• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the core problems with Baby Yoda is that there's no chance it will EVER grow up into an actual character during the runtime of the TV series if it's 50 years old and still an infant.

If you're gonna do Lone Wolf and Cub you kinda have to get to a point where Cub grows up, and Yoda's species being stuck in baby mode for possibly somewhere close to a century renders that basically...not possible.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious everyone poopooing in Boba never had any attchement to the old games and books and lore.

maybe an appearance of Boba is for old school fans

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's no doubting that. The real question is whether or not it improves the show or takes an interesting angle, or is just a "whoa Boba Fett, cool!" moment.

I say this and I have a mythosaur tattoo on my shoulder. Clearly I like Boba Fett, but just having in the show for the sake of it doesn't really sound that appealing.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Darth Maul survived being cut in half and falling down a pit and now the Emperor is back too.

Do you really think Boba Fett is dead?

Maybe Jango Fett is still alive as well and is mentoring Boba through one of those glass tubes from Futurama? Hell, throw in Count Dooku too.

rIwMgQqQxMkIVoK-800x450-noPad.jpg

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, as much as I love Baby Yoda, it's about time he start doing something other than being cute. I want to see him wreck someone by using the force.

Also, they need to to a much better job of explaining and fleshing out why Mando is one the run. Basically, the episodes need to be long and more involved. Give us some footage away from Mando of the guild and what is going on behind the scenes.

I don't think there's an absolute problem in the "_____ of the week" format, but I don't think it's being done particularly well here.

Let's get real: Baby Yoda's appeal is almost purely in its cuteness. It has had a handful of "character" moments, like playing with the controls and saving Mando, but the cynic in me sees him only as an adorable shortcut into viewers' feelings.

The boy in Lone Wolf and Cub had more character than Baby Yoda.

I just really think this show would have benefited from a 60-minute episode runtime.

EDIT: lol beaten
+1x2

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think one of the core problems with Baby Yoda is that there's no chance it will EVER grow up into an actual character during the runtime of the TV series if it's 50 years old and still an infant.

If you're gonna do Lone Wolf and Cub you kinda have to get to a point where Cub grows up, and Yoda's species being stuck in baby mode for possibly somewhere close to a century renders that basically...not possible.

I'm not sure how old Mando is in s1, but it could be possible to do a time-skip for S2 or beyond that is concurrent with the modern trilogy? By then Yoda might at least be at speaking level.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't LF plan to do a Boba Fett movie with Mangold? They might be using those canceled plans for this show?

Dunno.

Dec 12, 2017
It's obvious everyone poopooing in Boba never had any attchement to the old games and books and lore.

I'm an old school fan and I like Boba. We don't need him in a show like this because:

1) it ain't his show and as such, he will never come out on top vs. Mando.

2) we need to divorce ourselves of the OT crutch

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018

If he never takes his helmet off, it should be easy to do a time skip if they wanted to do something like that.

Or they could get really silly and just now we learn that Yoda species has a chrysalis phase or something awful. (It doesn't feel like that kind of show, though.)

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Boba will be in this series and become the second lead and main rival. Best just accept it now that season 2 will be all about Boba vs the Mandalorian

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You can still have him learning to talk/communicate. Be more mobile, control his powers better. There's a lot you can within the timeline of the show.

He'll just always be small and cute, to go along with the faceless protagonist.This show is gonna be around for a LONG time.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
You can still have him learning to talk/communicate. Be more mobile, control his powers better. There's a lot you can within the timeline of the show.

He'll just always be small and cute, to go along with the faceless protagonist.This show is gonna be around for a LONG time.
Yup I can see them going for a while too. Especially with this format.

Oct 25, 2017
I am really loving it so far.
The semi self-contained short episodes with lower stakes is exactly what I want from a Star Wars side story.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
That was the worst episode so far in my opinion. It was just boring from start to finish. I'm beginning to wonder if this show knows where it is going.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Because he's a fugitive on the run from both the Empire and the bounty hunter's guild and Boba Fett is a bounty hunter hired to bring in people exactly like him?
Speaking of, it's kind of dumb that an Outer Rim world would have a singular, organized Bounty Hunter's Guild instead of multiple competing guilds.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Fan service wasn't as bad as some people lead me to believe, that said, the writing, especially the dialogue, felt a lot more flat to me this episode.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it is not Boba, but I am kind of expecting it now. If it is, I hope Mando makes him look like the joke he is.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yes I am sure notable bounty hunter Boba Fett

2ANgbg.gif

will defeat and take over The Mandalorian in a show called "The Mandalorian" lol

If Boba is ever resurrected, it will be to make Mando look cooler.

Also loved this episode, but what a way to waste Ming-Na Wen

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because he's a fugitive on the run from both the Empire and the bounty hunter's guild and Boba Fett is a bounty hunter hired to bring in people exactly like him?
I just expect Boba to maybe have a shift in who he is/what he does, after losing his armor and escaping the sarlacc. But I suppose he could just take up business, as usual--it would just be a little strange.

Also loved this episode, but what a way to waste Ming-Na Wen
Well, same for Amy Sedaris, who was literally a babysitter. I actually liked her character/performance (you don't cast Amy Sedaris for a small performance), it was just really limited.

This show needs more "moments" between characters. There hasn't really been any standout interactions/dialogue to me, outside of maybe Kuill & Werner Herzog in the first few episodes.

The noob bounty hunter literally said "Not too shabby, eh?" I mean, come on. The uneven acting made his segments feel more like a (sorry, I know it's almost cliche to say) fan/short film.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Boba Fett haters are boring people who don't realize he has objectively better feats then the Mando whose actions include getting beaten down by a shock trooper and nearly murdered by a mutated rhino until saved by a literal baby.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fun enough episode but Im not the biggest Dave Filoni fan and the weaker parts of this episode are good reasons why. Interesting ideas with very vanilla execution.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I feel like Boba Fett haters are boring people who don't realize he has objectively better feats then the Mando whose actions include getting beaten down by a shock trooper and nearly murdered by a mutated rhino until saved by a literal baby.

EU Boba is just a Gary Stu while canon Boba is just loser.

Losing and struggling makes your character interesting, a concept Disney Star Wars seems to have problems grasping

Oct 25, 2017
EU Boba is just a Gary Stu while canon Boba is just loser.

Losing and struggling makes your character interesting, a concept Disney Star Wars seems to have problems grasping
you're not talking about the same thing I'm talking about I'm talking about. I'm not discussing who's more interesting I'm talking about comparing on-screen canon feats between the characters, Fett is objectively better equipped and more successful at his goals.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think it all depends on the execution like everything else.

Maul's return was pretty controversial too but it turned out pretty well.

edit: yeah Ming Na was wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.