• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Episodes 5 and 6 remain so weird to me.

If they didn't exist, absolutely nothing would have been missed or lost. Honestly, they could have taken that time and used it to stretch out the events of episode 4 (meeting the woman, meeting Cara, training the army to defend themselves, making the decision to leave possible love behind) across those 2 random-as-hell episodes, making that plot line not feel rushed and allowing the whole season to feel properly connected and part of one story arc.

If the show had featured fully standalone episodes those would have been fine, but the other episodes building on one another as part of a clear story just makes them stand out like sore thumbs.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

If they didn't exist, absolutely nothing would have been missed or lost. Honestly, they could have taken that time and used it to stretch out the events of episode 4 (meeting the woman, meeting Cara, training the army to defend themselves, making the decision to leave possible love behind) across those 2 random-as-hell episodes, making that plot line not feel rushed and allowing the whole season to feel properly connected and part of one story arc.

If the show had featured fully standalone episodes those would have been fine, but the other episodes building on one another as part of a clear story just makes them stand out like sore thumbs.
I think the show was originally supposed to be 6 episodes... because 5 and 6 were not written by Favreau. Its like they were not allowed to further develop the characters and/or plot.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Given how neither 5 or 6 had any pay off this season, I think they were just setting up threads to be picked up season 2.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Theory: The boots in Episode 5 were Boba Fett.

The series climax will be Din and Boba fighting for the Darksaber.

Legends! Boba Fett was once the Mandalore btw.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I hope next season is better.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a Star Wars fan but it was somewhat okay to watch. Episodes 4-6 were a total waste of time, though.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
Episode 5 had Fennec (maybe not dead?) And probably-maybe-Boba Fett teased, and episode 6 had Bill Burr and the bois; they both felt like season 2 setups to me.

Or maybe not even season 2, maybe other Star Wars media.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Episode 7 and 8 back-to-back. The last two episodes really tie together nicely. I might have to watch the series back-to-back sometime before season 2 comes out, too.

RIP Kuiil.

Edit: Just to add -- I already know how Pedro Pascal looks like, but having IG remove his helmet and finally showing his face was quite the reveal anyway.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares if episode number whatever is vital to the overarching plot or not, what matters is if the episode is good or not.

And episode 6 aka Star Wars' own "Task Force X" aka a ragtag group of criminals pull a job starring Bill Burr, Clancy Brown, Natalia Tena, Richard Ayoade, and Mark Boone Jr.(just look at that lineup), was one of the best.

Dec 12, 2017
Given how neither 5 or 6 had any pay off this season, I think they were just setting up threads to be picked up season 2.
This person gets it. These two episodes set up characters we will likely see in the future.

Plus Chapter 6 showed us a glimpse of the type crew that Mando used to run with (especially with Ran and Xi'an), which i really enjoyed. Also showed how desperate he was to find work/stay off the grid with Yodling that he would go hat in hand to a situation he obviously left in poor condition.

Chapter 5 was blatant fan service with the weakest director of the group. It was also the weakest Chapter.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think boots guy was going to be Boba but with the season ending without reference to it
it going out of its way to go to Tatooine that episode
It being Dave Filoni's episode....

its 100% Boba Fett.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

They were also to show that time passed since episode 3, that Mando had no choice but to accept Karga's proposition to return to Nevaro. Without that, the message to return and accepting it right away wouldn't work. And they did indeed setup future confrontations in upcoming seasons with his old crew and if that might have been Boba Fett in 5 (if people believe)

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The storm troopers did not have a good day in episode 8. As great as IG's final scene was, the utter incompetence of the troopers earlier made it feel unnecessary.

Really though, IG-11 was perfect. A rare example of the new EU taking a good old EU element and doing right by it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I didn't think boots guy was going to be Boba but with the season ending without reference to it
it going out of its way to go to Tatooine that episode
It being Dave Filoni's episode....

its 100% Boba Fett.

Yep the episode could have taken place anywhere. They didn't even really relish in the Mos Eisley scene much outside of the droid thing and introducing Toro sitting in Han's seat.

It was tatooine specifically bc of Boba Fett.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed how long the speeder trooper scene went on for.

Only bad part of the episode was how abrupt it resolved. The moff crashed way off in the distance, and then the good guys immediately start talking about what comes next. It felt bizarre to me.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed how long the speeder trooper scene went on for.
I loved that whole bit, especially when they took out their blasters and couldn't hit the piece of scrap.

Only bad part of the episode was how abrupt it resolved. The moff crashed way off in the distance, and then the good guys immediately start talking about what comes next. It felt bizarre to me.
Yeah, that felt to me like it should've ended even a bit more abruptly, without any real resolution. But it seemed like they wanted to make it clear that Mando and baby-Yoda would still be going it alone so you get some slightly awkward 'Greef and Dune are going to be staying' and also here is just how/why that is feasible.

Inelegant but probably necessary as before it happened it felt to me like we had a solid group to continue into the next season.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I had forgotten Taika was directing the finale until that stormtrooper scene was fucking littered with comedy and went on for a while. His style shown through immensely there and part of me wondered if that wasn't also a glimpse of what Solo could've been like had Lord and Miller not been given the boot.

Great finale even if a lot of the moment to moment plot beats felt extremely contrived. Also was a bummer for the crew to immediately disband after coming together. The dynamic was great!

With Feige producing a SW movie I wonder if this was Taika's test run with working with both the property and Lucasfilm. Would love for him to be given an entire film to run with.

All in all, an extremely solid show with a strong start and end and two poor episodes smack dab in the middle. Very promising start to the concept of a live action SW show. I'm all in now.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Pre-Disney canon was a weird thing. The movies were obviously canon, plus The Clone Wars which GL had personnal involvement. The general rule was any new work in the EU was canon unless GL said it ain't so.

It's alot like how the MCU films disregard the events of the Marvel Television shows even though they're technically "canon". The EU was disregarded by Lucas unless he liked something from it and added it to the films. For example he took the name Coruscant from the Timothy Zahn novels. Also Lucas liked the Jedi Aayla Secura from the EU and added her to Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-Disney canon was a weird thing. The movies were obviously canon, plus The Clone Wars which GL had personnal involvement. The general rule was any new work in the EU was canon unless GL said it ain't so.
I prefer this over the Disney approach tbh. Now you have silly shit like that Knights of Ren comic and Kylo never killing anyone at Luke's temple being canon.

Pre-Disney you could kinda pick and choose what you consider definite canon or not.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer this over the Disney approach tbh. Now you have silly shit like that Knights of Ren comic and Kylo never killing anyone at Luke's temple being canon.

Pre-Disney you could kinda pick and choose what you consider definite canon or not.

I'm not sure why people keep blaming this on Charles Soule and his comic. The decision that Kylo was actually a Good Boy Who Never Hurt Anyone was likely made by people much higher than him during development of TROS as part of his phony redemption arc. Soule is just being forced to put it into a visual form.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
well i gave the last few episodes a chance

really can't say i want to watch the second season at all

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

Wait, what? Luke literally says Kylo slaughtered his students

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well finally caught up. They at least nailed the landing with these last two eps which kinda makes your forget how uneven the whole season was. So yeah, great job to everyone involved. Hoping next season we'll see that same level of quality the last two episodes showed.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep mentioning the Terminator movies but the first thing that came to mind during IG-11's lava boat scene was Dante's Peak and the grandma in the lake. Second one was Volcano and the dude in the subway.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, what? Luke literally says Kylo slaughtered his students
Luke was unconscious what would he know!

Litterally everything is Luke's fault he screwed the galaxy. Kylo was just an innocent good boy abandoned by his guardians to a weird stranger.

Sadly his parents and carers never taught him about stranger danger.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the show was originally supposed to be 6 episodes... because 5 and 6 were not written by Favreau. Its like they were not allowed to further develop the characters and/or plot.
Theory: The boots in Episode 5 were Boba Fett.

The series climax will be Din and Boba fighting for the Darksaber.

Legends! Boba Fett was once the Mandalore btw.
Episode 5 had Fennec (maybe not dead?) And probably-maybe-Boba Fett teased, and episode 6 had Bill Burr and the bois; they both felt like season 2 setups to me.

Or maybe not even season 2, maybe other Star Wars media.
I don't think Boba cares much about The Mandalore. He wears the armor because to honor his father.

There's some speculation about work done for the scrapped Boba Fett film being adapted into Chapter 5.

End credits for Chapter 5. The rider is clearly not Dyn Djarren/Mando. Mando doesn't have tan/yellow boots in any of the other concept art or in any of the episodes. This could be post-RotJ Boba Fett concept art. Also Orlando Blooooom.

uzkpa6a4qc341.jpg

screen-shot-2019-12-06-at-9-26-20-am-1575642471.png

Status
Not open for further replies.