• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't appreciate P&G using black people as marketing props (especially in light of the recent Nike allegations), this is something I've endured regularly. I've always been harassed in non-black spaces but once I got my tattoos folks went into overdrive with the micro (and not so micro) aggression. I became pretty desensitized to it early on so it is what it is.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb real.

I hate that our corporate overlords are getting good at crafting ads and conveying messages like this, but this one hits close to home.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man. How old were these blokes? I don't think anyone wouldn't immediately realise how racist that was.

Problem is you'd probably get a 'i would have said that to a white person! It's because his phone's going off, not because he's black.' Even assuming that's true it's an obviously different context.

They were both middle aged and one was a woman and aside from those comments they are perfectly nice and friendly people to deal with which is what makes it so baffling and frustrating.

And exactly right, have seen it many times how lacking people can be in self reflection rather than just making an excuse

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns regarding racism
Guess I'm lucky I'm in my city this isn't something that happens to me very often. I would have like them to show some of the opposite "look" I get from my own people when I bring my white wife around the old neighborhood. I notice that way more often and fine it extra annoying.

But gotta keep white people as the enemy I suppose.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not part of any minority myself. But I have 2 wonderful parents who wanted to give some orphans from Haiti and Cambodia a second chance.

It pains me to know that sometimes, we're being looked at differently... for no good reasons.

I don't suffer directly but I love my brothers/sisters and don't want them to go through this.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 6'4" black Male, so I know this look well. I'm seen as an inherent threat in too many people's eye. It is really tiring.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol as a black lawyer that video is too real.

Two weekends back I went to a police station as a government appointed attorney to provide legal assistance to an attested suspect.

As I get to the door of the police station I hear the lock turn and the cop stare me down on the other side. I try the door and he points at the doorbell.

I ring and his voice comes over the speaker '' what do you want. Why are you here '' in the rudest tone you can think of.

I reply. I'm a state appointed attorney and you're keeping me from my client who is to be interrogated within the hour. Could you open the door now please?

He immediately opens up switches his tone to the most kiss ass tone you can imagine and apologises haha.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
But do they? Hell, I don't want to minimize what they go through but there are still some privileges caked into the experience they have. I've had friends tell me how their employers are more eager to hire white faces for their Eikaiwa (regardless of ability) because of how it will look. Somewhat related, I had a conversation with an older white guy last year about getting the look in Japan. He seemed to be getting it until he added the implication that black guys deserve the treatment because we're uppity. And it's shit like that that makes me think, nah, they don't really get it.

We're in this together, my dude. Just return the nod when we give you the nod.

giphy.gif

Always.

Also, last night I was called a nigger by a customer. It was strange because I knew something was going to happen with it being the 4th of July. Doesn't get more American than that.

If I didn't have my wife and two sons I would have ripped him apart. It didn't hit me until the end of my shift and I just balled crying. I feel powerless and this is all really bringing me to the edge of my sanity.

I live in Buffalo and we're trying so desperately to get out of this country. No where is perfect, I know - but there is a unique hatred for black people in America. It's woven in.

edit: sorry I know that's off topic, but I needed to vent and didn't wanna make a thread

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Gotten this look plenty of times, and sometimes not even from whites but other non-black ethnicities. Thing is - what used to bother me I now relish in. Once I notice how uncomfortable me existing makes someone else I dial it up a notch to really stick it theur craw that I'm in their space and I'm not going anywhere.

Gets me and the missus a good laugh all the time.

Guess I'm lucky I'm in my city this isn't something that happens to me very often. I would have like them to show some of the opposite "look" I get from my own people when I bring my white wife around the old neighborhood. I notice that way more often and fine it extra annoying.

Keep your Stacy Dash brand of anti-blackness to yourself.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I've never noticed "the look". I've literally been told by white people verbatim that I look non-threatening. All the racism that I've experienced has been in the form of underhanded comments about my intellect in academic settings (by teachers and peers) and random off the cuff "you're the only cool black person I know" types of comments.

And if I'm being FOR REAL FOR REAL...a lot of those comments came from non-white Latinos. They hate us too.

There's always one who has to say it. So fucking embarrassing.

latest

Last edited:

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno man. How old were these blokes? I don't think anyone wouldn't immediately realise how racist that was.

Problem is you'd probably get a 'i would have said that to a white person! It's because his phone's going off, not because he's black.' Even assuming that's true it's an obviously different context.

I've been routinely amazed by how people truly don't immediately understand the context difference in these cases. Sometimes it's genuine, it comes from really not thinking about the different experience. Sometimes it isn't genuine at all and they know exactly what they are doing even if in their mind they're "just joking". Both are problems - the former because it indicates just a general lack of consideration and maybe knowledge.

I've had to try to explain this over and over to family members when they say or do something that given the context is a terrible thing to say to or about a minority. In their mind "but I'd say the same thing to a white person" is a cure-all. And they aren't lying, they would, but that doesn't make it ok. I've been able to get through to some but others are lost causes....

Edit: and to be clear those "lost causes" I refer to I've had to just accept are NOT genuine. They know what they are doing. I do my best to avoid them at this point in general.

Last edited:

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
As a Hispanic, I always get a little anxious whenever I visit the US and talk spanish in public. I've gotten judgemental looks and eye rolls. I know it's nowhere near the experience that PoCs get but I have an idea.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You don't need to apologize, man.

If you don't already, definitely share those thoughts with your wife from time to time. There's a little too much of "gotta shoulder everything and hold it in" with men in general, and black men especially.

But as for right now - I see your post and I know the feeling. You aren't alone.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Being tall and Black definitely makes it worse as you get people not only giving you the look but people "surprised" at how tall you are on top of it. I will say though that in regards to the US, I get the look "less often" in Southern California than I do in other parts of the US.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Was recently serving a white customer at my pharmacy. As he was filling out information he kept looking at this young black man minding his own business behind him in the line, which was made much worse by the fact that the young man was giving him like two arms' length of space. Must've looked like three times.

Wanted to tell him so bad "He's not going to rob you, asshole."

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Whenever there's some news about brown people doing shit, I get the LOOKĀ® for a couple days in the subway or when doing groceries. I'm in France tho.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Black Brit here. And yup.

I remember being 15 years old and an old lady crossed the street to avoid me. I was skinny as a rake (still am, 25 years later) and at the time barely 5'5".

My experiences in the US have been far worse. As an adult I've had outright racism from people in New York, where The Look turned into outright ' this white dude can't even look AT me and doesn't want to talk to me' (but was all chatty to my Polish wife bare minutes before when she passed), along with other wonderful things.

Funnily enough I'm writing about all these experiences in a future book - The Look and The Nod is pretty much undercurrent of the whole thing because it's been present through my whole life, like so many others.

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
The look is one thing, but you haven't truly lived until your presence has made someone full on RUN AWAY

Last edited:

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The look is one thing, but you haven't truly loved until your presence has made someone full on RUN AWAY

One time I was walking around alone late at night. Cloaked in my natural camouflage so I guess the guy ahead couldn't see me. He slows down as nears a street lamp and by this point I can tell he's a bit tipsy. He gets off his bike to take a piss and reaches for his zipper...he sees me, jumps onto his bicycle, and pedals away as quickly as he could.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
hmm.. am i inadvertedly giving people this look, if im just stressed as fuck and look more stern than usual? even when i feel normal and think of my demeanor as neutral i've gotten complaints like "why do you look so angry" lol (only from other whites though). i guess its because i dont really smile..?

i've noticed at work sometimes when i deal with non-white folk they sometimes come off as scared of me, but i dunno. can't get into people's heads so.. i'm certainly not a scary looking big nazi or anything, just a scrawny-ish old geek.

i suspect i do it, because every now and then a person might first look at me with a disappointed/apprehensive face, but after a moment of me talking friendly small talk they drop their guard (sometimes in a dramatic way, like a big "phew, this guy doesnt seem like a racist fuckface after all"). just yesterday i met a young Somali guy (Somalis are REALLY discriminated here) and when i asked his name (i guess with a serious/stern voice) he looked at me with a frightened look on his face, but after just a minute of basic small talk we were best buddies and he was super nice and thanked me profusely for the good treatment (i work in a hospital transporting patients, took him to take an MRI).. i dunno what happened tbh.

what am i supposed to do? i work basically minimum wage, breaking my body just to pay food and rent so i reserve the right to look and feel stressed/angry at times lol. i treat everyone exactly the same though and repeat the same tired lines dozens of times a day, i never change my behavior.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Very real.

I live in London. Shopkeepers (or their friends) follow me around the shop. White people, usually eastern European white people cross the road when I'm behind them, slow down so I can pass them and so much more.

Something I feel that isn't spoken about enough and I feel a lot of people from other races don't get is just HOW MUCH black people of all ages have to self-police themselves in public. Subconscious or consciously.

Me and a few of my friends were looking for a parking space near a club. we saw this white lady packing her shopping into the boot of her car and my friend pulled up and asked her if we have the space once she's finished.

She said "Yeah that's fine" but we all picked up on "the look" she gave us.....instead of packing all her things in the boot as she was doing to begin she threw everything ok the back seats and drove off. This was at 3pm on a busy main road in East London.

After we parked up we sat in silence for a while and ended up saying the same thing at damn near the same time.

It was about how we all changed our tone, even sat up straight just for one of us asked her a simple question. We ended up getting in late and having to pay more for entry because we sat there for so long just speaking about how often we may change our behaviours ever so slightly so that we don't seem or come across as intimidating... so people don't feel threatened.

It's long.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of a sudden, white people start to get what other minorities go through, but in a safe environment where the majority won't drag them into the streets and beat the shit out of them.
not really the same at all. people give you looks because you're out of the ordinary, but it still comes with all the associated privileges including people going out of their way to help you out and seeing you as a financial opportunity and prioritizing you if they run a business.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This message is unequivocally right, but it sucks that it's being spread by P&G. It adds to their image of being "socially conscious", and all the while, they're depending on child labor for palm oil farming, among what I'm sure is a ton of other disgusting crap.
Like, it's great that this message is spread, but it sucks big time that it's in effect in service of whitewashing huge corporations like this.

Merc_

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's a pain. I'm a 6'4 black man and it's amazing how afraid of me people seem even when I've engaged in pleasant conversation with them.

Reading this post makes it very clear why you get that "look" from your own.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
If I get the look, I'm completely oblivious to it at this point. Too much effort in acknowledging a white person is uncomfortable.

Big fan of the nod. I'm def appreciate not being the lone minority in a public place.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Yea that seems about right. It's quite the culture shock being down here for the last several years and people not even acknowledging other's existence when they walk past each other on the street. Not a smile, not a head nod. Bothers the fuck out of me, tbh.

But yea, I try to be as friendly as possible all the time. I'm on a first-name basis with all of the security guards at my sub-division. Even brought them pizza once. Not trying to become a statistic so I pocket them and hope all is well if they get a call to my residence one day.

It's really something how we got to play chess like that right? It's to make sure we aren't a threat and to not be statistics in our own communities/spaces.

Sigh the Black experience

Jan 18, 2018
I live in 90% White and Asian area, I get the looks daily, shits just expected at this point and ain't shit I can do about it.
Yeah man, same, I live in a place in the Nashville area called Bellevue, so you know I get looks. When I just started working at starbucks I dealt with so many people being angry that I worked there, so many people being afraid to even go through my line. Now they all love me and I can't go to a grocery store without one of them trying to talk to me or assuming they can bother my 7 month old daughter. So many old white ladies I don't know ask to hold her and I always say no. They always get offended, too. I gotta get outta here.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Personally, I've never noticed "the look". I've literally been told by white people verbatim that I look non-threatening.
I'm not sure this is a compliment at all, when I really think about it.

Get you a hoodie, fam.

It's really something how we got to play chess like that right? It's to make sure we aren't a threat and to not be statistics in our own communities/spaces.

Sigh the Black experience
Yep.

Just a nigger in a coupe at the end of the day to some of these folks. *plays Story of OJ one more time*

Momma raised no fools and I plan on hitting my gramp's age of 100. I'll be damned if one of these clowns in blue take me out the game early.

As a Hispanic POC, would it be acceptable to give a black man the Nod in solidarity or no?
It would make me feel better if I got one from you on the street, so yes. Generally speaking, everyone feels a little better when people acknowledge each other's existence. I really don't know why people don't do it in some places. Flashing a smile and/or head nod requires so little energy and so few muscles. Just do it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
As a light-skinned black guy, I got the look on a damn near daily basis for 30+ years from both white and black people. Too black looking to not have white people harass me, and too light skinned for any black people to want to be friends with. It's lead to a mostly isolated life where in the south, I had to find other friends that were a mix of races and cultures which was pretty rare where I used to live. However, I loved that my friends used to call out people who couldn't stop staring at us so they'd walk away embarrassed.

It's also that look which helped make me successful and land a pretty high paying job. Nothing gets me as motivated (outside of wanting to give my family the best life that I can) other than wanting to be better than those who look down upon me. Since I moved out of the south to where I am now, I've no longer gotten the look. And even though it lacks the diversity of where I lived, the people here just mind their own business and are pretty friendly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is I find myself limiting myself, like I don't eat or shop in certain parts of town because I don't want no static. And I am not talking about the places that wave the confederate flag proudly.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Black/Hispanic here. This hit home. I try to look as non-threatening as possible in White/Asian/Jewish neighborhoods. Sometimes I find myself walking faster and past people while looking at my phone so I don't frighten them or get the look. Then I resume my walking speed. As a child I didn't get looks but once I got older, I found myself trying to exhibit a "I'm harmless" vibe. Alas, what can I do. It sucks.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I remember fondly when I worked at Circuit City I had a manager come up to me and tell me to keep an eye on some kids on the CD section. Turns out they were black and brown teens. "Just act like you are straightening up the CDs." He told me when I asked him how I would keep an eye on them. I knew where he was coming from, I knew it was a thing that happened in retail shops, but I had never experienced it. It shook me to my core. I probably should have filed a report with HR at the district/corporate level, but I had no idea how to do that and I was a dumb 19 year old and I had been taught to always do what my superiors told me.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I try to make eye contact and smile and say hi or at least nod to every PoC I see when I'm out in public because I'm aware of the look and want them to feel included. I wonder if I'm just making it worse by looking like I try too hard?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I'm Filipino and moving from Toronto to Ottawa and then to a mostly white area in Eastern PA and school in my teens was full of this stuff.

People need to experience life as an extreme minority to get it at all. It kinda really sucks.

And that's one real-ass reason why I'm content with life here. You're not so self-conscious about any of that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
I live in a really well off neighborhood. I can count on my hands the amount of black people other than myself I have seen. I don't get many if any stares. Most of the times when I see another black person i'm like

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Oh man, I totally give and get the nod ALL THE TIME.

Wait, am I only realizing now that I get the nod from PoCs here? White people never seem to do it...
Was about to ask if PoC were fine with the head nod. I'm white and do it most of the time. It may also be completely different given this comment:
Is "the nod" different from the standard nod that we give total strangers for inexplicable purpose?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt meet black people until my teens so Im sure Ive been guilty of staring in the past.

It sucks that yall have to deal with this, its bullshit. Being a white blonde boy in Mexico for middle school I had to deal with it for a tiny bit but it obviously doesn't compare.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Heh it's actually been a while since I've noticed a bad look like the video. I'm actually a bit oblivious in general to anyone eying me positively or negatively.

Yeah I understand people being wary of the source of these types of videos but I like to be a bit positive and hope that even though the intent behind the video is likely very cynical, it's better than our media and companies completely clamming up on expressing any progressive ideals at all. At the very least a video like this might genuinely hit hard and make things click for a handful of ignorant people.

Also glad ResetERA has an imbed function because I dread the like/dislike ratio and toxic comments that the video likely already has. Bigots are grossly coordinated when it comes to finding and inundating progressive YT vids with hatred and vileness.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
One thing that has made for an interesting social experiment has been living in Japan. When you're a foreigner, it doesn't matter what color your skin is. You are always an "other". It doesn't matter how much japanese you speak, or how long you've lived here.

All of a sudden, white people start to get what other minorities go through, but in a safe environment where the majority won't drag them into the streets and beat the shit out of them.

In my experience a lot of them just get racist (or more racist) even though it should be the opposite lol.

Then they use Asia to deflect like "you think that's racist you should go to Japan!"