• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
And here I was secretly hoping Waititi was going to give us a fun, light hearted Christmas Special.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Loved it. Best episode yet in terms of overall quality in my opinion.
Was really cool to see the breadth of Yoda's powers. They hinted at the healing in episode 2, but it was cool to see it in action. Is this the first time we have seen force healing in live action Star Wars?
Really hyped for next episode and season 2 as well.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Best episode yet in terms of overall quality in my opinion.
Was really cool to see the breadth of Yoda's powers. They hinted at the healing in episode 2, but it was cool to see it in action. Is this the first time we have seen force healing in live action Star Wars?
Really hyped for next episode and season 2 as well.

Yes it's the first time unless they did something in Clone Wars?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's any deeper than "Baby Yoda thought Gina Carano was trying to hurt his daddy so he instinctively used the force to defend him"

but they were just having a friendly arm wrestling contest and he's a dumb baby who don't know nothin

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just started binging this. It's pretty good. It could use a tinge more levity for my taste but otherwise I'm loving it.

PIT DROIDS!!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
LOL people have no clue how crazy those shows get with it.
Z7apJGL.gif

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
My headcanon is that the Sith dude Force coptering is equally perplexed by it working. (But, spoilers for Rebels: you see three people performing this feat and no one talks about it being unusual, so I guess it's just an accepted Force technique!)

Oh, and by virtue of it being in Rebels, it's canon. Woooooo!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That helicopter move isn't really a Force ability. It's used by Inquisitors, whose lightsabers spin around a wheel mechanically. In my head canon, the spinning lightsaber blades heat the air and decrease its density, causing lift.

In Rebels, one of them actually falls to his death when his lightsaber malfunctions while he's doing that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
That helicopter move isn't really a Force ability. It's used by Inquisitors, whose lightsabers spin around a wheel mechanically. In my head canon, the spinning lightsaber blades heat the air and decrease its density, causing lift.

In Rebels, one of them actually falls to his death when his lightsaber malfunctions while he's doing that.
Hmm, I always figured it was a variant on Force Throw. It's too ridiculous otherwise.

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baby Yoda is the best thing to happen to Star Wars. I just want to grab his little cheeks and hug him and squeeze him and call him George.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I actually just want a young adult Yoda (whatever this guy is) shonen series now where we watch him grow up, train and flex his force powers.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Question for the series as a whole: How can mando take care of baby yoda if it's still a baby despite it being 50 years old? By the time it's a 100 it would still be a baby, right?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the series as a whole: How can mando take care of baby yoda if it's still a baby despite it being 50 years old? By the time it's a 100 it would still be a baby, right?
I've wondered that, too. But I guess it depends on how that creature's lifecycle is. Humans take a relatively large percentage of their lifespan to reach maturity. Cats on the other hand are kittens for about a year than adults for like 2 decades.
Yoda was 900 when he died and had said he had trained Jedi for 800 years when he met Luke, right? Though I would assume neither are precise numbers. Also, I'm amused by Star Wars having a universal "year" that just so happens to match ours.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
After loving the first 2 episodes I'm now just watching it to see it through. I really hope the second season of this show is nothing like this one. I want a morally grey Mando with edge and intelligence, who doesn't do dumb shit all the time. I actually feel like Mando is an idiot. The most recent episode was getting good reviews and I just don't get it. The visuals are good and it's fun to look at but that is about it. The show just has no bite or tension. Meh.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That was such a good episode. Finally got to watch it, and man o man, give me that for 2 hours over whatever the hell the new trilogy has been and I would be happy.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The latest episode felt more like a return to form. I'm glad they brought Cara back. Gina Carano isn't an amazing actor but I think she has a likeability to her and she feels sincere. Plus bringing back Nolte and Weathers helped the episode feel stronger, character wise.

There are still really silly things, like using an open(?) communication channel for your last line of baby protection.

Not really sure why Herzog was killed but I thought the delivery of his "Imperialism is stability also where's the baby" moment was fantastic and hilarious. Honestly sad he's gone but Esposito is always fun to watch so we'll see where it goes.

Baby Yoda does some stuff, finally! He had some fun moments. Lost it when he peeked out.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The baby yoda puppeteering was amazing before, during and after the force choke sequence. He/she went through 3-4 different emotions within 2- 3 minutes.

Last edited:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
After loving the first 2 episodes I'm now just watching it to see it through. I really hope the second season of this show is nothing like this one. I want a morally grey Mando with edge and intelligence, who doesn't do dumb shit all the time. I actually feel like Mando is an idiot. The most recent episode was getting good reviews and I just don't get it. The visuals are good and it's fun to look at but that is about it. The show just has no bite or tension. Meh.

what? Have you seen episode 6 and 7?

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
We binged the whole show this week and dear lord we loved every single minute of it! I am a huge fan of classic westerns like High Noon etc so I love the vibe this show has going for it, and my man Herzog is in it too (I avoided spoilers, trailers and even posters for this thing so I was stunned to see him show up). I can only assume Herzog wants a paycheck so he can fund making a documentary about a lonely mountain goat or something, but he is easily the most intense and compelling character in the show.

Haven't been able to read this whole thread, but was surprised to see some people were down on the episodes with the AT-ST and Ming-Na, I felt each episode was pretty exciting and suitably star wars, while giving the characters room to breath and grow. Love the whole thing.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to ep 7.

Well goddamn. Why couldn't more of the show been like this? Actual character interaction, a bit more character/plot development. Some more direction.

Probably the best right now for the series.

Also baby yoda force choking was sick

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the hell out of the show but I mostly agree. I'm easy to please, especially anything SW, but I'm baffled as to why anyone who's not into SW would like it. I'm surprised critics aren't tearing it apart honestly. Mando is one of the dumbest characters ever. It's funny how much horrible decisions he makes.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After a very flat middle. It's all coming back around. I enjoyed 6 for what it was. And 7 is shaping up nicely.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the hell out of the show but I mostly agree. I'm easy to please, especially anything SW, but I'm baffled as to why anyone who's not into SW would like it. I'm surprised critics aren't tearing it apart honestly. Mando is one of the dumbest characters ever. It's funny how much horrible decisions he makes.
I think critics didn't tear it up because Disney didn't send out review episodes so by the time reviewers could watch, baby Yoda became a meme. And they're stuck week to week like us.

If Disney has sent out the requisite 5 or 6 episodes like most shows I think this definitely would have got a very mixed reception from them.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think critics didn't tear it up because Disney didn't send out review episodes so by the time reviewers could watch, baby Yoda became a meme. And they're stuck week to week like us.

If Disney has sent out the requisite 5 or 6 episodes like most shows I think this definitely would have got a very mixed reception from them.

Each chapter after the first one got solid reviews tho? Chapter 5 was the worst one according to critics (agreed).

Edit: and I think that chapter 2 made baby yoda a internet sensation? He appears for like 30 seconds in chapter 1.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Each chapter after the first one got solid reviews tho? Chapter 5 was the worst one according to critics (agreed).

Edit: and I think that chapter 2 made baby yoda a internet sensation? He appears for like 30 seconds in chapter 1.
The first chapter is a solid and intriguing start so it should get good reviews. The show falls apart after a few episodes though. By that time baby Yoda is a meme and people are having fun with it. Critics just aren't going to shit all over that. Not in the same way as if they had 5 or 6 episodes of meandering plus awful writing and poor acting.

I guess what I'm saying is that given one or two episodes critics are positive and hopeful and won't bring everyone down. Given 5 or 6 episodes ahead and they'd definitely have some big issues. In the hypothetical scenario they were given all 8 I'm sure it'd be back to something more middling.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The first chapter is a solid and intriguing start so it should get good reviews. The show falls apart after a few episodes though. By that time baby Yoda is a meme and people are having fun with it. Critics just aren't going to shit all over that. Not in the same way as if they had 5 or 6 episodes of meandering plus awful writing and poor acting.
It did, but it's back on track now. I have high hopes for the last episode. Hopes I didn't have after The previous 2 episodes that went nowhere and felt like nonsense.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It did, but it's back on track now. I have high hopes for the last episode. Hopes I didn't have after The previous 2 episodes that went nowhere and felt like nonsense.
It's not back on track, it just did the bare minimum during the penultimate episode. The show really needed to weave this stuff together and actually develop some characters. Just when we were getting back to some semblance of recurring characters, having the ultimate baddy kool-aid man through the fucking walls in this episode is the ultimate fuck you to storytelling. The show's a mess. It's still fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the last episode, but I don't have high hopes on the writing whatsoever. It started with some hope and an interesting premise only to squander it and not look back. It's not suddenly going to do a 180 now.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baby Yoda peaking down during their conversation was absolute gold. I need it as a GIF.

Then him trying to mess with the ship....lol what a little green legend.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's not back on track, it just did the bare minimum during the penultimate episode. The show really needed to weave this stuff together and actually develop some characters. Just when we were getting back to some semblance of recurring characters, having the ultimate baddy kool-aid man through the fucking walls in this episode is the ultimate fuck you to storytelling. The show's a mess. It's still fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the last episode, but I don't have high hopes on the writing whatsoever. It started with some hope and an interesting premise only to squander it and not look back. It's not suddenly going to do a 180 now.
We can agree to disagree.

But I will say that if Episodes, 5, 6, and 7 never even existed, I would have felt like nothing of value was lost at all. That's pretty disappointing, given the series is only 9 episodes long in the first place. Like, how does that happen? Maybe those characters will somehow matter in the conclusion? Otherwise, I just don't understand what the point of them was.

It's just been a weird series for me. It started off as if all the episodes would build off of each other. But then #5, #6, and #7 come along as these unnecessary, inconsequential self-contained episodes that do next to nothing to advance the development of any of the core characters or the plot surrounding the baby (who still doesn't have a fucking name which bothers the hell out of me).

That said, if they stick the landing, I'll be happy enough with what we got here. I don't see a way to think of 5, 6, and 7 as anything but fuckups for now. But I'll reserve judgment until E9 is out. I hope for the best.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
We can agree to disagree.

But I will say that if Episodes, 5, 6, and 7 never even existed, I would have felt like nothing of value was lost at all. That's pretty disappointing, given the series is only 9 episodes long in the first place. Like, how does that happen? Maybe those characters will somehow matter in the conclusion? Otherwise, I just don't understand what the point of them was.

It's just been a weird series for me. It started off as if all the episodes would build off of each other. But then #5, #6, and #7 come along as these unnecessary, inconsequential self-contained episodes that do next to nothing to advance the development of any of the core characters or the plot surrounding the baby (who still doesn't have a fucking name which bothers the hell out of me).

That said, if they stick the landing, I'll be happy enough with what we got here. I don't see a way to think of 5, 6, and 7 as anything but fuckups for now. But I'll reserve judgment until E9 is out. I hope for the best.

I don't think we're that far apart in what we're saying. I just think they can't stick the landing based on the fact they pulled a villain out of their ass at the last minute for it, so they're sticking to the mistakes that I see in 5, 6, and 7. Plus leaving one episode to develop any sort of personality besides blundering idiot for the main character is probably not a good thing. They're basically out of time to stick the landing. Might it be a fun romp? Sure. But it'll still likely show how far the show is from what it could have been with a few changes.

Also, you could totally remove episode 2, too. The only development is that baby Yoda has force abilities, but otherwise they both end up in the same spot as prior to the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.