.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I am too dumb to follow the plot
so he got the job from the mandalorial lady to bring baby yoda to his folks, alright, but why? whatever.

so he goes to alien mob guy to find other mandalorians?? why other mandalorians?? why would they know where baby yoda is from? why doesn't mandalorian lady already know? why is he looking for ANY mandalorian and not a spezific one who might know?

ok he goes to tattoiine because a random mandalorian might be there.
he finds a dude in a mandalorian suit and suddenly it's not about some mandalorians knowing about baby yoda folks anymore but about getting the armor back because why? pride? honor? beskar? and it's so important to get mandalorian armor back to kill dragons for it?

boba fett isn't even a mandalorian but my guess is he will actually have a lead to find the yoda folks, which would make the plot even more pointless

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mandalorian Armor is for Mandalorian Warriors who have earned the right to wear it. Its a huge insult to Mandalorian Culture to have some rando running around in it.

As for why he is seeking Mandalorian he seems to think they are the link to finding the Jedi. He hopes to follow the path of Mandalorian he meets until he finds someone who knows Jedi. I don't think the quest is so much to bring him back to his own race as it is bring him back to his "people" which are those sorcerers spoken of. Its a little odd as I would think by this time Luke Skywalker would be pretty famous.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
In a lesser show, the mandalorian whould have given the armor to the sheriff in the end.

It's funny how you can recognize an actor from the pose alone. Olyphant delivered his usual greatness in this.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was interesting since they changed Cobb's backstory a bit:

I wonder if that change will play a role later in the season with the character. I have no knowledge of Cobb before the show, but even then his flashback did seem a little odd to me like it was all very fortunate and smooth. Having someone that knows the full story expose Cobb could be both an nice nod for both fans already familiar with him and an interesting twist for people who only know him from the show.

If I had to guess the detail that they left out from his backstory just based on what seemed off to me
I would assume it was how he really got the Silicax crystals.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
good shit

everyone mentioned KOTOR, but all I could think of was Krayt hunting in SWG

yup
Man, I was a Ranger in SWG, and I got paid good money by Teras Kasi Masters & Doctors use my tracking skills to find krayt dragons for them so they could get the pearls. That and harvesting avian meat to sell to Doctors making buff packs was how I afforded my AV-21 (until it got destroyed by a Nightsister on Dathomir. RIP).

Fuck, I miss that game there no other MMO even close.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
so he got the job from the mandalorial lady to bring baby yoda to his folks, alright, but why? whatever.

so he goes to alien mob guy to find other mandalorians?? why other mandalorians?? why would they know where baby yoda is from? why doesn't mandalorian lady already know? why is he looking for ANY mandalorian and not a spezific one who might know?

he finds a dude in a mandalorian suit and suddenly it's not about some mandalorians knowing about baby yoda folks anymore but about getting the armor back because why? pride? honor? beskar? and it's so important to get mandalorian armor back to kill dragons for it?

boba fett isn't even a mandalorian but my guess is he will actually have a lead to find the yoda folks, which would make the plot even more pointless
My take:
Why did he get the quest? Mandalorian honour malarkey lol

Why other Mandos? He needs help and he only trusts other Mandos. His...branch (?) got essentially wiped out so he needs some new buddies. Also: the woman mentioned the Mandalore arc, with how Mandos and Jedi used to work together, so he hopes to find someone who was involved in that or knows someone who was.

And yeah that last bit is about honour. You just don't get an armour once you turn 18, you gotta earn it. Djin takes that stuff pretty seriously so it's in character for him to go after that.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was a really cool detail that the speed bike of the Boba Fett guy was a converted engine from a podracer.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Was that final sequence shot with IMAX cameras? Looked amazing.

Also guessing someone on the writing staff is a Deadwood fan lmao. Great casting.

Sentient6

Jan 31, 2020
No one can ever make me change my mind: it's just xena with 100 times the budget. It's watchable but it's pure fan service.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Love the episode, Tuscan Raiders not just mindless murders.

I thought Cobb was Pierce Brossnan then when they went outside it's Olyphant

That dragon is like Monster Hunter come to life (I bet the actual movie will not be that good)

Jul 24, 2018
Yes! My favorite Zealander is back! Loved his voice in Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando as well, good to have him back.

Oct 28, 2017

this is basically how i feel about this show all the time. there's little connective tissue between episodes that connects to a larger story.

everything is so disposable. nice high-budget visual effects, no character investment ... lack of drama or intrigue. the only part of the ep i liked was the backstory about the mando impostor because there was actual new story there, even though it wasn't exactly good.

also, i mentioned this in discord already but bruh can Favreau put some dirt on the Tuskens next time? they all look like they just walked out of the wardrobe dept 5 secs ago.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Mandalorians are scattered around at this point and well traveled, plus the whole fighting the jedi in the past angle. They also maintain enclaves which are basically hiding places like the one under Nevarro, which would theoretically be safer for the child. Mando refers to that at one point in the episode. His interest in Tatooine specifically was that he had been there many times and thought there were no Mandalorians there, so it was worth checking out again.

It's a good enough excuse to have him bounce around to new areas/revisit familiar ones.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

this is basically how i feel about this show all the time. there's little connective tissue between episodes that connects to a larger story.

everything is so disposable. nice high-budget visual effects, no character investment ... lack of drama or intrigue. the only part of the ep i liked was the backstory about the mando impostor because there was actual new story there, even though it wasn't exactly good.

I've always found the writing sub-par, with flashes now and then of something better. But, the plot isn't confusing and very simple to follow.

Mandalorian was told by the armourer to bring Baby Yoda back to his folks. Why? Because Baby Yoda saved his fucking life and he's now responsible for it. So, he has either two choices by Mandalorian honor, either train the baby to be a Mandalorian or reunite him with his people. Like, how did you miss this basic setup from the S1 finale?

Why doesn't Mandalorian lady know where Baby Yoda is from? Um, because Yoda's race is rare and few. We've only seen like one other of Yoda's race besides himself in the entire prequel trilogy (hell, all the films). However, the armourer does know that the baby wields The Force and that the ancient enemy of the Mandalorians are the Jedi. So, naturally other Mandalorians might know more. Mandalorians are not a united people, they are separate clans each with their own traditions and history. Thus, one clan might know more about a subject than another clan, hence why Mando would start by asking other clans what they might know about Jedi or Yoda's race.

He goes to Tatooine because he hears a another Mando is there, that's vital information since one Mando can point the direction to others. When he meets Cobb Vanth he sees he's not a Mando and wants the armor back as part of Mando tradition and honor. Obviously once he sees that Cobb isn't a shit head dude and just trying to protect his people he changes gears a bit. If he can get the armor back without coldly gunning down a innocent dude, then why not try? As far as Mando initially figured, killing the Krayt Dragon would be easy peasy. Naturally, things don't turn out so easy but by that point he's invested and already gave his word, so he wants to see it to complete. Also, there's the added fact that he's a Mandalorian, hunting giant beasts is like the thing they love to do. Despite the fact that he never says this, he'd love to kill a Krayt Dragon and add it to his accomplishments. There's a reason the other Mandos were impressed he took down a Mudhorn.

Like, how is this not obvious to anyone? Shit is barebones to allow them to just hop around the SW universe to see and do cool shit.

Oct 28, 2017
I've always found the writing sub-par, with flashes now and then of something better. But, the plot isn't confusing and very simple to follow.

Mandalorian was told by the armourer to bring Baby Yoda back to his folks. Why? Because Baby Yoda saved his fucking life and he's now responsible for it. So, he has either two choices by Mandalorian honor, either train the baby to be a Mandalorian or reunite him with his people. Like, how did you miss this basic setup from the S1 finale?

Why doesn't Mandalorian lady know where Baby Yoda is from? Um, because Yoda's race is rare and few. We've only seen like one other of Yoda's race besides himself in the entire prequel trilogy (hell, all the films). However, the armourer does know that the baby wields The Force and that the ancient enemy of the Mandalorians are the Jedi. So, naturally other Mandalorians might know more. Mandalorians are not a united people, they are separate clans each with their own traditions and history. Thus, one clan might know more about a subject than another clan, hence why Mando would start by asking other clans what they might know about Jedi or Yoda's race.

He goes to Tatooine because he hears a another Mando is there, that's vital information since one Mando can point the direction to others. When he meets Cobb Vanth he sees he's not a Mando and wants the armor back as part of Mando tradition and honor. Obviously once he sees that Cobb isn't a shit head dude and just trying to protect his people he changes gears a bit. If he can get the armor back without coldly gunning down a innocent dude, then why not try? As far as Mando initially figured, killing the Krayt Dragon would be easy peasy. Naturally, things don't turn out so easy but by that point he's invested and already gave his word, so he wants to see it to complete. Also, there's the added fact that he's a Mandalorian, hunting giant beasts is like the thing they love to do. Despite the fact that he never says this, he'd love to kill a Krayt Dragon and add it to his accomplishments. There's a reason the other Mandos were impressed he took down a Mudhorn.

Like, how is this not obvious to anyone? Shit is barebones to allow them to just hop around the SW universe to see and do cool shit.
the problem is the story diverges so much from the main plot that it just loses momentum and is boring. the show doesn't replace the main plot with a side plot that's worth your time. at least that's how i feel about it, generally. like one of the big things in this story was getting the tattooine people to come together with the tuskens and defeat the monster. i couldn't care less about them coming together because i don't know anything about their history.. there's no hook. and i didn't think the developing relationship between mando and fake boba amounted to much.

i probably missed the setup from the first season because i felt no reason to revisit it.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
So many people just refuse to accept this show for what it is. It's not Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, it's The Lone Ranger. It's episodic monster of the week action/adventure television. In an era where every series is trying to be a 10 hour movie, this is so exciting and refreshing. Like The Witcher (another fun show, albeit one I like less than Mando) It's utterly lacking in pretension... and I love it for that.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
the problem is the story diverges so much from the main plot that it just loses momentum and is boring.

i probably missed the setup from the first season because i felt no reason to revisit it.

The "divergences" are the story. The main plot is just a thin setup to explore the galaxy and meet up with new people every week in different situations. You need to think of it more like an old Western show or a Saturday morning cartoon. Like yes, the main plot of Pokemon is for Ash to become the very best by defeating every gym leader in the league. But, the meat and potatoes are the characters and situations he finds himself in every week. Ash training and defeating gym leaders is not the point or pull of Pokemon.

The same goes for Mando, reuniting Baby Yoda with its people is not the main focus; its the setup to tell interesting stories.

So many people just refuse to accept this show for what it is. It's not Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, it's The Lone Ranger. It's episodic monster of the week action/adventure television. In an era where every series is trying to be a 10 hour movie, this is so exciting and refreshing. Like The Witcher (another fun show, albeit one I like less than Mando) It's utterly lacking in pretension... and I love it for that.

I agree with this, except that I feel that just because it's "The Lone Ranger" doesn't mean the writing has to be shit. For example, Cowboy Bebop is basically a similar setup and we can all agree that shit is magnificent from start to finish. I want The Mandalorian to seek that greatness instead of just wallowing in merely "okay."

Oct 28, 2017
it can be that and actually be good. but it's not. that's the problem.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

also, i mentioned this in discord already but bruh can Favreau put some dirt on the Tuskens next time? they all look like they just walked out of the wardrobe dept 5 secs ago.
It's a reeeally solid 7/10.

The episodes are mainly self-contained and it feels more like side-questing in a video-game. I don't mind it really, it's good shit imo, but it's not trying to be a diverging, complex epic, rather than something light and entertaining you watch once a week.

Oct 28, 2017
The "divergences" are the story. The main plot is just a thin setup to explore the galaxy and meet up with new people every week in different situations. You need to think of it more like an old Western show or a Saturday morning cartoon. Like yes, the main plot of Pokemon is for Ash to become the very best by defeating every gym leader in the league. But, the meat and potatoes are the characters and situations he finds himself in every week. Ash training and defeating gym leaders is not the point or pull of Pokemon.

The same goes for Mando, reuniting Baby Yoda with its people is not the main focus; its the setup to tell interesting stories.
you telling me you found this story interesting? you also found the story where he helps the people defeat the AT-ST interesting? i'm sorry but these stories aren't interesting. they are high-budget and nicely produced/shot but they are not interesting in the slightest in my opinion. they are forgotten the moment they are over. the characters are thin as hell, don't make an impression, the acting is spotty as hell, there is a lack of intrigue.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I don't know what the hell anybody could want from a Star Wars show if this doesn't please them. It's why I largely stay out of Star Wars discussions, the expectations are ridiculous.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
it can be that and actually be good. but it's not. that's the problem.

Flat-out disagree. What I love about the show is that it harkens back to the original film, in that it engages with and riffs on the tropes of westerns and samurai films. Whereas most Star Wars films and shows since the original have been riffing on Star Wars.

The craft and form elements are impeccable, too. This episode in particular had a final act that was just impeccably constructed. Best use of an aspect ratio shift in a hot second.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The Mandalorian is fine. I'm not expecting deep, groundbreaking storytelling.

Though it does get annoying to have filler episodes when the baby Yoda plot is more interesting imo.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
The craft and form elements are impeccable, too. This episode in particular had a final act that was just impeccably constructed. Best use of an aspect ratio shift in a hot second.
This was the first time I noticed a change in apect ratio to actually have an impact on the story. That cut to the Marshal's face - masterful.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This. Star Wars has become so bogged down by its own horse shit that The Mandalorian is a breath of fresh air. Fuckery of the week shit with random characters is a welcome change of pace after watching 30 years of movies that revolve around the same tired conflicts.

Oct 28, 2017
Flat-out disagree. What I love about the show is that it harkens back to the original film, in that it engages with and riffs on the tropes of westerns and samurai films. Whereas most Star Wars films and shows since the original have been riffing on Star Wars.

Heh. It's slickly produced I'll give it that. But I disagree on some of the craft elements, namely the digital photography sticking out and desert-dwelling tuskens without a hint of dirt or grime on them. Attention to those details was really lacking.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017

that's like a year ago, I don't even remember what happened to all the other mandalorians who fought in the final episodes.

I just think it's weird not even the armorer knows where they are, instead he has to pay a mobster to find the location of a pretender mandalorian who got his armor from another presumed dead pretender mandalorian. it's just weird to me, but obviously I don't know enough about mandalorian lore.

I already pointed that out in my post, I just think it's odd that the "main quest" is gone from once second to the other.

of course it's obvious, it's just not very well done in my opinion. I still love the show, the dragon battle was awesome, I just wish they put a bit more effort into the framework.