• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I feel it's sorta average since: I don't have much reason to feel for/care about the mc, dialogue is kinda bad at times, plot is not that special on its own. Might care about it more if it was more emotionally/circumstantially tied to the character or somethin.

The good: Cinematography/visuals, the droid character at the end and their banter. (I expect this droid to come back but we'll see), the world in general.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
This was the best thing ever, Im so happy reminds me of shadows of the empire game badassness haha

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Overall, I think it's a pretty great start!

The costumes, set design, and VFX were impressive for a TV show. I noticed Favreau brought aboard Sarah Halley Finn (most known for her MCU casting work and whom I believe has worked with Favreau before and been with the MCU since IM1) which is a pretty huge get imo. Filoni was on more often than not. I think the opening catina fight and the standoff with the IG droid at the end were great. My main gripe was that the music felt the most hit or miss for me, not even just that it didn't feel "Star Wars enough", but that some songs just felt underwhelming yet it was still in the foreground like a John Williams' score. In general it was fine, but I definitely was oscillating between being onboard with the musical choice to disliking it more strongly than i expected.

For a live action Star Wars TV show, it pretty much surpasses my expectations, similar to how I had wanted other franchises starting as films to make the transition to the small screen. The IG droid moved pretty much how i expected a weird stiff looking droid to move and it worked great. I was giggling just at how well they nailed it.

I'm sold and ready for more.

Jun 23, 2019
Whoa! That was a lot better than I was expecting. It was almost movie quality and that ending made me jump out of my seat. Can't wait for the next episode.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Great news, 12-year-old me: you're getting that badass Tales of the Bounty Hunters series you're dying to see.

Bad news: it'll be a looooong wait.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
A solid start in my opinion. The beginning scene was a bit off (maybe the music?), but it clicked from then on, and I chuckled at the Life Day reference and really liked IG-11. One hell of a twist at the end, too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imagine watching this show and thinking it feels fanmade.

Thank goodness that ain't me.
I didn't think anything felt fan made, and I need to watch again. I often am a late bloomer when it comes to enjoying SW stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if I become won over by mid/end of this season.

That said, that opening scene in the bar was pretty bland. There are a million ways the brawl could have escalated, and spilling a drink is just kinda lame. It would have been cool if maybe he took offense to seeing who he was when he walked in, or maybe challenging him to knock him down a peg.

Just one example of how the writing kinda falters from time to time. And the stuff with blue dude in the beginning felt wayyy too silly.

Like I said, I'm gunna watch again and am still excited to see where it goes.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Enjoyed the episode overall but it's not without some issues.

The good:
- Solid visual style. Cinematography was so-so but the costumes, effects, color pallette, sets, etc. were all on point.
- Intriguing ending that should delight SW fans of any level.

The bad:
- The main character is bland and uninteresting. They have taken a huge risk in going with a masked main character. I'm sure there will be a dramatic unmasking eventually though.
- 38 minute episode in a $120m budget show is weak. Numerous scenes could have benefited from more context, some additional dialogue, or just some slow burn to provide some sort of emotional depth to our somewhat lifeless hero.
- The riding trainer alien scene felt completely pointless -- did I miss something? I guess he needed to ride one of those creatures to get to the bounty location but the reasoning for this is not given. There is nothing interesting or dangerous feeling about the planet. The terrain they pass over is slightly cracked but looked like it could be jumped over not to mention Mando has a spaceship he can fly to a different part of the planet. Weakest part of the episode.

The desire to link new characters to old ones in some way is the thing I loathe the most about SW.

Yeah this is consistently the biggest problem with new SW productions. It makes the universe feel incredibly small because it is frequently limited to already established characters and ideas. Show us more new shit.

Dec 12, 2017
I didn't think anything felt fan made, and I need to watch again. I often am a late bloomer when it comes to enjoying SW stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if I become won over by mid/end of this season.

That said, that opening scene in the bar was pretty bland. There are a million ways the brawl could have escalated, and spilling a drink is just kinda lame. It would have been cool if maybe he took offense to seeing who he was when he walked in, or maybe challenging him to knock him down a peg.

Just one example of how the writing kinda falters from time to time. And the stuff with blue dude in the beginning felt wayyy too silly.

I think the juxtaposition of Blue guy and The Mandalorian's demeanor is what sold that from being cringey to being fun. It only works BECAUSE they are so diametrically opposed.

That blue guy was clearly a bullshitter that was used to eventually squeezing his way out of all kinds of scrapes.

The Mandalorian wasn't falling for any of it and let him walk himself into his own carbonite freezing.

I thought it was great.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That was a very entertaining watch, visually fantastic, nice music and tone, good ending hook and that droid was badass as fuck.

GIVE ME MY GODDAMN SPACE BOUNTY HUNTER GAME DISNEY!!!!! >:(

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the juxtaposition of Blue guy and The Mandalorian's demeanor is what sold that from being cringey to being fun. It only works BECAUSE they are so diametrically opposed.

That blue guy was clearly a bullshitter that was used to eventually squeezing his way out of all kinds of scrapes.

The Mandalorian wasn't falling for any of it and let him walk himself into his own carbonite freezing.

I thought it was great.
I think part of it was that his appearance didn't seem to fit his personality. Would have just worked better if he were human. Or give him subtitles if they're gunna keep him alien. Or some kind of accent.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was fun. Excited to see where it goes.

I don't think the bar guy was actually mad about his drink. I think he was posturing and asserting dominance and the drink was just the excuse he was using.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
First episode knocked my socks off.
1. I wish there was a full fledged opening title sequence
2. I was hoping IG-11 would stick around.
They kind of allude to him possibly still being alive in the scene before when he says that the blaster didn't hit his central wiring. Who knows where that's located, it might not be in his head

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what if he's yoda and yaddle's son lmfao

a86d829d-4393-4917-aqwkxb.jpeg

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great environments, interesting characters, cool fights.
I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to future episodes.

I have spoken.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That was fun. Excited to see where it goes.

I don't think the bar guy was actually mad about his drink. I think he was posturing and asserting dominance and the drink was just the excuse he was using.
Yeah, could be, as he called him "Mando" and examined his armor, though the execution of the scene itself could have been a lot more tense and engaging. He just kinda came off as an annoying asshole that needed to get smacked by Mando.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to wait until Friday but couldn't lol. Episode was really good, looks like it'll be a great series.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, could be, as he called him "Mando" and examined his armor, though the execution of the scene itself could have been a lot more tense and engaging. He just kinda came off as an annoying asshole that needed to get smacked by Mando.
It's a (Star Wars) western. Such moments are always posturing

Dec 12, 2017
Man, STFU dude.
If you're gonna talk shit about my impressions, then quote them directly. Miss me with the passive-aggressive bullshit
No one even quoted you, pal. Lots of folks posted in this thread. Not every post of mine is about you...shocking, I know.

Also, I guess that Ignore function is malfunctioning for you again. 🤔
Consider this...what if Blue Guy is the embodiment of certain parts of the fanbase, complete with name dropping 'Life Day' and all other sorts of musings. And The Mandalorian is symbolically taking them in for bounty. 🤭

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The only thing I hated was that it wasn't longer. Goddamn my body is ready for Episode 2.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm sure it would have gone down exactly the same way if no drink was spilled. Frontier fools love poking at the badass gunslinger for some reason
My point is there's no need to preface the conflict with a randomly spilled drink, it waters down the tension. If some random guy walked in and spilled his drink, the conflict would have gone down more or less the same way except random dude probably would have gotten his ass kicked.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thought it was great, really enjoyed it. Production value is through the roof for a TV show, pretty much on par with the movies, seems they spared no expense.

I'm all in for the rest of this season and hopefully many more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.