• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Should probably also say 'based on the work of Peter Jackson' because holly shit have their cribbed the aesthetic from the films. I mean it is a good aesthetic, but that is a huge bite.

Also, I am not that familiar with the series outside of the LoTR and the Hobbit, but what is the premise here? It seems to be starring Galadriel as a warrior...which is interesting.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this has looked stellar to me. Really upsetting that the "elves can't be nonwhite" crowd seems to be poisoning the discourse. Fucking pathetic sacks of shit.

Should probably also say 'based on the work of Peter Jackson' because holly shit have their cribbed the aesthetic from the films. I mean it is a good aesthetic, but that is a huge bite.

Also, I am not that familiar with the series outside of the LoTR and the Hobbit, but what is the premise here? It seems to be starring Galadriel as a warrior...which is interesting.
From what I gather, and I've tried to stay in the dark as much as I can allow myself, it's based in the Second Age around the time Sauron tricked Celebrimbor into helping him forge the Rings of Power (The Three of the Elves, the Seven of the Dwarves and the Nine of Men). Galadriel was known to be one of the most powerful of the Noldor elves. I've never read the Silmarillion and my knowledge of the second age is suuuuuper limited, but I am stoked for this show.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Galadriel is probably one of the biggest bad-asses going by the time the Third Age rolls around. She's seen some serious shit.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like it but it looks like it takes place at the end of the second age. When this was announced I had the impression it was going to be set at the beginning of the second age so I'm a bit disappointed but that's on me. I would like to see peak Numenor before the fall but we'll get instead creepy Numenor, which is not bad, mind you.

I guess Elendil and Gil-Galad will be the big heroes with Galadriel doing work in the shadows.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks ... full on like a movie budget for a TV series.

I was going to check it out either way, but yeah that was a really strong trailer.

Both this and HOTD look really, really good.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think meteor man is this guy based on shots in the trailer of interactions with harfoots and doesn't seem Sauron like

FYSooB5VUAAqjr9

I know he's not supposed to be there in the 2nd age, but I really wonder if Meteor Man/Man Who Appears Friendly To Hobbits is going to be
young Gandalf because they want Gandalf in for the general viewing public. That will send some people into a fit I'm sure.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway

Peter Jackson's movies were based on the aesthetics of John Howe and Alan Lee's drawings of Middle-earth, which had long been the established standard for what everything looked like in the setting. Unless TV and movie productions deliberately want to avoid Howe and Lee as inspiration, there will be huge overlaps in how they look.

That looks ... full on like a movie budget for a TV series.

And no wonder. AFAIK, the budget for the first season of this show is much bigger than the entire cost of the LOTR trilogy put together.

I know he's not supposed to be there in the 2nd age, but I really wonder if Meteor Man/Man Who Appears Friendly To Hobbits is going to be
young Gandalf because they want Gandalf in for the general viewing public. That will send some people into a fit I'm sure.

There is no such thing as "young Gandalf." Gandalf's true form isn't human at all, but he chose to appear in the guise of an old man because it would make it easier for him to gain influence in human courts without appearing threatening. He has always appeared as an old man to humans and does not age. He's closer to a god, or rather, a god's avatar, than he is to being human.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There is no such thing as "young Gandalf." Gandalf's true form isn't human at all, but he chose to appear in the guise of an old man because it would make it easier for him to gain influence in human courts without appearing threatening. He has always appeared as an old man to humans and does not age. He's closer to a god, or rather, a god's avatar, than he is to being human.

True, but that doesnt stop the showrunners from taking some liberties with that. But I would have a bigger issue with Gandalf arriving way before the third age.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
And no wonder. AFAIK, the budget for the first season of this show is much bigger than the entire cost of the LOTR trilogy put together.

It isn't much bigger. If you take inflation then lotr movie series cost was about 440 million, while first season for lotr series is 460 million.

But that is still fucking massive budget for TV-series

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look good visually but it's a little boring in terms of shot variety.

OK riddle me this, hotshot. How exactly did Gandalf gain such favour with the Council of Twinks?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Racism and sexism. There are some people who are extremely negative on this show because of casting choices and how Galadriel is front and center.

Fuck 'em. Galadriel is awesome, the casting is awesome, the trailers have been awesome, there is absolutely room for diversity in Middle Earth. I hope the show is insanely successful and all of these asshats feel sad and alone while the rest of us enjoy, what appears to be so far, a great show.

Honestly it makes sense to make an important elf the MC or one of the MCs just because they'll live through the whole Second Age so you can keep them on no matter how many hundreds of years pass. Galadriel is a good choice for that role

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Meteor Man, I dipped in and out of this (100% speculative) breakdown of the trailer from some YouTube rando...

www.youtube.com

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Trailer Breakdown - SAURON REVEALED?

Amazon have released the FULL trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power at San Diego Comic Con 2022! With many new scenes including a Balrog, Or...

... and it made me wonder if the Man Who Fell to Middle Earth
is being deliberately made to resemble a younger Gandalf, which is emphasised by his seemingly falling where the halfling/harfoots live, with the intent of pulling off a surprise Sauron reveal at the end of the 1st season.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
If they do flashbacks, I hope we get to see Ungoliant, Gothmog and Ancalagon the Black. They're the real spiders, balrogs and dragons.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
But there are characters who are white and bad though as well (Boromir, The steward of Gondor, Saruman, The Unfaithful Numoreans, Annatar).

Tolkien was simply writing English mythology based heavily on Finnish/Celtic and Norse mythology. Did you know no Dwarves skin color is ever mentioned?

Tolkien also wrote later in life that the blue wizards succeeded in the east, and the war of the rings would have been lost without that. Therefore we know there are good non-white people as well.

So again, Tolkien had some questionable views in modern times because he was born in the late 1800s. But to say his work was steeped in racism is just not true.
Tolkien isn't Lovecraft, but he was an aristocratic British guy in the early 1900s. He definitely had some racist views and it's all over LotR. But it's old timey British racism where the problem isn't necessarily your skin color, it's your breeding stock and your culture. Here's what he said about Orcs
squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes: in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.
When talking about the Uruk-hai, treebeard mentions saruman possibly crossbred Orcs and Men, calling it a black evil. When lining up that with his thoughts on them being mongols, it aligns with western European fears about immigrants coming in and ruining British culture. This led to a lot of interest in eugenics and talk of keeping bloodlines "pure" in his time. Then add in the only people of color in the books are brown skinned men from the East who join the evil side. And the entire book is about defending the rapidly declining civilization in the "West" from this rising evil in the East

Here's him on dwarves
I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue"
The dwarves of course are quite obviously, wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic.
Not necessarily harmful, but then you remember dwarves love jewels and especially gold, and their greed for it leads to their downfall.

As for there being bad white people, Tolkien's views again come up with Boromir and his father. Remember how gandalf explains how Gondor fell because the line of kings died and it passed to the rule of "lesser men"? How weak and cowardly Denethor is, and how great Gondor will be at the end of the books because it's rightful King by blood has been restored? Again, the topic of pure bloodlines being good and how bad it is to mix them comes up.

Again, Tolkien isn't Lovecraft but idk how you can say he wasn't racist and how that isn't all over his writings. He was pretty normal for his time but that doesn't give him a pass

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I am ready for this show y'all.

it makes sense that they kind of have to address who Morgoth is, the Oath of Feanor, the Silmarils and Finrod's death at the hands of Sauron in service of the progenitors of Elrond/Elros (it would be sweet to have a Beren/Luthien name drop), Valinor and the gift/doom of Men. It gives necessary context for Celebrimbor, Galadriel, Sauron, and the Numenoreans. Especially so for Celebrimbor, he's got tragic figure energy all over him.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I like it but it looks like it takes place at the end of the second age. When this was announced I had the impression it was going to be set at the beginning of the second age so I'm a bit disappointed but that's on me. I would like to see peak Numenor before the fall but we'll get instead creepy Numenor, which is not bad, mind you.

I guess Elendil and Gil-Galad will be the big heroes with Galadriel doing work in the shadows.
We will see the entire second age. The show will adapt and condense all events of that age into one Numenorian lifetime (Ilsidur).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Ok, I was lukewarm about this from everything else, but that trailer finally won me over. It looks real good.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Tolkien isn't Lovecraft, but he was an aristocratic British guy in the early 1900s. He definitely had some racist views and it's all over LotR. But it's old timey British racism where the problem isn't necessarily your skin color, it's your breeding stock and your culture. Here's what he said about Orcs

When talking about the Uruk-hai, treebeard mentions saruman possibly crossbred Orcs and Men, calling it a black evil. When lining up that with his thoughts on them being mongols, it aligns with western European fears about immigrants coming in and ruining British culture. This led to a lot of interest in eugenics and talk of keeping bloodlines "pure" in his time. Then add in the only people of color in the books are brown skinned men from the East who join the evil side. And the entire book is about defending the rapidly declining civilization in the "West" from this rising evil in the East

Here's him on dwarves

Not necessarily harmful, but then you remember dwarves love jewels and especially gold, and their greed for it leads to their downfall.

As for there being bad white people, Tolkien's views again come up with Boromir and his father. Remember how gandalf explains how Gondor fell because the line of kings died and it passed to the rule of "lesser men"? How weak and cowardly Denethor is, and how great Gondor will be at the end of the books because it's rightful King by blood has been restored? Again, the topic of pure bloodlines being good and how bad it is to mix them comes up.

Again, Tolkien isn't Lovecraft but idk how you can say he wasn't racist and how that isn't all over his writings. He was pretty normal for his time but that doesn't give him a pass
I never said he wasn't racist, I said he was a guy born in the late 1800s so he definitely had some problematic views. But to call his books "steeped" with racism I do not think is fair.

But this topic has been discussed to death and probably not appropriate for this thread.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it has been made clear that Amazon did NOT have the rights to The Silmarillion and therefore couldn't show show anything from the First Age?

DId they renegotiate with the Tolkien Estate or something?

less

Oct 25, 2017
The new trailer completely sold me on the show and now I have a considerable amount of hype for it. Timeline compression is still a concern with regards to how effectively they can weave everything together but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Surely they will be extra careful there.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The comment section is weird af.
And based on some trash I've seen around the internet, it's because the movie has black cast members. They've already decided to hate the existence of this show because of it. This is going to be the next series that gets review bombed in user scores by racist white people, which is yet another example as to why user scores and comment sections need to just disappear. The average person that reads comment sections stumbles on this fake feedback and think, "oh no the show's really bad then? :("

The moment white racist groups latch on to something they like to call "forced woke representation", it's like they blow a racist viking horn to send out the signal. You'd best believe they're getting ready to review bomb this show, just seconds within release. Almost nothing brings me more joy than seeing racist fandoms suffering and crying over the inclusion of people of color in their white fantasy stories. 😂

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
so this show would have to get renewed for multiple seasons almost automatically because they sunk so much money into it right?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
so this show would have to get renewed for multiple seasons almost automatically because they sunk so much money into it right?
Yeah I'm pretty sure the contract they signed for the rights came with a 5-season commitment. Maybe they could renegotiate if the show is disastrous, but it sounds like we're more or less locked in for at least that long

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. But non-canon or alt-canon Tolkien stuff has almost never landed for me. It's really hard to imitate within the legendarium rather than as a unique story that's heavily inspired like any number of post-Tolkien fantasy worlds/stories. It can seem "fake", which is funny because it's all fake. I dunno how to explain. It certainly looks good, and sounds good. I'm just ready for more Middle Earth. As long as it's better than the Hobbit, it will be a massive success either way.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This looks neat, but.... As someone who never read anything outside of the main LotR trilogy (and even that was decades ago) and who knows fuck-all about ancient LotR lore, will I be completely lost watching this? 🤔

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this. The orc stuff being handled so well in practical make-up and how they are approaching them is a pleasant surprise.

This looks neat, but.... As someone who never read anything outside of the main LotR trilogy (and even that was decades ago) and who knows fuck-all about ancient LotR lore, will I be completely lost watching this? 🤔
Nah, I imagine they'll do a good job in contextualizing everything for the audience like the films did. Not to mention that they may have to navigate around certain use rights and change up elements/timelines to work in a show format, so knowing the source material is only going to go so far.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nah, I imagine they'll do a good job in contextualizing everything for the audience like the films did. Not to mention that they may have to navigate around certain use rights and change up elements/timelines to work in a show format, so knowing the source material is only going to go so far.
Yeah, hopefully. Or I can just ask lore questions in the OT :D

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

I don't think so - as long as you remember FOTR's prologue you'd be fine, I guess.

If these topics come up, I'll try to summarize them as brief and accessible as possible:

First Age: Thousands and thousands of years (possibly hundreds of thousands) before LOTR is set. Usually deals with Melkor/Morgoth, the true Big Bad of the whole mythos and Sauron's master, and the Age ends with the War of Wrath - a conflict so catastrophic that literally sunk the entire western portion of Middle-Earth. Morgoth was chained and thrown into the Void forever (or until the End of the Universe, whereupon he'll return to bring upon the Final Battle) and Sauron escaped punishment by "repenting".

Second Age: Thousands and thousands of years before LOTR is set. Deals with the founding of Elven kingdoms in Middle-Earth and the establishment of Númenor: an Island Kingdom right in the middle of the ocean between Middle-Earth and the continent in which the Valar (major angelic beings/'gods' so to speak) dwell. Númenor was created by the Valar *for* a certain branch of Men (as a race, not gender) as a reward for helping in the War of Wrath. The idea was to have them 'close' to the light of the Valar but the people from Númenor were forbidden from sailing westward (toward the dwelling of the Valar). This will be the setting of the series. After Númenor's downfall (it's the equivalent of the Atlantis myth), the Second Age deals with the establishment of the kingdoms of Men in Middle-Earth, founded by Númenor survivors, and Sauron's reemergence and the forging of the Rings of Power and it ends with the events of FOTR's prologue (the War of the Last Alliance and Sauron's defeat at the hands of Isildur).

Third Age: from thousands of years before LOTR to Aragorn and Arwen's coronation at the end of ROTK. Deals with the rise and fall of the Kingdoms of Men in Middle-Earth, the disappearance of the Ring, the growing power of the Witch-King (the same one slain by Éowyn in ROTK), the last King of Gondor before Aragorn, the Kingdom of Elves shrinking in power and size and mostly everybody from the "elden days" (like Elrond and Galadriel) just minding their own business in their own spheres of influence. This is the age in which the Wizards (Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast and the 2 Blue Wizards) arrive in Middle-Earth as envoys of the Valar to help against Sauron in an indirect (non-violent) way. Also... well, The Hobbit and LOTR.

Hope that helps.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Youtube commenters really don't like black people in their fantasy show, do they? Kind of interesting they accept all the real and fictional races in the LOTR universe, but when an elf has dark skin it's a desecration on the grave of Tolkien's legacy.

Trailer looked really good. I'm looking forward to watching it and discussing it with non-garbage people.