• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Overall though I have to say I came away slightly underwhelmed. The visuals were great but the script was super basic and something about it struck me the wrong way. I think it was maybe the pacing? 39 minutes is fine for a regular episode (I would loathe for this to have a ton of filler like the Netflix Marvel series) but much too short for the first episode of the first ever live action Star Wars series. I think something approaching feature length (like 75 minutes) would have been better to set the stage and then maybe have 30-40 minute episodes after that (if they're going for a sort of Saturday morning cartoon vibe, then 30 minutes would be kinda perfect). As it is, it felt rushed.

As for the ending, if they're going for a
Lone Wolf & Cub
vibe then that could be cool, but given the sillier than expected tone, I could see it getting dumb really quick.
I'm imagining a baby yoda puppet bouncing around the screen taking out bad guys like a force wielding Jack-Jack and I want to die

I'm cautiously excited to see where they take it from here.

Jul 4, 2018
Pretty damn good start and we got two major Mythosaur references that I was not expecting this early in the show. The whole Mando clan scene was probably the thing that has me the most intrigued going forward. Hope IG-11 come back in some form.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Did anyone else think that one scene of the lead character and nick noltes character riding their beasts side by side looked really wonky/bad cg?

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
First episode was good, albeit goofier than anticipated. CG was pretty rough looking, but I enjoyed the shootout choreography. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I honestly don't understand the "goofier than expected" complaints.

...it's Star Wars. It ALWAYS has a goofy-fun aspect.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it was fun but I agree the pacing was a bit off, the episode should have been longer either 50-60 mins or as someone earlier said a 1-2 hour pilot.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I liked it. Good action and decent budget for TV.

That said, there was a lot of o.m.i.n.o.u.s walking for such a short episode. And the tone of that kinda clashed with a lot of the goofiness.A lot of cliches in the story and scenario so far.

Visual style is good. Some of the jank and unpolished feeling reminded me of the old movies so it worked.

Music was phenomenal.

I do hope he takes off the damned helmet some.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Are there any huge revelations in this episode that warranted not allowing reviews? That was the excuse they used, but I'm not buying it.

Just looking for a yes or no answer. Thanks.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It was short, but I enjoyed it. It kept the story moving.
Lots of great world building.
Good pilot.

I have spoken

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
He has my favourite design in any medium, but RotJ was pretty clear what was going to happen when the Sarlacc gets you. I would hate it if they brought him back for fan service.
I agree, it would be really ham fisted fan service if they brought him back

Great first episode though. That ending is very peculiar

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I agree, it would be really ham fisted fan service if they brought him back

Great first episode though. That ending is very peculiar
Yeah, I've binged a lot of shows over the last few years and The Mandalorian easily has one of the best first episode. It sets the mood very well even though there was like one walking scene too many when you look at the lenght of the episode.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
It was ok, but I hope it gets better. What I didn't like:

- Ok this may sound weird, but imo it looks a bit strange when he's walking, kind of stiff? Maybe it's because of the helmet or because he is moving rather slowly, idk.

- He doesn't seem that badass. How he operates... it's all kind of goofy. The way he got surprised by the blurrgs was amateur hour. The last, big fight was also silly.

- Story doesn't seem special:
Let me guess. The kid reminds him of his own past, he gets hunted by Imperials / other bounty hunters, and discovers his "good" side or some shit. Yawn.

12-year-old me would have liked that show, but I'm not 12 anymore. There was nothing that I haven't seen before.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not imagining things that both the Blurgs and IG-whathisface, are animated jerky on purpose to give it that stop motion look. Right ?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back on topic, the show seemed slow but short at the same time. All those walks would be better in a full hour / 2 episodes premiere.

I liked it, the humor caught me off guard but not in a bad way.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
The 36 mins runtime if you cut out credits was a bit disappointing but man the first ep was great. A lot more comedy than I expected.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good episode, I give it 9/10 reputation points (one point off for length, which considering that the second episode is dropping Friday, could have been stretched by combing episode 1 and 2 for launch day).

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I enjoy almost everything Star Wars so my critical opinion won't matter much, but I thought the first episode was really solid. I didn't mind the walking and slow scenes because the whole premise reminds me of a western, which I do enjoy a lot. It also probably helps that the bounty hunting stuff is one of the aspects of Star Wars that interests me the most.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found a way to watch.

Overall I liked it! The show looks like a movie, and the cliffhanger was great, although when I was searching for a way to watch I had it spoiled for me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.