• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the Jedi and the Force being mythical and not very well known especially along the outer rim worlds. What I don't get is how a Rebel shocktrooper and a Mandalorian would have no idea about these things.

Din was a kid during the Clone Wars and lived on a planet affected by it. The Republic was nowhere to be found but surely he would have heard the older Mandos talking about the war and learned of one of their oldest enemies at some point? And as for Cara, she fought for the Rebel Alliance. You expect me to believe they didn't spread stories of Luke and his exploits to boost morale? Or Kanan and Ezra before him? It's just so weird for certain characters to not have an inkling that these things even exist. At the very least Rey had heard stories as kid and thought they were made up.

I was super excited to see the Darksaber, but very sad when I realized what that means for one of my favorite Mandalorians. RIP Bo.

Overall it was an awesome episode, I enjoyed the trooper banter at the beginning as well. I winced every time they punched the baby tho.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the finale. It felt a little bit disconnected at times, but I loved it as individual moments or set pieces. Specially the start of the episode. Oh, and the music with IG-11's last scene.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I can't wait for Mando to start teaching the baby words. Or will they keep him silent the entire show I wonder.

You know, we should discuss the concept of a 50 year old baby more. Fifty years. FIFTY. That baby has seen shit. It's pondered life and the cosmos. It is wiser than most humans. Unless its brain matures at a much slower rate to compensate somehow?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with all those Mandos getting killed by Imps with the exception of a few escapees...does this mean Dyn is the last full-fledged Mandalorian? Like helmet and jetpack and all?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The way this episode ends with him taking out the tie, landing on the surface and then Karga and Cara Dune coming up to him was jarring AF. Did they do reshoots for this or something because it looked like two different movies.

Assume it's cause of all the CG work in the Tie sequence and then the ground part was practical, so it was a little jarring the difference in visuals

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand the Jedi and the Force being mythical and not very well known especially along the outer rim worlds. What I don't get is how a Rebel shocktrooper and a Mandalorian would have no idea about these things.

Din was a kid during the Clone Wars and lived on a planet affected by it. The Republic was nowhere to be found but surely he would have heard the older Mandos talking about the war and learned of one of their oldest enemies at some point? And as for Cara, she fought for the Rebel Alliance. You expect me to believe they didn't spread stories of Luke and his exploits to boost morale? Or Kanan and Ezra before him? It's just so weird for certain characters to not have an inkling that these things even exist. At the very least Rey had heard stories as kid and thought they were made up.

I was super excited to see the Darksaber, but very sad when I realized what that means for one of my favorite Mandalorians. RIP Bo.

Overall it was an awesome episode, I enjoyed the trooper banter at the beginning as well. I winced every time they punched the baby tho.

It's really not that strange that these characters would be ignorant to The Force and Jedi in general. The nature of the movies and the shows makes the galaxy seem a much more connected place than it actually is. But we're talking about thousands of planets spanning the galaxy with billions of beings on each planet. Most of which will never leave their own planet and would never have cause or concern for the details of what's happening Galaxy-wide because regardless of whether they're Independent, Republic, or Empire, their lives are largely the same. The Force in particular is something that would be hard to believe actually exists unless you witness it first hand. Of course nearly everyone we see in SW media is aware of it because the majority of them are relatively major players. Hell even the no-name soldiers for either faction would likely be cream of the crop for them to be serving with/fighting alongside important figures like Moffs, Admirals, and Generals.

When you really think about it... how many of the Empire's soldiers who were stationed on either version of The Death Star actually ever even *saw* Vader? Those things were the size of a moon. Now widen that to an entire Galaxy.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
When that mandalorian discovered the kid in the flashback I thought it was Boba. Then I saw everyone else looking identical to him.

Stop messing with me Favreau.

Can't believe they didn't even resolve that stranger approaching Melinda May's body at the end of that other ep.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
To me, this episode shows the potential of a story that borrows from ALL of Star Wars. OT, PT, animated shows, sequels...Everything.

And the end result was far more satisfying for me than whatever the hell we got under Mr "Star Wars is only what I saw when I was 11" as a major motion picture

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
So all these imps can't even take out 3 humans & a droid but a whole den of Mandalore's, yeah, no problem.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the quality of the writing/dialogue improves next season. I'm still enjoying it, but I still feel it should be a lot better given how much effort gets put into every other aspect of the show.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm not up to date on all of the extended universe stuff, what does the dark saber reveal lend to the child being important?

The darksaber and Yoda's species are both very esoteric and rare things in the galaxy, both connected to the force. Gideon is likely collecting them for himself or his master. I don't think there's a specific connection between them, other than them being Jedi-aligned.

So with all those Mandos getting killed by Imps with the exception of a few escapees...does this mean Dyn is the last full-fledged Mandalorian? Like helmet and jetpack and all?

I think Sabine still counts? She's alive and well post ROTJ according to the Rebels finale.

I'm sure more are alive too.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I want a spin-off episodes purely about these two dudes:

EM0pWB_UUAAjA3j

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Those troopers jobbing and waiting a bit longer because he just killed another guy was hilarious.

Sadly I don't think I'm as enamored as most here. The characters have such ridiculous plot armor that everything feels inconsequential, it doesn't become exciting anywhere. Those IG units are so OP that you wonder why stormtroopers exist in the first place. Outside of Baby Yoda hardly anything of note happened and most episodes follow the same predictable pattern.

I like that there's a live action series of Star Wars (though it hardly feels like Star Wars) and it's good enough to keep watching, but the raving befuddles me a bit. I was more excited about The Witcher, and that got panned comparatively.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some parts felt a bit disconnected, but still an awesome Episode and a great show. Enjoyed this so much more than the last 3 star wars movies, and can't wait to see the next season.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know who played those stormtroopers in the comedic bit? The one guys voice sounded super familiar you me.
Ah I figured it would be something like that. May have missed them actually replenishing then, I thought you didn't really see them do anything except stand around and talk.
She says something like replenish your arms and he walks to a corner of the room

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I really enjoyed it, unexpectedly, since I'm normally lukewarm on all things Star Wars.

It's also basically The Witcher. A foundling child brought up and trained by nearly extinct elite warrior cult who earn their living as bounty hunters, protecting a strange child with immense magic powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.