• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Just started it for the first time and wow. Back in 2010 I was blown away by the fact that you could aim your gun at someone and rob them but RDR2 takes it to a whole new level beyond just the person-to-person interaction.

I'm only a few hours in but I've had an encounter where I've saved a stranger in the wild to later randomly meet him in town, buying me a gun of my choice as reward. Had my honour decreased for looting the body of a stranger I saw killed by his horse. Had my honour increased for telling a homeless vet my name. Getting jumped by outlaws out in the wild recognizing me as one of Dutch's men. Not to mention the companion moments and all the little things in the camp.

I love the Assassin's Creed series and appreciate that they have a different focus with much shorter dev time but I really wish those and other open world games like Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc. tried to put at least a few little touches like this to make their world feel like a living breath world.

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Red dead was full of these in terms of really making the world feel 'alive' and realistic in a sense. GTA still has my faovurite interactions because they can be so hillarious and end up having random car pile ups.

Despite that, RDR2 main focus for me was its fantastic narraitve and writing. And of course its visuals

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The small interactions at camp were what really impressed me. The dynamics at play just in the act of walking around camp are kind of staggering. It honestly feels beyond what this generation is capable of.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
User Warned - Thread Derailment
Game will be remembered longer than God of War. Not sure how that won GOTY

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Actually the level of interaction with real world in RDR2 is really low, you just actived a scripted event, and you will realize soon when there will be a guy to save near every town and every guy will gave you something to buy for free like they were printed in mass production.

Same for every first time you pass a bridge = ambush!

The game is incredibly scripted, but I get that in the first hours you can think is some advanced tech or so, sadly it isn't.

Worse part is that you can't even rob a store without being detected, someone will always know you are making a robber anyway.

Eh... best part of RDR2 is hunting, that's were the game can shine, animals interaction are the most interesting ones, other thing is just a bunch of script and very low real interaction, the game will always decide what you can do or not.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
One time I "antagonized" a random guy in Valentine and he went OFF on me, attacked me instantly and totally lost it. One thing leads to another and I wind up gunning him down, and on his corpse I find a letter. It was from a woman who said she was leaving him because of his temper.

Mind was blown.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah there is, but the actual missions feel so restrictive in terms of how you approach them. It is an interesting contrast. The game felt like an interactive TV series to me, and a very entertaining one with an excellent central narrative. It definitely didn't achieve as good a balance to me as Witcher 3 though. Felt that was for sure the better marriage of cinematic story telling and open world gaming.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
One time I "antagonized" a random guy in Valentine and he went OFF on me, attacked me instantly and totally lost it. One thing leads to another and I wind up gunning him down, and on his corpse I find a letter. It was from a woman who said she was leaving him because of his temper.

Mind was blown.
The never-ending "one thing leads to another" is the magic of RDR2.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The level of interaction in the game feels all over the place. The mixture of "organic" and scripted can feel pretty jarring at times.

Game will be remembered longer than God of War. Not sure how that won GOTY

On the plus side at least you're clearly at peace with other people rating games differently than you.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
It is impressive, but maybe they should have refined the core gameplay instead of wasting time on some stupid details like Horse balls.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil

Mind was blown.

Jesus. I need to replay this

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely agree. When all was said and done I preferred the story Red Dead 1 told, but the gameplay of Red Dead 2 makes it the best game of the past few years, it was an incredible experience. Looking forward to replaying it a few years down the road when I have a better PC.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Mind was blown.
That's just amazing, I beat RDR2 and don't think I encountered anything like that but then again I tried not gunning down anyone besides the KKK and Nightfolk. They did an amazing job, the world is so rich with stuff to find and people to see. I'm a big Skyrim and Fallout guy so I love the stories you find in the world. Could be an empty house full of corpses or just a letter found that leads to discovering something or someone.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest and most ambitious game ever made. Doubt we'll get the level of interaction and meticulous detail in another game for a long long time.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I carried a dead deer that I'd skinned, and noticed that my coat was stained with its blood, I was stunned. Videogames never have this sort of detail.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I can't stop thinking about the game and the adventures I had on it. And these threads get me everytime. Game was something else.

There's just so much to discover. And I never found a single dinosaur bone lol.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
All these little things are what makes RDR2 the best open world game to me by far. It truly felt like the world was alive.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The visual detail and production values in an open world are unmatched. I load the game up just to walk around for that reason alone.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Illusion of depth and living world starts to crack when you have traversed world back and forth few times, you learn exact spots in the world that spawn X, Y and Z "events". X is always in same spot when RNG has it to spawn etc.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
There is a STUPID amount of detail put into the camp. It's fucking ridiculous.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Actually the level of interaction with real world in RDR2 is really low, you just actived a scripted event, and you will realize soon when there will be a guy to save near every town and every guy will gave you something to buy for free like they were printed in mass production.

Same for every first time you pass a bridge = ambush!

The game is incredibly scripted, but I get that in the first hours you can think is some advanced tech or so, sadly it isn't.

Worse part is that you can't even rob a store without being detected, someone will always know you are making a robber anyway.

This was largely my experience with the game. The magic sort of wears off the longer you play and realise there's a lot of content recycling and scripted events. You certainly have interesting encounters, but they're the same encounters everyone has. Everything the OP outlined in their post mirrors exactly what I ran into.

It's undeniably packed with content and scenarios, but they are not organic. They are activated in the same way and play out the same way.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that it hides the scripting well, I suppose. The same interactions and events repeat frequently.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's weird seeing a mainstream rockstar open world game being called less casual, especially being a sequel to one of the most popular games this decade.

RDR 2 is very casual game at its core, it's just slow game. By the design everything takes longer to get done than gamers are used to now days.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Sometimes I pop in and just ride around, more times than not I encounter something new, and I already beat the game and spent 70 hours in that world. The amount of stuff in that game is truly remarkable.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
RDR 2 is very casual game at its core, it's just slow game. By the design everything takes longer to get done than gamers are used to now days.

I agree with this. I hated how it felt to play at first because everything felt so slow, but once I learned to take a step back and not try and rush it I felt myself enjoying it much more.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 does have these moments actually. You could help some npc for the npc to come back to your help as you explore later, or find a punished npc in the background found as a corpse located in another area out on an island. Witcher 3 has tons of these hidden moments.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The first hour or two, you won't see the patterns too much. Afterwards though...
Exactly

It's all smoke and mirrors. When you start, you think that these interactions are organic.

But the more you play, you begin to realise that what you once thought as organic was in fact a lot of scripted sequences.

The world of RDR 2 is full of them, giving you an idea that "anything can happen", but listening to other players experiences, you start to realise that everyone experienced the same things

That guy being killed by his horse, "Gavin", the dude buying you a gun ...

RDR 2 world feels lived in, but it sure as hell does not have as much emergent situations as you may think

They should have randomized those events in order to make the game replayable.

Like, the guy being kicked by his horse appearing 1 out of 3 gameplays or something