• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
If you do want to watch more of TCW, I'd actually advise to follow this guide instead:

fqSCqkb5bQwOcyU1BOl76LXpCwoP1cj1VCqx4FgzuE4.jpg

Just make sure you include all of the "Honorable Mentions" in your watch along with what is actually highlighted.

The reason being... this series does have its fair share of actual bad/stinker episodes and the vast majority of the episodes not highlighted as "required" or "honorable mention" on this list fall in that category.

If you follow the chronological list, especially, you end up seeing quite a lot of stink (Especially that pilot movie) before you get to anything decent.
I despise orders like this. It acts like the plot is the only factor to understand the show. Those other episodes weren't just filler. They were character development where they learned lessons.

If someone wants to watch TCW, do it right and watch it from beginning to end. It's worth it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I despise orders like this. It acts like the plot is the only factor to understand the show. Those other episodes weren't just filler. They were character development where they learned lessons.

If someone wants to watch TCW, do it right and watch it from beginning to end. It's worth it.
On one hand I agree with you. On the other hand TCW Season 1 is so dull and I never even started 2 because of it even though I know it gets better as it goes on.

Dec 12, 2017

The poster was responding to me and I found it very helpful if it helps me avoid wastes of my time.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I completely disagree. Like it or not, the first couple seasons of the show were plagued with a lot of really stupid very kid-targeted episodes that the show very much grew out of as it went along. But a lot of that stuff is very up front, especially with the movie about Jabba's little nephew stinky on top of it. Literally nothing of value is lost by the episodes that are excluded from that guide. We don't need to know what happens with Jabba's baby nephew Stinky, or Jar Jar, or droids wandering around doing nothing, or whatever else is excluded.

Are there a small handful that are excluded, but still alright? Yeah, I'd say so. But they still don't really impact anything.

Pretty much everything directly involving the Clones, Mandalore, Maul, Anakin's descent, Ahsoka, the Nightsisters, Obi-Wan, and everything else of importance is included in the guide's recommendations. There are no major plotlines skipped. The only thing you need to know (if you skip the pilot movie) is that Anakin gets an apprentice named Ahsoka. That's literally it.

I would much rather someone actually get into the show and enjoy it rather than be alienated by really stupid and bad episodes and not actually "get to the good stuff". Like I said before, anything that is skipped can always be returned to later if they really dig the show. That is one of the benefits of it being an anthology format.

Oct 31, 2017
This looked damn good on MNF.

What's this I'm seeing about watching CW and Rebels before Mando? I tried to watch CW once and I didn't like the animation at all, so I gave up quickly.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope they have the balls not to cut away from the door kill in the actual episode.

This looked damn good on MNF.

What's this I'm seeing about watching CW and Rebels before Mando? I tried to watch CW once and I didn't like the animation at all, so I gave up quickly.
If you can't deal with the animation style, then that's that -- but Mandalore is essentially a main/central plot thread of TCW, which was showrun by Dave Filoni, who is an EP/Director/Writer on this show. Thus, it may be continuing plot threads from TCW. (TCW is also just good).

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
A "you spilled my drink scene"? Really? Other than that, production values seem high. Bring it on.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say there's at least a 90% chance various things like Bo-Katan, the darksaber, Maul and the Shadow Collective, etc are namedropped at some point in the season, but whether it's just an easter egg or something that actually goes deeper is unknown.

Regardless, I'm sure they'll provide at least some context so you're not totally lost.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a good quick recap in the OT but I figured I'd list out a somewhat more detailed rundown of anything from the Clone Wars, Rebels, and the rest of the new canon that may or may not have any relevance to this show. With Filoni's involvement and the level of connectivity in the new canon, you can never be sure.

Ancient history
  • The Mandalorians come into conflict with the Jedi for many years
  • Mandalore is wracked by centuries of war between different clans and becomes a desolate wasteland
  • Clan Vizsla steals the darksaber, a unique-looking black lightsaber that was used by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian Jedi
Events of Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • Duchess Satine Kryze, an old flame of Obi-Wan Kenobi, manages to unite the clans of Mandalore under a new pact of nonviolence and refuses to join the Clone Wars on either side
  • Death Watch, a Mandalorian terrorist group run by Pre Vizsla, makes attempts on Satine's life
  • Vizsla meets Darth Maul and his brother Savage Opress and forms an alliance with them to overthrow Satine and conquer Mandalore
  • After overthrowing Satine, Vizsla refuses to turn Mandalore over to a foreigner. Maul kills him in combat and claims the darksaber and control of Mandalore. Satine's sister, Death Watch member Bo-Katan Kryze, refuses to support him and leaves to get help
  • Obi-Wan is lured to Mandalore by Maul and forced to watch him execute Satine. He remains true to the light side and does not take vengeance and instead flees
  • Sheev "The Senate" "Frank" "Darth Sidious" Palpatine comes to Mandalore, kills Savage, and takes Maul hostage
  • Maul escapes with the help of his men and returns to Mandalore. In the final days of the war, Ahsoka Tano leads a strike force to liberate the planet. Before she can take Maul into custody, Order 66 occurs, she is forced to fake her death, and the Empire occupies Mandalore
Events of Star Wars Rebels
  • Sabine Wren, a weapons expert from Clan Wren, rebels against her family and the Empire and joins the crew of the Ghost, a small Rebel cell based out of Lothal
  • Civil war erupts between Mandalorian clans loyal to the Empire and those that want to overthrow it. Fenn Rau, leader of the Protectors of Concord Dawn, recruits Sabine to defeat Gar Saxon, the Imperial-appointed Mandalorian dictator, and claim the darksaber for herself
  • The crew of the Ghost help the Mandalorians destroy a superweapon, leading to open warfare against the Empire on the planet. Sabine gives Bo-Katan the darksaber and she becomes the new leader of Mandalore
Events immediately following Return of the Jedi
  • The Empire falls under the leadership of Gallius Rax, a protege of Palpatine who begins secretly enacting a contingency to destroy and reform the remnants of the Empire
  • The Rebel forces ally with Rae Sloane, a high-ranking Imperial officer who refuses to collaborate with Rax's plan
  • Rax enacts his final plot at Jakku, where the Rebels and Empire have both been lured into a trap where he plans to destroy the entire planet and both forces. Sloane and the Rebels defeat him
  • Sloane takes the Imperial remnants into the Unknown Regions, where they are reformed into the First Order
  • The Imperial remnants left in the civilized galaxy sign a Galactic Concordence in which they surrender and recognize the authority of the New Republic
  • Ahsoka recruits Sabine to help find Ezra Bridger, who disappeared into the void of hyperspace four years earlier
Thank you.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
It felt Like a parady. That clip was so fucking awful lol. Iike a c tier snl sketch of "a Western movie"
It was a bad scene, but it was probably an easy one to fit into the limited amount of time they had. Hopefully not indicative of the writing for the rest of the series.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree the clip wasn't very good. But I also think they're intentionally hiding just about everything about this show, so we'll see what the episode is actually like. I'm still optimistic.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I dig it, cliche premise excepted. The footage they showed at D23 was more promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.