• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
As a huge Tolkien fan who's still playing modded BFME 2, I lost my faith in seeing a proper LotR RPG game in my lifetime. We had 2 mechanically great lore was terrible Mordor game and this? I understand that creating a Witcher 3 like experience is extremely rare but using both the movie and book licenses this terrible is something else.

We should've got this.
I remember being so hyped when this was announced, I was checking gamespot every two days hoping to see a gameplay trailer for it, shame we will never know what it would've been like.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Of all the stories, time period, races and battles i would expect to play a lotr game in, a gollum game couldnt be further down the list.

It wiuld be a really cool concept if we had other games in the lotr universe to complement it outside of shadow of war

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So as an LotR fan you're limited to a stealth game where you play as a baby eating murderer who eats fish or a bad Assassin's Creed knockoff.

At this stage I'm just waiting for a next gen Lego LotR port...
I remember being so hyped when this was announced, I was checking gamespot every two days hoping to see a gameplay trailer for it, shame we will never know what it would've been like.
IIRC we've got someone on Era who worked on it, he talked briefly about his experiences. Don't think it got very far into development.

They must have really regretted that move when Skyrim hit.

Bru

Oct 27, 2017
UK
i just want a game where I can visit the Shire and Rivendell. Please someone make it.

I bought Lord of the Rings Online just for this. DX10 had launched and was fully supported, it was glorious. My lifetime subscription was put to good use. Some of the happiest days of my gaming life were spent in Turbine's recreation of Middle-earth. LotRO has been F2P for quite some time but I'm not sure how well it's aged.

Last edited:

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Yeah... but actually, no. I just cannot be hyped for that.

Let me explore Middle Earth as anyone but Gollum for Eru's sake!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to say it, but this kinda looks like a joke game.

"Hey folks, wanna play a game where you hang out as a shitty half naked emancipated guy running around caves and eating raw fish? No? Anybody?"

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love LOTR but I have zero interest in this. Even if the gameplay turns out great, the design and art direction look so dreadful and off putting I wouldn't want to play it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
No interest in cinematic trailers anymore but it's Daedalic so it will likely be good.

Arkaine

Oct 30, 2017
Well maybe it will answer the question all LOTR fans have..
How did he make the deal with Shelob? I'm joking of course.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This game is one of the biggest WHY's I've ever seen. Everything about this seems so bizarre.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I find the reactions to this game still pretty embarrassing, it's at least a more interesting take than just running around and hitting stuff with an sword.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great, another middle earth game set in god damn mordor. Its a shame we never got a true open world middle earth rpg

That fully explorable Minas Tirith in Dreams really made me crave an open world game set in Middle Earth with its huge fields, woods, mountains and most of all cities. It's totally possible if a fan can already do it in Dreams!

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This trailer at least looks a lot better than those first screenshots of the game (which was our first look at "next-gen" graphics...)

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The most overrated and boring character in LOTR? No thanks

dims

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I just find it impossible to get excited for this, unfortunately
I'm what I'd consider a bigger LotR fan than average. I own several sword replicas, numerous character and environment statues, and the wedding bands of my wife and I are the one ring (made from the same New Zealand shop that made it for the films, Jens Hansen).

I couldn't be more confused by this game's existence, and I certainly cannot find an ounce of excitement within me for any aspect of this game whatsoever.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I wonder if any of the people going "they should have just made an AAA open-world rpg for 100M instead" have any idea who Daedalic is, or how small their team/ budget is.

I am rooting for it, god knows the German industry needs more internationally successful games.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The logo and the music are horrible, I'm going to set my expectations at bottom of the barrel

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if any of the people going "they should have just made an AAA open-world rpg for 100M instead" have any idea who Daedalic is, or how small their team/ budget is.

I am rooting for it, god knows the German industry needs more internationally successful games.
Nope. People hear LOTR and think its an AAA production. Also Daedalic has struggled for a long time now, this could be their last hurrah.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't believe this concept was approved by the publisher. To have been a fly on the wall of that meeting...

Nevertheless, I'm really rooting for this game. I hope it destroys expectations.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You know... In the Gotham Knights thread, when people were like, "I just want to play as Batman in my Batman game," I was inclined to respond with, there's already been four Arkham games in a row where you play as Batman, the Bat family characters are just as interesting, give them a chance to shine, etc... And yet... When I watch this I'm just left thinking, I just want to play as Aragorn or Frodo in my LOTR game. :P

The thing is, Batgirl is arguably cooler than Batman. Gollum, on the other hand, is perhaps the least cool character in the entire LOTR universe. Even the talking trees would be more interesting to play as.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a huge Tolkien fan who's still playing modded BFME 2, I lost my faith in seeing a proper LotR RPG game in my lifetime. We had 2 mechanically great lore was terrible Mordor game and this? I understand that creating a Witcher 3 like experience is extremely rare but using both the movie and book licenses this terrible is something else.

We should've got this.

oh god it still stings after these years

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Nope. People hear LOTR and think its an AAA production. Also Daedalic has struggled for a long time now, this could be their last hurrah.

Yeah, the last couple of years/ games haven't always been great for them. I hope that things will get better again with Gollum and now that they are free of Bastei.

A bit of a shame though to see so many people in this thread reduce one of the greatest fictional worlds ever conceived to "I want to play as the handsome dude with the sword again".

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it is good. Not expecting this before 2022 at the earliest.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I find the reactions to this game still pretty embarrassing, it's at least a more interesting take than just running around and hitting stuff with an sword.
Yeah, people here apparently can't even handle the idea of a lower budget game that might be trying for something different.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im having a hard time caring about this game and they go and release a cg trailer that shows nothing.

Oct 24, 2019
A bit of a shame though to see so many people in this thread reduce one of the greatest fictional worlds ever conceived to "I want to play as the handsome dude with the sword again".

I mean tbf if DC made a Jimmy Olsen game or an Alfred game, they could turn out great, but 90% of people would be wondering why the hell they didn't just make a Batman or Superman game

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look particularly interesting.

If I wanted a Tolkien based videogame set in the Third Age without impinging on the main narrative and licensing issues, then a game following the exploits of the Grey Company during the War of the Ring would be it. For the Second Age, a game with Aldarion, the Numenorean mariner as the protagonist and covering his adventures in Middle-earth and beyond. The First Age would be the complete War of the Jewels, encompassing the five key battles and ultimately, the War of Wrath and final downfall of Melkor. The latter two are impossible of course, due to the Tolkien Estate and Amazon.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Another piece of media where there's a literal flaming eye perched atop the tower lol.

The most overrated and boring character in LOTR? No thanks

Gollum is actually one of the most interesting and conflicting characters in LOTR. I doubt this game will explore that properly of course, but don't do him like that.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I just don't understand how anyone can look at the amazing source material of Tolkien's Middle-Earth and decide that yeah, this is what we're doing.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm torn on this game. On one hand I really think it's neat that they're doing something unconventional that nobody would really expect from this license. On the other hand it still looks very generic and the infinite potential of Middle Earth as a setting is being wasted on another LOTR tie-in set within Mordor (the place that only works when contrasted against the rest of the setting).

Maybe one day I'll get a game set in this world I actually enjoy.