• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

I'm finally proud to show you this little documentary I've been making for the past two or three months for the 30th anniversary of the release of The Secret of Monkey Island - The Making of Monkey Island. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it. What an honour!

Here's to another 30 years of 'How appropriate, you fight like a cow!'

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Watching now, love Monkey Island 1, 2 and 3. Can't believe there's no others after that.....

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate Escape acting as a cautionary tale in how not to make an elegant puzzle; Monkey Kombat leverages a number of the same concepts as Insult Swordfighting but makes it a vastly more complicated solution space to explore and map, without either of those elements of increased complexity actually being much fun.

(And I will happily defend Tales no matter what. It's a shame there's no sign of a followup to that)

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
I appreciate Escape acting as a cautionary tale in how not to make an elegant puzzle; Monkey Kombat leverages a number of the same concepts as Insult Swordfighting but makes it a vastly more complicated solution space to explore and map, without either of those elements of increased complexity actually being much fun.

(And I will happily defend Tales no matter what. It's a shame there's no sign of a followup to that)

Monkey Kombat is the reason I haven't replayed the game since launch (and I've really wanted to otherwise!). I just remember Having a huge complicated chart on a piece of paper that i had to painstakingly fill out because each game is random... ugh.

Tales was great! I wish it didn't end on a cliffhanger :/

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yooooooooooo!!!!.........
...yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me.

Thanks OP will watch.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll check it out after the Apple event finishes, Monkey Island is one of my all-time favorites so this will be pretty awesome to watch

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will definitly check it out.
Replayed 1-3 earlier this year... still as great as ever. CoMI is still on of my top 5 games ever.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I'm actually starting a streamed playthrough of 1, 2 and 3 tonight. Some of my favorite games of all-time.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Now I wish I could play the first and second games on Switch. Though the games are on the Xbox and PC. Thimbleweed Park was fun on the Switch.

Bongodaddy

Oct 27, 2017
The first three games are so, go good. I especially loved 3 as a child and was heartbroken when 4 came out and I absolutely hated it.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I loved 3 as well. It was my entry into the series. It's so fucking gorgeous. I want a full HD remaster with the source animation at the highest resolution possible right now please.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, Disney. You know what to do.

Disney will never make anything with Monkey Island because one, adventure games are not a billion dollar business and two, Monkey Island is too similar to Pirates of the Caribbean

just another reminder that media consolidation is bad and will get even worse from here

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Monkey Island 1 & 2! I can still remember cursing the pun-based riddles because they just didn't work out in the German translation (which apart of that was excellent, thanks to Doc Bobo). Fucking monkey wrench!

and there's the Soundtrack which will be engraved into my brain for all eternity!

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
Wow Thirty years? I´m old kkkkkk. Please Microsoft, buy Monkey Island license and give to Tim Schaffer!!! :) Or put it on Sea of Thieves!

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
1+2 are among the best games of all time. The third game with its bland humour, mediocre writing and overwrought puzzles never sat well with me, and Escape and Tales are meh, but those first two are really, really fantastic.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was too young so I had only played 3, and was in love with the art and writing. I'll have to give this a watch, thanks!

Are any of the Monkey Island games on Android? I love playing adventure games on the phone. Broken Sword, Thimbleweed Park.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I was too young so I had only played 3, and was in love with the art and writing. I'll have to give this a watch, thanks!

Are any of the Monkey Island games on Android? I love playing adventure games on the phone. Broken Sword, Thimbleweed Park.
They did a port of the special editions to 360, PS3, and iOS. The iOS version was delisted for some reason.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017

Saw this fan-made version of the Limited Run Games Monkey Island set and thought it was real. Went to buy it and was terribly disappointed by the official version.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
That we don't have a remastered Curse of Monkey Island is a travesty (Escape I don't care about). Then again, seeing what the new art direction did to Guybrush, maybe it's better left untouched.

But would a remastered edition with just the same assets in a higher resolution really be too much to ask for?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Hmm ok thanks for letting me know. What's the special edition? I heard Telltale did a series but that's original content and not a remake, right?
The Special Edition uses full voice acting for all line from series voice actors, it has a drawn art style that is an overlay for the original game akin to Halo CE:A and Halo 2:A. Monkey Island 1 and 2 were given the Special Edition treatment and are on steam

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Saw this fan-made version of the Limited Run Games Monkey Island set and thought it was real. Went to buy it and was terribly disappointed by the official version.

Way better. The plain black packaging on the Sega CD version CE was whack too. Really disappointing in the new set. I thought they were going to go all out.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I loved 3 as well. It was my entry into the series. It's so fucking gorgeous. I want a full HD remaster with the source animation at the highest resolution possible right now please.

Same here. It needs to happen! Oh, to see those beautiful atmospheric backgrounds in HD full colour!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This was a nice look back at the game. I played the hell out of Monkey Island 1 & 2 on my Amiga 500+.

I really enjoyed the Special Edition remakes too, both games still hold up really well.