• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
star-wars-the-mandalorian-episode-5-ending.jpg

Was it ever addressed who this is or why we were seeing it?
Filoni being Filoni and wanting to sneak/work elements back into canon for the hardcore fans.
Like he tried with Revan
like he did with the Old Republic ships before RO incorporated them as well
Like he did with Thrawn
Etc

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Good ending to the season. The middle part of the season was blah, but picked back up

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason Mando locked up Xi'an and Friends rather than kill them. They are seeding future episodes.
Ehh, that is a resolution to the episode though--the betrayers are locked up, and the vampire twi'lek dude was killed. And Mando escapes.

And more to the point, I forgot about it. I don't want to see Vampire Twi'leks again...

Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you can bring back Boba Fett without pissing off Din fans or Boba Fett fans.

So if they did bring him in, one idea I have might have Fett posing as a fellow Mandalorian, "teaming up" before the betrayal (he was sent after the child) and then the eventual escape via a Thanoscoptor plot device.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Am I the only one who has issue with "Mandalorian isn't a race, it is a clan," garbage? You know there is a whole planet and group of people from there, right?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Please just be a flashback to some random dude meeting Yoda and pointing Mando in the right direction
The star wars universe is infinitely huge and rife with unlimited creative potential, digging up the old, familiar and well trodden just seems uninspired, especially in a show that feels as fresh as it does because it's showing us the universe through a perspective we've never seen it through before.

I think it's a done deal that Boba Fett is showing up.

He was the Mandalore in Legends and the darksaber is floating around and this was likely a Boba Fett Show before.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who has issue with "Mandalorian isn't a race, it is a clan," garbage? You know there is a whole planet and group of people from there, right?
It should be noted that at the point this series is set, the Mandalorians of Mandalore have basically been wiped out. In previous series that's never been the case, or acknowledged at least.

So their whole foundling thing is basically their way of keeping the traditions of Mandalore alive.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It should be noted that at the point this series is set, the Mandalorians of Mandalore have basically been wiped out. In previous series that's never been the case, or acknowledged at least.

So their whole foundling thing is basically their way of keeping the traditions of Mandalore alive.

And it is implied that planet was nearly wiped out by the purge. So their approach has changed as to who and what constitutes a Mandalorian.

Din was a foundling during the Clone Wars.

This isn't a new tradition. It's an old tradition. Mandalorians didn't go through a purging until the OT era.

Being Mandalorian is a culture not race-based. Same as being Hispanic.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this was likely a Boba Fett Show before

It almost certainly wasn't -- this show was actually in development at the same time the Boba Fett movie was, so it's not like the movie was turned into the show. Favreau loves Mandalore and Mandalorian characters and pitched the show as his own creation.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
The show wants you to think its boba fett.

I think its this dude:
starwars.fandom.com

Cobb Vanth

Next time you wanna pretend to be a gunfighter, best to shoot first, talk later.Cobb Vanth, to Adwin Charu Cobb Vanth, also known as "the Marshal", was a human male who lived during the Galactic Civil War and subsequent New Republic Era. Once a slave, he rose to become marshal of Mos Pelgo on...

Currently has Bobba Fetts armor.

Real talk:

I think in this scene it was Gideon.

But as for Cobb Vanth himself? I think the dude is Boba Fett, living under a fake name (would explain why he wanted the armor), and this is being done to make Boba more popular. Probably a crazy theory but I could see it working.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Din was a foundling during the Clone Wars.

This isn't a new tradition. It's an old tradition. Mandalorians didn't go through a purging until the OT era.

Being Mandalorian is a culture not race-based. Same as being Hispanic.
Whoops, that is an excellent point.

I think it makes sense for a warrior culture to have that sort of orphan-adopting tradition, in any case.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The show wants you to think its boba fett.

I think its this dude:
starwars.fandom.com

Cobb Vanth

Next time you wanna pretend to be a gunfighter, best to shoot first, talk later.Cobb Vanth, to Adwin Charu Cobb Vanth, also known as "the Marshal", was a human male who lived during the Galactic Civil War and subsequent New Republic Era. Once a slave, he rose to become marshal of Mos Pelgo on...

Currently has Bobba Fetts armor.

They should be real gutsy and make it Jodo Kast.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

This was established in the old lore as well. Really Filoni and crew have been largely digging into all the old lore and adapting it to screen. The Mandalorians stopped being a race thousands of years past, their planet became a wasteland due to warfare and they become splintered into clans. They take in people who if they prove themselves, become part of that clan. The clan is both family and your tribe. This isn't new lore.

So far almost every bit of lore they are using for the mandalorians in this show was taken from the old EU material which Filoni was always a fan of, he has close ties to the Mandalorian Mercs fan club as well.

Dec 12, 2017
One thing I have been unable to reconcile since the show started.

In Chapter 1, when Mando goes to Arvala-7 to get Yodling, who the fuck are the baddies that have him? How did they get him and what was their plan for him? Were they just sitting on him and killing every bounty hunter that came through looking for The Child?

None of that is clear at all, considering how much of a HVT Yodling is.

For all we know, they were protecting Yodling from the Imperials. 🤔

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Was watching Rebels today and it was a Mandalorian heavy episode and the wife noted that all their helmets are off for everyone to see. I didn't know what to tell her 🤣

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have been unable to reconcile since the show started.

In Chapter 1, when Mando goes to Arvala-7 to get Yodling, who the fuck are the baddies that have him? How did they get him and what was their plan for him? Were they just sitting on him and killing every bounty hunter that came through looking for The Child?

None of that is clear at all, considering how much of a HVT Yodling is.

For all we know, they were protecting Yodling from the Imperials. 🤔

We still don't know its backstory.

Was watching Rebels today and it was a Mandalorian heavy episode and the wife noted that all their helmets are off for everyone to see. I didn't know what to tell her 🤣

The Empire presumably wiped out a huge portion of their culture and their beliefs shifted. We don't know enough to say more.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
This was established in the old lore as well. Really Filoni and crew have been largely digging into all the old lore and adapting it to screen. The Mandalorians stopped being a race thousands of years past, their planet became a wasteland due to warfare and they become splintered into clans. They take in people who if they prove themselves, become part of that clan. The clan is both family and your tribe. This isn't new lore.

So far almost every bit of lore they are using for the mandalorians in this show was taken from the old EU material which Filoni was always a fan of, he has close ties to the Mandalorian Mercs fan club as well.

Star Wars Rebels happened like 10 years ago and they were making a mends...just seems sort of off.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The real bummer of Rebels

is that Sabine and Bo-Katan spearheading the fight for Mandalorian independance is basically confirmed to be an utter failure, so complete that it ended with the near-annihilation of the Mandalorian people. We know Sabine survived because she was on Lothal, but I doubt many others were that fortunate.

FIloni why ;-;

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhh, so when the Scout Troopers were told of Gideon killing one of his own men, they're talking about him machine-gunning The Client. 🤦‍♂️

They'll bring back the old guy from the opening of TFA in the tent, that had the map to skywalker.

I'm Sydown for this.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
So, Moff Gideon supposes to execution by new republics for his war crime.

I guess Mon Mothma didn't punish any imperial high rank and let everybody go?

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So was it ever a thing that the Jedi didnt practice exotic force powers within the order? Stuff like force heal is the first we've ever seen on film. And what about force speed? And more powerful types of force pull and push? Force vision and levitation?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So was it ever a thing that the Jedi didnt practice exotic force powers within the order? Stuff like force heal is the first we've ever seen on film. And what about force speed? And more powerful types of force pull and push? Force vision and levitation?

According to the TROS Visual Dictionary (lol) Force healing is like an ancient thing that nobody knew about, and Rey learned of it from the sacred texts she took from Luke. Baby Yoda probably inherently knows how to do it because his species is ancient and connected to the Force or something.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show! So glad I ignored the large amounts of strange, nitpicky negativity that seems to flow through the internet during this show's run, really made me realize the disconnect between me and "the fan base".

Not sure if they'll keep the focus and surprise for a second season, but this one was fun for what it was.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
According to the TROS Visual Dictionary (lol) Force healing is like an ancient thing that nobody knew about, and Rey learned of it from the sacred texts she took from Luke. Baby Yoda probably inherently knows how to do it because his species is ancient and connected to the Force or something.
Is it confirmed that yaddle is dead or whatever the other one of yoda species that served on the council. Given her species i would think she'd be one of the few that survived and went into hiding. Hopefully thats a plot point in season 2?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show! So glad I ignored the large amounts of strange, nitpicky negativity that seems to flow through the internet during this show's run, really made me realize the disconnect between me and "the fan base".

Not sure if they'll keep the focus and surprise for a second season, but this one was fun for what it was.
True fans hate watch everything related to Star Wars.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! 🙂

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Did we ever get to see who was walking into the end scene in the gunslingers (tatooine) episode or will that be something for season 2?

I'll rewatch this after I'm done with Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.