• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
So... This is not the MMO right? Under the skin of Daedelic Entertainment's next-gen adventure The Lord Of The Rings: Gollum.

Curious to see what it is
No! Its an indie adventure game from Daedelic. They do AA stuff like this:

And many point and click adventures like this:
Deponia_Screenshot_01-pc-games_b2article_artwork.png

Or this:
Die-Saeulen-der-Erde-2.jpg

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Wait until they pull a Kojima and you end up playing Sam the man.

"hey Sam, your pal Gandalf here! duuuude i'm kinda busy right now and i need you to take a ring for me to Mordor. don't overthink it, the path is no big deal and you will be done in no time! and don't forget to connect the mountain to our network... i'm sending likes in advance thx!"

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get flashbacks to his past when he first came across the One Ring and was forced out of Hobbit society during his downward spiral:

"No one ever found out what had become of Deagol; he was murdered far from home, and his body was cunningly hidden. But Smeagol returned alone; and he found that none of his family could see him, when he was wearing the ring. He was very pleased with his discovery and he concealed it; and he used it to find out secrets, and he put his knowledge to crooked and malicious uses. He became sharp-eyed and keen-eared for all that was hurtful. The ring had given him power according to his stature. It is not to be wondered at that he became very unpopular and was shunned (when visible) by all his relations. They kicked him, and he bit their feet. He took to thieving, and going about muttering to himself, and gurgling in his throat. So they called him Gollum, and cursed him, and told him to go far away; and his grandmother, desiring peace, expelled him from the family and turned him out of her hole." -

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Of all the potential that the Middle Earth IP has for some fantastic games, I just don't understand why they choose a game with Gollum as the lead.

It's a rare LOTR, so I'll give it a shot and I hope to be surprised, but otherwise I just don't understand why they settled on this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a AAA game, is it? I can't see "AAA Gollum experience" really being the kind of thing that would set the world on fire.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a weird choice for a game, it could actually end up being something special.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested in seeing what this is all about gameplay wise. I feel like Daedalic, with their obvious background in PnC adventures, could do something pretty interesting with this from a narrative and design point of view.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the potential that the Middle Earth IP has for some fantastic games, I just don't understand why they choose a game with Gollum as the lead.

It's a rare LOTR, so I'll give it a shot and I hope to be surprised, but otherwise I just don't understand why they settled on this.
Given that Amazon have scooped up the rights to the Second Age, and WB still have rights to their films, and WB games have the Shadow games, there isn't much in the way of Tolkien material available that isn't First Age material, which is on lock for now with the Tolkien Estate.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get that Gollum is a big name, but if you're going to make a game based on stealth and hunting (all that Gollum ever does), why not make a game about the Rangers? At least with that, you have the opportunity for big encounters and the ability to visit civilized locations. And you don't risk conflicting with the story of the books/movies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
LOOKS LIKE CAPCOM'S BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Sorry couldn't help it anyways i completely forgot about this one

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
How come we haven't gotten a single player open world RPG in the LOTR setting, I know EA tried during PS3-XB360 gen but that was cancelled. It makes so much sense and yet it hasn't happened.

I do think Gollum can be good and hopefully it is.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I would like a good RPG about The Lord of The Rings. Why this isn't happening ?
So much potential being wasted

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i can already imagine how this plays. i bet you're going to have something like gollum vision that helps you stealthing around in some caves or something and the final boss will be avoiding a nazgul.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
People do realise Gollum was a hobbit before becoming Gollum? Pretty sure it won't be a game about sitting in a cave worshipping the ring but guess it's easier to bag on everything that doesn't appeal to you.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be possible to switch between Gollum and Sméagol and each personality will have different playstyle and skills tree. Am excited.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not a fan of any adaptations of Lord of the Rings outside of Hobbit and the trilogy. Anything else going off of the encyclopedia seems like it's trash and an insult to Tolkien's memory.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I honestly have no idea what the game is about and I am a huge LOTR nerd, but I kinda want to not play a game if it's all about Gollum.

But who knows. I'll wait for the official reveal.

People do realise Gollum was a hobbit before becoming Gollum? Pretty sure it won't be a game about sitting in a cave worshipping the ring but guess it's easier to bag on everything that doesn't appeal to you.

Then call it LOTR: Smeagol.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Do we know if this is the Movie license or the Book license that they are working with?

I'm excited, but cautiously. I'm not sure Gollum can actually lead a game even though his story (especially in the timeframe they listed) is interesting...

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this is the Movie license or the Book license that they are working with?

I'm excited, but cautiously. I'm not sure Gollum can actually lead a game even though his story (especially in the timeframe they listed) is interesting...
The rights issue is very complicated, but in an earlier interview, they stated that they had approval from The Tolkien Estate, which also means HarperCollins and Middle-earth Enterprises' involvement in some capacity because the LOTR/Hobbit I.P is solely owned by Middle-earth Enterprises (a subsidiary of Saul Zaentz).

The Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins are also dealing directly with Amazon for the Second Age rights, without Saul Zaentz involvement.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Game is just you staring at the One Ring. 4k 60fps HDR raytracing goodness.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I love how they put a random dragon on the cover instead of the character the game is named after.

I'm not sure I'll play this but it definitely has my interest a lot more than Assassin's Creed: Middle Earth 3 would have.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they put a random dragon on the cover instead of the character the game is named after.

I'm not sure I'll play this but it definitely has my interest a lot more than Assassin's Creed: Middle Earth 3 would have.
It's a fell beast with a Nazgul riding it and Gollum looking up a them in awe or fear.