• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I really enjoyed this episode. I like this "the universe isn't at stake" story telling we are getting with the show.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I liked getting to see the new republic some. Until now we'd only seen "the resistance" and the destruction of the NR.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I really enjoyed this episode. I like this "the universe isn't at stake" story telling we are getting with the show.

thankyou.gif

People are acting like there are just so many episodic Western/samurai TV shows that The Mandalorian ought not bother filling that niche. Give me more weekly pulp genre adventures, please!

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Given the tease at the end of episode 5 and how incredibly self containted these last few eps have been, am I right in thinking that 5 and 6 could have traded places completely without continuum issues for that tease to better lead into whatever is coming up?

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else just make the connection that Bill Burr compliments the officer's boots because they're stormtrooper boots?

4pfEjol.png

stormtrooper-life-size-figure-star-wars-3-1200x712.png

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
While I liked the episode (and was quite entertaining), this was the one that had more "mmmhh" moments for me

Anyway:
*Not a fan of either Twi'lek actors. Overacting went pass the hammy point. Also, both were too dumb for that kind of job.
Mando-being-in-a-brief-relationship-with-X'ian was just pulling his sleeves, I guess. Hard to believe, but I do feel like it was written as real.
*Bill Burr is like Rogan to me. Entertaining, but with a major side that is off putting. But comedians tend to be good actors, and for the most part he sold the part, even if some references were a bit too 4th-wall breaking.
As sharpshooter, he wasn't THAT great.
*The scene where everyone is bullying Mando, felt actually tense.
*The Crest needs more security and internal countermeasures/traps. It's the 3rd time strangers peruse Mando's stuff.
*Weird the prison only had 1 living guard. Feels like they should have at least 4. Also, should have more heavy weaponry inside.
*That "tracking beacon" is essentially a Buster Call signaler (One Piece reference). Razor everything in sight, no hesitation. But realistically, it should have involved at least the double of ships.
*Those guard droids looked amazing. I do not know if practical effects were involved, but some of their arms/torso reaction movements when being taken down were quite impressive.
*Not sure why Zero tried to kill baby Yoda. I was expecting him to either use him as an immediate hostage, or to gain more long-term leverage. Didn't make any sense.
Also, mini Yoda bowed thanks! Probably the 1st time he communicates in a more cultured way.

"Told you it was a bad idea"
-- For a moment, I thought Mando's plan all along was to actually capture all those mercenaries, and get money from the NR (which, I have noticed, he seems to respect somehow). That would have been an interesting twist.
But apparently it was about taking an oat to avoid killing, unless necessary. The Child works in mysterious ways.

I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time with these Stand alone episodes. We are learning stuff from Mando's past, seeing how his skills work in different scenarios as well as establishing characters that will have an impact in the future.
There is suppose to be low-level points, so the main-storyline ones hit harder.

Last edited:

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the episode but could have done without the very last scene. Should have left that up in the air.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the episode but could have done without the very last scene. Should have left that up in the air.
Yeah the last scene was a bit weird to me I was kind of hoping they would have this gig be a seperate thing from the Guild even thiugh both are scummy as fuck.

I wonder when we're going to see a Hutt in this series.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Richard Ayoade stole the episode for me. The casting was too perfect.

The dude in the hanger is the guy Batman hung upside down in Batman Begins. The "swear to me" guy. Mando kind of had a "no kill" rule like Batman in this episode.

swear-to-me.png

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better episode and a truly dope action scene with mando vs the droids. I like how they consistently show he is an excellent combatent but not perfect and struggles with brute force opponents.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a fan of this weeks episode.

The Twilek's were hamming it up way too hard. The crew kinda felt like a bunch of saturday morning cartoon characters. The baby yoda on the ship stuff melted my heart though

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Richard Ayoade stole the episode for me. The casting was too perfect.

The dude in the hanger is the guy Batman hung upside down in Batman Begins. The "swear to me" guy. Mando kind of had a "no kill" rule like Batman in this episode.

I think it was more of a "i don't need even MORE heat on me by killing a new republic guard"

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Filoni as an X-wing pilot was pretty great. Named Trapper WOLF I believe too.

Thought Bill Burr did a good job too.

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Mando is a nice guy. I would've killed every single one of them on getting off of the ship.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the last scene was a bit weird to me I was kind of hoping they would have this gig be a seperate thing from the Guild even thiugh both are scummy as fuck.

I wonder when we're going to see a Hutt in this series.
wait, which scene are you guys referring to? I don't recall the guild being anywhere in this episode? the last scene was just showing he hadn't killed the crew

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode. The crew was a bit weak, poor chemistry and deliveries. But I really enjoy this show's pacing. The writing could improve though. I feel like I've most enjoyed the bits where the writing takes a back seat to the action and cinematography.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is the scene I was referring to. I just think they could have left that out but I understand that this is on Disney+.
oh got it, thought I missed some link to the broader story

yeah, it was just some "Mando is the good guy" bs. I think that is something we have to expect from this show (though people get murdered left and right by the supposed protaganists in the cartoons)

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly better than the last 2 eps, but so much of the show is hurt by bad/over/hammy acting from the guest actors. I did enjoy seeing more of the New Republic too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely better than last week's embarrassment, but not too hot either. I fear the show peaked in its third episode.

Both Twi'leks were unbearable, and Clancy Brown was a bit too hokey, but both Boone Jr and Burr were well cast. The action here was pretty damn solid.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So they once again teased Baby Yoda's powers (or in this case, was about to use them). Hopefully in the season finale, he wastes some fools.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the prison guard being Anakin Skywalker's voice from The Clone Wars. Love Matt Lanter.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
So they once again teased Baby Yoda's powers (or in this case, was about to use them). Hopefully in the season finale, he wastes some fools.
I would absolutely bet on Baby Yoda saving the day in the last episode.

Edit: The one question I have is if they will actually name the "Yoda" species in this show.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
the cameos of the pilots at the end were fun but it was extremely weird that the first thing they do when responding to the distress beacon was to blow up the entire station. Like, shouldn't they y' know maybe hail the station, gather maybe a little more intel before doing that lol? Weren't they curious about what happened to the transport pilot? oop they're launching a fighter better blow up the whole place.

1. Like others have said, it's basically a Buster Call. Shit's gone wrong. Gotta blow it up.
2. They saw them launching a gunship the moment they got there so yeah, shoot first, ask questions later.
3. Unless they tracked where Mado was going, he got away scot-free.

This was my favorite episode of the season.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I absolutely loved this episode. Was probably my favorite of the bunch so far. Bill Burr did a pretty great job.

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They started off with a great and intriguing premise but now it feels like they've blown it with these self contained episodes. They're just nowhere near as interesting as the first couple of episodes.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Fantastic episode, easily the best since the first three. It was a well throughout action episode and executed so well. So many great moments.

I too wish the story would be more connected but I am familiar with Filonis work and this is what he does. The first season of these shows are usually no where near as good as the future seasons. Lots of setup is happening in random episodes and then the following seasons will introduce some major new villain and really start to tie things together.

We are going to get some famous characters in future seasons if his work from before is any indication.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
the cameos of the pilots at the end were fun but it was extremely weird that the first thing they do when responding to the distress beacon was to blow up the entire station. Like, shouldn't they y'know maybe hail the station, gather maybe a little more intel before doing that lol? Weren't they curious what happened to the transport pilot? oop the're launching a fighter better blow up the whole place.

Also the distress beacon was on a prison ship not a space station. They don't have some kind of signal about that? The prisonship beacon isnow on a spacestation let's blow that shit up anyway wooo!

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Very much improved. This is still not a great show but they need to use what works, have some fun, and show some action/suspense. I liked all the betrayals.

Maybe hire some better actors for season 2 or other series.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Still very video gamey and inspired by feeling. The lack of a good main storyline is painfully evident and I'm starting to feel it's going to be the downfall of the series but this episode was enjoyable as a dumb one off.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
People really can't handle an episodic show anymore can they.

A great show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer wouldn't take off in today's environment when 2/3 of the season was monster the week.
I don't mind it here since it's just star wars, but I'm definitely someone who can't get into procedural, case-of-the-week type shows. Not when there are so many great serialized series out there.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone missed this, it's the VA for Anakin in The Clone Wars

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
man this week's episode was so fucking good
and i love that its basically a heist movie, with a small section where it turns into a slasher movie

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's probably my favorite since the episode where Mando escapes with the child. I wonder watch the baby was getting ready to do if Mando hadn't shot Zero.

I loved that sequence with Mando creeping up on the bald guy. Like something straight out of Alien.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.