• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Those last two episodes did not much for me. We have 3 more episodes, and i hope the show gets good again, cause i really liked the first three episodes.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the performances in the last two episodes were definitely distracting. The two villagers that recruited Mando were right out of a cartoon. Their scenes/writing were very bad.

And why did he take off his helmet to eat in front of a window, with a chance of about 10 people looking over at him to see his face? The love interest also seemed rushed.

The show is kind of both not great and pretty good to me. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a shitty web series made to hype up a video game release (like the Division). But that's only here and there and it's usually just a decent show. No incredible moments or shots, etc at all though which I think may as well make it overall mediocre to poor to me.

Yes, it also reminds me of a (really high budget and well executed) web-series. There just isn't a lot of depth.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing that Disney+ was only set in stone around the time Solo released, and they decided to spin the planned future "A Star Wars story" movies to it hastily, realizing that the big costly block buster movies would be too risky onward relative to the output they had planned for the IP. This show was probably put together as a result of fixing a release date to match the service's start, so probably less than a year to make what actually became The Mandalorian.

I think they have a pretty good chance of doing things better with either a future season or future show, but I think a lot will depend on how much creative interest the stakeholders have, or are allowed to have.

When Disney wanted to hire D&D, it indicated they did want to have some creative interest in charge, at a time when they had a trilogy with three different directors coming. GoT was at its peak. But with how things turned out with that show, this probably got thrown out the window, and sadly I don't think this will change, especially since on a corporate level it gives them more leeway to manage the IPs with such a high output level without having to go through the motions of dealing with a central creative stakeholder(s). GoT was one show, no movies, ten years, and even that ended up off the rails after a while. But I can't see it working out any other way; at this point the Star Wars IP feels too disjointed to be stitched back together by a central creative figure. It's just too big. They would have to scale everything back, and try to make a success out of a single show in which they actually put serious effort. The Mandalorian can turn out fine for another season, but if it's just one story out of many concurrent ones the corporate affairs will throw it off track anyway.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
My episode rankings so far:

Chapter 3 (the best by a long way)
Chapter 1 (the IG droid was great)
Chapter 2
Chapter 4 (obviously copying Jurassic Park, forced love interest)
Chapter 5 (really bad acting)
Chapter 3 was pretty bad. The Mandos had zero reason to save Pedro Pascal and, worse, were completely wasted shooting up street level thugs (instead of being saved for when it's Imperials who have cornered Pedro), and the way the action scene is shot is just atrocious.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Chapter 3 was pretty bad. The Mandos had zero reason to save Pedro Pascal and, worse, were completely wasted shooting up street level thugs (instead of being saved for when it's Imperials who have cornered Pedro), and the way the action scene is shot is just atrocious.
I think they saved him because you know...he's a Mandalorian as well and a fellow warrior. Why wouldn't they save one of their brothers in trouble?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There was a reason. The Way.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
There's something strange about some of the side characters in the past two episodes. They feel a little too "modern" or something, and it clashes with the Leone western vibe they were chasing. The characters like Herzog's or Weathers' felt right at home, but characters like the wannabee bounty hunter this episode or the "diner" lady last week feel like they walked in off a different show.

You can't say "filler" about a show that obviously isn't intended to be a serialized story beyond the overall frame story of him protecting Baby Yoda. The "filler" is the show, a series of little adventures of this wandering Mandalorian.

Agreed its a big problem on the show. Completely ruins the tone and makes you feel like you are watching something for Disney XD. Also don't forget the blue idiot from the first scene.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The episode was pretty good besides the acting and teleporting at the end. Way better then 4. Just watched it for the second time and enjoyed it a little more. Episode 1 was just leagues better then the other 4 episodes. Seems like they spent their whole budget on the first episode or something.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The beskar held up at that range. But then he gets shot point blank later, and it still holds up. Seems he's just immune to blaster fire, then.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Uh, no. The person I'm replying to said it was filler. Lemme quote it for you:

See, I'm asking him what makes this a filler episode. I'm not discussing the merits of the show.

Right, but I think that a lot of people call something filler when it is boring, uneventful, and ultimely not worthwhile to the overall progression of the show. Whether or not it qualifies as true 'filler'.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, but that's how people use it all the time in regards to media - especially in anime. People will call stuff that is from the source material 'filler' when it for sure technically isn't. And sometimes I can't blame them.

No, filler in anime are episodes where the plot doesn't progess because they're waiting for the manga to get far enough ahead to give them more material. You can have good filler, and bad filler. This episodes 100% moved the plot forward, and using the term "filler" isn't warrented.

Dec 31, 2017
The reason people think it's filler is because there is less than 30 minutes of actual content per episode. That is woefully inadequate time to build plot in that time.

This show has ridiculously long end credits (in multiple languages, no less) and unnecessary recaps at the beginning.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this one didn't really rise above okay.

The acting was distracting, and didnt really work for me until the betrayal where the young dude finally came across as somewhat genuine in being a slimy person.

If the episodes are going to be short, they need to nail side characters, or plot progression, or interesting concepts/fights, which this episode did not really do for me on any of those levels. I hope this isn't a sliding trend here.

Also I liked them talking to the Tuskan Raiders.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There's something strange about some of the side characters in the past two episodes. They feel a little too "modern" or something, and it clashes with the Leone western vibe they were chasing. The characters like Herzog's or Weathers' felt right at home, but characters like the wannabee bounty hunter this episode or the "diner" lady last week feel like they walked in off a different show.
Oh, that's a really good observation; I couldn't place why they didn't fit, but that's it.

It's like Clone Wars characters fell into the wrong show.

Oh that is cool, thanks for linking it.

Peaceful Tusken Raiders, and communication with them, was a really good touch. Definitely my favourite part of the ep.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's going to have to be another show regular for this thing to work, someone who actually talks without a mask and isn't a baby.

I just don't know know how much juice this can get out of this formula, yeah the "Western space cowboy" thing is neat as a nostalgic motif, but it also in 2019 runs stale pretty quick ... it's not 1960s or even 1990s TV anymore.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Loved every episode so far. I was worried about the series having short episodes, but I'm glad that fear's been allayed.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a little worried with where the show is going, I hope we get more deep dives into Mando's character, preferably with Cara. I thought EP4 was a step in the right direction in this regard, even if it wasn't particularly written that great.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
When you know your namesake character is going to be covered with a mask at all times and has a monotone voice, you better have a great supporting cast. They did......in the first couple episodes. Every subsequent episode has had some of the most wooden acting Ive ever seen.

Dec 31, 2017
When you know your namesake character is going to be covered with a mask at all times and has a monotone voice, you better have a great supporting cast. They did......in the first couple episodes. Every subsequent episode has had some of the most wooden acting Ive ever seen.
I think somebody else here likened the performance of the bar-keeper in "Sanctuary" to acting from a amusement park stage show. The mechanic and the young bounty hunter in "Gunslinger" were on exactly the same level. I'm not sure whether this is a casting problem or director problem.

My best guess is that they are filling the non-recurring acting roles with upgraded extras.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think somebody else here likened the performance of the bar-keeper in "Sanctuary" to acting from a amusement park stage show. The mechanic and the young bounty hunter in "Gunslinger" were on exactly the same level. I'm not sure whether this is a casting problem or director problem.

My best guess is that they are filling the non-recurring acting roles with upgraded extras.
Ehh, I don't think it's fair to slight the actors here; the direction to be 'comedic' characters is coming from above. It's not like delivering the same lines differently would improve things.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I guess I'm just a simple country hyper-chicken, but I find this show to be quite enjoyable even when it is just kind of "filler". The Mandalorian is almost refreshing in its old-school simplicity, it's like watching "Wild Wild West" or "Have Gun Will Travel", except in a SW setting. Sure, it's taking its cues from Westerns and Samurai stories, but those were entertaining stories and I think The Mandalorian is pulling off the adaptation.

Maybe we've all been spoiled by serialization in sci-fi/fantasy since Babylon 5 and DS9 really jumpstarted it. Sometimes you just need a little story about a man with a gun, a baby, and a place to get to.

Cwyll

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's short, simple and fun. If other people enjoy it as it is, then that doesn't mean that you have to agree.
If it's successful then there'll be more; so stop watching it if you want to see it cancelled.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Positives are that Tatooine has never looked so good since ANH, the droids, sleepy baby Yoda, and the initial bounty hunter dog fight.

Bad : Pretty much all the rest lol.

They need to avoid hand to hand stuff unless melee weapons are involved. It's not their strong suit and has been amateur hour all series. Nobody is going to try to punch a Mandalorian wtf, just stick to guns.

The kid was over his head to the point of idiocy and it just wasn't believable . It's a shame because he reminded me more of a young Han than Alden initially. But yea, the turn was bad and it was too cliche. Not Filonis best writing effort, but directing was solid. It felt like a bad filler episode of rebels come to life. In some ways that's good because if he can bring the better TCW/Rebels caliber stuff to live action then we're in for some great stuff moving forward --but at the same time animated characters can get away with a lot more than live action ones. You're okay with animated characters acting a little dumber...but there's only so much you can get away with in live action before it degrades the experience.

Anyway, first legit bad episode for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.