• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With the current political climate of what Trump's doing... I looked back to this day December 23rd, 1783... as the American Revolution had ended... George Washington could've made himself the King of the United States... but instead... he went to congress, turned his commission and returned to private life.

Happy in the confirmation of our Independence and Sovereignty, and pleased with the opportunity afforded the United States of becoming a respectable Nation, I resign with satisfaction the Appointment I accepted with diffidence.

I consider it an indispensable duty to close this last solemn act of my Official life, by commending the Interests of our dearest Country to the protection of Almighty God, and those who have the superintendence of them, to his holy keeping.

Having now finished the work assigned me, I retire from the great theatre of Action; and bidding an Affectionate farewell to this August body under whose orders I have so long acted, I here offer my Commission, and take my leave of all the employments of public life.

Like.. I know people here like to say Washington was a slave owner, (He was) but in this moment... you can't help but respect what he did. How many people in this position would grab power? Trump... he would've absolutely made himself a King.

My history teacher said it best: "I think George Washington stands in history as the first man to be offered power but walked away from it."

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would it have really gone that smoothly for him if he decided to make himself king? i bet a bunch of the people who helped with the war effort would have had a thing or two to say about that.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh wasn't george washington inspired by that roman general who gave back emergency powers instead of caesaring it up or is that guy not real?
Yeah, Cincinnatus. Cincinnati is even named after an organization named after him in the war's aftermath.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
My history teacher said it best: "I think George Washington stands in history as the first man to be offered power but walked away from it."

Your history teacher was wrong, just to give one example relating to American history, the roman statesman lucius quintus cincinnatus, as he was someone whom Washington was often compared to.

Realistically seeing himself up as a king without have gone down well.

Washington was a cunt.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's more complicent than most in the founding of the worst country in human history, no one should respect him.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even putting aside that he didn't look to seize power, Washington could've kept running for President...and winning.

Winning until his death.

That would've been a very bad precedent.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They say, George Washington's yielding his power and stepping away.
Is that true?
I wasn't aware that was something a person could do.
I'm perplexed.
Are they going to keep on replacing whoever's in charge?
If so, who's next?
There's nobody else in their country who looms quite as large.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh wasn't george washington inspired by that roman general who gave back emergency powers instead of caesaring it up or is that guy not real?

Sulla? Sulla existed. He also proscribed vast swathes of his political enemies and had them killed, so... idk lol

Yeah, Cincinnatus. Cincinnati is even named after an organization named after him in the war's aftermath.

Oh, this one I didn't know about. Lots of Romans wanted to preserve their dignitas I guess lmao.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
They say, George Washington's yielding his power and stepping away.
Is that true?
I wasn't aware that was something a person could do.
I'm perplexed.
Are they going to keep on replacing whoever's in charge?
If so, who's next?
There's nobody else in their country who looms quite as large.

John Adams?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, despite his character misgivings regarding slavery. Like, the dude straight up balked at the idea of arming free blacks. It's still impressive how he willingly gave up power. He didn't even need to crown himself King, he could've just kept running and winning. Further, he established the precedent of being simply called Mr. President, and nothing more. This was at the time when others urged the President should have a more regal title to be able to compare with the European powers. But Washington is just like, "nah, we're not doing that. The most powerful position in our government is just Mr. President."

And then he leaves office deriding and warning against the rise of political parties. If only people listened.

But, as others have mentioned Cincinnatus was known long before Washington and whom he was often compared to.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
The fact you gotta point to someone that was around close to 2000 years prior to Washington as the precedent demonstrates how truly remarkable this was. This move undoubtedly had a huge influence in the development of the modern republic.

And yes, he also did some heinous shit as people have already pointed out. But the real world doesn't work on some binary scale. Negative points don't somehow erase the positive. To pretend otherwise is anti-intellectual imo.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Adams?!
I know him
That can't be
That's that little guy who spoke to me
All those years ago
What was it, eighty-five?
That poor man, they're gonna eat him alive!
Oceans rise
Empires fall
Next to Washington, they all look small
All alone
Watch them run
They will tear each other into pieces
Jesus Christ, this will be fun!

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to take that as an exaggeration for effect. History's a lot bigger than America.

I don't think George Washington was the first person to do this, but I do believe that the 1800 election (when Thomas Jefferson won and the Democratic-Republicans took power from the Federalists) was the first time power transferred from one party to another peacefully. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
ACIII_DLC_KingGeorgeWashington.jpg