• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I uh, okay. Action adventure? A stealth game where you play gollum is something i could see working, but how the hell are they gonna pull this off.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
that sounds like one of the dumbest things you can make a lotr game about. this whole announcement is so weird, just a press release with no other info? not even a cg trailer? what for and why today? what have the devs worked on previously and who is publishing? WB? aren't they themselves probably working in a shadow of war sequel?

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
hulk_gollum_by_blackrock3-d5mrteb.jpg

what a strange idea for a game.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the Amazon deal covers the Second Age from various sources, possibly even including the material found in the History of Middle-earth series.

As for this Gollum game, I'd expect more and more of this in the future with the new direction the Tolkien Estate are heading towards.
That's interesting, I did not know about them possibly getting HoME stuff. I thought that's something Christopher Tolkien would be able to keep locked down.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the final boss to be Samwise Gamgee.

A revisionist version where he ends up gnawing Sam's head off and then shoves eleven bread down his neck.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Gandalf said:
The wood was full of the rumor of him, dreadful tales even among beasts and birds. The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests; it crept into holes to find the young; it slipped through windows to find cradles.
Sounds like a fun action-adventure! (Though being true to those anecdotes would intrigue me.)

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
that sounds like one of the dumbest things you can make a lotr game about. this whole announcement is so weird, just a press release with no other info? not even a cg trailer? what for and why today? what have the devs worked on previously and who is publishing? WB? aren't they themselves probably working in a shadow of war sequel?

Maybe it's one of those things: they announce they got a big license, make some headlines and pitch it to publishers to get more funding. Or maybe it's self-published. As many here said, it's probably an "AA" game, like Styx was.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I must have missed this announcement!

Could be cool I guess, just make it primarily a stealth game and I'd probably like it.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
"No one ever found out what had become of Deagol; he was murdered far from home, and his body was cunningly hidden. But Smeagol returned alone; and he found that none of his family could see him, when he was wearing the ring. He was very pleased with his discovery and he concealed it; and he used it to find out secrets, and he put his knowledge to crooked and malicious uses. He became sharp-eyed and keen-eared for all that was hurtful. The ring had given him power according to his stature. It is not to be wondered at that he became very unpopular and was shunned (when visible) by all his relations. They kicked him, and he bit their feet. He took to thieving, and going about muttering to himself, and gurgling in his throat. So they called him Gollum, and cursed him, and told him to go far away; and his grandmother, desiring peace, expelled him from the family and turned him out of her hole." - Shadows of the Past

Playing as the antagonist would make for a cool concept.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Err, to be honest, I can't say I have any interest whatsoever in playing as Gollum.

Best of luck, though. Could be truly unique—just hopefully not as disrespectful to the setting as certain other Middle Earth games.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
anybody with a copy willing to do a breakdown of details? I'm very curious, even if I'm skeptical at understanding how this could possibly work. EDGE giving it a cover is probably encouraging though.

EDIT: just looked at the developer's pedigree. What an odd choice.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't think i've ever played a lotr game or watched the movies and wished i could play as freaking gollum.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Don't see why he couldn't come back. He has a few gaming roles in his resume yet I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't reprise his role.

I very strongly doubt this studio has Serkis money though. What was the last video game he did? Heavenly Sword? Or is there something more recent in his portfolio?

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god what the hell? I'm like. Tentatively on board just because playing as Gollum is such a bonkers premise combined with a totally left field developer has me thinking that there's gotta be something interesting underlying it

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is super cool, the skepticism seems a bit cynical. Big budget games that try different, non obvious stuff is something to encourage

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is super cool, the skepticism seems a bit cynical. Big budget games that try different, non obvious stuff is something to encourage

Yup yup. Not sure why so negative, it's an interesting concept in a game development world fairly devoid of interesting concepts. Reminds me of something that would've been made back in the late 80's/early 90's.