• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Tryin' ta be Valheim + Lord of the Rings it seems.

Looks a little last gen, but could be good! VALHEIM WAS AMAZING

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was actually genuinely excited for this game, but EGS exclusive means it's a pass for now. Hopefully it's just timed.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
"We trained an AI to come up with the least enticing premise for a game you've ever heard in your life!"

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Sounds awesome. Glad to see the IP is used for a variety of genres and not just bland AAA focus tested third person action-RPGs.

This thread turned a weird way. This genre is "overdone" but at the same time "we need a LOTR Skyrim"?

???

????!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds awesome to me as a lover of Valheim. Not sure why so many people are down on it. I like them using a big license for cool ideas that aren't just AAA-story based game.

this forum primarily goes for either AAA single player action adventure games or high production value indie platformers. you're not going to get traction for social games or games that are meant to be played without a specific direction but just to hang out with people and have immersive experiences.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
"We trained an AI to come up with the least enticing premise for a game you've ever heard in your life!"
unknown.png

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of depressing that 20 years later, the PS2 era run of LOTR games are still the best LOTR games ever made. The Mordor/War games were fun, but they were basically fan fiction. Why, in 2022, can I not co-op with a friend and defend Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith? A large scale, almost Musou-esque action game is the biggest no brainer for this franchise, yet we end up with generic crafting/survival game #954838.
Lord of the Rings Online is the best LotR game ever made by a wide margin and you can do exactly what you desire in it but it's quite dated at this point and your point is taken. The IP has not been represented well in this medium. It's kind of depressing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike many in this topic, I think this actually seems like a great use of the LotR license. The narrative hook works so well with the crafting and survival genre. I wonder if you can delve too deep and encounter some of those Lovecraftian horrors lurking even beneath the balrog.

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"procedurally generated Dwarven realm of Moria,"

Lol and this seems based off the books and isn't based on the films/tv?

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
My wife is a big LOTR fan, she might like it. The only games she'll play on her own are breath of the wild and animal crossing, so this seems like it might draw her interest.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
6jc3fv.jpg

Still, I won't write it off entirely just yet. Hopefully it takes a lot of inspiration from Deep Rock Galactic, though this one seems to include base building, which I'm not a fan of at all.

It's an EGS exclusive, so no, it won't make any numbers on PC.

Ah damn. That's going to reduce the playerbase a lot.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I see the Tolkien estate has adopted the Games Workshop "shovelware tsunami" licensing model. Bold move.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Absolutely love the concept, and honestly the fact that LotR license is not used only for 'epic action/adventure battling games'.

So far not really sure about implementation. It can go both ways.

But if it's going to be as addicting as this other dwarf crafting/building/survival game I've been playing a LOT in my youth, fine by me :D

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Zero interest in that premise. Negative interest in an EGS exclusive.

Good luck anyway, we need more lotr games, even ones that won't interest me.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Don't care at all for survival/crafting games, but I love stuff with dwarves. I'll see what shape it's in when it hits Steam in 2024.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
I was looking for the thread of this announcement. It doesn't look AAA but for sure I am more curious with this one over the gollum one. Will keep an eye on it!

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
"...the only survival crafting video game set in the Fourth Age of Middle-earth™..."

Like... Yeah?

"The only Lord of the Rings video game with these specific mechanics and characters, set in this specific timeframe and released on a Tuesday in Western territories."

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man.

This could have been an incredible return to building/management/maxis style fun simulation of reconquering and building your own Moria with all kinds of cool rooms, buildings and bridges and halls. Instead it sounds horribly boring being the nth "survival roguelike" whatever thing and I'll rather play through Moria in LOTRO again.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Between this and Gollum, I really want to have a word with whoever's in charge of licensing out Tolkein's works.

xpownz

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 13, 2020
This game looks like it could be so much fun with friends. I really don't get the negativity here since it's such a great setting and premise.

digging is fun
building is fun
dwarves are fun
LotR is FUN

Also, it feels good that it is not a generic AAA third person sword slashing be the strongest male and follow your path through generic landscapes and climb towers to spot the next bandit camp while leveling that generic skill tree that have the same effects as the other 500 games

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Was almost interested in this until I saw it's EGS exclusive. Welp. At least by the time it's out on Steam I'll have a good idea of how the game actually plays and can make a better decision on whether or not I'll bite.

I can see what they're going for with it, though: kind of a LotR-themed Dwarf Fortress/Deep Rock Galactic-style hybrid. There's definitely potential here.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Dwarves are the greatest fantasy/scifi race/faction and the War of Dwarves and Orcs is the most brutal epic shizzle in fantasy.

Watch as the developers put Legalos surfing on a shield and elf-dwarf love stories into the game sigh.