• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It is known and ok that art and animation uses other work as reference material. It is very common and you can find endless examples across mediums.

And it is also possible that Disney maybe went a touch too far with how much singular reference material they used here.

These things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
And Tezuka's anime biggest influence was Disney.
Also The disney one is better told and more exciting. And Kimba is not actually original either.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't read the Jungle Emperor manga, but it's considered to be very good, but not really same story.

Tha 97 Kimba movie was pretty good though. People should give that a watch.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Considering how ubiquitous the "it's actually just Hamlet with lions" retort is, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a deliberate meme sent out into the world to downplay and distract from how Disney clearly got caught copying someone else's homework.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What bothered me the most, was also the fact that I loved The Lion King so much and they kept claiming how it was their "first" original feature (which happened to be based off a theme).

After seeing these pics back like 20 years ago, it bugged me that Disney just kept denying ANY connection. One interview basically has creators/animators went on to say "oh yeah we watched Kimba but weren't directly inspired by it!" Simba was originally white etc.... It was all watered down to "pure coincidence", and that I don't entirely buy. I think it just bugs me the most about the whole thing.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I still remember the first time I saw The Lion King, my mom (who is Japanese) was like "that looks like Jungle Taitei".

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how ubiquitous the "it's actually just Hamlet with lions" retort is, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a deliberate meme sent out into the world to downplay and distract from how Disney clearly got caught copying someone else's homework.

People just don't want to grapple with the fact that one of their favorite movies, definitely ripped-off some elements from another work.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen this over the years and yeah it looks pretty bad, almost as bad as the responses in this thread. It's like as soon as someone mentions anime people completely lose their fucking minds. You're free to like the movie as much as you want, but they clearly ripped someone off, which is a bad look regardless of how bad the original may be.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Maybe the whole thing wouldn't be an issue if Disney didn't stop the people who made Kimba from releasing their products stateside.
It's kinda like if after the Hunchback of Notredame they lawyered up and forbade anyone from making an adaptation of Hugo's book.
And seriously this is way less blatant than the Nadia rippoff they did years later.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If i recall correctly, dunno how accurate it is, Disney began work on this as a Kimba movie assuming they would easily secure the rights, when they were told "no", they basically went "fuck it, whe're doing it anyways but with gambling and OCs!"

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining
"Kimba anime resurfaces. Lion King is canceled."

Lol. What a lame thread.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017

When I heard that The lion King copied Kimba, I was skeptical like most people at first but after watching this video I was shocked at how much it looks like Kimba.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
No one is saying that the Lion King isn't a great movie, or that Disney's artistry isn't top notch... but this blind belief that this story just came out of thin air, or that the similarities between Kimba are 100% coincidence you're absolutely blinded by nostalgia.
It's not people don't see the coincidence, it's just that many, like myself, simply don't care. So doing a deep dive into some camera angles isn't really going to change much in proving a point. I can see the similarities just fine. Kimba did a crap job taking from Hamlet. TLK were "inspired" by some scenes in Kimba and took from Hamlet, as well.

I also know Kimba doesn't have Jeremey Irons singing Be Prepared or the opening sequence. So 10 points to Gryffindor.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
BLASPHEMY!

Next you're going to tell me that The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Snow White, and Cinderella weren't original Disney stories!

More like LYING KING am I right?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's not people don't see the coincidence, it's just that many, like myself, simply don't care. So doing a deep dive into some camera angles isn't really going to change much in proving a point. I can see the similarities just fine. Kimba did a crap job taking from Hamlet. TLK were "inspired" by some scenes in Kimba and took from Hamlet, as well.

I also know Kimba doesn't have Jeremey Irons singing Be Prepared or the opening sequence. So 10 points to Gryffindor.
Honestly, I'm completely fine with this take. But there are definitely people who truly believe it's 100% coincidence and come up with lame excuses for it being similar. As I said, I love Lion King and I agree it's the better overall work.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Also Aladdin blatantly copied off Thief and the Cobbler, to the point where when the latter film was finally "finished" (read: butchered) and released in the US it would repackaged as an Aladdin knock-off.

902a73e59437d971-600x338.jpg

fdfff.png

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There's no way anyone who studied animation wouldn't have known about Kimba if even The Simpsons could mock them about it.

The idea was probably pitched to some team of executives, who approved it as an original story, and no one on the production team would dare to say otherwise.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this dumb, dead-horse of a discourse resurface after two decades is an ominous foreshadow to when Evangelion finally get released on Netflix.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
The replies in the thread are incredible to me.
I guess most people don't care about the respect of Intellectual Property.

Yes, both movies are based on Hamlet.
But yes, Lion King is also a huge rip-off of Kimba.

I mean, what if a japanese studio decides to do an adaptation of Hamlet, but with lions? And what if they took whole scenes from the Lion King?

Would it be ok?

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney fans sure are defensive huh? Reminds me of the Black Swan thing. I guess no one cares when the person is dead.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This received attention back then. Even Entertainment Tonight covered it and the.Simpsons poked fun at it.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I'm completely fine with this take. But there are definitely people who truly believe it's 100% coincidence and come up with lame excuses for it being similar. As I said, I love Lion King and I agree it's the better overall work.
Oh, I know they exist. It's pretty hard to deny the similarities, like MJ in Billie Jean being "inspired" by Bob Fosse in The Little Prince.

Acknowledge them, say you still don't care, and move on. Hell, Led Zeppelin fans do it all the time.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Disney's history of ripping off things goes all the way back to Steamboat Willie and Buster Keaton.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The replies in the thread are incredible to me.
I guess most people don't care about the respect of Intellectual Property.

Yes, both movies are based on Hamlet.
But yes, Lion King is also a huge rip-off of Kimba.

I mean, what if a japanese studio decides to do an adaptation of Hamlet, but with lions? And what if they took whole scenes from the Lion King?

Would it be ok?
You should see what they did to the guy who published a book that was strangely similar to little nemo.
Guy didn't have the backing of big corp and was bullied out of his property.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

When I heard that The lion King copied Kimba, I was skeptical like most people at first but after watching this video I was shocked at how much it looks like Kimba.

This is... a lot more than I had thought. It's one too many "coincidences", really. This goes beyond Disney and using Hamlet/timeless fairy tales. Disney DID have to get permission to use IPs for stuff like Peter Pan. Kimba had only been made less than 30 years prior, so the timing thing is also something.

CesspoolofHatred

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
so does that mean The Lion King live action remake will be the first successful live action anime adaptation

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's blatantly obvious the Lion King was supposed to be a Kimba adaptation. Something went wrong and they said "fuck it, lean into the Hamlet angle and deny everything."

The fact that they're both loose adaptations of Hamlet doesn't make it ok.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I don't remember Simba faking insanity and contemplating suicide. Likewise, I don't recall Hamlet blaming himself for his father's death and running away from home. Just about the only plot point in common between the two is the usurption of the throne by the protagonist's uncle.
and ya know ghosts, two goofballs running around making jokes, fleeing their homeland, and killing the uncle in a fight

and yes hamlet runs away from home

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
maybe Disney shouldn't have been marketing it as an original feature that's described as "unique" and pushing that that for years...

some people in this thread think it's stupid and lame to bring this up, but if one of your beloved gaming companies/publishers were doing this shit, you would all up in arms

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget this
81nWSEeyOkL._SX342_.jpg
51IfUrAHkLL._SY445_.jpg

Edit: Both inspired by Jules Verne of course but Disney were rather shameless with what they ripped from Nadia.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know so many people worked for Disney at ResetEra. Anyone trying to downplay the similarities is hilarious, The Lion King is a way better movie, but to act like the only thing they share is Hamlet is disingenuous.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't remember Simba faking insanity and contemplating suicide. Likewise, I don't recall Hamlet blaming himself for his father's death and running away from home. Just about the only plot point in common between the two is the usurption of the throne by the protagonist's uncle.

Prince Caspain's story is also Hamlet as is the story of Uthred of Bebbanburg

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah but did you know that the game we know as Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic?