• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Ok but there's no evidence anyone is watching these besides Libs on Twitter who get riled up at the ownage.

The Club for Growth (amoral libertarian GOP assholes) are spending money to counter them. So somebody is seeing them.

Ask yourself, if these ads don't matter, why are you so riled up at "Libs on twitter" over them?

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting Trump out is life or fucking death. No, it's not the same as some fucking video game.

Do you think the only thing standing between Trump and reelection is the fucking Lincoln Project? Kpop stans have probably done more to damage his reelection chances than these ads have. We don't need these people.

abutteredpig

Oct 30, 2017
OK I'll just state my actual thesis instead of arguing about semantics

(1) I'm dubious these over-the-top ads are effective besides making Trump personally mad. But even if they were, I don't care. The Lincoln Project staff--the architects of the Iraq War, Republican ideologues--are going to fuse with the democratic party, not try to take over the GOP. The Dems in 2021 are going to be the GOP in 2000 if they didn't have to pander to evangelicals. These people should be told to fuck off forever, banished, instead of getting glowing write ups in NPR

(also) It's LOLZ how working with the worst Americans in the last 50 years = cool compromise because they help beat Trump, but Bernie going on Joe Rogan = a deep betrayal of our values and worthy of condemnation

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017

(1) I'm dubious these over-the-top ads are effective besides making Trump personally mad. But even if they were, I don't care. The Lincoln Project staff--the architects of the Iraq War, Republican ideologues--are going to fuse with the democratic party, not try to take over the GOP. The Dems in 2021 are going to be the GOP in 2000 if they didn't have to pander to evangelicals. These people should be told to fuck off forever, banished, instead of getting glowing write ups in NPR

(also) It's LOLZ how working with the worst Americans in the last 50 years = cool compromise because they help beat Trump, but Bernie going on Joe Rogan = a deep betrayal of our values and worthy of condemnation

lol it was about Bernie the whole time

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
Hahahahaha now I can't unhear it

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
Do you think the only thing standing between Trump and reelection is the fucking Lincoln Project? Kpop stans have probably done more to damage his reelection chances than these ads have. We don't need these people.
I'm not giving them fucking money. I don't even see the ads on TV because they're typically targeted towards Trump or in specific regions with Senators that are up for reelection.

I'm going to be very clear. The people that run TLP are scum, as most right wing fuckers are, but if they want to shit all over their own party with the most low brow of attack ads they can spew out then more power to them.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

(1) I get the concern but I don't see how it's warranted. The Democratic platform is moving left, not right. Let em hop on that if they can, but they won't be steering. (bookmark me for crow-feeding if I am wrong)

(also) Who is "working with" them? They're doing this themselves. The Rogan comparison completely misses Bernie's agency in that matter vs the lack of any agency on the part of Democrats on this one. This just seems like playing "gotcha" and missing.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
You see this as horrible, but if the end game of this is that a new moderate right wing party emerges from the ashes of the GOP, that would not be the worst outcome. Because it wouldn't be 100% of the Democratic Party, hell, it would probably be mostly the so-called "independents."

If that were to happen, there would be some air for a real left wing party to emerge. Wouldn't we be better off if our political spectrum went from Rose Twitter / Bernie to the slightly more right Corporate Dems?

Also; compare TLP ad to an ad designed to actually try to convince republicans to turn on Trump:

TLP is a troll organization for political junkies, and Trump is the biggest political junkie there is.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

and there it is.

abutteredpig

Oct 30, 2017
(1) I get the concern but I don't see how it's warranted. The Democratic platform is moving left, not right. Let em hop on that if they can, but they won't be steering. (bookmark me for crow-feeding if I am wrong)

(also) Who is "working with" them? They're doing this themselves. The Rogan comparison completely misses Bernie's agency in that matter vs the lack of any agency on the part of Democrats on this one. This just seems like playing "gotcha" and missing.

I dont' really care about the Rogan thing, it's just funny how "It's ok to use people if it helps beat Trump and get elected" goes different ways

1. Look at the people Biden has tapped for his inner circle. Larry Summers. People like this (https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-proxy-war-over-joe-biden-adviser-avril-haines)

Is that going to result in the progressive administration we are all dreaming of? No it looks like a place where Bill Kristol will be welcome

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I dont' really care about the Rogan thing, it's just funny how "It's ok to use people if it helps beat Trump and get elected" goes different ways

1. Look at the people Biden has tapped for his inner circle. Larry Summers. People like this (https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-proxy-war-over-joe-biden-adviser-avril-haines)

Is that going to result in the progressive administration we are all dreaming of? No it looks like a place where Bill Kristol will be welcome

Again, it is very clear that criticism of the Lincoln Project is just a jumping off point for some posters.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
User Banned (2 Months): Minimizing war crimes as "different politics"
Ah yes, its just a simple disagreement over political beliefs. Certainly couldn't have anything to do with the bigotry they have been and want to continue spreading

I agree with you that they are former republicans. But, keep in mind that the republican party that they come from is not the party under Trump. It just isn't. They are from the party of John McCain. I don't know if you remember, but John McCain (who's campaign was run by Steve Schmidt) was the guy who was courted by John Kerry to be his running mate back in 2004. That being said, I hated GW Bush when he was president. I believe that his policies were terrible for the country, including his tax policy and getting us in the war with Iraq. BUT, that is an argument about policies, agree or disagree with what he did. What Trump has done to this country is to rip it apart from the inside and to completely destroy all norms. It has never been like this at any time in recent history. Politics used to be politics. Lover or hate Bush or Obama or Clinton or Reagan. Keep in mind that most politicians (of both parties) and most Americans are centrists/moderates that lean either left or right on various issues. Trump and the current republican party has created a cesspool. And if these former republicans are on the right side of history right now, then why would you not welcome that? The country needs to move back to the center again -- leaning left or right on the various issues.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
This is where I'm at with them, and 12:01 November 4th, if they're done helping us flip important Senate seats, I'm done with 'em.

I agree... but, I really believe that they have changed in their thinking after seeing the damage that their party has wrought. The country cannot survive the way it is going.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017

I'm all about what the Lincoln Project is doing with these ads. They are clearly Republicans that don't like Trump and want him gone. That has been crystal clear from the very beginning. Most people see what they are doing as something the Democrats should emulate in their attack ads.

However, there are people who keep complaining about what the Lincoln Project is doing. You are one of those people. It seems that in the end it all goes back to Bernie. I gave money to Bernie. I didn't give money to Biden.

It's time to move on. People like me (Mexican American) don't have the luxury of more Trump after all that he's done so far.

In light of "When the looting starts, The shooting starts" and the 100,000 US Covid Deaths, what's the thinking on Biden is just as bad as Trump?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

So like the other guy said, it's a Bernie/Biden thing for you. And here I was told that was just a conspiracy theory I had.

That link doesn't read like you think it does.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people who excitedly watch and post these videos cause they get to see ""PRESIDENT CHEETO GET OWNED" are no different from the people who will post excitedly about that new Harry Potter game despite knowing about Rowling's trans phobia.

Enough with these bullshit generalizations. How about actually contributing to this thread instead of speaking on behalf of others and making up fake scenarios?

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will just make people feel bad for him, that he's being "betrayed" and shit. Makes it come off as a bit conspiracy. This moron is ripe for dumb shit he says without any editing. Just hone in and exploit it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that they are former republicans. But, keep in mind that the republican party that they come from is not the party under Trump. It just isn't. They are from the party of John McCain. I don't know if you remember, but John McCain (who's campaign was run by Steve Schmidt) was the guy who was courted by John Kerry to be his running mate back in 2004. That being said, I hated GW Bush when he was president. I believe that his policies were terrible for the country, including his tax policy and getting us in the war with Iraq. BUT, that is an argument about policies, agree or disagree with what he did. What Trump has done to this country is to rip it apart from the inside and to completely destroy all norms. It has never been like this at any time in recent history. Politics used to be politics. Lover or hate Bush or Obama or Clinton or Reagan. Keep in mind that most politicians (of both parties) and most Americans are centrists/moderates that lean either left or right on various issues. Trump and the current republican party has created a cesspool. And if these former republicans are on the right side of history right now, then why would you not welcome that? The country needs to move back to the center again -- leaning left or right on the various issues.

Republicans have tried to commit genocide on LGBT communites in the past, it goes beyond simple "policy".

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I agree... but, I really believe that they have changed in their thinking after seeing the damage that their party has wrought. The country cannot survive the way it is going.

Fair enough. I just am not ready to give their cast of characters the benefit of the doubt outside of this very specific window given their actions, and don't think others should either (but can't control that, can I T_T).

They've got lots and lots and lots to atone for. Hard time for a couple decades of making sure the best of Dems win. Starts with undoing the work they did in legitimizing or upholding some of these ugly viewpoints in Americans. Sure, there are policy disagreements but there's also general humanity disagreements I'm not ready to overlook to make this into a happy alliance beyond "getting trump out/flipping the 2020 senate". That's the mission and that's all I want from them for now.

Whether they serve an actual good purpose beyond that will remain to be seen and as such so will my feelings toward them, haha.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So like the other guy said, it's a Bernie/Biden thing for you. And here I was told that was just a conspiracy theory I had.

Its totally not related to Bernie/Biden, it just seems to always somehow circle back around to them by chance.

"The opposition is tearing out its own throat, we have to stop them or they'll tear out our throat next."

It's hard not to see it this way. Like we get uncomfortable when winning by such a large margin that we start losing our minds and lashing out. I mean you can't even pretend these threads are signal boosting TLP anymore when 80% of the posts are about how horrible they are. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

abutteredpig

Oct 30, 2017

Ok it was a mistake to post the Bernie thing. It's not about Bernie; its just a loigical inconsistency on who gets cancelled and who we're fine with.

I am going to vote for Biden. I support Biden and will probably volunteer for him. Seeing him eagerly team up with the people who helped get us into this mess sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. I'm dubious about people's assertions that the Dems are just going to kick these people to the curb instead of working with them

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd 100% advise against giving these fuckers a penny.

But if conservatives want to spend lots of money attacking Trump, forcing other conservatives to spend lots of money defending him, it's 100% something I'm going to enjoy following.

If TLP weren't doing this, Trump would be doing better, and TLP would have more money in their war chest to use against progressives down the line.

So yeah, I'm good with it.

It's like when the protagonist teams up with a rival/bad guy to take down the bigger threat. We're allies for now, but that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ok it was a mistake to post the Bernie thing. It's not about Bernie; its just a loigical inconsistency on who gets cancelled and who we're fine with.

I am going to vote for Biden. I support Biden and will probably volunteer for him. Seeing him eagerly team up with the people who helped get us into this mess sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. I'm dubious about people's assertions that the Dems are just going to kick these people to the curb instead of working with them

Its not inconsistancy. People gave Bernie sh*t because he actually promoted that Rogan link. Biden has not done the same with TLP.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Like I said, bookmark me and feed me crow when any TLP get a seat at the table in the new admin.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enough with these bullshit generalizations. How about actually contributing to this thread instead of speaking on behalf of others and making up fake scenarios?

Sorry does not jerking off republicans mean I'm not contributing? And what the fuck do you mean by speaking the behalf of others? I'm a fucking trans woman. Am I not allowed to share my feelings about this?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"The opposition is tearing out its own throat, we have to stop them or they'll tear out our throat next."
well they do have like 13 heads, so the numbers don't look good if they only tear like 3 or 4 of their own throats. I would prefer if they stabbed themselves in the heart as well.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It's like when the protagonist teams up with a rival/bad guy to take down the bigger threat. We're allies for now, but that's it.

Seriously, you'd think a gaming board would love this comic/movie/anime trope but this doesn't have a lot of levity for some. Dark humor enjoyer in me even allows for the stupidest of escapisms to come into this stuff, adjacent to being adjacent to a life or death election. Just keeps me calmer for some reason but eh.

Someone posted that Frieza/Goku vs Jiren pic in one of these threads and I died laughing.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, you'd think a gaming board would love this comic/movie/anime trope but this doesn't have a lot of levity for some. Dark humor enjoyer in me even allows for the stupidest of escapisms to come into this stuff, adjacent to being adjacent to a life or death election. Just keeps me calmer for some reason but eh.

I don't enjoy working with people who supported heinous shit in the past that costed lives no. And I don't do dumb comic book shit with politics because, surprise surprise, Dr. Doom isn't a real fucking person. If he was I wouldn't joke about him.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy working with people who supported heinous shit in the past that costed lives no. And I don't do dumb comic book shit with politics because, surprise surprise, Dr. Doom isn't a real fucking person. If he was I wouldn't joke about him.

I mean, I'd joke about him if he'd do foot dive on the equivalent of a Republican in this very clear fantasy and people in Latveria would have a higher standard of life than almost everywhere, but you're right, his despotic shit wouldn't be super cool.

you need to relax.gif, plus Doom would obvs be smart enough to screw us over after the fact so he'd be perfect for your analogy. Your loss! /s

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Having common purpose (defeating Trump) is not the same as working with someone. As far as I know, nobody is working with TLP.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here's the thing, as a marginalized member of the community, if someone says something fucked up to you, even if they didn't mean it, they need to apologize. Until they do, it's still "outright hostility." Making excuses? Also hostility. If the mods allow it? Well then the mods are also hostile.

I see Nexas is banned for telling the person who invalidated her experience as a marginalized trans woman to fuck off, as if it's somehow unreasonable for her to get hostile or angry in a thread where he pulled that shit. Amazing: somehow, ya'll exceeded my expectations and managed do worse than nothing. Go ahead and action me for backseat modding; I won't be the last minority you drive away.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Would you send them to a GOP relative and expect them to change their mind? With shit like "Trump, the guy you liked, is actually a Confederate?"

Depends on the relative. People who were fans of Romney (white suburbanites in particular) are trending away from the GOP. Some of them haven't made it yet to the place where they'll vote Dem, but this kinda stuff pushes them to at least stay home, write in Reagan, or even take the plunge and cast a vote for a (D).

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Seeing him eagerly team up with the people who helped get us into this mess sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. I'm dubious about people's assertions that the Dems are just going to kick these people to the curb instead of working with them

Biden hasn't teamed up with The Lincoln Project. The Democrats aren't working with them.

"These Republicans will be welcomed into the Democratic party and the Democrats will become just like the Republicans" is a fantasy scenario people have dreamed up, not an inevitable reality.

I see Nexas is banned for telling the person who invalidated her experience as a marginalized trans woman to fuck off

That's not what happened. That user has already explained the misunderstanding:

Uh, I am a marginalized voice, hence my phrasing: "as a marginalized voice," I'm not questioning your identity so please don't participate in the erasure of mine.

I understood what they meant, despite your insistence that:

Yeah, no I'm pretty sure she read it the same way the rest of us did.

Folks here really need to stop speaking for "the rest of us". There is no single "marginalized people" group that any one user can claim to speak for, and people need to stop using this imaginary unified group as a weapon to attack and/or silence other users.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden hasn't teamed up with The Lincoln Project. The Democrats aren't working with them.

"These Republicans will be welcomed into the Democratic party and the Democrats will become just like the Republicans" is a fantasy scenario people have dreamed up, not an inevitable reality.

That's not what happened. That user has already explained the misunderstanding:

I understood what they meant, despite your insistence that:

Folks here really need to stop speaking for "the rest of us". There is no single "marginalized people" group that any one user can claim to speak for, and people need to stop using this imaginary unified group as a weapon to attack and/or silence other users.

Don't be so absurdly dense; his target clearly read him the same way the a lot of us did. And by us, I meant the others who also saw that post for what it was; us does not mean everyone, although I'm sure you're friggin' dying to try and nail me with that one. And like I said, even under the most generous interpretation, an apology is still owed, because discrimination isn't about intent, it's about the recipient. Otherwise mods should PM every single JAQoff or dismissive asshole and ask them to clarify their intent before they lay down their bans.

And for that matter, claiming to speak for minorities or misrepresenting anyone's concern with the underprivileged has not mattered up until this point as far as moderation goes; regardless, it's something not inherently as banworthy as unapologetically invalidating someone's marginalized status. Guess what, trans folks aren't a large part of the population anywhere. To somehow to get two of them banned in the same day should have you evaluating whether this forum is an environment that actively makes them unwelcome.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Official Staff Communication
The fact that there is a segment of the GOP that is willing to go against the bulk of the party is a newsworthy, and quite unusual, thing. However, we don't need threads for the ads themselves.

If a reputable news article arises on their existence and the work that they do, feel free to post that. They can also come up as discussion in US politics threads, as they are relevant to the current election. But the threads created about the ads themselves lead to little productive discussion. Legitimate concerns have also been raised about endorsing them given the individuals behind them, so those threads will be locked going forward.

The staff have been listening to all feedback (as there are marginalized voices on both sides of this debate, some of whom want to discuss the ads) and we believe this is a good compromise that takes all concerns into account. If you have any further concerns, please reach out to staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.