• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have the ability to use technology and post on internet message boards dedicated to video games. A very large number of people will never have this chance. Do you recognize you are also rich in the context you've laid out?
Of course I am. I am privileged enough to have internet access and I'm privileged enough to have learned English in level that's enough for me to be able to use it in communicating.

i don't hide me being middle class.

But I don't go around saying I'm not relatively rich, and I don't go around pretending that being an American living in some well off neighborhood earning $100k a year isn't rich.

But do remember, my status is way way poor compared to being an American earning $100k a year.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I am. I am privileged enough to have internet access and I'm privileged enough to have learned English in level that's enough for me to be able to use it in communicating.

But I don't go around saying I'm not relatively rich, and I don't go around pretending that being an American living in some well off neighborhood earning $100k a year isn't rich.

But do remember, my status is way way poor compared to being an American earning $100k a year.

You're not middle class if you're factoring in the world; you're rich and in the upper class.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
^ which is why I wasn't going to bother arguing with you in the first place

Hey everyone, if you're doing well in America and you happen to be white, you're a white supremacist

I can't wait for the next 5 years.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So you're rich under your definition. How does it feel to be a rich person?

Oct 25, 2017
$100k a year is rich.

As someone living in a third world country, I am honestly offended.

LoL at North Americans being offended of the idea that $100k a year is rich.

Yeah, it's pretty freakin' rich.
There's not a single thing said here that hasn't been broken down as arguing in poor faith at least half a dozen times already. Hell, just read the last page before this.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Then I'm rich If I factor the world. And that makes American living in America earning $100k a year very rich.

I find it interesting how you thought you were middle class. Maybe think about how you came to that conclusion and why you didn't consider yourself rich. Is it maybe because where you live and the cost of living actually actually has an impact on that?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The point that has been made many times in this thread is that it depends on what you mean by rich.

Global standards are different. But when the richest 1% own 40% of the wrath in the USA are we surprised that most people don't fee wealthy in this country?

I don't see most people getting offended by being labeled rich, I see them saying that $100,000 barely covers the bills in the area they work. That's true.

Oct 25, 2017
100k as income for a single household is well off and definitely comfortable but with a family of four it's definitely not rich.To me rich is being able to have luxury be part of your life style.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ which is why I wasn't going to bother arguing with you in the first place

Hey everyone, if you're doing well in America and you happen to be white, you're a white supremacist

I can't wait for the next 5 years.
I'm so sorry the world is super in your favor... that must feel so bad that You've benefited from the mess that you've brought all over the world historically speaking, how you've barely done stuff to counter that and how your structures and policies are still beneffiting you to the detriment of others.
That must be so hard for you.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so sorry the world is super in your favor... that must feel so bad that You've benefited from the mess that you've brought all over the world historically speaking, how you've barely done stuff to counter that and how your structures and policies are still beneffiting you to the detriment of others.

Dude WTF

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As a rich person what are you doing to improve the lives of the less fortunate around the world?

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
I make this much in the midwest. It certainly isn't average or 'decent'. I would consider my life as 'comfortable' with this income, were it not for the 6figures I have sitting in my bank. Reality is I could coast jobless on what I have saved(over just 4 years) for over a decade if I needed to. I would argue that that is 'rich' by many american's standards.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting how you thought you were middle class. Maybe think about how you came to that conclusion and why you didn't consider yourself rich. Is it maybe because where you live and the cost of living actually actually has an impact on that?
I find it interesting that despite the obvious contexts of me being relatively rich as a third worlder by virtue of having internet and being able to eat, that you're still arguing against the idea that AMERICAN LIVING IN AMERICA AND EARNING $100K A YEAR IS CONSIDERED RICH.

Like, it's all there. Do you lack perspective?

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017

i live in Africa.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting that despite the obvious contexts of me being relatively rich as a third worlder by virtue of having internet and being able to eat, that you're still arguing against the idea that AMERICAN LIVING IN AMERICA AND EARNING $100K A YEAR IS CONSIDERED RICH.

Like, it's all there. Do you lack perspective?

No, because I put things in perspective based off the area and cost of living. Just like you did when you called yourself middle class. I find it quite ironic that you're saying I lack perspective when based off your argument and the fact you considered yourself middle class, it is you who lacked perspective based off your definition. I'm trying to point out that maybe consider the fact that cost of living and where you live makes a huge difference in your buying power and trying to make things equal across the board isn't a good idea. You being middle class where you live could very well be true under my definition, but it certainly isn't under yours. Maybe really think about how you considered yourself middle class despite it violating your definition and extrapolate why others might feel the same way, especially trying to tell someone who makes only $16k a year that they're rich when they certainly won't feel that way. I dare you to find someone making $16k in a first world country that feels like they're rich.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because I put things in perspective based off the area and cost of living. Just like you did when you called yourself middle class. I find it quite ironic that you're saying I lack perspective when based off your argument and the fact you considered yourself middle class, it is you who lacked perspective based off your definition. I'm trying to point out that maybe consider the fact that cost of living and where you live makes a huge difference in your buying power and trying to make things equal across the board isn't a good idea. You being middle class where you live could very well be true under my definition, but it certainly isn't under yours. Maybe really think about how you considered yourself middle class despite it violating your definition and extrapolate why others might feel the same way, especially trying to tell someone who makes only $16k a year that they're rich when they certainly won't feel that way. I dare you to find someone making $16k in a first world country that feels like they're rich.

I do lack perspective, but I don't go about ignoring the quality of life, the products afforded and services available to an AMERICAN LIVING IN AMERICA EARNING $100K a year.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I do lack perspective, but I don't go about ignoring the quality of life, the products afforded and services available to an AMERICAN LIVING IN AMERICA EARNING $100K a year.

You also lack perspective on what it's like to live in a high cost of living area. Nobody making $100k thinks they're poor; they just don't consider themselves rich because of how much it costs to live in an area that is offering you a $100k salary.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You also lack perspective on what it's like to live in a high cost of living area. Nobody making $100k thinks they're poor; they just don't consider themselves rich because of how much it costs to live in an area that is offering you a $100k salary.
Then you lack perspective on what it's like to live in a living area that's not high cost, and heck, to live in areas outside America especially in non-developed countries.

The fact that there are people pivileged enough to be able to afford moving to a high cost living area in the US......

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

That's flimsy ground to stand on though as you also need a high income in order to be in country club cul de sac communities. Being able to comfortably pay mortgage/rent in a high CoL metro area is a privilege itself.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Considering all the people struggling to get buy on minimum wage jobs, if they are lucky maybe two minimum watch jobs which gets them a strained what? 30K a year maybe?

Yeah 100k is a fuck load of money. Even with a "decent" paying job and not particularly struggling 100K would change my life dramatically.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Then you lack perspective on what it's like to live in a living area that's not high cost, and heck, to live in areas outside America especially in non-developed countries.

The fact that there are people pivileged enough to be able to afford moving to a high cost living area in the US......

That's quite the jumping to conclusion there and absolutely not true. I quite understand my luck and privilege and also what it's like to come to this country with nothing on a boat.

That's flimsy ground to stand on though as you also need a high income in order to be in country club cul de sac communities. Being able to comfortably pay mortgage/rent in a high CoL metro area is a privilege itself.

Privilege != rich though. There's a difference.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite the jumping to conclusion there and absolutely not true. I quite understand my luck and privilege and also what it's like to come to this country with nothing on a boat.

Privilege != rich though. There's a difference.
You sound like a rich person getting offended that people are calling you rich.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Well off people getting offended in this thread:
c2r8gfqd1nb21.jpg

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, trying to minimize how rich you are when criticizing others for what you perceive to be the same makes you a hypocrite.
Criticizing People living in America earning $100k a year for getting offended that people are calling them rich and comparing that to me and the wide gap in wealth and privilege is being a hypocrite?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Is how a rich person getting offended by people calling him rich would say.
Well aren't you enlightened to be able to tell me how I feel. How is one to respond to that when no matter what I say, you're going to tell me you know I'm offended? This coming from the person who already has been proven to be lacking in perspective and admitted as much.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if only there was a proper purchasing power calculator for each states. Then you can easily plug in the number and figure out how much 100k worth in different states.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Criticizing People living in America earning $100k a year for getting offended that people are calling them rich and comparing that to me and the wide gap in wealth and privilege is being a hypocrite?

Criticizing people you consider rich for not agreeing while refusing to fully acknowledge that you are rich under the same definition is being a hypocrite.

I can repeat it as many times as you are willing to ask dumb questions.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Criticizing people you consider rich for not agreeing while refusing to fully acknowledge that you are rich under the same definition is being a hypocrite.

I can repeat it as many times as you are willing to ask dumb questions.
Wow, what a wonderful answer....... if i didn't already say i was rich.

and I didn't know LIVING IN AMERICA AND EARNING $100K a year is the same as Living in a third world country earning $5k a year is the same thing.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

and I didn't know LIVING IN AMERICA AND EARNING $100K a year is the same as Living in a third world country country earning $5k a year is the same thing.

It's almost as if expanding the definition of words so wide they include things that aren't actually alike, rendering them useless, is a shit idea.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well aren't you enlightened to be able to tell me how I feel. How is one to respond to that when no matter what I say, you're going to tell me you know I'm offended? This coming from the person who already has been proven to be lacking in perspective and admitted as much.
Well how enlightened of you to force feed us the idea that an American living in America earning $100k a year isn't rich.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Well how enlightened of you to force feed us the idea that an American living in America earning $100k a year isn't rich.

But you just said this:

and I didn't know LIVING IN AMERICA AND EARNING $100K a year is the same as Living in a third world country earning $5k a year is the same thing.

Are you trying to say that the US and what money means is different compared to what it means in a third world country? That's been my whole point this entire time. You're proving my point; thanks.

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Technically the Philippines were a first world country based on their relationship with the US and besides using the terms like first and third world to describe countries is incredibly outdated. Get with the times.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain this thread is hopeless. It always boils down to arguing over some subjective term and just how amazingly easily the human mind acclimates to its environment. I can't count the number of times I've had others think that I live in some abandoned hellscape without even so much as basic necessities, even though I live in a major metropolitan area that just happens to NOT be on a coast. There isn't ever going to be a consensus inside the US, yetalone outside of it.