• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How so? It certainly doesn't show.

Bigger name doesn't mean better talent.
It's hard to gauge if it shows or not from a few couple minute trailers versus actually seeing the movie.

Sigh yes....i miss the smart cocky calculated scar where he dug his nails in and slowly said long live the kind instead of being just an angry pissant
Tbf even in the original canon Scar does some dumb shit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thought you were posting bootlegs, carry on

Okay then.

I guess you noticed the big ABC logo in one of those clips huh. :P

slayven's been farting in your toaster every day for the past month
giphy.gif

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
People who act like bad RT scores don't matter are wrong. I think this could hurt them $100M worth. Sure they are still going to get to $900M or even $1B, but the bottom line is this will hurt them close to 10% box office potential IMO. Disney is not happy right now.

I get a strong feeling they weren't going for quality here. Especially when you look at the other remakes. I don't think that's the goal. I think they just need it to be decent.

Also, I think this movie will easily hit $1B. Disney knows this and that's why this movie exists today.

What this film is doing is making me appreciate how great the original film is.

One positive for this movie is the soundtrack - Hans zimmer did an amazing job again.

Pretty much, a lot of people dismissed Spiderverse because it was animation :/

Yeah that is sad.

Some of these reviews note that children don't seem to like this lion king remake as much and that they appear bored. I think it being super realistic has something to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Man those jungle book clips are making me respect that movie a lot more. I didnt really care about it when I saw it with my so it was just to placate him.

The jungle book animals do emote more than they realistically would but its not that bad. The two clips of Khan on here he emotes some but his stalking and body movement tell more than the slight facial emotes also you got Idris giving an amazing performance. I wish he would of been Scar at this point.
Elba woulda been a dope Scar, especially since he can ham it up just right when need be and sell it, while still nailing the more subtle sinister notes.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night.

To recycle a criticism I used for A View To A Kill, it has all the ingredients of a fantastic film (lauded director, famous actors, Disney studio/budget) on paper. But the execution is appallingly bad.

Overall I went from "OK, this isn't so bad" to "hmm, poor remake but OK film" to "actually this film is just poor" to "please make it stop now". It was a rollercoaster of non-emotion.

Edit: Disclaimer - the 1994 film is my favourite film, so I am very attached to it. Expect some bias.

Visuals

The visuals were bloody amazing, especially the environments. I had to keep pinching myself to remind me that it wasn't real. This film absolutely deserves the Oscar for visual effects, I don't know how it can be one-upped this year.

If anything, though, it was too realistic. The colours are accurate for an African savanna landscape from what I've seen, but they could have sexed it up even a little bit. Pumbaa looked like body horror and Timon was a little creepy.

Acting

Awful. I don't know if this was because of the actors or voice direction or both (I've seen all of these ruin video games), but the delivery was wooden all the way through.

James Earl Jones sounded like he was reading from a script for the first time. I would have been happier if they'd just recycled his audio from the first film.

Simba and Nala's argument was like two people reading off a script and trying to channel generic anger. There was no sense that the characters cared about what they were saying. Also, Nala somehow developed a southern accent when she grew up.

John Oliver and Billy Eichner were fine as Zazu and Timon, but I can't be fair here because Rowan Atkinson and Nathan Lane are two actors who are really impossible to live up to in their roles.

Notable exception: Scar. Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing a very different, much darker, character than Jeremy Irons was, and it showed. He was the only one not playing a character along notes already established 25 years ago.

Songs

Circle of Life
was...fine. Not as good as the original, but it was fine.

I Just Can't Wait To Be King was actually enjoyable. The bombastic Busby Berkeley number was replaced by a bunch of animal dodging, but I didn't mind. It worked well when divorced from the original.

Be Prepared came out of nowhere and felt very out of character for Scar. It was weird that he was talking in rhythm with little to no backing track, it made him look a bit unhinged.

Hakuna Matata, meh. Song itself was fine, but all of the iconic scenery from the original was gone. They were just walking through the forest.

Shadowland was my favourite so-- oh wait, it wasn't there. They specifically added the scene it's from and then didn't include the song.

Can You Feel The Love Tonight This Afternoon...
a) the prior scene, the song and the following scene were all during the day, wtf
b) someone needed to tell Beyoncé the meaning of the line "the peace the evening brings", because there was no peace in her singing
c) the visuals were BORING AS SHIT

Spirit was incredibly out of place. Should have been a credits song instead of that new Elton John song. I guess Beyoncé really wants that Oscar.

Writing

Some new lines were good, most of it sucked. In general, if it was added for comic relief then it was fine, otherwise it sucked.

There were new characters and new scenes, which I would argue were all unnecessary additions. They also seemed to shorten the back half of the film, because the film felt very rushed from the Simba/Nala reunion on. The characters were practically racing each other to get their lines out.

The Mufasa-in-the-sky scene was especially poor. The part where Mufasa shamed his son for turning his back on his legacy was removed.
Mufasa: SIMBA
Simba: f-father?
Mufasa: SIMBA GO BACK TO PRIDE ROCK AND BE KING
Simba: but i've changed
Mufasa: DON'T CARE GO NOW, CIRCLE OF LIFE
Simba: ok
Mufasa: KTHXBYE
Simba: noooo don't leave me
Mufasa: I NEVER LEFT YOU
Mufasa: *leaves*
Rafiki: So who are you?
Simba: I AM SIMBA, SON OF MUFASA AND KING OF PRIDE ROCK *puts on sunglasses*

Incidentally, the part where Simba shouted at the sky earlier ("You said you'd always be there for me! But you're not.") was also removed.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night.

To recycle a criticism I used for A View To A Kill, it has all the ingredients of a fantastic film (lauded director, famous actors, Disney studio/budget) on paper. But the execution is appallingly bad.

Overall I went from "OK, this isn't so bad" to "hmm, poor remake but OK film" to "actually this film is just poor" to "please make it stop now". It was a rollercoaster of non-emotion.

Visuals

The visuals were bloody amazing, especially the environments. I had to keep pinching myself to remind me that it wasn't real. This film absolutely deserves the Oscar for visual effects, I don't know how it can be one-upped this year.

If anything, though, it was too realistic. The colours are accurate for an African savanna landscape from what I've seen, but they could have sexed it up even a little bit. Pumbaa looked like body horror and Timon was a little creepy.

Acting

Awful. I don't know if this was because of the actors or voice direction or both (I've seen all of these ruin video games), but the delivery was wooden all the way through.

James Earl Jones sounded like he was reading from a script for the first time. I would have been happier if they'd just recycled his audio from the first film.

Simba and Nala's argument was like two people reading off a script and trying to channel generic anger. There was no sense that the characters cared about what they were saying. Also, Nala somehow developed a southern accent when she grew up.

John Oliver and Billy Eichner were fine as Zazu and Timon, but I can't be fair here because Rowan Atkinson and Nathan Lane are two actors who are really impossible to live up to in their roles.

Notable exception: Scar. Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing a very different, much darker, character than Jeremy Irons was, and it showed. He was the only one not playing a character along notes already established 25 years ago.

Songs

Circle of Life
was...fine. Not as good as the original, but it was fine.

I Just Can't Wait To Be King was actually enjoyable. The bombastic Busby Berkeley number was replaced by a bunch of animal dodging, but I didn't mind. It worked well when divorced from the original.

Be Prepared came out of nowhere and felt very out of character for Scar. It was weird that he was talking in rhythm with little to no backing track, it made him look a bit unhinged.

Hakuna Matata, meh. Song itself was fine, but all of the iconic scenery from the original was gone. They were just walking through the forest.

Shadowland was my favourite so-- oh wait, it wasn't there. They specifically added the scene it's from and then didn't include the song.

Can You Feel The Love Tonight This Afternoon...
a) the prior scene, the song and the following scene were all during the day, wtf
b) someone needed to tell Beyoncé the meaning of the line "the peace the evening brings", because there was no peace in her singing
c) the visuals were BORING AS SHIT

Spirit was incredibly out of place. Should have been a credits song instead of that new Elton John song. I guess Beyoncé really wants that Oscar.

Writing

Some new lines were good, most of it sucked. In general, if it was added for comic relief then it was fine, otherwise it sucked.

There were new characters and new scenes, which I would argue were all unnecessary additions. They also seemed to shorten the back half of the film, because the film felt very rushed from the Simba/Nala reunion on. The characters were practically racing each other to get their lines out.

The Mufasa-in-the-sky scene was especially poor. The part where Mufasa shamed his son for turning his back on his legacy was removed.

Incidentally, the part where Simba shouted at the sky earlier ("You said you'd always be there for me! But you're not.") was also removed.
Thanks for the detailed impressions!

Sounds awful.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He, it's fun to look at this thread and the reviews and then looking at Social Media like Facebook, reading through the comments and thinking "God damn it, all hope is lost". People love the movie and I don't know how many people said "I like it more than the cartoon!! Cool graphics".

All hope is lost.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Scar/Mufassa scene linked above reminds me of that awful shot-for-shot remake of Psycho with Vince Vaughn. I legit laughed when I saw them straight up recreating shots from the original but with bleeding edge CG, it's like the definition of soulless filmmaking.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How very weird that Aslan in Disney's own Narnia movies was so much more expressive against a cast of living people...
tenor.gif

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
He, it's fun to look at this thread and the reviews and then looking at Social Media like Facebook, reading through the comments and thinking "God damn it, all hope is lost". People love the movie and I don't know how many people said "I like it more than the cartoon!! Cool graphics".

All hope is lost.

Have you seen it?

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
So disappointed. I wish Disney would remaster all these animated classics and release them in the theater so I could take my daughter.

Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't imagine it would look as bad as it does after the trailers, there are so many cat videos out there showing you how to trick people into thinking they are portraying human emotions...how do you end up with something this stale?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
No and I think I won't. The Hakuna Matata scene already lost me. There ain't no charm anymore in it. The CGI is perfect though I can give them that.

urgh and there is also this:

Then who are you to judge others opinions so harshly? I'd say people enjoying a movie they like is far less problematic than insulting others opinions because reviewers didn't like the movie. You literally haven't seen the damn movie and you're mocking people for liking it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then who are you to judge others opinions so harshly? I'd say people enjoying a movie they like is far less problematic than insulting others opinions because reviewers didn't like the movie. You literally haven't seen the damn movie and you're mocking people for liking it.

Please get off me. I will still judge people that praise this movie when it seems like it lost everything it had. I don't need to waste my money now because there are more than enough reviews that have the same opinion and I've also seen most of the leaked clips on Youtube by now and MY opinion still stands. People loving that heartless remake will only push Disney further in their doings and we will get more cold moneymakers like this and I don't like that.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know that I am probably in the minority here, but I liked it. I appreciated the realistic take of the movie. I found it to be more than a copy/paste of the original. It tried to bring something unique to a story we all know and love and it made the soundtrack shine even more (the feels are still here). And I really liked the small differences with the original.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No and I think I won't. The Hakuna Matata scene already lost me. There ain't no charm anymore in it. The CGI is perfect though I can give them that.
I gave it a scathing review, but the visuals are gorgeous - it's totally worth watching in the cinema for that. It won't be the same on a smaller screen.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Man those jungle book clips are making me respect that movie a lot more. I didnt really care about it when I saw it with my so it was just to placate him.

The jungle book animals do emote more than they realistically would but its not that bad. The two clips of Khan on here he emotes some but his stalking and body movement tell more than the slight facial emotes also you got Idris giving an amazing performance. I wish he would of been Scar at this point.

Idris did an amazing job with Khan, but that kind of performance wouldn't work for Scar. Khan is a walking tank; you get the feeling that he could solo the entire cast of the film. He only meets his end through a trick, even. Scar is different. He's not physically imposing at all, and requires an army to back up his claim. Scar is more of a highly educated, two faced "court intrigue" style backstabber, and Jeremy Irons encapsulated that perfectly with his performance. Maybe Idris could also give that kind of performance but I feel that his voice is just too naturally powerful, for lack of a better word.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Lion King is about to fall below Aladdin on rottentomatoes. Holy shit! I never saw this coming.

Who can we blame for this disaster of a film? I'm hesitant to put blame on Jon Favreau because he is a good director and The Jungle Book was great.

I'm so disappointed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Lion King is about to fall below Aladdin on rottentomatoes. Holy shit! I never saw this coming.

Who can we blame for this disaster of a film? I'm hesitant to put blame on Jon Favreau because he is a good director and The Jungle Book was great.

I'm so disappointed.
It's Jon Favreau. He claims he was inspired by an African safari he went to, six months before talking to Disney about doing TLK.

Straight out of the movie's press kit.

p8ylUII.png

He also went into it with a worrying mentality about it to be honest

IjI4hbM.png

If you're afraid of tackling this property, then maybe shouldn't tackle this property. And even less if your only objective here is slather some visual effects on top of it.

I kinda feel sorry for Favreau, but also not really.

But it's all the big honchos at Disney for allowing him to do this, unchecked and unfettered. Honestly it's absolutely fucking strange that this company would just hand off a remake of their veritable crown jewel to an external VFX company like MPC.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Oof. It wasn't good. People are not lying when they say there's no emotion behind, well, anything. The voice actors are terribad as is the dialogue.
There are exceptions to this of course: Scar, Timon/pumba, Zazu were all fine. The remember me scene just lol. I would've been shocked about other parts had I already not seen them ahead of time as well. Do not watch this unless you plan on watching the OG later on to cleanse your mind afterward or you just want a laugh.

Edit: Should mention, what everyone says about the photorealism is true: it looks great. That said, I still don't think its worth it for that (you can see most of it on youtube anyway). The songs themselves are good because the og songs are good. Listen to them, but still, don't watch.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
But it's all the big honchos at Disney for allowing him to do this, unchecked and unfettered. Honestly it's absolutely fucking strange that this company would just hand off a remake of their veritable crown jewel to an external VFX company like MPC.

Do we actually know that Favreau was "unchecked and unfettered?" I'm legitimately asking, as I don't know. Given how the Disney corporation operates, I would say that it is just as likely that he was specifically instructed to, for example, make this as much of a shot-for-shot remake as possible, and also to make it as ultra-realistic as possible.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm just wondering if we actually know these kinds of details.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do we actually know that Favreau was "unchecked and unfettered?" I'm legitimately asking, as I don't know. Given how the Disney corporation operates, I would say that it is just as likely that he was specifically instructed to, for example, make this as much of a shot-for-shot remake as possible, and also to make it as ultra-realistic as possible.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm just wondering if we actually know these kinds of details.
There is no way Favreau wasn't on a tight leash. That's not how Disney operates.

Hell, the original movie was one of the most "liberated" movies of its time that my animation instructor ever worked on because, at that time, nobody thought it was going to be a huge hit. It was made with the B-crew, the "rejects", and the head of the animation department was making fun of it and saying he'd be happy if it "only made 65 million" or something. He said that being overlooked was freeing, because the "A-list" projects were micro-managed and messed with constantly, which is one reason why Pocahontas turned out so poorly (they were working on it at the same time as The Lion King).

Once Lion King became huge, it got Disney's full attention. Every animated film he worked on between The Fox and the Hound and Tarzan was meticulously overseen by Disney head hanchos and producers, with Lion King being one of the few exceptions ONLY because it was the "silly talking animal movie" they were doing as a back-up to their Oscar-baiting Pocahontas film.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just watched the new movie. It is pretty good overall, im satisfied but there is always room to improve

Im also very impressed with simba and nala's performance. But is it true that simba's talking voice is performed by donald glover, while the singing voice is performed by childish gambino?

Also i really love nala's singing voice. The actress should become a singer, she has that power vocal that is very unique. If she were a singer, she could be famous

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way Favreau wasn't on a tight leash. That's not how Disney operates.

Hell, the original movie was one of the most "liberated" movies of its time that my animation instructor ever worked on because, at that time, nobody thought it was going to be a huge hit. It was made with the B-crew, the "rejects", and the head of the animation department was making fun of it and saying he'd be happy if it "only made 65 million" or something. He said that being overlooked was freeing, because the "A-list" projects were micro-managed and messed with constantly, which is one reason why Pocahontas turned out so poorly (they were working on it at the same time as The Lion King).

Once Lion King became huge, it got Disney's full attention. Every animated film he worked on between The Fox and the Hound and Tarzan was meticulously overseen by Disney head hanchos and producers, with Lion King being one of the few exceptions ONLY because it was the "silly talking animal movie" they were doing as a back-up to their Oscar-baiting Pocahontas film.

I can confirm this. My great-aunt was an animator at Disney going back to Sleeping Beauty and she would tell us at the time that Lion King was a neglected stepchild, while everyone was internally pushing Pocahontas as the prestige, Oscar-bait project. What you said mirrors what she said 100%. Everyone at Disney was blown away when Lion King ended up as basically their all-time "prestige" film, and Pocahontas was essentially forgotten in comparison.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I assume because why would anyone with any direct knowledge of or actually familiar with The Lion King would let this shit go to these extremes.

Jan 10, 2018
Just watched the new movie. It is pretty good overall, im satisfied but there is always room to improve

Im also very impressed with simba and nala's performance. But is it true that simba's talking voice is performed by donald glover, while the singing voice is performed by childish gambino?

Also i really love nala's singing voice. The actress should become a singer, she has that power vocal that is very unique. If she were a singer, she could be famous

Beyonce? Yea she has potential, but maybe she should try it with a group first to find out if that is her true destiny.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
because the "A-list" projects were micro-managed and messed with constantly, which is one reason why Pocahontas turned out so poorly (they were working on it at the same time as The Lion King).

The later Eisner years were quite the time for their projects. I don't know how the man found the time to micromanage even half of what he did.
And I'll never get tired of this tweet: