• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I get that they were doing an homage to Seven Samurai or Magnificent 7 with this episode, but I don't feel like they gave it a running length to do that properly. There's a lot going on with those movies, but they have running times that let their plots breath. That's not the case here, so by the time we get to the village, there's not enough time spent there to sufficiently sell the audience that much time has transpired in the village outside of a less than well done training montage. We never really see enough of the day to day in the village with Mando, and there isn't really any conflict set up due to their squad only consisting of 2 mercenaries instead of a menagerie of seven distinct individuals hailing from various subcultures. If you're going to do Seven Samurai, you should probably do it right.

I feel this episode might have worked better later on, perhaps after Mando has met other mercenaries and characters like the IG droid in the first episode, Carl Weathers and Nick Nolte's characters and convinces an entire crew to help him protect the village.

This was the first episode I felt a bit let down with the content.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
The show is a bit cliché at times, but usually it's so cool I don't really mind. This is the first time that things felt so rushed and they seemed to move from cliché to cliché that it bothered me. They should've perhaps cut some stuff to let it breathe. Still a decent episode though.

And for God sakes please. If you're saving a village from attackers, and you're defending the village together with the villagers, PLEASE come up with something other than "dig trenches here and build barricades there". You're (a) professional writer(s). Think of something better as this has been done to death.

Baby Yoda was, again, cute as all hell. That shot of Mando walking through the forest like a bad ass, and baby Yoda waddling alongside him was too cute.

Last edited:

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Nope, there was basically nothing between them lol

I think a lot of this is due to how short everything is. The longest episode still being under the standard runtime of dramatic tv shows hurts it greatly imo

They just have to go with a 1 hour format for season 2. There's just no other way. People are invested now and want this series to gets its justice.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I kept thinking I've seen this episode before. They did the exact same episode in TCW with the only difference being the ending. Not to mention countless other series which have had the same plot.. I only liked the parts character moments with Mando and Carano's character (and of course the short scenes with baby Yoda).

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What is the budget for this show? It seems very cheap for such a premier title.

Liking it so far. Give me feelings of samurai jack

What? Are you insane? It's the best looking show on TV, it looks straight from the films.

It's budget is the highest for any TV show ever, about $25 million per episode. Only GoT was hitting near those numbers in terms of budget in its final season. How does the show look cheap?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in here said something about rhe dialog feeling too contemporary in this and I think that's true lol

The woman barkeep in particular didn't feel like a character from a Star Wars movie. Her dialog and performance just didn't fit. Also the set design felt like SW Disneyland and not a authentic setting in a SW movie.

YES!

That character just felt so weird and wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but I cringe every time I watch that bit. She did not feel like a SW character, she felt like a Disneyland themepark "character" roleplaying as you pretend to order a space drink that is really just some mild, overly fruity alcohol beverage. I also don't think the set itself was wrong, it was the lighting. This episode was lit differently, but that seems intentional to contrast it with the other shady planets they just came from. This episode was far more colorful and bright than the past.

I don't think this show looks anywhere near as good as GoT.

You're right, it looks better.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
There is too much going on in each episode for a 30 to 40 minute episode. They've been on three planets now? They need to find a plot and stick with it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There is too much going on in each episode for a 30 to 40 minute episode. They've been on three planets now? They need to find a plot and stick with it.

Um, they have a plot. Protect Baby Yoda.

This is not going to be some heavy plot show. Baby Yoda is a great framing device to explore the SW universe and tell character stories.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the main problem i'm finding with the show and it's something i'm surprised so many sci fi/fantasy shows get right, considering how difficult it is, is how stilted or wooden some scenes can be with supporting characters. it's pretty hard to make this dialogue and setting feel "naturalistic" but as an actor, you gotta pull that off. I'm watching a lot of scenes and it's not necessarily the writing, though i think that has a part to play, but it's how the actors are delivering these lines. it's not natural enough and it comes off wooden often.

they're obviously going with a western style little dialogue stockiness but sometimes i kinda wish there was even less of the dialogue. Oddly enough, Pedro, who has to wear a helmet the entire time, is delivering the lines the best in the series. So, there's that.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You're friggin nuts lol
I agree with this. It's the cheapest looking high budget so I've seen.

Y'all are nuts.

GoT S1 with its cheap ass looking sets:

zX8wGEG.png

8IIikFW.png

jNUmSTo.png

Mando S1, looking straight like a film:

Bs8EHlf.png

q2dLKds.png

kWGD0jI.png

vespXjn.png

b7be5kv.png

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They both look good, GoT has the benefit of not having to render sci-fi stuff constantly.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I... don't think it is if they have similar budgets and those GoT shots are from like how many years ago?

Shall I post pictures from the final season of GoT which consists of the same three sets so they could save budget for the CGI battles? Mando is building new elaborate sets each week with new locations, tons of exterior shooting.

Oct 28, 2017
Shall I post pictures from the final season of GoT which consists of the same three sets so they could save budget for the CGI battles? Mando is building new elaborate sets each week with new locations, tons of exterior shooting.
Look, I get you hate GoT and think D&D are hacks. I think the sets in GoT and location shooting best anything I've seen from this show so far. I think Mando looks good but I have found most of the exteriors, like the planetary settings, to be generic and uninteresting. Also I'm really not interested in getting into a screenshot battle. You're entitled to your opinion.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I get you hate GoT and think D&D are hacks. I think the sets in GoT and location shooting best anything I've seen from this show so far. I think Mando looks good but I have found most of the exteriors, like the planetary settings, to be generic and uninteresting. Also I'm really not interested in getting into a screenshot battle. You're entitled to your opinion.

First, I don't hate GoT. I hate what D&D turned it into, but that's an entirely separate point with regards to its look. Second, whether you think a setting is "generic and uninteresting," is again a separate discussion as to whether it looks "cheap." Third, how else can you refute my point without posting screenshots fo supposed far better looking GoT scenes?

The final two seasons of GoT was almost laughable in how restrictive its set use was, everything happened in the same three sets so they could save money for the final battles. And, early season GoT was restricted to mostly interiors on a soundstage, not elaborate exterior shooting we're seeing in every Mando episode. I just want to see some example of the superior looking GoT shots. Mando is easily the most impressive looking show on TV.

the main problem i'm finding with the show and it's something i'm surprised so many sci fi/fantasy shows get right, considering how difficult it is, is how stilted or wooden some scenes can be with supporting characters. it's pretty hard to make this dialogue and setting feel "naturalistic" but as an actor, you gotta pull that off. I'm watching a lot of scenes and it's not necessarily the writing, though i think that has a part to play, but it's how the actors are delivering these lines. it's not natural enough and it comes off wooden often.

they're obviously going with a western style little dialogue stockiness but sometimes i kinda wish there was even less of the dialogue. Oddly enough, Pedro, who has to wear a helmet the entire time, is delivering the lines the best in the series. So, there's that.

Also gonna have to disagree here, I've found the majority of the performances to be natural. It was only this episode where things felt stilted. For one, Gina is just not great of an actor and so had difficulty pulling of certain lines, but I grade her on a curve and she did well enough. The bartender felt really weird. I get the two dudes that hired Mando is a Kuriosawa reference, but they also delivered their lines too corny. Basically, most of the performances felt off this episode and it could've done with less talking. Still, the rest of the show has been really great in terms of performance and dialogue.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this show doesn't handle digital photography quite as well the new movies. For the type of material it's riffing from, the cinematography feels to clean and clinical. The town exteriors look very good with nice sets but the interiors and landscape shots look odd.

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
As long as the Mandalorian doesn't blow up a planet because he lost his temper, I think we're good on the GoT comparisons.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that currently the thread is pretty mixed about the episode but the polls show that most enjoyed the episode.

edit: its not as positive as previous polls tho.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The whole making the AT-ST as a lethal unstoppable threat in this episode is undercut by the fact that we've already seen it taken out in Return of the Jedi.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
That was the weakest episode yet. Still, I thought it was more mediocre than outright bad. The show is playing too heavily on baby yoda's cuteness.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the Clone helmet inspiration way more noticeable from Mando's helmet design compared to Fett's or Bo-Katan/Sabine's.
the ridge on top, less flared bottom.
I notice it a lot every episode.
latest
latest

latest

Last edited:

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
What? Are you insane? It's the best looking show on TV, it looks straight from the films.

It's budget is the highest for any TV show ever, about $25 million per episode. Only GoT was hitting near those numbers in terms of budget in its final season. How does the show look cheap?
I don't know but it didn't seem that high budget to me. Like atst looked like it was lifted from clone wars. Same with last fight in episode. Everything felt so meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.