• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Jack had a goal, albeit one that was just barely unattainable (return to the past, destroy Aku). The problem with The Mandalorian is that the Mandalorian does not have a goal besides basic self preservation, and that doesn't make for compelling storytelling.

That goal is flimsy in SJ because you can never know how close he actually is. Literally any episode could be the finale.

The goal for Mando is "get Baby Yoda off their radar." But the goal in this genre isn't the point. The goal is just a thematic device to keep the MC on their wanderings.

i think if you're looking for traditional serialization you will be disappointed

Yes, very much this. This won't have an ensemble cast. This won't have episodes of intrigue about Werner Hertzog. Baby Yoda won't be a secret Targaryen.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
A GIF for Clancy the God:

giphy.gif

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Big time groan when they revealed they were all alive at the end of the episode- this really is purely made for kids huh?

I mean otherwise, much better episode than the last several.

Oct 27, 2017
I was between average and poor, I'm not really enjoying it beyond the setting being Star Wars. I'd much prefer a story than several isolated episodes of goes to place, gets involved in something, sorts it out, leaves.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Except this was advertised and promoted as a darker look at the underbelly of the galaxy.

Instead we get $$$baby yoda$$$ fun time and making the main character not killing people who deserve it even though he's a seasoned bounty hunter!

How in the world is this game the baby yoda fun time?

Mandalorian is a softie. He only truly hates droids given his Clone Wars trauma. That's a fine enough characterization for a show like this

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was the best ep yet but it was lame that they were all revealed to have survived at the end, particularly since it didn't make sense for two of them. Must have been a late addition.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked everything but the part after the distress signal seemed to take way to long in comparison to the time limit that was being called out. Maybe if they made a point to not tell them how many minutes were left (since they did that before with the hyperspace jump) it would have been better.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is I can't complain about Mando not killing everyone when I don't understand the context of Quinn's capture. Apparently Mando was to blame for his capture, Quinn was "left behind." So, perhaps Mando felt that he possibly deserved being double crossed some and left them alive. I don't know as I don't know his culpability with regards to Quinn's capture.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I just think he thought it was fitting to leave them in a cell, the way they were going to do to him.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Binged all six episodes in one go last night for the first time. This is one of the best Star Wars things I've seen. Obviously baby Yoda is the cutest thing ever.

The show and structure gives me Watanabe vibes. Similar to Bebop or Champloo. I dig it a lot so far.

This most recent episode in particular felt a lot like a Clone Wars episode to me.

I will say during the Tatooine episode when Mos Eisley and Mos Espa were the only places mentioned I said aloud that Tatooine "only has two towns" lmao.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Dang the action in this ep was great, better than last week but in general this is falling flat with me. Feels very one note and off-brand to me.

If it weren't for the occasional burst of quality SFX and adorable shots of BY, I could easily mistake this for low budget tripe. It's as if the season was filmed in about a week or two and then music and effects were most of production. Weak story telling.

I mean I still watch but I don't care outside of BY.

And a main character who never conveys facial expressions may have something to do with that

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
That was a badass episode. Nice to see he didn't kill them all off.

Bill Burr's acting wasn't bad, either.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know I'm such a mark but the whole exchange about Mayfeld being an Imperial marksman really got me. Loved the episode. Last one felt a little rough to me but this one was really cool.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Love that New Republic droid design. Very Star Warsy. Wish the regular battle droids in the prequels looked something like that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Clankers are iconic though. It's like they set out to make a standard trooper that looks weaker than Stormtroopers, and managed to succeed.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But kids today don't much care for Star Wars. Therein lies the rub. The entire franchise's identity is in limbo.

Kids like it just fine. I have kids at my door every year in Star Wars costumes for Halloween. It's just not the center of the universe to them, which is fine. Frankly the pedestal the IP is put on with religious zeal from some older people is somewhat embarrassing anyway.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Kids like it just fine. I have kids at my door every year in Star Wars costumes for Halloween. It's just not the center of the universe to them, which is fine. Frankly the pedestal the IP is put on with religious zeal from some older people is somewhat embarrassing anyway.

I suppose I was just buying into the narrative of this kind of thinking:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation

I just wonder how many proverbial 'kids' are asking for Star Wars toys or Star Wars anything this Christmas.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kids "liking it just fine" is already bad compared to the absolute adoration Marvel induces in them.

That said, Mando and Baby Yoda might sell toys to kids

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I was just buying into the narrative of this kind of thinking:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation

I just wonder how many proverbial 'kids' are asking for Star Wars toys or Star Wars anything this Christmas.

Kids shouldn't be obsessed with a 40 year old franchise anyway the way I see it. Find something new for crying out loud. Marvel is still relatively young as a motion picture IP but I would say the same there in 20-30 years kids should be into something else other than RDJ's Iron Man.

Kids getting force fed this stuff by parents desperately trying to be 8 year olds themselves is quite frankly a bit embarrassing too.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kids shouldn't be obsessed with a 40 year old franchise anyway the way I see it. Find something new for crying out loud. Marvel is still relatively young as a motion picture IP but I would say the same there in 20-30 years kids should be into something else than RDJ's Iron Man.

Kids getting force fed this stuff by parents desperately trying to be 8 year olds themselves is quite frankly a bit embarrassing too.

Things is, these kids are being offered only the 40 year old franchise their parents love but repackaged. No kids alive will take that and love it as much as their parents.

The prequels won over a generation of kids by giving them "their" Star Wars.

In order to do that again, you need to make Star Wars into something most of us here would probably hate, but it would breathe new life into the franchise, and make kids truly fall in love with it.

See: Every classic cartoon reboot that adults make videos criticizing but kids love: Ben 10, PPG, Teen Titans Go, She-Ra, etc.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things is, these kids are being offered only the 40 year old franchise their parents love but repackaged. No kids alive will take that and love it as much as their parents.

The prequels won over a generation of kids by giving them "their" Star Wars.

In order to do that again, you need to make Star Wars into something most of us here would probably hate, but it would breathe new life into the franchise, and make kids truly fall in love with it.

See: Every classic cartoon reboot that adults make videos criticizing but kids love: Ben 10, PPG, Teen Titans Go, She-Ra, etc.

The hyper-fetishization and "pedestal" position Star Wars has been put onto is lame anyway and deserves to be taken down. It's just another franchise, 70s/80s people who keep trying to act like it's some holy religion are embarrassing.

Kids should like new things and have new stuff that defines their own childhood, not some parent trying to shove what they liked onto their kids.

It's more than OK that Star Wars is just another IP at this point. Quite frankly it doesn't deserve some exceptional position anyway given that they're not made one film that's even close to Empire Strikes Back in the 40 years since then.

The prequels were god awful, not surprised most kids chose to be more interested in Harry Potter and Spider-Man and Pokemon during that time. And as I recall too, prequel toy sales cratered hard after Phantom Menace and a lot of that Phantom Menace merchandise was in the discount bin come that Christmas.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I got my wife into Star Wars through this show and baby Yoda. We are thoroughly enjoying the series.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Great episode. I think I am on board with a serial series at this point. I just want to see Mando and yiddle travel the galaxy while revealing interesting aspects of the Star Wars universe. The show really feels like a western serial from the 50s at this point, which I never thought id appreciate.

Its a show for star wars and I think it's great that they can just explore the more common aspects of the universe.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really loved that episode. Basically the perfect one-off episode showing Mando's creativity in getting out of a tight spot. Loved seeing the X-Wings at the end.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The hyper-fetishization and "pedestal" position Star Wars has been put onto is lame anyway and deserves to be taken down. It's just another franchise

It's more than OK that Star Wars is just another IP at this point.
Lol no it is not, and I'm not a 80s kid, I grew up with the prequels.

How anyone can say this when this average franchise made almost a billion dollars domestically (the highest grossing of all time in the US) when it returned is beyond me. Star Wars is modern American mythology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.