• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cracking read, packed full with stuff I'd never heard of before.

He lied through his teeth about the size of his company, schmoozed anyone at Nintendo that he could get his hands on, pioneered the concept of the Nintendo Kid's Club and generally was a hugely influential (but largely unknown to those outside of Scandinavia) figure in Nintendo's overseas businesses. It's a great tale.

May 10, 2019
tenor.gif

That was a great read, thanks for posting it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this story is fantastic!
And pretty unkown.

Im glad that the man helped NoE get a start thanks to everything he did in sweden.

For peole that think is only a read article. Theres a 20 minutes video which i think is mich better. Has lovely game and watch visuals and great photos.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Awesome story. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Club Nintendo portion of the story reminds me how I still have a small axe to grind about that period in time circa the Wii - Wii U era when Bergsala closed down Club Nintendo and we got literally none of the cool benefits that US and the rest of Europe got. We still got all those redeemable codes shoved into the game cases that we really couldn't do anything with but throw away or hoard for a UK account that couldn't ship physical goods over to us (there was even a section on their website where they told customers that they should throw the codes out since they can't do anything with them). Felt so left out considering they were trailblazers at one point, but thankfully that's all different now and we're back to the same level as everyone else. (Oddly, when I finished watching this video, My Nintendo sent me a message that my SNES posters shipped. What a cosmic coincidence.)

Anyway, that was a great story. Amazing testament to perseverance, definitely explains why Nintendo's always felt so ingrained in this country, and makes me feel innate pride about it. Visiting Marios Gata for the first time the other month was a pretty fun, surreal experience. It really emphasized how Bergsala weren't just some distributor but actual partners who assimilated the DNA of Nintendo and are proud of making that association known.

Last edited:

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
probably the best thing I read about videogames this year.
Thank you for sharing and thanks Joe Skrebels for writing this amazing story that literally made my day a lot better.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Great video, highly informative and had no idea about any of this.

(Also, living for the NOM/ONM shoutout towards the end.)

empo

Jan 27, 2018
As a swedish kid that grew up with the NES I've heard parts of this story before but never really with the context of how early Bergsala was for western distribution. Very cool but as NotLiquid mentions they haven't always been the best and nintendo.se right now is just a bunch of nothing, atleast you can order stuff from NoE.

You even got a member card for being in their club! (lol)
medlemskort_small3.jpg

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool, I love articles like this that uncover nuggets of information from history. This is true journalism!

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
medlemskort_small3.jpg

Oh wow, this brings back memories, haven't seen one of these in forever.

Anyway, this is a fantastic read. Been waiting years for someone to tell this story to an international audience, as it has previously only been known among swedish gaming magazine readers.

I feel that most of the situation in Scandinavia is unknown and the narrative of video games in Europe is skewed by the UK and continental Europe. Sweden (and the Nordic countries) has always been Nintendo dominated thanks to Bergsala. Always irks me when the common narrative about Europe in the 80s is that Nintendo was a non-factor, ignoring the Nordic countries.

Anyway, it's pretty wild to imagine what would have happened if Nintendo debuted the NES (or rather the Famicom) in Sweden rather than the US.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Great story, thanks for sharing the article.
As a swedish kid that grew up with the NES I've heard parts of this story before but never really with the context of how early Bergsala was for western distribution. Very cool but as NotLiquid mentions they haven't always been the best and nintendo.se right now is just a bunch of nothing, atleast you can order stuff from NoE.

medlemskort_small3.jpg
Heh, that's exactly how it looked here in Finland too (except in Finnish ofc), such a shame I've lost it.

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing this - very interesting, and I love reading about these kind of stories from the early days of video games.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
That is one great piece of journalism ! I don't know if business could still be made that way today

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Love stories like this. The risk he went out on to buy that initial 30,000 units is immense.

That is one great piece of journalism ! I don't know if business could still be made that way today

Not a chance, like he says with the internet the fact checking would have stopped this cold in its tracks.

Although I have to admit a lot of the business decisions and relationships built with customers are still over dinner and a drink. People wonder why folks still travel for business in a time when we can video chat effortlessly. The bonding over dinner and common interests not even related to what you are trying to sell/buy can make or break deals.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

medlemskort_small3.jpg
This brings back memories, even though they looked different in the Netherlands. Oh, and they were effectively useless lol

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That was a nice vid, I've talked to Owe a few years ago and he's very interesting to listen to.
NES truly was a beast in the Nordic countries. It was a phenomenon.

Launch lineup on September 1st 1986
  • Excitebike
  • Ice Climber
  • Mario Bros.
  • Pinball
  • Popeye
  • Tennis
And ending with the Lion King in may 1995 it enjoyed a long and very succesful life. System sold 740K in the nordics and best selling game were SMB with roughly 270K units sold.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect this to be about Bergsala when I clicked this thread. Really awesome story and although my thoughts of Bergsala have been mixed throughout the years, they obviousy played an incredibly important role in getting Nintendo goodness to us in Scandinavia

Oct 25, 2017
That's not an exaggeration: the building's address is 'Marios Gata 21'. 21 Mario Street. This telex set the course for the rest of Bergsten's life, introduced Nintendo to Europe on a scale it had never seen, even arguably helped pave the way for its move into western markets as a whole.
holy shit
Today, Bergsala is the only non-Nintendo owned Nintendo distributor in the world.
holy shit
In 2008, a disillusioned Brjann Sigurgeirsson, head of game-for-hire developer Image & Form, saw a company called Bergsala in a local newspaper, which (incorrectly) listed it as a publisher for Nintendo games. On a whim, he called the company's head office, asking if it could start publishing his games too - a move you might describe as 'Bergstenian'. He went unnoticed for some time but, eventually, Bergsala got in touch, going on to buy exactly half of Sigurgeirsson's company.
WHAT

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Legend. Thanks for sharing, might be one of my favourite stories about Nintendo.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
What a hustler, respect to the man, it worked out pretty well for him.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Finished watching the video. Incredible story and stuff. I really enjoy this kind of docs/journalism.

Congrats to everyone involved at IGN. Hopefully they can keep doing more of this!

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Awesome story. Definitely wouldn't happen nowadays. Respect for even trying to lie to the company.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great article. I wasn't aware of the story behind Bergsala, or the entire "fan club" origins.
However, the following part:
Today, Bergsala is the only non-Nintendo owned Nintendo distributor in the world.
Isn't exactly correct, there are other third party Nintendo distributors around the world. A notable example would be Maxsoft in southeast Asia.