• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
PC Gamer wrote a nice, lengthy feature article on one of the best space sims of all time, and possibly the best Star Wars game of all time:

The DOS version of TIE Fighter hit stores in July of 1994, about 17 months after X-Wing, the first game in the series. It was immediately noteworthy for being the first-ever video game to let players assume the role of a rank-and-file TIE pilot in the Imperial Starfleet. For the first time, a Star Wars game let you be the bad guy. "It actually made you feel proud to fly a ship for the Empire," Darth Maul voice actor Sam Witwer told G4 back in 2012. "You actually have that twisted point of view, which is really fun."

Critics thought so, too. PC Gamer magazine's writers named it the year's best action game, and it probably only lost out on the overall game of the year award for one reason: id Software's Doom. But the mag did declare TIE Fighter "the best space-combat simulation ever created," and more than 25 years later, few Star Wars fans would argue otherwise.

On the X-wing predecessor

X-Wing was an innovative, first-person space-combat sim in which players took on the role of Keyan Farlander, a pilot for the Rebel Alliance. While it lacked the branching story structure of the similar Wing Commander series, it found depth and complexity in both its puzzle-like mission design and clever energy-management system. As Computer Gaming World put it in their June 1993 review, "Each ship is somewhat like a flying battery that supplies power at a slow but steady rate. This power can be directed to the engines, the lasers, or to the shields. Diverting power to one area reduces the amount available to the others."

To master X-Wing is to master this system. The game boasted LucasArts' patented iMUSE audio system, which could smoothly change music tracks to match the action, and 3D polygonal graphics—rudimentary today but impressive for the time. X-Wing's manual highly recommended an extra 512 kilobytes of expanded memory, which tells you something about the tech it was running on. Most importantly, though, it delivered a particular fantasy: Flying an X-wing into battle against the Empire's planet-killing superweapon, the Death Star.

"Every game that I had done since Battlehawks was evolving the engine without totally throwing it out and doing something new," Larry says. "There was always a foundation to build on. The graphics engine was rebuilt or replaced, and went from only bitmaps to bitmaps hybridized with 3D to X-Wing, which became 3D. Whole other sets of systems were already fleshed out and evolved, so that really reduced the risk."

In addition to Holland, X-Wing and TIE Fighter had only two other programmers: Peter Lincroft, who wrote the 3D "flight engine," and Ed Kilham, who was responsible for the cinematic engine that carried much of the narrative. Larry handled the AI programming for the games' mission builder.

Right away, based on the hard lessons he'd learned on Luftwaffe, Larry made a decision that shaped the entire X-Wing series: the first game would include only the Rebel Alliance's perspective. "I knew early on that I wanted to use the same dual perspective for the Star Wars material. But I didn't want to put it all in one game. That was crazy," he says. "This was going to be a game that had a lot more story in it, and more role-playing of an individual character—a Luke Skywalker type—as opposed to previous games that were more laboratories of history."

You can see Holland's "realistic" approach to making a Star Wars game even in X-Wing's manual, which is written as though you're a real rookie pilot joining the Rebellion. It describes one mode, called Historical Combat, as "recreations of actual encounters with Imperial Forces."

The presentation of TIE fighter

"TIE Fighter was our chance to do everything that we thought of but didn't get to do with X-Wing, from a function and an experience standpoint," Robin says. "Because I was so close to Larry, particularly, and the team—and new to the whole realm—what was really fascinating for me was to witness the creative process. And I know TIE Fighter was a real coup, because we were always playing with the good guys, and now we could take the point of view: Who was the good guy, really? That comes from Larry's background in anthropology, and wanting to see the different sides of things. I think it was an interesting move; it put something new into the Star Wars universe."

Another way TIE Fighter differs from X-Wing is in its branching, nonlinear structure. Along with a pair of mission designers, David Wessman and David Maxwell ("The two Daves," naturally), Larry arranged an overall narrative arc, a cast of characters, and the plot beats that needed to occur in each of the game's charming animated cinematics. Set in the aftermath of the Battle of Hoth, TIE Fighter shows the rebels scattering in search of a new base. Thrawn, meanwhile, hunts for an Admiral Zaarin, traitor to the Empire (one of the team's original characters), with appearances by the iconic Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine at key moments throughout.

Scenes are rendered with a mix of altered stills from the Star Wars films, new digital art and animation, and in-engine 3D events. In a video interview shot just a few weeks before TIE Fighter was finished, Holland said one of the big challenges with the game was fitting it onto floppies, rather than a CD. "The quantity of interactive, animated cutscenes we'd like to add had to be limited. The amount of digitized voice, sound effects had to be scaled back so we could shoehorn it onto five disks."

Launch and reception:

The full release of Star Wars: TIE Fighter launched in July of 1994 to almost universal acclaim. It won a number of industry awards, and, in May '97, PC Gamer named the "Collector's Edition" CD-ROM version of TIE Fighter, which had the more advanced graphics and sound Holland had wanted back in 1994, the greatest game ever made.

"A lot of people grew a lot working on these products; they learned a ton," says Robin Holland. "I'm really proud of our company. We have people telling us, still, that that was the best work experience they ever had. I think they got a really sweet amount of healthy mentoring. I know I brought something to the party because I wasn't just a gamer; I brought formality. Some people might have wished it didn't come, but if you're going to have a team work well together, you have to do that. You have to bring some formality and some ways that we're going to work together. Larry's really good at giving people a voice, and allowing them to express their ideas."

As the story goes, George Lucas was shown the packaging for TIE Fighter in a board meeting shortly after the game had come out and had started performing well financially and earning acclaim. Lucas picked up the box, examined the cover, and then turned it over to read the copy on the back. "'Imperial Navy'?" he said. "There's no navy in Star Wars." A moment later: "Well, I guess it doesn't matter."

There are also a bunch of concept art and videos in the article. Highly recommended reading:

the game is currently on sale on GOG and if you download and extract the Enhanced Edition for the 1998 version, you'll get the original music and sound from the original release that was removed from the otherwise superior 98 edition.

Enjoy!
iF9dW5.jpg

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Not only do I think it's the best SW game of all time, but didn't PC Gamer list it as the best game of all time at some point? Certainly it was in that echelon with the 96% score it had

edit: And, obviously, thanks for pointing out the article Samiya ! Gotta give props to Holland for being proud of the secret order, too. It really made the bonus objectives click

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wishes someone would make a true sequel...but another part of me also realizes that it would be very dumbed down since barely anyone owns joysticks these days.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only do I think it's the best SW game of all time, but didn't PC Gamer list it as the best game of all time at some point? Certainly it was in that echelon with the 96% score it had

edit: And, obviously, thanks for pointing out the article Samiya ! Gotta give props to Holland for being proud of the secret order, too. It really made the bonus objectives click

Yeah, I definitely remember reading that PC Gamer issue back in the day where Tie Fighter was named the best game ever. It was beloved in the 90's.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'll always be more partial to X-Wing, just because I played it first, but man TIE Fighter was amazing.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Part of me wishes someone would make a true sequel...but another part of me also realizes that it would be very dumbed down since barely anyone owns joysticks these days.

Well, I think Ace Combat, Rebel Galaxy, etc. show you can do just fine without the stick.

The thing I see the franchise struggling with a lot is the turbo-fire. Completely non-existant in the Totally Games franchise, but used all over the EA games and F5 games, I guess to mimic the movies a bit better? They both seemed to feel like there should be a different take than the TG energy balancing system (which I'd argue to be superior, see: Freespace series).

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I should check this out someday, I don't understand the praise.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I think the people that wrote Star Wars: Rebels were fans too, the Tie Defender is pretty important to some of the later episodes.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ah memories, being a kid (or early teenager) staying up all night playing TIE Fighter and being told off in the morning by my parents.
It was so fun though -_-

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I should check this out someday, I don't understand the praise.

If I could give anyone reading this a quick pitch:
  • First-person space combat game (Star Wars fighter-plane physics)
  • Level based (missions for the Empire)
  • Start off with TIE Fighters (fast, no shields) up to far more powerful ships as you get promoted
  • Mostly Narrative driven - missions for the Imperial Navy, Vader, Thrawn, etc.
  • No respawn; this is not crash-and-bounce back like Battlefront.
Like Freespace, TIE FIGHTER does a great job of evolving missions as you go. So what might be a simple mission to scan freighters looking for rebel stowaways could turn into a full-blown fleet conflict with the Rebel Calamari Flagship, a betrayal, or even secret orders from the Emperor (bonus objectives) which don't need to be completed but will progress your career there, too.

As androvsky said, the TIE Defender was invented here, and Thrawn was involved a lot, for fans of the old EU (or now, through Rebels). And it had an epic number of floppy discs in the pre-CD era...

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
If I could give anyone reading this a quick pitch:
  • First-person space combat game (Star Wars fighter-plane physics)
  • Level based (missions for the Empire)
  • Start off with TIE Fighters (fast, no shields) up to far more powerful ships as you get promoted
  • Mostly Narrative driven - missions for the Imperial Navy, Vader, Thrawn, etc.
  • No respawn; this is not crash-and-bounce back like Battlefront.
Like Freespace, TIE FIGHTER does a great job of evolving missions as you go. So what might be a simple mission to scan freighters looking for rebel stowaways could turn into a full-blown fleet conflict with the Rebel Calamari Flagship, a betrayal, or even secret orders from the Emperor (bonus objectives) which don't need to be completed but will progress your career there, too.

As androvsky said, the TIE Defender was invented here, and Thrawn was involved a lot, for fans of the old EU (or now, through Rebels). And it had an epic number of floppy discs in the pre-CD era...
Sounds like Ace Combat X Star Wars

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Sounds like Ace Combat X Star Wars

Well, Ace Combat 7 is basically Star Wars X Top Gun, but yeah.

If Ace has an advantage it's the crazy bosses (no such thing in TF, really, just more Star Destroyers/Mon Calamari Cruisers/etc) although X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter does introduce the Super Star Destroyer.

You could say modern games like Ace Combat 4+ and Freespace 1-2 are the children of X-Wing and TIE Fighter though. XW mostly introduced the flight model while TF nailed the narrative approach.

EDIT: Something I guess I should mention...for whatever reason they did a special edition TF years later, which uses the John Williams soundtrack instead of the synth score. It's not great? As the original score was somewhat dynamic based on the amount of combat, and you might get tired of 40 hours of very specific SW themes...then again, it's your choice whether you want CD audio (rigid) or synth.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
This game changed my life! As a young teen in love with Star Wars i spent so much time with the unofficial mission editor and made my own stories

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty specific era for those games. They had maybe internally begun ideating what would become the prequels and the special edition edits...but there was nothing more to SW besides the OT, and all the extended universe stuff in various forms of print.

For a SW videogame to come out and really paint this vivid, interactive and original(-ish) story was just unheard of.

One of the reasons a lot of SW games now just don't measure up to TIE Fighter is because their content and contribution to the overall lore is a drop in the bucket compared to what it was like back then.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
This game is so damn good and I could go on about it for days. I played the steam version through about a year ago for the nostalgia. The current gen of console controllers FINALLY have enough buttons to fit all the critical functions onto it and not make it a keyboard game, although the game does allow for ludicrous levels of micromanagement to where almost the entire keyboard is used for different commands if you want to use them. Keyboard + flight stick is still the way to go for best experience; sadly I haven't owned a flight stick in about 20 years! Starting off in a defenseless ship was extremely humbling and reminded me of more modern games where you're shoved in at dramatic disadvantages.

I'm going to take issue with the "playing the bad guys" idea, because it challenges the idea of what a bad guy even is. Hell, you don't even know you're the bad guy. Were you to hand this to someone unfamiliar with star wars, they'd think you were fighting for pilot glory like in any other war game. You start out a random loser pilot in the boonies, and none of your actions in the game against the rebellion are per say immoral. It's not even a "I was just doing my job!" thing because the stuff you're ordered to do for your job clears an objective scale of ethics.

My best memories of this game are mid-late when you're flying with minimal support. The progressive dread in sequential missions as you're more and more screwed is delightfully bleak. You're based out of one small vessel flying a dramatically rare prototype fighter. Is it some super mobile unkillable machine? Hell no! You're fighting off top-end enemy fighters with what is effectively a stumbling space SUV not built for the kind of stuff you have to do in it. There's a set of missions in TIE Defenders (which are the super mobile unkillable machines) that have an incredibly grandiose scale befitting a huge battle from the movies that was quite memorable, too. The variety of ships you get to fly vs Alliance craft is a huge step up in this game over X-Wing, too.

It's the only game of era I'd accept a 1:1 recreation of with modern tech. The combat was that that ahead of its time, and the constant energy balancing (from up to 5 systems at times) was a gameplay mechanic that would still feel modern today. The later games in this series are gigantic letdowns, unfortunately.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
A game like this would never get made today. It would be a soulless design by committee mtx fest with a bad twist where the imperial you are playing switches to the alliance b/c the marketing department said so.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so damn good and I could go on about it for days. I played the steam version through about a year ago for the nostalgia. The current gen of console controllers FINALLY have enough buttons to fit all the critical functions onto it and not make it a keyboard game, although the game does allow for ludicrous levels of micromanagement to where almost the entire keyboard is used for different commands if you want to use them. Keyboard + flight stick is still the way to go for best experience; sadly I haven't owned a flight stick in about 20 years! Starting off in a defenseless ship was extremely humbling and reminded me of more modern games where you're shoved in at dramatic disadvantages.

I'm going to take issue with the "playing the bad guys" idea, because it challenges the idea of what a bad guy even is. Hell, you don't even know you're the bad guy. Were you to hand this to someone unfamiliar with star wars, they'd think you were fighting for pilot glory like in any other war game. You start out a random loser pilot in the boonies, and none of your actions in the game against the rebellion are per say immoral. It's not even a "I was just doing my job!" thing because the stuff you're ordered to do for your job clears an objective scale of ethics.

My best memories of this game are mid-late when you're flying with minimal support. The progressive dread in sequential missions as you're more and more screwed is delightfully bleak. You're based out of one small vessel flying a dramatically rare prototype fighter. Is it some super mobile unkillable machine? Hell no! You're fighting off top-end enemy fighters with what is effectively a stumbling space SUV not built for the kind of stuff you have to do in it. There's a set of missions in TIE Defenders (which are the super mobile unkillable machines) that have an incredibly grandiose scale befitting a huge battle from the movies that was quite memorable, too. The variety of ships you get to fly vs Alliance craft is a huge step up in this game over X-Wing, too.

It's the only game of era I'd accept a 1:1 recreation of with modern tech. The combat was that that ahead of its time, and the constant energy balancing (from up to 5 systems at times) was a gameplay mechanic that would still feel modern today. The later games in this series are gigantic letdowns, unfortunately.

Does the Steam version run well on modern machines?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
My god I played especially Tie-Fighter like a religion. Who else tried to get as many kills in each mission as humanly possible? This meant to attack bigger rebel ships for ages with a "fire a couple of shots and escape" tactic for ages.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Another thing! You have no health bar. You largely base how much hull damage your ship has based on the number of dials and displays that have exploded, but even then it's guesswork and getting hit by multiple shots or missiles can kill you outright regardless. Systems can also break. You can actually finish missions with all the HUD elements broken (including the main info display I think?) and having no freaking idea what you're doing, not that I recommend trying that.
Does the Steam version run well on modern machines?
You get an option of versions to run! If you have issues on "special edition," you can run the original DOS version or the CD ROM edition (suggested). Those both use a standard DOS emulator and should be idiotproof. Though I could run X-Wing straight up as well, I will say that X-Wing Alliance crashed constantly and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter didn't run at all on my retail desktop. There are probably workarounds on those but those games are soooo mediocre comparatively and I didn't even research the matter.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Well, Ace Combat 7 is basically Star Wars X Top Gun, but yeah.

If Ace has an advantage it's the crazy bosses (no such thing in TF, really, just more Star Destroyers/Mon Calamari Cruisers/etc) although X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter does introduce the Super Star Destroyer.

You could say modern games like Ace Combat 4+ and Freespace 1-2 are the children of X-Wing and TIE Fighter though. XW mostly introduced the flight model while TF nailed the narrative approach.

EDIT: Something I guess I should mention...for whatever reason they did a special edition TF years later, which uses the John Williams soundtrack instead of the synth score. It's not great? As the original score was somewhat dynamic based on the amount of combat, and you might get tired of 40 hours of very specific SW themes...then again, it's your choice whether you want CD audio (rigid) or synth.
Thanks for you explanations!

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look of the pixel art animated cutscenes along with all the intermission worldbuilding in this game. Alongside the gourad-shaded 3D graphics it aged a lot more gracefully than other Star Wars games from the 90s.

rxT6OTZ.gif
XkGnXP4.gif
pqobhsV.gif
5BKjPOO.gif
pZsfrYX.gif

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Can you imagine if Star Citizen got a Star Wars license, and you could have Xwing v Tie fighter Deux: Electric Boogaloo, with space to ground assaults.....

Edit: Bet they would raise some insane $ then...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
what^s the best way to play this? does it work well with a 360 pad or do I need a joystick?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Needless to say the best Star Wars game and an incredible game all around if you have the patience to learn it.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Pisses me off we don't get modern versions of TIE fighter or the Rogue Squadron series. Fucking EA man. I wish Disney didn't sign an exclusivity deal. The Star Wars franchise should be available to talented developers with good ideas, not restricted to a company that wants to turn SW into a slot machine.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I played this game before I properly saw the actual Star Wars movies (although I had absorbed enough of the story and characters through cultural osmosis so wasn't totally lost)

It was cool getting the secret emperor cult tattoos

Chibrou

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
The memory of knowing the entire keyboard layout (match speed with target, find next target, divert energy from X to Y, change missile/laser type,)...That was insane but gave really the impression to master a complex piece of technology and be the best pilot possible.
One of those experience that I will never forget.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I can't explain how deep my love for this game is. My friends and I played a demo for Tie Fighter that came on floppy with an ad for the new Dodge neon every time you booted it. We payed that demo mission over and over for hours until Christmas finally rolled around.

The amount of thought and depth placed in to the mission design, combat systems, and narrative was incredible. Every single Lucas Star wars release after it was a disappointment.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
A true classic.

I'm still waiting for MS to reissue the Sidewinder 3D Pro with a USB version.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
X-Wing was an innovative, first-person space-combat sim in which players took on the role of Keyan Farlander, a pilot for the Rebel Alliance.

Nitpicky as hell, but... I'm not sure that's correct. I thought that in X-wing you were just a generic pilot of your own creation. While the accompanying novella was based around Farlander (and similarly in TF, Maarek Stele), I didn't think your character in either game was explicitly meant to be them.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Is this playable on phones? I've never played this and I'm on a star wars mood right now.
It would be a stretch; you're looking at a quantity of important keyboard controls along a similar scale to a full-on flight simulator. Although that said, one of the more complicated concepts - rerouting power between lasers, shields and engines as required - could lend itself rather nicely to touch controls.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
To me it's still possibly the greatest PC game of all time. The gameplay systems, missions, bonus objectives, story, music, the Emperor, their depictions of the EU (I still prefer TIE Fighter's vision of Coruscant/Thrawn/etc to what we eventually got in other media); this dev team literally hit gold on every front. It's a masterpiece and I don't think even KOTOR dethrones it as best Star Wars game.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I would to love see a updated version of the game with modern graphics, as the game was still fun to play with my x52 pro a few years back. But we will never get it though.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing this. I still have this and x-wing in its original delivery package. What a game, indeed. As was X-Wing before it. I remember people being apoplectic on usenet over the initial difficulty curve trying to shoot down an enemy combatant. Some things haven't changed over time, haha.

PC gaming was incredible around that time, still getting multi-3.5 inch "floppy" deliveries while getting over the hump of quirky initial CD-rom releases to get substantial versions of games, as well as moving on to -gasp - 640x480 resolution. We got Doom II, System Shock and Wing Commander III as well - like Tie Fighter, these were rather lengthy campaigns.