• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I think it comes down to people expecting a drama and instead getting a western action-adventure show. This is also partly on Disney for not properly communicating this ahead of time.
I thought it would be like "a serious Star Wars" kind of thing. As someone who just started into the franchise this year and kinda liked it, I wasn't really interested in The Mandalorian.

Just gotta wait until fucking 2030 when Disney deems my country worthy to stream it, though.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Whether people intended it or not, one cogent point is that an average video game has pacing that's more on par with an episodic television show than a film. That's part of the reason why they struggle with dialogue. The sheer amount of it that's required is daunting.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
How easy is this to get into if I know absolutely nothing about Star Wars and have no interest in the universe?

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
The show does feel like it's the love child of KOTOR and Final Fantasy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not a bad thing, yo.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I do remember laughing at the blatant fetch quest and mini boss fight in Ep. 2.

The real problem for me was - the show has yet to make me care about anything in this universe, except for maybe some background info on the baby. This show has had some blatant "Big fucking hero" moments that literally felt flat to me. So in that regard I'm not surprised to see others boil down the show into its brass parts over maybe some other rigidly structured narratives that get overlooked.

We tend to tear down what we're really not enamoured with. I won't tear down the show, but I am a little cold. And the short episodes bearing out this plodding narrative don't help.

Oct 25, 2017
Into Space you go!!
Such a fun game.
My favorite MMO of all time,
actually felt like a true world compared to others "themeparks"

Also the fact that early on there weren't a million Jedi/Mandalorians/etc running around so when you actually ran into them it felt a bit special.

I still find myself going back and listening to the BGM often

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How easy is this to get into if I know absolutely nothing about Star Wars and have no interest in the universe?
Extremely easy. I don't think there's another canon show or movie that's less dependent on lore/background knowledge of the universe. That said, I don't know where they're willing to go in that regard as the show progresses.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

All you would have to know is that this is set after Return of the Jedi. The Empire has been defeated and there are only shambles of people remaining from the Empire trying to scrounge into some power.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
mission09_06.jpg

StriderHiryu

Oct 28, 2017
It definitely does feel like a video game, but I think it works well for the show. Given that each episode is only 30 minutes long (if that), each episode needs to have a fairly simple structure to it, so it can have closure of some kind, and the video game style NPC fetch quest feeling works really well in doing this.

The Mandalorian is never going to win any awards for incredible dialogue or thought provoking story lines, but so far it's absolutely nailed the feeling of the original Star Wars films for me. I am not the biggest fan of the IP these days and personally did not enjoy any of the new movies they have put out over the last few years. In fact I only watched this show on a whim when bored with a friend. But it really took me by surprise and hooked me in. It will be interesting to see where Disney take it.

Oct 2, 2018
I did think that. There's hardly any plot and it's episodes of misc action. It's been 1.5 hours and what's happened so far?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 felt very JRPG-esque where, after you complete an objective in the story, something throws a wrench in your plans and you have to go out of your way to do something not related just to get back on track.

Everything's clear sailing then, OH SHIT, Jawas stole a bunch of shit from my ship. Now I have to go get them back, but they tell me, "We'll give them back if you go travel to this cave and obtain this special item for us!". I travel to the cave to get the item, have a boss battle, then give the item to the Jawas and they give back pieces of my ship. I fix the ship and continue on to my adventure.

It would be like if, in FF, you just got back saving the Wind Crystal, but notice your airship was stolen by sky pirates. You hear the sky pirates hang out at this one pub in this one city and when you meet with them, they say they'll give you back your airship if you go to the Deep Mines to obtain some Adamant for them. You enter the mines and fight a Golem boss, then give the Adamant to the sky pirates, get your airship back, and finally can go off to find the next crystal.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Episode 4 had an "infiltrate the bandit camp mission" and then "defend the village" mission

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 4 had an "infiltrate the bandit camp mission" and then "defend the village" mission
Dev voice:In this mission we're infiltrating a bandit camp to protect the nearby village. We could go in guns blazing to fight all of the bandits head on, but the enemy has an AT-ST at their disposable, which might be a bit too difficult with our current gear. So let's go with the stealthy route for now.

*insert nice camera pan here*

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Ep 4 was kinda like a random but more stylized and epic episode of Stargate. If I had watched this Saturday afternoon instead of Friday night, I think it would have completed the effect for me.

Anyways, less videogamey than the previous two at least.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I said the same to friends, and I meant it in the best way possible. Seeing people here so offended by the idea is hilarious.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just slap an UI in there and you got a PS6 launch game.

Char

Dec 9, 2017
I'm legitimately curious if The Mandalorian is just the script for Star Wars: 1313 re-worked to be a show after the game got canceled.
I think only certain concepts survived into this show (desert biomes as the main introductory chapter, droid bounty hunter character) as it looks like they took some inspiration from 1313's concept art while the story specifics are very different:
5-sanitizedjpg-883972.jpg

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
People acting like this show is a fucking masterpiece and getting offended it's being compared to a video-game is uh...

Those last few movies really must have fucked you guys over.

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned this in the Star Wars OT but I really wish Ubisoft could get the license and make a bounty hunter-ish game based on Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
crashland on a planet like Tatooine, do local missions in a small village and eventually get a mount like a Blurrg or Dewback that lets you explore a larger area.
work your way up to a speeder(replaces AC boat tier) that allows you around the entire "planet".
Endgame is a ship that allows you to do linear "raid" style missions on that planet, nearby planets and it's moons.
Year 2 brings in a new open world map.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this is good. So far the execution of the episode specific plots has been somewhat cliched, with the only intrigue being from the baby yoda thread. It doesn't help that it has a main character whose charisma starts and ends with his costume.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm enjoying the show but it really is just a SciFi Spaghetti Western midnight movie turned into a series. Which isn't a bad thing IMO. But man it definitely is a video game and one I'd both love to play and am pretty sure have already played.