• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Gina was occasionally uneven (I think the more they asked her to do, the more her performance dipped) but she has a ton of charisma and I think an inherent kind of likability. I'm glad she's a part of the show and yeah, Rousey doesn't compare.
Yeah, it's the first time I can tell a person isn't that great at acting but I still really like them in the role.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Just got caught up, and I liked the whole thing, but especially the last episode. Don't know if we're still doing spoilers, but

OH YEAH RANDOM STORMTROOPERS YOU JUST GOT FUCKING BLACKSMITHED.

That was really pretty awesome.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Faults and all, Mando really started winning me over in the last three episodes. I looking forward to seeing if they can continue to improve the show in S2.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Eh, the whole not taking off your helmet thing is new anyway. I assume it's for their safety and survival following the Imperial purge of Mandalore. In both The Clone Wars and Rebels, it wasn't a thing - your helmet was just what you wore in battle because beskar could withstand blaster fire.

Interestingly enough, Mandalorian culture becoming a religion may well imply that's how it survived. The Empire was pretty damn good at stamping out the Jedi and effectively erasing their history, so it stands to reason they'd be just as good at making the galaxy forget the Mandalorians ever existed as a people.

With the reveal of the Darksaber, knowing what that weapon signifies and its importance to their culture, I'm very confident the show will cover the Mandalorian people coming out of hiding and rallying behind whoever reclaims the Darksaber and becomes Mand'alor.

And it's totally going to be Sabine. 😎

It'll be Boba Fett : )

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Gina was occasionally uneven (I think the more they asked her to do, the more her performance dipped) but she has a ton of charisma and I think an inherent kind of likability. I'm glad she's a part of the show and yeah, Rousey doesn't compare.

I agree, but I will say, that she seemed to do better in her second appearance. I don't know if that is due to difference in writing or directors, but I'm hoping it is just her getting adjusted to character. I hope they increase her role in season two because her and Pedro have that good unspoken buddy cop chemistry. Gives me shades of Ben McKenzie and Michael Cudlitz in Southland.

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, and?

The opening crawl says a message of Palpatine has been heard throughout the Galaxy. It does not refer to 'hey, there was this message in Fortnite and this movie is the follow up of it'.

The Fortnite-thing was a promo. They probably had that message recorded to have it heard in the movie but it ended up on the cutting room floor, and marketing saw an opportunity to use it for a promo. That's all it is. You guys make it sound as if The Fortnite event is suddenly a canon event the whole movie is built on, lol.
This is so obvious that it's annoying to see people pretend otherwise. Marketing gonna get asses in seats.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I do hope with Season 2 they'll take some more risks with it.
So far, while decent to good, it's been the safest show I've ever seen.

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
Just finished the first season and it was amazing.
I have a question regarding episode 5 :

Who was that at the end near Fennec Shand's corpse? Moff Gideon?

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it. It's a bit of a slow burn at first, but the last two episodes are amazing.
I liked the Sergio Leone vibe too.

The thing I liked best is that most of the "nostalgia-bait" was used as actual important parts of the story rather than just fanservice.
IG-11 is great. The use of the AT-ST was great. The whole Mandalorian creed stuff was great.

The casting was good too. Gina really looks the part. Herzog and the Grand Moff dude were brilliant.

It's definitely surprised me to find that the SW series I assumed would be the worst was actually the best thing since the originals.
Boba Fett was only cool because he was mysterious, so why would we want a whole series of backstory about his people? I thought it was an even worse idea than a movie about how Han Solo did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. Very glad to see that I was wrong.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
one thing i hated about the show is how prompted dude all around the internet to come out and say that Gina's character is how "you make a good female character"

fuck those dudes.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Giancarlo Esposito is like the best guy at playing the penultimate bad guy. Dude is in like everything and always in the same type of role.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, Gina works when the role calls for her to do a particular type of scene. She's less good when she has to do uncertainty/darker emotions I think but she's good the rest of the time.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'll admit...
I kinda marked out when Gideon emerged from the wrecked TIE with a Darksaber.
That final shot is just *chef's kiss*
I need to go back and fill in the gaps in Clone Wars/Rebels

Enjoyed this show way more than I thought I would.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit...
I kinda marked out when Gideon emerged from the wrecked TIE with a Darksaber.
That final shot is just *chef's kiss*
I need to go back and fill in the gaps in Clone Wars/Rebels

Enjoyed this show way more than I thought I would.
I had that moment ruined for me by my Google News feed. Like, literally the moment the episode dropped, the headlines were all like:

The Darksaber Explained
Where Did [redacted] Get His New Weapon?
Gideon's Fearsome New [redacted]

Like, come the fuck on.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Excellent show. Though I thought episodes 5 and 6 were pure filler.

I think I like Star Wars better in episode format

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why wouldn't they have checked out the crash though?

also i'm just catching up watching the last two episodes and don't quite understand why the blacksmith talks about Jedi in the way she does?

oh and the TIE landing scene was amazing. You never see them close up and I don't know if the folding wings/landing mode is new in this but I don't care - it just looked so good and the sense of scale with the stormtroopers in front.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
also i'm just catching up watching the last two episodes and don't quite understand why the blacksmith talks about Jedi in the way she does?

I believe she's referencing the Mandalorian Wars from the Old Republic era (assuming its still canon).
Revan (yes, that Revan) and Malak rallied a bunch of Jedi, against the council's orders, and broke the Mandalorian hierarchy in efforts to halt a Sith-driven campaign of conquest.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Giancarlo Esposito is like the best guy at playing the penultimate bad guy. Dude is in like everything and always in the same type of role.
Its hilarious looking back at Once Upon A Time to him being the Magic Mirror
latest

who was hinted at being Aladdin's Genie originally
latest

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We posting random Giancarlo Esposito stuff?

Fun fact: this was directed by Jon Favreau

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to say how much I loved and enjoyed this show. Shit is something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.