• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we went by internet movie nerds reactions:

- Aladdin would have bombed (it didn't)
- Toy Story 4 would have been crushed Detective Pikachu (....nope)
- Captain Marvel would have bombed (Spidey FFH is very unlikely to outgross it)

I can keep going. Just remember the opinion of movie nerds online mean jackshit for the GA.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Something making gobs of money has little bearing on the actual quality of a film. The movie could be god awful and still likely clear a billion.

I need to look into this, but in general I would say there's probably a slight negative correlation between rotten tomatoes and box office

Just because a movie makes a lot of money does not make it good

Plum

May 31, 2018
The internet's obsession with trying to "prove" opinions are somehow factually right is paradoxical.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
If we went by internet movie nerds reactions:

- Aladdin would have bombed (it didn't)
- Toy Story 4 would have been crushed Detective Pikachu (....nope)
- Captain Marvel would have bombed (Spidey FFH is very unlikely to outgross it)

I can keep going. Just remember the opinion of movie nerds online mean jackshit for the GA.
I also think it's fair to point out that we've been wrong about the quality of these movies too, especially where Aladdin and Toy Story 4 are concerned. I'm calling myself out too.

I was convinced that Aladdin would be another King Arthur grade Guy Ritchie movie. I was wrong.

I tend to be open minded about movies that the internet pre-trashes but I am guilty of joining the masses in rejecting the concept of a Toy Story 4 and being certain that the quality of storytelling would be at Cars level or worse. I was wrong.

Maybe the Lion King will disappoint and be that 60-70% mediocre movie that doesn't warrant its own existence but I'm trying to keep an open mind this time.

We're very desperate to hate this. Sometimes the clips don't sound great or look exciting (Beyonce's lines sounding flat in the Thailand trailer, lions not looking expressive, JEJ sounding worn out) but people are trashing absolutely everything they can- even saw someone rolling their eyes at the suggestion that the animals look realstic.

There's a clip of Timon and Pumba rescuing Simba that just hit.

- the lines are new (people complained about this)
- the line delivery is excellent
- it's funny
- Timon and Pumba are expressive and animated

And people responded to that clip with the same "wow traaaaash". So yeah I'm gonna wait and hope for the best.

All of you that want to watch the cartoon again- go do that. This doesn't replace it's legacy on any level.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not sure what universal derision you're referring to, so far most of the comments on the clips and trailers I've seen have been the usual "WOW OMG MY CHILDHOOD" "CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS" "HAHAHA I LIKED IT WHEN THEY SAID THE FUNNY THING" "*INSERT ACTOR NAME HERE* WAS BORN FOR THIS ROLE" hysterically excited bollocks you see on most Disney remake promos.

I think the film looks completely fucking horrific and disgusting and I hate it, as an animator it angers me that it exists at all, and I will forever be frustrated by the fact that people continue to lap this remake bullshit up. But I fully accept that my feelings don't reflect the majority sentiment at all. It would be wishful thinking to hope it will be anything other than a gigantic financial success.