• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it. It was ok. I enjoyed Jungle Book more, though.

You know what was really funny? That awful clip of Mufasa's death and Simba's reaction with the terrible looking zoom is played twice in the movie. Once on Mufasa's death and the second time as a flashback when Scar reveals he killed Mufasa. I was laughing so hard.

It's better/more expressive than Kindom Hearts 2's rendition at least (admittedly not a particularly high bar).
They did and didn't at the same time. Honestly I think the scene to replace it was better.

It's a parody of a famous Disney scene and is pulled off hilariously

I thought the same.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the review thread, the movie felt like I was watching a nature documentary with clips spliced to sync up with The Lion King, and then the animals were singing and talking without any emotion on top of that.

I really didn't like it and this is easily the worst of the Disney remakes(and the only real bad one so far).

Definitely need to watch the original again to wash out the bad taste of this one.

Instead of that Timon acts like Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast about to sing "Be Our Guest" and both him and Pumba leave screaming as he says guest. It's actually pretty funny.

Timon and Pumba were the only bright spots of the movie IMO

Beyonce as Nala was a major low point, she was terrible.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Timone and Pumba were absolutely fantastic and in many ways an IMPROVEMENT over the original. Movie basically nailed the humor, but absolutely dropped the ball on the emotion, which is a cardinal sin. Quite disappointed. It reaffirmed to me that Aladdin was actually pretty good, because it had reasons to exist.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Well, it's 30 min longer than the original so there's that lol

The significant extra scenes suck to me.

Simba's fur and shit
Zazu has a fight scene
Sarabi has a longer convo with scar.

Those are the ones I can remember. Everyone feel free to add

Timone and Pumba were absolutely fantastic and in many ways an IMPROVEMENT over the original. Movie basically nailed the humor, but absolutely dropped the ball on the emotion, which is a cardinal sin. Quite disappointed. It reaffirmed to me that Aladdin was actually pretty good, because it had reasons to exist.

I like the old Timon and Pumbaa more, there was more jokes in the older version. I do love the jokes at the end of the new hakuna matata.

I do agree the emotion has been sucked dry in this movie... I actually laughed when Mufasa died.

And then when young simbas "noooo!" is repeated later in the film.... I laughed harder. The only thing emotionally gripping in this film is the background music.

I found myself chuckling at parts in which I cried during my original viewing because the realism angle makes it hard to take seriously.

Im glad I'm not the only one laughing at serious scenes!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately, and very disappointingly, this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The animals look almost completely devoid of emotions. It was real tough trying to stay awake for this.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
is it true that mufasa ends up getting killed by scar? seems kinda dark, I wasn't expecting the story to go in that direction

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The significant extra scenes suck to me.

Simba's fur and shit
Zazu has a fight scene
Sarabi has a longer convo with scar.

Those are the ones I can remember. Everyone feel free to add

I like the old Timon and Pumbaa more, there was more jokes in the older version. I do love the jokes at the end of the new hakuna matata.

I do agree the emotion has been sucked dry in this movie... I actually laughed when Mufasa died.

And then when young simbas "noooo!" is repeated later in the film.... I laughed harder. The only thing emotionally gripping in this film is the background music.

Im glad I'm not the only one laughing at serious scenes!
The Sarabi conversation seemed like an altered version of a scene intended for the original movie tbf

And yeah I get hit hard by sad scenes, but I just couldn't help but laugh when this movie tried to pull it.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the most cynical cash grab I have ever seen. After seeing it, I'm upset my wife put another five into Disney's pockets.

I cannot believe how soulless and lacking in emotion it was. It was much worse than I had feared from the trailers. I am genuinely annoyed the with the general movie going public for perpetuating this kind of bullshit.

Aladdin was better than this. Yes you heard me.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I must have seen a completely different movie than you guys.

I thought this was the best of the Disney remakes, I enjoyed it a ton. Loved how it felt like something out of Planet Earth.

My only real complaints are that Rafiki is my second favorite Disney character (the first being Mushu), and I didn't like his personality-change in this at all. Due to them looking like real lions, it was hard to keep track of who was Simba and who was Scar in that final battle, and that a lot of the songs with Beyonce in them seemed to be a huge miss due to what felt like her not really trying - where was the emotion on her part in "the lion sleeps tonight?" Glover killed it, like always.

Timon and Pumba were especially fantastic, might like them more than the original, even if they're just Seth Rogan playing Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner playing Billy Eichner. I really enjoyed how their jungle oasis got a bit more personality thanks to the other miscreant animals living there. I thought this movie solved my only real complaint about the animated movie, which was at 88 minutes long, we don't really get a chance to get to know most of the characters outside of Simba, Scar, and maybe Timon/Pumba. I thought this one had much better character development, especially when it comes to some minor characters like Sarabi.

As far as music goes, I think a lot of the songs in the animated movie were done much better, but the instrumentals/non-lyrical songs in this one are F A N TA S T I C. That soundtrack is incredible.

The original is still always going to be there for me to enjoy, I liked how different this one felt. It was much better than Aladdin, Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast for sure.

Last edited:

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Rafiki was butchered in this film.

I did like the Rafiki fireflies scene with him... but it's mainly because I love the background music. To me this is the only memorable Rafiki scene. His new fight scene sucked.

My favorite Rafiki scene in the original movie is not in this film:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The deletion of that Rafiki scene is one of the worst changes, yeah. It's wasn't some fluff scene in the original, that is literally ome of the most important scenes in the movie.

But no, I guess it was more important to have an extended hair scene and to give everybody a little fight scene at the end.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Years ago when my sister was rather young, she used to dress up are Dachshunds and a little other puppy we used to have and like play little shop at the stuff in the dogs would occasionally give weird looks but never anything that would sync up to what was actually going on in whatever play situation they were in...

What I described above is how I felt with this movie. Animals are hard to work with because they both don't do what you want (CGI fixes that), but also are not us and can't express in a way we can or recognize... With a few exceptions like dog manipulation etc.

I think, IN MY OPINION, that this realistic look could work. In like a story with fantastical creatures. Things we would want to exist, things that look scary or whatever.. but because they aren't real, we can alter to make with familiar expression. (Think Smaug lol or centaurs?)

I didn't like this at all. Think mainly because the original was one of my... Things. Something I hold in great regard. I knew every line. Collected posters, pogs, comics, etc. Never got too crazy, but this felt so empty to me. Like it could have been better, but lacked

Need to sleep on this. My emotions are probably going to betray me

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They did and didn't at the same time. Honestly I think the scene to replace it was better.

It's a parody of a famous Disney scene and is pulled off hilariously
The entire sequence was brilliant, the dead pan stares showed that if they want to they could have easily emoted the faces far more than they did in the rest of the movie, a deliberate choice for sure.
The Simba fur ball scene was so boring and clearly meant to pad the movie out. I did love the lion sleeps tonight scene though.
It wasn't padding, at least for me. Said this earlier but it works as a circle of life metaphor, showing Simba's role within the circle and by ending up in Rafiki's hand in such a manner not only does he find out Simba is alive, but he is lost without purpose and in his own way removed from the circle.

Man, I must have seen a completely different movie than you guys.

I thought this was the best of the Disney remakes, I enjoyed it a ton. Loved how it felt like something out of Planet Earth.

My only real complaints are that Rafiki is my second favorite Disney character (the first being Mushu), and I didn't like his personality-change in this at all. Due to them looking like real lions, it was hard to keep track of who was Simba and who was Scar in that final battle, and that a lot of the songs with Beyonce in them seemed to be a huge miss due to what felt like her not really trying - where was the emotion on her part in "the lion sleeps tonight?" Glover killed it, like always.

Timon and Pumba were especially fantastic, might like them more than the original, even if they're just Seth Rogan playing Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner playing Billy Eichner. I really enjoyed how their jungle oasis got a bit more personality thanks to the other miscreant animals living there. I thought this movie solved my only real complaint about the animated movie, which was at 88 minutes long, we don't really get a chance to get to know most of the characters outside of Simba, Scar, and maybe Timon/Pumba. I thought this one had much better character development, especially when it comes to some minor characters like Sarabi.

As far as music goes, I think a lot of the songs in the animated movie were done much better, but the instrumentals/non-lyrical songs in this one are F A N TA S T I C. That soundtrack is incredible.

The original is still always going to be there for me to enjoy, I liked how different this one felt. It was much better than Aladdin, Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast for sure.
Exactly. Its not better than the original nor does it remove it from existence, but it is different and offers something new which frankly the other remakes did not.

Rafiki was butchered in this film.

I did like the Rafiki fireflies scene with him... but it's mainly because I love the background music. To me this is the only memorable Rafiki scene. His new fight scene sucked.

My favorite Rafiki scene in the original movie is not in this film:

Yeah Rafiki here is a sore spot I will admit. To me it felt like Rafiki was much more quiet, just pulling and pushing at some points to advance the plot and that is it. While it would have been out of place, I really missed this scene where everything was explained, however the new dialogue did bring the news to Simba in such a way which felt more natural. I'm conflicted.

Another thing I really liked is that the movie is not just exclusively adultt animals. Down by the watering hole the animals have their children. The now populated Jungle Paradise(or as I like to call it the Jungle Anarchy Collective) has herbivore families living in peace, It just feels more natural this way, I dunno.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
You know what was really funny? That awful clip of Mufasa's death and Simba's reaction with the terrible looking zoom is played twice in the movie. Once on Mufasa's death and the second time as a flashback when Scar reveals he killed Mufasa. I was laughing so hard.
That is practically a shot-for-shot remake of the original. The zoom is in the original as well.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Because it had realistic looking animals?
Yes, falling Mufasa looks odd in the realistic style and that camera movement, while fairly common in animation, is pretty much never used in live action/realistic looking movies because that kind of fast movement doesn't work in real life.

I mean, IMO it's painfully obvious which one looks worse if you look at them next to each other.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is Just Can't Wait to be King as colourful and fun on this?
That's like the one scene I can't see working well with this artstyle.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, falling Mufasa looks odd in the realistic style and that camera movement, while fairly common in animation, is pretty much never used in live action/realistic looking movies because that kind of fast movement doesn't work in real life.

I mean, IMO it's painfully obvious which one looks worse if you look at them next to each other.

It's not just shots that it works in animation but not life-action (although it definitely is that) it's also that the film language of nature documentary film making simply don't have the same dramatic shots. I don't think there is a good way for a lion to "murder" another lion by throwing them off a cliff and showing the son reacting to it without it looking a little goofy.

I really don't see much different between the effect of both shots, even if the mediums are different, and I'm not caught up on it like you are. I think the new movie sells the danger of the scene better, of not just Simba, but how much Mufasa is putting himself at risk by trying to rescue Simba. The scene earlier with the hyenas sets up Mufasa's character as well with a hint of his pride and the lengths he'd go to to protect his son. I felt more with the scene now than seeing it as a kid, besides just the shock of seeing Mufasa die as a kid.

It's not going to make it much worse because some camera techniques don't translate directly.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight and yeah, everything people have been saying about this movie was true. It's inferior to the original in every way.

As impressive as the tech is, the overly realistic approach just sucked most of the charm and emotion out of the movie.

Timon and Pumba were the only highlights and delivered some of the only performances that didn't feel like a huge downgrade compared to the original voice cast. I really didn't like Chiwetel Ejiofor's version of Scar, and I thought Beyonce's performance and her new song were very mediocre.

Probably the worst character downgrade compared to the original though was Rafiki. Can't believe how much personality they sucked away from him, he didn't even feel like the same character anymore.

I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy any of it, I did (mostly the Timon and Pumba scenes) but overall, compared to the original, I'd say it was disappointing and a poor attempt at a remake that could have been better.

Oct 28, 2017
California

THAT SLAP LMAO

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
That slap together with the line in the beginning from Scar that he wouldn't challenge Mufasa again, sort of implied to me that it was Mufasa that gave Scar his scar. I don't know if that is the case though, but Scar goes straight for Mufasa's eye with that slap. Then again, going for the eyes is a pretty common thing cats do when they fight.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Watched it yesterday and I enjoyed it.

My problem with that the realistic approach took away all expression from the characters as they sang.

Other than that, I love that it was a very faithful remake.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's practically not in the movie. The song has been retooled. All the lyrics are different, it's more like a short slam poem with some atmospheric music in the background. Honestly, there's only three seconds of the actual song, as the scene ends on Scar going 'My teeth and ambitions are bared, be prepaaaaared' to what sounds like the actual original music.

It's kinda weird how so much of this movie is exactly the same as the original, but for some reason they decided to completely change Be Prepared.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They took out Nala's DTF moment in the original.

Not to worry, they're repurposing it for Cats instead!

jaGXq7i.png

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The entire sequence was brilliant, the dead pan stares showed that if they want to they could have easily emoted the faces far more than they did in the rest of the movie, a deliberate choice for sure.
Yeah I mentioned this in another thread, but in the Art and the Making of TLK 2019 the designers talk about how in early screenings Timon for example used his front legs as arms and hands mimicking humans and being more expressive, but they were told to tone it down as meerkats don't do that in real life. That scene in particular felt like some of that leftover flavor, and the movie could have been even better if not for the realism limitation imo.
It wasn't padding, at least for me. Said this earlier but it works as a circle of life metaphor, showing Simba's role within the circle and by ending up in Rafiki's hand in such a manner not only does he find out Simba is alive, but he is lost without purpose and in his own way removed from the circle.
Dang, I never considered that scene from this angle. Nicely worded and in hindsight it makes sense that this is what they were going for. Also I don't get the padding complaints when it was only only around 5 minutes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mentioned this in another thread, but in the Art and the Making of TLK 2019 the designers talk about how in early screenings Timon for example used his front legs as arms and hands mimicking humans and being more expressive, but they were told to tone it down as meerkats don't do that in real life. That scene in particular felt like some of that leftover flavor, and the movie could have been even better if not for the realism limitation imo.

Dang, I never considered that scene from this angle. Nicely worded and in hindsight it makes sense that this is what they were going for. Also I don't get the padding complaints when it was only only around 5 minutes.
How is it not padding when the original scene lasted 10 seconds.

Pjmjaux.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it. Neither liked it nor hated it - total forgettable 5/10 for me. I think the worst thing I can say for this film is it's kinda...boring? Long stretches my mind was wandering and it really felt all of its 2 hours.

The Good:
+ The CGI is really impressive, especially Rafiki.
+ Eichner/Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa were fun. I enjoyed some of the added riffing/meta elements to their characters.
+ I enjoyed Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar. Seem to be in the minority here it seems. He's no Irons in the role but I thought he brought the necessary ferocity to the table.
+ The music was mostly good I guess?

The Bad:
- Doing a straight remake was the laziest, safest and least imaginative route they could've gone. Say what you want about Dumbo and Aladdin but at least they were trying new things. As a result this didn't really feel like it was directed by Favreau as much as the VFX team were given the original and just told to re-do it with a few minor revisions.
- The art direction can't hold a candle to the animation. Tried too hard to be Earthy and realistic, losing most of the original's vibrance in the process.
- Most of the cast is wasted. James Earl Jones sounds really tired, Donald Glover feels totally miscast as Simba, a lot of the other actors don't even touch the sides lmao.
- It's too damn long.
- Facial animations were weird. Kept reminding me I was just listening to actors in a recording booth because the lips didn't always match up well.
- Mufasa's death actually made me laugh out loud. Also showing the clip again in fake slow-motion at the end of the film was soooooooooo cheesy.

Overall I just don't really have terribly strong feelings about it either way. They went the most cynical path possible and the result is a weirdly unmemorable experience.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is it not padding when the original scene lasted 10 seconds.

Pjmjaux.gif
See this is the type of complaint I hate when comparing remakes to the original. If the scene were well done in the original but cut down in the remake, people would call it "rushed" in this movie. It's padding if it's longer or rushed if it's shorter because you people can't keep the original out of your heads and constantly comparing the two.
This clearly isn't the same movie as the original (more often than not for the worse) and scenes being longer doesn't automatically mean it's padding.

Rand a. Thor put it perfectly as to why it makes sense in the movie. Honestly of all the changes the remake did, this might be the only one that was justified because it didn't make a ton of sense in the original. And as I said, it was a 5 minute scene in a 2 hour movie. Calm down.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
This version of Can You Feel the Love Tonight is vastly superior to the original version.

Also the distraction joke will age better than the "dress in drag and do the hula"...even though if you knew anything about Nathan Lane it should still hold up

The shots of the end fight/ chase between Simba and Scar are really beautiful

Edit:

Everyone: Its a shot for shot remake! How boring!

also everyone: They changed so much! its inferior!

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This version of Can You Feel the Love Tonight is vastly superior to the original version.

Also the distraction joke will age better than the "dress in drag and do the hula"...even though if you knew anything about Nathan Lane it should still hold up

The shots of the end fight/ chase between Simba and Scar are really beautiful

Edit:

Everyone: Its a shot for shot remake! How boring!

also everyone: They changed so much! its inferior!
Exactly. Even as someone who is mixed on the movie, I can't help but smh at some of the criticisms. People ask what's the point of remakes, then they try to change things up and people berate it not for being bad, but for diverging from what the original established. You can't have it both ways.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
See this is the type of complaint I hate when comparing remakes to the original. If the scene were well done in the original but cut down in the remake, people would call it "rushed" in this movie. It's padding if it's longer or rushed if it's shorter because you people can't keep the original out of your heads and constantly comparing the two.
Why shouldn't people keep The Lion King in their heads when this movie is reminding you of it all the time? How couldn't they? It does not want to be its own thing. What it wants to do is mine your own sense of nostalgia. The only reason people are coming to watch the remake is because of the 1994 Lion King.

This clearly isn't the same movie as the original (more often than not for the worse) and scenes being longer doesn't automatically mean it's padding.

It basically is though. But worse in basically every way, like you mentioned.

Rand a. Thor put it perfectly as to why it makes sense in the movie. Honestly of all the changes the remake did, this might be the only one that was justified because it didn't make a ton of sense in the original.

I don't see how it makes more or any less sense. In the end, it's still a tuft of Simba's hair that magically made its way to Rafiki. Now we get to see a longer trip. Instead of being pushed by the wind, it's being pushed by inner cavities of an animal.

And as I said, it was a 5 minute scene in a 2 hour movie. Calm down.
Sure, I need to calm after that 12-word post.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. Glover is undersinging it and Beyoncé is oversinging it. Her vocal stylings at the end are completely drowning out Glover. It's painfully obvious that the two weren't even in the same room together when recording, because they're not tuned to each other at all.

While it's true that in the original Nala is also overpowering the end (or even the only one singing of the two?), there's also a choir going on in the background which makes it stand out less. In the new version, it's only Beyoncé and Glover singing, making it awkward to listen to IMO.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Glover is undersinging it and Beyoncé is oversinging it. Her vocal stylings at the end are completely drowning out Glover. It's painfully obvious that the two weren't even in the same room together when recording, because they're not tuned to each other at all.

Oh its fine to disagree on art cause that's always subjective. I loved the take on it and my musical theater wife literally had her jaw drop and once we got into the car she had it put on from the soundtrack.

Its encouraging that this remake is different enough for people to say it's a different experience from the cartoon classic. If you hate it, at least it means you're not watching the exact same thing you saw as a kid.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone actually get triggered about being "spoiled" on this movie or is this thread a subtle troll?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why shouldn't people keep The Lion King in their heads when this movie is reminding you of it all the time? How couldn't they? It does not want to be its own thing. What it wants to do is mine your own sense of nostalgia. The only reason people are coming to watch the remake is because of the 1994 Lion King.

It basically is though. But worse in basically every way, like you mentioned.

I don't see how it makes more or any less sense. In the end, it's still a tuft of Simba's hair that magically made its way to Rafiki. Now we get to see a longer trip. Instead of being pushed by the wind, it's being pushed by inner cavities of an animal.

Sure, I need to calm after that 12-word post.
The circle of life is emblematic of the central motif of the film. It's not just a longer trip, it exemplifies a core piece of the narrative. Comparisons are going to happen since this movie is inherently made with the same framework. The issue is when people berate it merely for not being the exact same rather than being legitimately problematic.

Word count has nothing to do with insistence on the same point, or being upset over such inconsequential changes. Especially you of all people who was trashing this before it released.