• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2017
The Mandalorian cult is by far the worse thing about this series. I mean, they would rather live in a populated area where they can't show themselves like real estate in the rest of the Galaxy is somehow in short supply.

It's an example of tech in SW being there for plot convenience, while in Star Trek it would be a central moral quandary, i.e. Data.
And comic relief

Last edited:

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Reading all these positive comments I'm definitely in the minority but I thought it was the weakest episode so far.

The action was inventive at times, but I liked the charm and comedy in the previous chapters and it was noticeably absent in this one. The dialogue also sounded clunkier than usual. "This is the way" didn't work for me (I loved Kuiil's "I have spoken"!) and the more they repeated it the more it grated.

The arrival of the other Mandalorians should have been rousing but fell quite flat. We'd barely spent two minutes with them and despite loving Ludwig's score so far, the music failed to elevate what was clearly supposed to be a big moment.

On the positive side getting more Werner was appreciated. Especially his reaction when the Mando inquired about the child. I would have left pretty swiftly as well. I did enjoy spending more time with the Armorer and the other Mando's too. Hopefully I enjoy Chapter 4 more.

I have pretty much the opposite opinion, I found this episode much better than the previous two it also had a good pacing though I agree the arrival of the Mandalorian cavalry could have been done a bit differently.
I'll say it again they should had made the first episode longer, meaning combining the first two episodes or release them both at the same time.

Dec 31, 2017
I have pretty much the opposite opinion, I found this episode much better than the previous two it also had a good pacing though I agree the arrival of the Mandalorian cavalry could have been done a bit differently.
I'll say it again they should had made the first episode longer, meaning combining the first two episodes or release them both at the same time.
30 minute weekly episodes is a shitty format

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was just thinking how much confidence it takes and how good it is the episodes are 30+ minutes long.

The pacing is excellent, I can't wait for the MCU shows.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still too short to me. Oh well, I guess I'll take it.

Not really excited for 30 minutes of Marvel shows, hopefully they are longer.

Back on topic, Ep 2 and 3 were fine. The "wow" factor from the first time is gone but I still enjoy it, some of the tells were a bit obvious but that's fine.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is me.

FB_IMG_1573749390426.jpg

You're not alone on that, I'm sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
So was that doctor telling the truth that he was trying to protect the baby, or just trying to save his ass? For some reason the way it was handled it felt like he might make a comeback as a spy.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So was that doctor telling the truth that he was trying to protect the baby, or just trying to save his ass? For some reason the way it was handled it felt like he might make a comeback as a spy.
Well we're not sure about his intentions, but he definitely wants to keep it alive. Remember in the first episode he gets angry when Herzog says they'd also accept a dead asset for a smaller fee ("that's not what we agreed on!")

Also it's interesting that the bounty droid got no instructions to keep it alive, he was told to just kill it outright

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So how do the tracking fobs work? How are they able to detect proximity to a specific target if the target hasn't been equipped with some type of transponder?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 was really solid. Dug the new armor and the shootout was great. I thought the effects.on the jet packs looked off, otherwise the Mandos coming out of hiding was great and baby Yoda continues to be the best thing in modern star wars. Nice seeing the super battle droids in the flashback to explain why he doesn't like droids.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So how do the tracking fobs work? How are they able to detect proximity to a specific target if the target hasn't been equipped with some type of transponder?
It has to be coded to the targets DNA or something. I can't imagine everyone has an implant otherwise you'd just have it removed and never worry about being tracked.

But then Luke should have been easy to find so maybe it's best to not pick it apart.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor wants the baby alive for sure. What his motives are is up in the air. He is wearing an Imperial uniform from the Clone Labs of Kamino.

Oct 25, 2017
We did a 3 episode watch last night with my wife and daughters who haven't seen it and I will say it flows much better as a series without the wait between episodes. But that's a very, very small nitpick. It is what it is and I appreciate it gives some time for the show to breathe otherwise.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Show is fun but there is nothing sweeping or epic I feel.

But that is fine. I like it for what it is. Guess the movies will be the epic/saga style adventures

Baby Yoda has shocked me. I cant even believe it's real and what impact it will have on the universe. Where is it in the sequel trilogy lol

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
30 minutes episode works on many amazing cartoon, anime and tokusatsu, not sure why it couldn't work on live action star wars

Because it feels like a live action cartoon. Those 12-14 missing minutes could have given us some solid character work and allowed us to learn about the characters. As it is now, The Mandalorian is a paper-thin cliche of a protagonist and rest of the cast is non existent. Which is fine for a cartoon focused on action/adventure, but makes it a pretty dull show (despite cool scenes).

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could openly discuss Baby Yoda in every Star Wars thread.

We could ease all the hostility in Star Wars discussions by having a picture of baby yoda at the top of every thread page with mantras like:

"We all love the Baby Yoda"

"The Baby Yoda doesn't want you to fight"

"Fighting makes the Baby Yoda sad"

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I wish we could openly discuss Baby Yoda in every Star Wars thread.

We could ease all the hostility in Star Wars discussions by having a picture of baby yoda at the top of every thread page with mantras like:

"We all love the Baby Yoda"

"The Baby Yoda doesn't want you to fight"

"Fighting makes the Baby Yoda sad"
That is The Way.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
30 minutes episode works on many amazing cartoon, anime and tokusatsu, not sure why it couldn't work on live action star wars
Not in this instance when you are trying give depth and substance to main and supporting characters. 30 minutes is for a fucking sitcom show not a mini-series with only 8 episodes.

It feels like a 15-minute short, got damnit! So just think, if this is what 110 million gets you for a Disney+ original. Imagine the episode runtime of the Obi Wan and the Marvel shows. Tragic....

Because it feels like a live action cartoon. Those 12-14 missing minutes could have given us some solid character work and allowed us to learn about the characters. As it is now, The Mandalorian is a paper-thin cliche of a protagonist and rest of the cast is non existent. Which is fine for a cartoon focused on action/adventure, but makes it a pretty dull show (despite cool scenes).

Exactly. Is the teade off to binge watching?? If this is the norm for Disney+ originals then I dont see any reason to bash netflix.

Last edited:

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That scene when he went to grab the thruster joystick and found the ball unscrewed.....

The Feels.... and then to end the episode with Baby Yoda playing with that ball.

So good.....

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm generally enjoying this show, I feel like it says a lot about Star Wars fandom that a 30 minute live action cartoon about a dude with a Boba Fett helmet that barely speaks, doesn't do anything but shoot people, has no character development of any kind, and no supporting cast is considered "real Star Wars" and "the best thing since the OT" and all these other exaggerated praises.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I'm generally enjoying this show, I feel like it says a lot about Star Wars fandom that a 30 minute live action cartoon about a dude with a Boba Fett helmet that barely speaks, doesn't do anything but shoot people, has no character development of any kind, and no supporting cast is considered "real Star Wars" and "the best thing since the OT" and all these other exaggerated praises.

Exactly. This is what we want...

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is my favorite thing since the OT and I don't give a damn if people think it is exaggerated, I like what I like.

Though I'm not a SW "fan", I mostly just watched the movies, nothing from the EU / comics / etc.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The Mandalorian cult is by far the worse thing about this series. I mean, they would rather live in a populated area where they can't show themselves like real estate in the rest of the Galaxy is somehow in short supply.

? They are in an outer rim planet settlement, it's a town on the edge of the galaxy, not big. They have nothing to hide anymore either as the Empire is gone, they are just surviving as a group disposed from their homeland.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love how he gives the little thruster ball to the baby at the end, he cares about Yondu it's so obvious! No character development my ass.

I'm Mary Poppins y'all.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has no character development of any kind, and no supporting cast

c'mon, the above is not true at all

Turnbl said:
To be fair if they were able to make a working hover pram with baby Yoda, they would win Christmas forever
i could see a mini desk version using magnets, like those floating globes. that will happen for sure

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, we're three episodes in. I feel like a lot of these criticisms might be resolved by the time the season is over. I also think people are just excited for a new live-action show and aren't yet able to look at it objectively. Give people some time to really digest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.