• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
They made Be Prepared shorter for some reason, and that's a shame as it's not as good as the original version which is honestly one of my fave songs in the entire movie.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
He Lives in You still the best song in the franchise

It's definitely an under-rated song. I first heard it in The Lion King 2, which is cheap and lousy, and didn't realize it had been written for the movie. I remember thinking "this is a great song they licensed for this bad movie." When I saw it in the stage show years later I was like "wait a minute."

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely an under-rated song. I first heard it in The Lion King 2, which is cheap and lousy, and didn't realize it had been written for the movie. I remember thinking "this is a great song they licensed for this bad movie." When I saw it in the stage show years later I was like "wait a minute."
it was included in lion king ii, but it was recorded in 1995 for a 'sequel soundtrack' to the 1994 soundtrack. then it appeared in the broadway musical in july 1997 and the film version appeared in october 1998.

it's so good. i'd love to see it reworked into the first film in some way. maybe for the remake they could have cut out be prepared and i can't wait to be king, and included this as a closer to the film after the pride rock sequence. it could have fit in after can you feel the love tonight too, instead of the orchestral sequence, but it might have been a little too much music all at once.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how they re-used the exact same African chants and choirs from the original Circle of Life's intro in the new one. They didn't bother recording anything new. They realized you can't mess with perfection.

too bad this revelation didn't carry to the rest of the movie. ;)

A minor detail I don't like (other than the new lead singer) is that the piano chords that show up near the end all but disappear in this new version.

ANOTHER OSCAR!

For the injustice of getting fuck all for Gladiator/Last Samurai/Interstellar.
I think you're joking :P, I'm not sure a nomination is possible in this case. I think there are rules against nominating a score that is largely based on a previous recording.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hakuna Matata isn't the same, but that's ok.
Be Prepared is a different flavor, but still great in its own way and far more darker/sinister than the original.

edit: He Lives In You is better than the version in LK2.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Still prefer my Broadway versions but some good stuff here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Be Prepared is such bullshit. Just when it seems like the song is about to get going it ends. Otherwise the soundtrack is fine. The cast is really great, I had no idea Billy Eichner was Timon. Still don't really have any interest in seeing the movie.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Be Prepared is such bullshit. Just when it seems like the song is about to get going it ends. Otherwise the soundtrack is fine. The cast is really great, I had no idea Billy Eichner was Timon. Still don't really have any interest in seeing the movie.
Be Prepared 2019 would be great if it built up to something. But it builds up to nothing.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy the soundtrack! And I don't mind Be Prepared, it's pretty sinister. It just isn't the original, which is so good.

I have to say, I think this is my favourite version of He Lives in You that I've heard. It's so joyful and beautiful, and I love that they kept it in an African language (I don't know which... Swahili? Afrikaans?). But I love it.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Damn be prepared is in?

Im going to go and watch the movie then.
I wonder if they are going to try to do the lighting and nazi imagery from the original.

Edit just heard the spanish version of be prepared abd actually sound more like a dictator on a rally than a song now.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Zimmer's more modern and complex orchestrations in the score are a definite plus. The recording itself just sounds so much nicer and of higher quality.

Kidding (tho he did deserve it for those other scores I mentioned).
Gladiator was so popular at the time it's bizarre he didn't get it. He for sure deserved it for Interstellar, no doubt. TLS is also one of my faves for that matter!

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Zimmer's more modern and complex orchestrations in the score are a definite plus. The recording itself just sounds so much nicer and of higher quality.

Gladiator was so popular at the time it's bizarre he didn't get it. He for sure deserved it for Interstellar, no doubt. TLS is also one of my faves for that matter!

TLS is criminally underrated, never see it being mentioned when talking about his scores. So damn good.

Coincidentally also the scores where he worked on them all by himself (mostly). Gladiator and TLS have some co-credits on like 2-3 tracks but is all him really. All I want from Zimmer is now to be inspired and get his head outta his ass. He works much better solo and when inspired (thus my disappointment he picks stuff like Dark Phoenix).

Hopefully Denis will inspire some great stuff with Dune. And maybe Patty with WW84.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
given the compete lack of movement in the face for these lions, i can imagine this new Be Prepared will have a lot of dissonance as Ejiofor belts his lungs out

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Can You Feel The Love Tonight on headphones is a bizarre experience. You get Beyonce blasting her voice at full volume on the right channel, and you can barely hear poor lil' Donald Glover on the left side lol.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really loving this soundtrack. Once again, Hans Zimmer shows why he's the master.

Stampede sends chills down my spine, and all the classic songs sound great. And I love the way they did He Lives In You.

I wish Shadowland made it though. Love that song and it would've been a perfect addition.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Can You Feel The Love Tonight on headphones is a bizarre experience. You get Beyonce blasting her voice at full volume on the right channel, and you can barely hear poor lil' Donald Glover on the left side lol.

Yeah I feel like she should have reined it in a little bit. Don't have to sing like that all the time.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So why is Beyonce's song not available to stream on Apple Music? More Tidal BS?

edit: It's available under her album actually. So weird.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Okay, I refuse to read any reviews for the movie after listening to the soundtrack. If I am gonna have to sit through 2 hours of a God Tier Zimmer Soundtrack ruined by an average remake of this GOAT Disney Film then by god I am going to do it without any warning, cause I still have high hopes the movie is on the same level as this soundtrack. Its more of a remaster with some really good additions, and that's all that was needed.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm likely going to be in the extreme minority, but Be Prepared has grown on me exponentially -- to the point that it's my favorite of the newly arranged songs.

And that's largely because it isn't just a carbon-copy of the original. Yes, the truncation of the track is unfortunate, but Ejiofor makes the entirety of the two minute run-time count. His commingling of musical-style song and spoken word is impactful, and I love how slow and menacingly palpable the backing instrumentation's build-up is. It all culminates into that pitch perfect chorus-infused finale.

So I'm sold on the song musically, but we'll see how it works contextually in the film. If there's truth to the idea that the hyenas are a sharper bunch and more conniving accomplices to Scar this time around, I can understand the re-jiggering/cutting down of some of the original's lyric.

Last edited: