• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The next episode he just grinds and kills Jawas for half an hour.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 1 feels like an MMO with the guild and getting a side quest to further the main quest.

Chapter 2 feels like an Uncharted moment mixed in with a little Dark Souls.

Chapter 3 is basically more MMO, some Metal Gear and finally Call of Duty.

Oct 30, 2017
Don't forget it has very emergent gameplay in that Mando's decision
to rescue Baby Yoda
is likely to unlock one of multiple possible endings.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Turning his money into Armor was fine the first time, silly the second. If the spacing between getting the weapon upgrade or mastering the space cow etc had been better it would be more believable. It's a dumb cheesy B tier show but enjoyable enough to keep watching.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was actually commenting to my roommate during the last episode that it felt like an EA game's cutscenes during some of the dialogue. It reminded me of NPCs telling all the details to a (mostly) silent protagonist. Show is fun/fun to look at, but I don't think we can expect very good or great writing from it.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Get Your Quests from NPCs

the-mandalorian-episode-3-carl-weathers.jpg

"Did you find that stew I asked about?"

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I am waiting for the Helmet new skin unlock with +10 protection. You can tell that Helmet is basic lvl 1 with none of the pre-order skins.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking there was something off about the vibe of the show and this really does nail it. John Wick does the same thing in that it feels like its Goldeneye (the game) to a larger James Bond movie series.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying starwars 1313, it's weird how they split it up between a TV show and a video game and just stripped parts of it out to other things

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I consider this article to be an abject failure. For all the RPG trappings it notes, it doesn't once mention the actual video game tech used in the show, UE4:

Favreau is already using a game engine developed by "Fortnite" creator Epic Games to create the digital backgrounds for Disney's upcoming "Star Wars" television series "The Mandalorian," a much-anticipated project he's making for Disney+, the company's key subscription service set to launch in November. The use of Epic's technology allows the company to render the visual effects faster than would normally be possible for a live-action series.

"The underlying technology is very flexible and robust and can be applied to a variety of challenges," Favreau said. "It allows me to scale my involvement with the project
."

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

sgfa1pmsgvz21.jpg

When does he get to rescue a princess?
(if we find out the baby is Yoda species royalty....)

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this halfway through episode 2 when it was just a long ass mini-boss fight against some monster.

No one's saying this is a bad thing though. It's just that when you look at the narrative structure, it absolutely resembles how videogames play.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I mean, yeah. It was so obvious, I knew I wasn't the only one thinking it while watching.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Interesting take, and I can't say I disagree, on a conceptual basis. After watching episode 3, I had this odd feeling regarding the pacing and story progression in the show. While I've been highly entertained through 3 episodes, it doesn't seem like much has even happened considering the time allotted.

I think this is also affected by the fact that the protagonist is essentially nameless and faceless, which makes any character growth feel less impactful thus far.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My son said the exact same thing. We're both loving it though. Not everything has to be super deep. Just keep it entertaining

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed that too while watching it, oddly enough. 35+ age here btw, so clearly seeing that structure isn't a generation thing.

That said, obviously video games have almost always tried to copy movies for "it be art now" legitimacy reasons. What's weirder is that Medal of Honor was really blatant about it (literally taking entire setpieces from movies), yet the earliest 'cinematic' game in my mind is Half-Life, which came out earlier.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had this odd feeling regarding the pacing and story progression in the show. While I've been highly entertained through 3 episodes, it doesn't seem like much has even happened
It doesn't feel like much has happened because not much has happened.

It's like popcorn entertainment at best. Not much of a plot to follow. But... I don't know, it's ok.

I love the music.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Climbing a wall?

Yeah, you can break basically any narrative down like this. "Wow, the story follows one character the entire time, this is just like a video game!"
Nobody is cracking a code here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

more at the link. I was thinking this when watching the show, too-especially the incremental armor upgrades.

More than you realize OP. And I say that in a literal sense.

All of the previz was done in Unreal Engine 4.

And some of the background shots ended up not being SFX post renders, but real time UE4 output displayed onto LCD walls.

In short, if you have watched the Mandalorian, a good chunk of the background effects are real time Unreal Engine.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It's Polygon, so I get it, but it still seems weird to codify it as being like a video game when these things are classic fictional storytelling beats meant to signify progression of the character(s). I read a lot of Sci Fi and Fantasy novels, so for me I didn't immediately make the video game comparison... it just came across as normal moments of progression of the character throughout the story.