• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
According to VG247, the game will not be released in September anymore.

"We are dedicated to meeting our community's expectations and uncovering the untold story of Gollum in a way that honors the vision of J.R.R. Tolkien. That being said, in order to deliver the best possible experience, we have decided to push the release of The Lord of the Rings: Gollum by a few months. We'll update with an exact timing in the near future."

Honestly, I'm not sure how much that will actually affect the final quality of the game. I'm personally really intrigued by a Gollum title, but all the gameplay footage we've seen showcase signs of a troubled/painful development that the team tries to push to the finish line, and I'm not sure that a few months will considerably change things.

A delay that officially happens right before a game has to go gold (because for a September release it had to go gold literally now, though of course internally decision could've been made earlier, but still the announcement is very close to original release date) is also not the most encouraging aspect.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I'm not a dev, but I share the sentiment as you. Feel for the devs working on the project though as the reactions coming after the last trailer have been mixed to say the least. 😞

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
www.resetera.com

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum delayed (presumably into 2023)

https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1551598260732792832 I'm assuming "a few months" means "early next year", but we'll see! Suppose this delay isn't surprising since we only got a release date and saw the first gameplay footage a few weeks ago.

Ah damn, that's on me for checking only today's threads and not searching earlier, because the VG247 post is from today. I didn't know it was yesterday's news, literally :D

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a dev, but I share the sentiment as you. Feel for the devs working on the project though as the reactions coming after the last trailer have been mixed to say the least. 😞

Have any of the trailers or screenshots looked good? Gollum looks hideous even for an ugly character and even as a huge LOTR fan this just seems like such a boring idea for a game. The trailer had nothing remotely interesting in it.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I actually thought, other than Gollum's character model, that it looked pretty decent. Kind of like the GameCube The Hobbit game. Just a decent-ish AA title.