• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not a bad finale, but even in comparison to other episodes in the season, it felt almost completely different and kind of sucked the energy out of the build up from the last episode. Maybe it came down to some of the actions not carrying near as much weight as I expected or some actions not making much sense in the moment as easy outs for the main characters, it just felt a bit weaker than I hoped for a finale.

Also, why stay on the planet if the remnants of the Empire know you are there and you wiped out a whole mess of storm troopers? Seems like a good time to actually leave and set up shop elsewhere.
Didn't like the opening scene. Had too much marvel quippiness for my taste, but the rest of the episode was great. Cant wait to see the darksaber in action next season.
To me it felt like it drew too much from stuff like Robot Chicken in its humor. Maybe not as outlandish, but it felt almost like a skit from the show. Not even sure why they stopped outside of the city outside of the lazy excuse that Moff was in a murdering mood. Too much of a stalling tactic to get IG to show up.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
People just shooting the shit is "marvel quippiness" now?

"I don't like Pulp Fiction, too much Marvel quippiness"
259744753703190558.png

That actually made me laugh, good one.

But anyone who has seen all the episodes of this show can agree that it seems at odds with the overall tone. It also lasted way too long that I was wondering if I was watching a blooper. It's probably all Waititi idea though, his master Feigu has taught him well he has.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I guess with Moff carrying the darksaber...
Bo-Katan is dead. I wonder if Sabine even knows about this or what as survives the OT.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldve left his helmet on....his face with it off looked nothing to me like id expect the young child theyve been showing as him as an adult. Its like he went from a dark haired, olive skinned child to a middle aged white office worker

That whole convo between the two biker scouts at the beginning and them punching baby yoda while he was in the bag was just offputting and wrong

what? He'd been buried underneath armor since that time(sunlight not hitting skin). He'd definitely become lighter skin over time.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I love the way Filoni and Co. create this in-Universe slurs for one camp to demeam the other

"Clankers"
"Seppies"
"Mandos"
"Imps"

It's such a little detail yet so full of (awful) humanity

Dec 12, 2017
Like someone who can actually write a good quality show. It's not going to be very difficult to find someone to top the writing of this season.
k
I love the way Filoni and Co. create this in-Universe slurs for one camp to demeam the other

"Clankers"
"Seppies"
"Mandos"
"Imps"

It's such a little detail yet so full of (awful) humanity
Don't forget "droppers". I agree, really makes it feel lived in.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I really enjoyed it, unexpectedly, since I'm normally lukewarm on all things Star Wars.

It's also basically The Witcher. A foundling child brought up and trained by nearly extinct elite warrior cult who earn their living as bounty hunters, protecting a strange child with immense magic powers.
Oh my lol

I like this show but I feel like you really need to turn your brain off completely to fully enjoy this. Theres just a lot of situations that lead to questions:

-The flame thrower trooper enters the room.....nobody even tries to preserve themselves and IG-11 just sits there. Good thing the kid did something or they would all be dead from stupidity. There was clearly enough time to shoot the guy in the face.

-After the flame trooper explodes, no other trooper enters the room because.......?

-IG-11 wipes out a shit load of troopers and takes quite a few shots, but cant kill the 10 troopers at the end of the lava river because.......?

-Why wouldnt they make sure that Moff Gideon was dead? The Tie didnt explode.

-All the troopers are gone now? How could they know this? If the troopers are all gone, why leave then? Why not go back for the armorer?

-Are we to believe that all those mandos were taken out by Stormtroopers? The same number of them that Mando and his merry band just handily wiped out?
Yeah, a lot of that stuff annoyed me too. It's nitpicking somewhat, but a lot of those could be easily avoided with better directing, too.

For the last part, I think they were killed earlier (after Din left after episode 3), according to what the blacksmith lady was saying.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually contradicting myself here because I said the opposite some posts ago, and people are going to kill me for what I am about to say, but honestly, after thinking more about it and with the hindsight of maybe seeing saber battles in the future I wish they had someone else portraying Moff. Esposito nailed the character but he's going to look silly waving that thing around (though most would, unfortunately).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

That scout troopers' conversation reminded me of this.

That was the most humanising moment for stormtroopers that I have ever seen. Loved their chit chat. The one bit that was a bit odd was how the person over the radio mentioned how the Moff had just shot an officer for interrupting him, but when we see the Moff again, him and his troops are in the exact same position we left them in from the episode before.

Also, Baby Yoda giggling while Stormtroopers were being gunned down left and right had me dying inside.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually contradicting myself here because I said the opposite some posts ago, and people are going to kill me for what I am about to say, but honestly, after thinking more about it and with the hindsight of maybe seeing saber battles in the future I wish they had someone else portraying Moff. Esposito nailed the character but he's going to look silly waving that thing around (though most would, unfortunately).

I think it's sort of the point. The guy is going to try and be a big bad ass. Gonna get himself some midichloran injections or something.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who grew up watching hercules and xena and (the best random ass action comedy syndicated show ) jack of all trades and who really likes Star Wars and who's favorite mcu movie is ragnarok, this shit is my jam.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people here think his name is actually Moff and don't realize it's a title.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
That start with the Storm troopers was hilarious. Seeing the Darksaber was hype but that means Bo-Katan must be gone as well :(

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this one a bunch. Some parts were different, like the opening scene, which I think dragged on a little too long although I liked it.

I also thought all of Mando's backstory stuff kind of dragged too/wasn't as well executed as it could have been. He got a flashback that we've already partly seen and went on too long, and then an explanation that also was kind of extraneous.

Esposito was great. He seemed like he was having fun lol

I don't get why the Mandalorian wouldn't assume his tribe had scattered. I thought they said in the episode they attacked that they were leaving?

I definitely don't get why Greef/Cara thinks it's just fine to go and stay in town after killing an imperial regiment and a Moff either. That feels too status quo. They should have all booked it off to other planets and the last few scenes with them should have involved them all parting ways at some dingy spaceport.

Overall I still feel like most of the season could have been a bit more character/plot focused like the past two episodes. The show would have been elevated if it had, although it was fun for what it was.

This episode felt like it had more good moments than others. IG-11 going out with a self-destruct was definitely a Terminator thing but I'm fine with it. I liked Baby Yoda standing against the fire, it felt like a real Jedi moment. I liked the lone Mandalorian blacksmith killing some stormtroopers with melee weapons.

Holy shit, Darksaber!

That's all I got.

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy how much more engaging the side and kid stuff is compared to the absolute massive movies with budgets to do anything they want.
Normally i'd say its the extra screentime helping development but Mandalorian doesn't get all that much more.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Since The Mandalorian (which I loved) had some extremely bad pooorly written parts (like every SW property, as its part of the charm) I don't want to see people praising this while shitting on the Disney trilogy (whic I also loved for the same reasons). If anything the Disney trilogy and Manda showed equal parts SW goofy/clunky making them fully realized SW.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best episode by far, but really episode 6/7/8 were a constant steady improvement. The tease at the end leaves me very excited for the next season. I hope the quality is more consistent (and improves even more), but overall I'm very happy with where things have ended up...

Still think they need better writers than Favreau though.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched two episodes, but I feel like this is the best thing the star wars franchise has produced in years. I'm not a huge fan of star wars, but this is great so far. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've only watched two episodes, but I feel like this is the best thing the star wars franchise has produced in years. I'm not a huge fan of star wars, but this is great so far. Does anyone else feel the same way?
This thread is full of spoilers so I'd bail now if I were you

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it's good. But you should dodge some spoilers, and keep watching :)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Super satisfying when the armorer smashed those stormtrooper helmets in
Yep. One of my favorite parts.

The episode overall was great.

On one hand I'm glad Esposito is gonna be the main villain of s2 supposedly, on the other hand I'm so mad Mando didn't bother to double tap him.

IG's death was neat, I really thought the episode was gonna end with it, Cara, Mando and the kid and Carl Weathers escaping with Gideon clearly alive so I'm kinda surprised IG died already and the gang split up.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

It's not the same quality all the way through, but yeah, it's a very fun show.

What works the most about it is that it's not beholden to crushing expectations over how the story should unfold or having to tie in characters/stories from the film.

I showed it to my 9 year old nephew, but I also enjoyed it. It lives for an hour and then it's over, so I want more of it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
also yeah them staying in Navarro is so dumb especially what happened last time a big fight broke out in town lol

I was also surprised that so many of the other mandalorians died, they made it pretty clear at the end of episode 3 that they knew they were fucked and were gonna relocate and then it seemed like they were content with going back and just waiting to be slaughtered

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also the flashback in general was so weird. Why didn't his parents go into the cellar with him? They easily could have fit. They just died for no reason and then 2 seconds later the Mandalorians come to the rescue. Felt it would have been better if he was chilling there for an hour or two before the Super Battle Droid rolled up.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And yeah killing IG was probably a smart move because he was powerful as fuck when he zoomed into town lol

As someone else pointed out it also made it seem odd that he was full of despair at the incoming ambush at the end of the river

The episode overall has a few minor nitpicks that I hope lessen with time but this and Episode 7 were fantastic.

Also at the start of the episode, the scout troopers were trying to hit a bomb on the ground or something right? And they each missed like 5 times?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
And yeah killing IG was probably a smart move because he was powerful as fuck when he zoomed into town lol

As someone else pointed out it also made it seem odd that he was full of despair at the incoming ambush at the end of the river

The episode overall has a few minor nitpicks that I hope lessen with time but this and Episode 7 were fantastic.

Also at the start of the episode, the scout troopers were trying to hit a bomb on the ground or something right? And they each missed like 5 times?
Stormtroopers have notoriously abysmal aim.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If I arrived on a planet and wanted to exterminate everyone, I would go after all the children first. They're gonna want to fulfill their destinies someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.